Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 5:03:59 PM EDT
Hi guys, I just bought an Advantage Arms .22 conversion for my G17, and it should be here any day now. I'm also interested in a conversion for my AR15.  I really don't know much about the brands that are out there and I'm hoping to get some advice. I want to cut down the cost of training so that I can do a lot more of it, and I'd like to do it in a way that isn't really noisy. A friend of mine has a conversion kit for his AR that feeds the Remington subsonic rounds flawlessly. I am in love with the idea of cheap quiet training with my AR and my Glock.
I'm looking for an AR conversion kit that will feed reliably with most ammo types, particularly the sub sonic stuff. I also want to be able to do mag changes, to build "muscle memory" and so on. What would you all say is the brand that I'm looking for?
I really like shooting .22 out of a rifle for training because there is so little recoil I can focus on my trigger pull, and reset almost exclusively. That's a really nice attribute of the .22 rifle system. I'm getting excited about getting this program off the ground. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
2IDdoc
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the military style 22 kit for my AR, I think it is called the M261, uses an insert in a normal 20rd mag, and works very well,
I usually get a 1-1/2 to 2" group at 50 with it in a 1/9twist barrel using standard velocity ammo (PMC target or Rem green box, NOT subsonic)
I haven't had any luck with consistancy with Rem subsonic

drawback is no bolt hold open,

I've been considering a dedicated 22 upper from either compass lake or accuracy speaks,
just haven't had the extra $$'s to order,

HTH, YMMV etc
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can swing it, one of the dedicated .22 uppers is the way to go. The CZ units can be had for about $250 (about twice the price of a conversion alone) and the nice DPMS ones start about four bills.

Over in the AR section is a forum called Rimfire and Pistol Caliber. Go over there and read that. Lots of threads about the various units and the pros and cons of each. That's where most of the AR conversion shooters here hang out.

Another idea for you is the Rhineland R22 rifle. It uses AR guts so the trigger pull and operation is the same, and costs about the same as a DPMS upper. Fun gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll go check out the AR section, don't know why I didn't do that. I was just cruizing around over here and decided to ask.
I really would rather not get a dedicated upper or another rifle. The shooting I do is combat oriented as opposed to bullseye, or target shooting. I would like to train using my upper in it's current configuration and just swap out the bolt/bolt carrier/magazine.
I'll go check what the EBR guys have to say.
.22 is just a lot of fun to shoot. I can't wait to get this going.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:38:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Well if you can live with groups of an inch or maybe a bit more at 25 yards, one of the conversion units might be okay for you. The dedicated uppers will do a third that, or better, but at three times the price. And you could always get lucky and have a barrel/ammo combination that will shoot into half an inch or better at 25--it does happen but you can't count on it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Are there any downsides to the drop in kits, like screwing up your barrel?  I've been thinking about one too, but was worrried about shooting .22 through the .223 barrel.  Dedicated upper would be great, just not economically feasible right now.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
i have a m261 conversion kit, and it's awesome.  only downside is only 10 round mags.  it will not hurt the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot a lot of .22 with an M261 kit through my Bushmaster.  Yes the 10 round mags suck but it is very dependable and fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top