Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/10/2006 6:43:35 PM EDT

The only .17 MkII rifle I have is a single shot NEF with custom scout scope base and a shortened barrel, but I really really like the .17 MkII and I was thinking of getting an autoloader mainly, something good for plinking.

what are my options? I hear Ruger makes a 10/22 .17MkII but i cant find it on their website, and Marlin makes a nice autoloader, but it looks pricey? Anyone else make/have a .17MKII semi-auto?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2006 5:47:58 PM EDT by Rimfireguru]

I hear Ruger makes a 10/22

Ruger was quick to discontinue production of their .17hmr semi's due to liability. If you know the .17hmr it packs quite a punch and the pressures can be a little much.

There has been on occasion instances where shells have exploded on their way out and made a mess. Ruger said screw it and discontinued production.

You can however buy the 10/22 mag and slap a .17hmr aftermarket barrel on it.

The remington 597 is pretty cheap and I haven't heard any bad things about it in 17hmr config.

If you're reffering to .17HM2 you can make your 10/22 into a 17hm2 with a barrel and bolt swap/conversion.
It's pricey but well worth it if you like accuracy and the extra 50 yards.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:09:46 AM EDT
theres a little bit more then just throwing a barrel on it.. go over to rim fire central theres some good info on doing .17 conversons on there... off the top of my head some of the things are
a stronger recoil spring
a havey charging handle
and the barrel..

i am a bit fuzzy on it as i have had no intrest in going .17 myself..

in reality theres not MUCH that needs to be done but things have to be pretty perchise if i recall correctly..

*i am also very tired right now and have been up for 20 some odd hours on 3 hours sleep WEEE FUN*

Jess
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:14:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Anarx:
theres a little bit more then just throwing a barrel on it.. go over to rim fire central theres some good info on doing .17 conversons on there... off the top of my head some of the things are
a stronger recoil spring
a havey charging handle
and the barrel..

i am a bit fuzzy on it as i have had no intrest in going .17 myself..

in reality theres not MUCH that needs to be done but things have to be pretty perchise if i recall correctly..

*i am also very tired right now and have been up for 20 some odd hours on 3 hours sleep WEEE FUN*

Jess

It's been heavily debated. From what I got the stronger spring isn't doind muvh but putting more pressure on the other side of the receiver.

A heavier bolt would be ideal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:02:36 PM EDT
How about the Marlin 717? Has anyone heard anything of that?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:24:00 PM EDT
Couldnt tell you.

Never hurts to try
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:37:38 PM EDT
Yeah, I was one of the first people to get a .45 ACP Cx4 storm and I haven't regretted it so and I doubt I'll regret buying a marlin autoloader.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:04:42 PM EDT
The Marlin 717 is dirt cheap. Here in California you can find them for around $200.00. The other "factory" option is the Thompson R55. A bit pricier and harder to find, but probably an all-around better put-together rifle (IMO). Street price has been in the $350-$400 range.

If you go with one of the 10/22 kits, go with the EABCO kit. Comes with an E.R. Shaw barrel and a heavy bolt kit. They make the barrels in the heavy version, meaning you will have to purchase an aftermarket stock as well, or a factory contour version. E.R. Shaw has teamed up with Boyd Stocks to make a kit at a reduced price: LINK

Other than that, you can go with a Volquartsen or a Magnum Research conversion. Either one requires a heavy bolt as well.

Hope this helps.

Eric A. Mayer
Top Top