Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/27/2006 9:29:14 PM EDT
haha

just wondering if there are any super fast .22 ammo out there or maybe someone who has tweaked with homeade stuff and reached velocity of 1750 fps or more

i was kinda wondering about custom made .22 rimfire bullets something .........

just another attemp to find a exciting new thing to do to the 10/22 machine
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:29:30 AM EDT
Reloading a rimfire?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:36:09 AM EDT
no not reloading, just pullin bullets and messin with powder or making some custom bullets

just a weird question but i thought there might be some worldclass rimfire guys out there that have played with some rounds

just a weird question i guess
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:07:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Glockster19:
no not reloading, just pullin bullets and messin with powder or making some custom bullets

just a weird question but i thought there might be some worldclass rimfire guys out there that have played with some rounds

just a weird question i guess

.22lr operates at a high pressure level. . .dont mess with powder charges or you might end up doing something you'll regret. aren't Stingers or Yellow Jackets fast enough for you?

AND DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE RIMFIRE BULLETS WITH A HAMMER TYPE PULLER . . .might go boom

just forget about the whole idea
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:16:56 PM EDT
You want faster, get a .17HMR. Stingers are zipping around 1640 as it is. Is an extra 90FPS really going to make that much of a difference? MJD
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:33:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 1:36:46 PM EDT by wildearp]
CCI Velocitor.

linky

1435 fps. I likee.

.17 HM2

clickee

2010 fps
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:36:15 PM EDT
.22 magnum
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:55:15 PM EDT
Ah, dude, pullin bullets and stuff, that IS reloading.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:58:23 PM EDT
yes i know guys

im just looking for the exsperts i know its reloading i know its not a good idea

but im not just talking about messing with powders im talking about messing with bullets also maybe pullin bullets off a stinger and using a modified or lighter bullet

im sure everbody said trying to fly an airplane wasnt a good idea way back when if you think its a bad idea then dont say anything im looking for custom combinations more or less

im looking to do some trials and i was just asking if anybody had ever messed with the stuff if you havnt thats fine i have ways to do it in a controled safe enviroment so im gonna mess with it and have some custom bullets molds made so on

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:09:10 PM EDT
there was a guy who was doign this to make 5mm ammunition, and I am thinking of doing it as well for my old 5mm, but damned if I won't be very very careful doing it
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:09:27 PM EDT
.17HMR is your friend.

My 10/22 will hit a pop can every time at 100 yards.

A .17 should be able to hit golf balls every time at 100 yards....maybe even further.

Are you trying to make .22lr more accurate? If that's your goal...isnt most match ammo subsonic or almost subsonic?

I'd suggest getting a 10/22 magnum...and rebarrel it in .17hmr. Or just rebarrel your 10/22 to .17hm2.
(or do what I might do this summer, get a savage bolt gun w/ accutrigger)
But you can do whatever you want, I won't stop you.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:15:40 PM EDT
Step 1) set up web cam ...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:37:55 PM EDT
i have a .17 already and all im trying to do is exsperiment with my 22 i know a 17 is accurate i still havnt tuned mine in totaly

and im not gonna buy a svage just for the accu trigger its a very nice gun but hard to get parts for

ive got custom trigger groups on all my rimfires and most are adjustable and very very smooth

im simply trying to descover something with .22 ammo most manufacturers aret gonna put alot of r&d into their 22 ammo so i am gonna
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:44:19 PM EDT
Yeah, I've thought about it. Never actually tried it. I always thought about pulling the bullets out of Eley or Agulia ammo, since they use the most consistant primeing method, and then stuffing the powder and bullet out of a Stinger or Quik-Shok into the case. However, they roll crimp the F*&K out of 'em, and they are damn hard to get out w/o skinning stuff up. Like I said, never got around to actually doing it hhmmmm...............................
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:13:28 PM EDT

haha

just wondering if there are any super fast .22 ammo out there or maybe someone who has tweaked with homeade stuff and reached velocity of 1750 fps or more

i was kinda wondering about custom made .22 rimfire bullets something .........

just another attemp to find a exciting new thing to do to the 10/22 machine

I read that the crimp on a lead bullet rimfire round is very important to it's proper firing or consistancy or something important like that. If you can't get the crimp right again, I think that anything you could do to heat up a round would be lost without it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:51:35 AM EDT
Funny I should see this thread, as I am currently developing a .22 cartridge for defensive use, that will be comparable in power to a .357 magnum. I'm going to call it the ".22 Macho Grande".

<­BR>Yes, it's a joke, and only made possible through the use of video-editing software, but the chick I'm sending the "test footage" to will fall for it hook, line, and sinker (she knows nothing about firearms).
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:25:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zardoz:
Funny I should see this thread, as I am currently developing a .22 cartridge for defensive use, that will be comparable in power to a .357 magnum. I'm going to call it the ".22 Macho Grande".

<­BR>Yes, it's a joke, and only made possible through the use of video-editing software, but the chick I'm sending the "test footage" to will fall for it hook, line, and sinker (she knows nothing about firearms).

haha! post the video for us please?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:09:29 AM EDT
I'm going to upload it somewhere, and then I'll post a link to it. I have to decide exactly what kind of video to make, and how to det it up to be at least a little convincing, though. A friend of mine has convinced me to use a .12ga slug as the "stunt bullet".
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:17:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wildearp:
CCI Velocitor.

linky

1435 fps. I likee.

.17 HM2

clickee

2010 fps

Don't forget Aguila super maximum, 30gr pill at 1750fps(shot a couple nver chronoed, but you can tell it's on the hot side for a .22lr.)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:47:43 PM EDT
i know about the rounds currently made

my ideas are more based upon using eley rounds and toying with some powder and putting like a custom made 20grn bullet in or maybe just using a stinger bullet

but thanks for the comments
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 7:27:48 PM EDT by wildearp]
By a centerfire. silk purse, sows ear, etc. ect.......
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:32:31 PM EDT
You can also use the high velocity Aguila ammo Super Maximum 30 grain bullet which they claim 1750 fps. There are many high velocity .22 rounds including the ones mentioned in previous replies. I would NOT mess trying to chanfe the .22 rimfire rounds, it's too dangerous and factory ammo IS available.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 10:55:34 PM EDT by 762mmFMJ]
I used to make my own "gallery loads". I would pull the bullet with pliers, very carefully, and dump the powder. Then I would either use lead shot of the right diameter(can't recall the size) or make a wax bullet by melting wax onto a plate so it would form a sheet of wax about 1/4in thick when it solidified. Then I would press the case mouths into the wax like a cookie cutter, and it would make basically a wax wadcutter bullet. These loads were great for basement target practice in the winter.
I haven't done this in years since my local gunshops started stocking factory CCI CB caps. Now I just use those. I never tried to make any super velocity loads though. CCI Stingers are fast enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:32:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 3:35:23 AM EDT by manowar669]
I made exploding .22 rounds when I was younger. I used a drill bit, and by twisting with my fingers, bored out the hollow points of a few CCI stingers, almost to the bullet base. Using an exacto knife, I trimmed the bullets nose profile to resemble a percussion nipple of a blackpowder firearm. I filled the cavity with FFF black powder. Capped it with a #11 percussion cap. They worked really well. They even detonated on 2 liter bottles filled with water. the recovered bullets looked like a penny with a hole in the middle. About an inch across. Apparently the charge blew through the base of the bullet. When fired into wood, they blew a wide, but shallow cavity about 1.5 inches across, about 2 inches deep. That was over 15 years ago. I wouldn't mess with that again, but I often wondered what would happen if I shot a propane tank with them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:56:06 AM EDT
ive always wondered what would ha\ppen if you took Stinger and AQ 60 grainer's and made a ballistic type bullets for them like a mini ballistic tip

would think it would harvest better velocities and maybe even more stable through the air?

have the companies tried this and it failed or is it something that just wasnt feesable for them to do? i would love to try some more radically formed 22 bullets i also think this would really accel in the Aq sub sonic rounds

what do you think
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:24:40 PM EDT
Sounds like a darwin award in waiting to me, but to each their own.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:15:20 AM EDT

Don't forget Aguila super maximum, 30gr pill at 1750fps(shot a couple nver chronoed, but you can tell it's on the hot side for a .22lr.)

I've chrono'd this stuff out of my AR-7 (16") & it goes 1600fps or so, which is still pretty good.

It's also reliable in that gun, which chokes on typical cheap "HV" 22's with 36 grain bullets.

Flat shooting & you definitely notice the bullets getting on target at 100 yards much quicker.

Recommended.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:13:31 PM EDT
a 22 round reaches max velocity out of a 18" inch barrel any mor eor less slows it

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:36:23 AM EDT

a 22 round reaches max velocity out of a 18" inch barrel any mor eor less slows it

Wouldnt that depend on the powder used?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:08:38 PM EDT
Green mountain baarels said max velocity is reached with a 18" barrel

not much stats if you used different powders to get one to go faster out of a longer barrel then that powder combo would make more out of a 18" is what i have been told dont get mad at me im sure you are more then an expert then me and also from what i ahve learned fromt his thread knowobdy reloads them and there for powders cant be messed with so from what GM said the max velocity is reached with a 18" barrel

im no exspert and i would be glad to be proven wrong cause that means i could get a better set up
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:18:19 PM EDT
wouldn't it be easier to go with 22 hornet? (yes it's centerfire)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:20:29 AM EDT
NO IT WOULDNT BE EASIER AND IT WOULD DEF COST MORE THE WHOLE IDEA BEHIND BUILDING A TOP OF THE LINE 22 RIFLE IS CAUSE WHEN ALL SAID AND DONE YOU GOT A TACK DRIVER THAT CAN BE SHOT ALL DAY FOR $10

22 HORNET WOULD COST YOU DOUBLE THAT FOR A BOX

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:00:28 AM EDT

I'm going to call it the ".22 Macho Grande".

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:29:13 AM EDT
Look on RFC for a thread in the Ammunition area of the board.

Same goes for homegunsmith.com
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:13:04 PM EDT
this be the fuckin stupidest thread i readed today
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:11:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kjedmondson182:

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:19:44 PM EDT
isnt aguila super high velocity rated up there too?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:58:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RRA-A2:

Originally Posted By Zardoz:

haha! post the video for us please?

I would show you shooting the .22 rifle, then switch camera view to milk jugs getting hit by a .223. That will surely convince her.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:41:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By svi40:

Originally Posted By kjedmondson182:

+1

+2

Jesus!!

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:36:52 AM EDT

isnt aguila super high velocity rated up there too?

Please read the response at the top of the page -
Top Top