Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 6:43:35 PM EDT

The only .17 MkII rifle I have is a single shot NEF with custom scout scope base and a shortened barrel, but I really really like the .17 MkII and I was thinking of getting an autoloader mainly, something good for plinking.

what are my options?  I hear Ruger makes a 10/22 .17MkII but i cant find it on their website, and Marlin makes a nice autoloader, but it looks pricey?  Anyone else make/have a .17MKII semi-auto?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]

I hear Ruger makes a 10/22

Ruger was quick to discontinue production of their .17hmr semi's due to liability. If you know the .17hmr it packs quite a punch and the pressures can be a little much.

There has been on occasion instances where shells have exploded on their way out and made a mess. Ruger said screw it and discontinued production.

You can however buy the 10/22 mag and slap a .17hmr aftermarket barrel on it.

The remington 597 is pretty cheap and I haven't heard any bad things about it in 17hmr config.

If you're reffering to .17HM2 you can make your 10/22 into a 17hm2 with a barrel and bolt swap/conversion.
It's pricey but well worth it if you like accuracy and the extra 50 yards.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#2]
theres a little bit more then just throwing a barrel on it.. go over to rim fire central theres some good info on doing .17 conversons on there... off the top of my head some of the things are
a stronger recoil spring
a havey charging handle
and the barrel..

i am a bit fuzzy on it as i have had no intrest in going .17 myself..

in reality theres not MUCH that needs to be done but things have to be pretty perchise if i recall correctly..

*i am also very tired right now and have been up for 20 some odd hours on 3 hours sleep WEEE FUN*

Jess
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
theres a little bit more then just throwing a barrel on it.. go over to rim fire central theres some good info on doing .17 conversons on there... off the top of my head some of the things are
a stronger recoil spring
a havey charging handle
and the barrel..

i am a bit fuzzy on it as i have had no intrest in going .17 myself..

in reality theres not MUCH that needs to be done but things have to be pretty perchise if i recall correctly..

*i am also very tired right now and have been up for 20 some odd hours on 3 hours sleep WEEE FUN*

Jess

It's been heavily debated. From what I got the stronger spring isn't doind muvh but putting more pressure on the other side of the receiver.

A heavier bolt would be ideal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#4]
How about the Marlin 717?  Has anyone heard anything of that?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Couldnt tell you.

Never hurts to try
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I was one of the first people to get a .45 ACP Cx4 storm and I haven't regretted it so and I doubt I'll regret buying a marlin autoloader.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The Marlin 717 is dirt cheap.  Here in California you can find them for around $200.00.  The other "factory" option is the Thompson R55.  A bit pricier and harder to find, but probably an all-around better put-together rifle (IMO).  Street price has been in the $350-$400 range.

If you go with one of the 10/22 kits, go with the EABCO kit.  Comes with an E.R. Shaw barrel and a heavy bolt kit.  They make the barrels in the heavy version, meaning you will have to purchase an aftermarket stock as well, or a factory contour version.  E.R. Shaw has teamed up with Boyd Stocks to make a kit at a reduced price:  LINK

Other than that, you can go with a Volquartsen or a Magnum Research conversion.  Either one requires a heavy bolt as well.

Hope this helps.

Eric A. Mayer  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top