Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 8:31:00 PM EDT
My Midway heavy barreled  rifle fails to extract with CCI Blazer  ammo.  This is after cleaning barrel and chamber.  
Do I likely need new extractor? spring?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
go to weaponkraft and purchase the volquartsen exact edge extractor and get the buffer while you are at it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:38:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My Midway heavy barreled  rifle fails to extract with CCI Blazer  ammo.  This is after cleaning barrel and chamber.  

That's funny you say that, my new fav. plinking ammo are the blazers, and they work great! (in my gun)
They even work in my BC hot lips mags!    And I'm using the stock extractor!

But yea, sounds like the VQ exact edge will fix your problems.  
If you don't already have the other goodies...go with an "ultimate kit".  I think weaponkraft sells these.
They come with trigger stuff, buffer, extractor, auto bolt release, ect.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I had the same problem with a WP barrel....replaced the extractor with a Volquartsen and it fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Replaced the extractor  and now get failure to fire.  Firing pin makes broad dent in case,
almost like bolt is no longer closing all the way.

duds work when then loaded into 22/45 pistol.

Advise please?

Bad ammo?(blazer)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The Instruction Manual that I got with my Ruger 10/22 states that "STINGER" Ammunition should not be used in a "Target" rifle.

""Stinger" cartidges have a longer case than 22 LR cartridges loaded to U.S. Industry Specifications.  They can stick in the tighter chambers of target rifles, including the Ruger 10/22 Target Rifle, which can result in a hazardous ruptured case and release of hot powder gasses and brass when fired."  ......pg 15 of the Ruger 10/22 manual.

The "Blazer" ammo I have has the same length case as the CCI Stinger stuff.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
go to weaponkraft and purchase the volquartsen exact edge extractor and get the buffer while you are at it.

I've done that and still get a fair amount of FTE in my 10/22.  Is there a way to tune the extractor?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I expect I have found  my failure to fire problem.  My firing pin was broken.  The tip broke off and
a much larger area was trying to impact the case.  It should go good now.

The new exact edge extractor fixed my fte troubles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done that and still get a fair amount of FTE in my 10/22.  Is there a way to tune the extractor?

no you just replace it with the volquartsen exact edge extractor.

if that doesnt help i would suggest either double checking your install, alignement or check/tune you mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top