Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 6:27:55 AM EDT
I'm looking to upgrade from my Marlin model 60 to a Ruger 10/22, but I have a few questions.  First, can you change your own barrels?  If so, does it require any special tools?  I want to put a Tac-Sol threaded barrel on it.  What kind of scope attachment points does the Ruger have?  Drilled and tapped for mount or integrated rail?  Last, what's the stock trigger like on a 10/22?  The Marlin's trigger is pretty poor, but it works.  Is it difficult to change out trigger groups on a 10/22 if I don't like the stock one?  As you can see, I have no experience with the Ruger platform and appreciate your help very much.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Replacing any part is very easy, even the barrel.
If you want a threaded barrel you will have to have the receiver tapped.
Receiver is drilled and tapped for a base.
Stock trigger is not that great but easy to work on and/or replace parts to make it a lot better.
Whole trigger groups are very easy to swap out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Stock trigger is not that great but easy to work on and/or replace parts to make it a lot better.

Can you explain this a little more?  I'm not sure I follow.  Thanks for the info.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you want a threaded barrel you will have to have the receiver tapped.No he wont. He is referring to the muzzle end being threaded

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you explain this a little more?  I'm not sure I follow.  Thanks for the info.  MJD

The barrels swap in and out with 2 allen screws and a vblock. Simple to change.
He thought you ment screwing the barrel into the reciever.

+1 For the Tactical Solutions barrle. Solid choice. You have a can inbound?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not as of yet, but I have another thread running in the American Class III forum asking for opinions.  With a little luck I will shortly.  I want to be able to move the can between the 10/22 and my Buckmark.  It's also going to sport a Tac-Sol threaded barrel.  The big thing is, I'd like to be able to clean the can myself so that kind of limits my choices.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not as of yet, but I have another thread running in the American Class III forum asking for opinions.  With a little luck I will shortly.  I want to be able to move the can between the 10/22 and my Buckmark.  It's also going to sport a Tac-Sol threaded barrel.  The big thing is, I'd like to be able to clean the can myself so that kind of limits my choices.  MJD

They are out there. There is a local MFG that is making a 22 can that has threaded caps on both ends allowing for complete dissassembly. The cans are very quiet and are FA rated. There is also the Tac65 cans. If you would like contact info LMK via IM.

Anyway, good luck and you cant go wrong with a 10/22. Check out www.rimfirecentral.com for some good info on 10/22s and others.

CH

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes that is what I thought you were asking about. Some people thread the receiver and the barrel to reduce barrel droop.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes that is what I thought you were asking about. Some people thread the receiver and the barrel to reduce barrel droop.

I know but its not really needed if you bed the gun correctly
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The last word on 10/22 is to be found at   rimfirecentral.com
*If you have about 2 weeks to paw thru it all!
As others have said swapping out a barrel is a 5 min job with one allen wrench for the barrel and a screwdriver for the stock removal.
Stock scope mounting is provided by tapped holes in the top of the reciever,remove hole plugs (small screws) and mount a rail with screws into these holes. Throw away the cheesy rail provided by ruger that only accepts the narrow rimfire sized rings. Go to your gunstore or mailorder outfit and buy a rail for about $10 (packaged with correct hole spaceing for the 10/22) ,This better rail (metal vs plastic) is sized to take the narrow rimfire sized rings or the standard weaver sized rings. use thread locker (locktite ect) and be gentle but firm because the reciever is aluminum . sometimes the provided screws are a bit long and drag on the bolt, grind them or file them untill all works slick .
If you get real crazy with a giant scope for a bench rest gun the hot setup is a cantiliver scope mount that mounts to the top of the barrel and extends back over the reciever. This is an expensive setup!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top