Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 6:19:23 AM EDT
I saw that Chipmunk POS at Wallyworld.  But I was wondering what REAL bolt gun single shots there are out there.

I have an OLD Rem model 510 targetmaster that I love.  I went to see if a youth version was available, but the targemaster has been out of production since 1962!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Could always buy a CZ452 or other cheap .22's and have the stock shortened a bit
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I had bought the Chipmunk for the daughter as a Christmas gift. She was concerned about no safety and I wanted a nicer bolt gun for her.
She has shot my 17 hmr Savage bolt so I bought the Savage Cub for her. It has the Acu Trigger and a decent set of sights. Once she them well I will scope it for her.
The CZ is nice but big dollars. It can be converted from single shot to magazine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Could always buy a CZ452 or other cheap .22's and have the stock shortened a bit

I'll fire up the google!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a Remington model 504, then shorten the stock.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get a Remington model 504, then shorten the stock.

That's my gun.  w00t!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#6]
CZ also makes a youth model, the Scout. I like the Henry Mini-bolt I bought my son.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll fire up the google!  Thanks.

If Cheap is the word, then maybe you should look for a Romanian trainer. They can be very accurate, but cost very little.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:46:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The Rem 504 looks good, but on second glance, it doesn't appear to come with irons.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#9]
My uncle has one of the romainian trainers, nice little rifle and it looks like you could do a fair bit of tinkering with it if you so desired.  On the first comment about the chipmunk, my father got my little brother one probably 10 or 12 years ago and it was a nice little rifle.  Not sure if thats the same type WalMart sells but it had an adjustable peep sight in the rear and is really accurate.  Last year we set up a little 20ft range in the basement and shot some of those mexican (name escapes me) short 22s and it was dead accurate at that range, all in one hole in 3 and 5 shot groups.  As a kid I remember my brother plinking cans 25 and 50 yards pretty consistantly.  So just cause its small and single shot doesn't make it a POS.

I remember my first rifle experience being a US WW1 22 trainer that was also single shot.  Those kind of memories you just can't buy :)

Justin
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#10]
My issue with the chipmunk is that Cheezy cocking mechanism.  It doesn't translate to a real firearms system.

Shoot!  Maybe I'll just get it anyway.  It's so inexpensive, and it has the small stock and such already.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#11]
As much as I like bolt guns, I just skipped over the bolt/pump/lever and went right to the new 10/22 CRR with the shortened barrel and stock and fiber optic sights for my daughter.  It's a great little gun and I think she'll prefer it ove the bolt gun.  

I actually prefered the CZ scout otherwise.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I got my oldest son a Henry Mini-Bolt for Christmas.  "The Official Youth Rifle of the US Olympic Shooting Team".

Nice gun, very handy, light and accurate.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#13]
In response to MonkeyGrips post, my father purchased a 10/22 for my sister as she was slightly older than my brother.  Just by chance it came with a beautiful tiger striped stock.  Dad had gotten a chief AJ coupon at a shot show that year and she got it all tricked out, heavy barrel trigger job extended release jeweled bolt.  She still has it, still shoots it and will not sell it to either Dad or I!!!
On the side note the little chipmunk is just a play toy now, at least til my Son gets a little older.

So take from that what you will.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#14]
My daughter shoots the 1022 now but I wanted a bolt gun to slow her down. With the Savage it has a adjustable trigger open sites and rail for a scope. Its a single shot to slow her down. Also has a coupon for half off on a full size stock.
I had all three Chip,Sav and Cz in hand the Cz was the nicest of all  three.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just picked up 2 Savage Cubs for $40 each at Sports Authority.

DANG, Cleatus!  That's a smokin deal!  Now I'm just overwhelmed with info!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow,

The Savage Cub is complete vaporware arround here.  No one in Phoenix area has one I can even look at.

The CZ Scout is really nice though.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#18]
My .22 as a youth was a winchester 94/22, which is still a very fun gun to shoot today.  Spenda little money and grab yourself a anschutz rifle, there are a few models that are tailored towards little people and are tack drivers.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#19]
To me, this is a no-brainer... CZ 452 Scout.

Comes with a single shot adapter. Can buy 5 & 10 round mags. Same action and trigger as the rest of the CZ line up so later on when your child gets bigger, they can buy a full size stock for it. Price, quality, accuracy. All things considered, no better youth sized bolt action out there right now IMO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for the CZ Scout.

My 7 year old son's:

The little sniper in action:

The results at 25 yards (1st day ever shooting):

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top