Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/18/2006 10:51:57 AM EDT
A good, reliable, accurate enough .22LR.

I took my brand new 10/22 out and ran 500 hundred rounds through it yesterday. It prefers the Remington Thunderbolt ammo for now, but it was between that and Federal El Cheapo 525 bulk pack, which didn't do as well. I won't be buying that stuff again. Didn't bother with getting the scope aimed up better than when it was aligned using the boresighter, and it hit pop cans at 50 yards holding just a little high. A couple of clicks later on the elevation, and it was point of aim. Pop pop pop!! Yeehaw!

For anyone thinking about getting one of these for some cheap fun, I highly recomend it. Ruger 10/22 carbine, bushnell $20 scope, 5 mags, and a $10 brick of ammo makes for some cheap fun. My whole family likes shooting it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:22:59 PM EDT
Agreed, I'd also say get a .22 pistol. I used to run around 1000 rounds a week through mine, now that I work only shoot around 100-200 a week though.

Great cheap shooting practice.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:49:22 PM EDT
I second that, well except the new one issue,
I have had one since I was 3 (24 now) my parents have pics of me dragging it around by the barrel. (BTW Gun Safety was not a big issue when I was a kid we had access to guns at all times) , it even looks the part, prolly no less than 20k rounds through the gun and still runs like a top, I decided to replace it with a new one that wouldnt run for shit, so sold the new one and still run the old one. But was in Wal-mart today looking at buying a new stainless one for a custom build, and the prices has gone up something awefull. $214 for stainless, $189 for blued.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:51:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kells81:
I second that, well except the new one issue,
I have had one since I was 3 (24 now) my parents have pics of me dragging it around by the barrel. (BTW Gun Safety was not a big issue when I was a kid we had access to guns at all times) , it even looks the part, prolly no less than 20k rounds through the gun and still runs like a top, I decided to replace it with a new one that wouldnt run for shit, so sold the new one and still run the old one. But was in Wal-mart today looking at buying a new stainless one for a custom build, and the prices has gone up something awefull. $214 for stainless, $189 for blued.

Shop around some more. I've seen them go on sale for $149...sometimes $139, every so often.
The stainless one only has a stainless bbl. anyways. The reciever is basically painted silver.
You'd be better off buying blued and stripping and polishing everything.

I picked my 10/22 up used for $100 from a friend. You could look in pawn shops also.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:32:44 PM EDT
[
Shop around some more. I've seen them go on sale for $149...sometimes $139, every so often.
The stainless one only has a stainless bbl. anyways. The reciever is basically painted silver.
You'd be better off buying blued and stripping and polishing everything.

Do you have any more info on stripping and polishing?
I've only had mine for a couple of years and the wear on the blued steel is really showing...

Thanks, nm556
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:31:50 PM EDT
there are two types of 10/22's i have seen that are readily available at most walmarts and sporting goods stores.

the cheap cabine with bbl band for $149 and the nicer rifle which is either blued $189 or ss $214
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:31:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 7:45:32 PM EDT by YOPD]

Originally Posted By ICEAGE:
Agreed, I'd also say get a .22 pistol.
Great cheap shooting practice.

I have my granpappy's made in the 1950's Ruger Mark II. Maybe one of these days, I'll stop shooting it long enough to clean it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:35:04 PM EDT
It's on my list of things to get.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:54:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:
It's on my list of things to get.

It should be near the top
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:20:37 AM EDT
A ruger 10/22 with a Ruger MKII pistol and a few thousand rounds of ammo can keep me happy all day at the range. Dirt cheap fun!.
Top Top