Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 6:12:07 PM EDT
[. . . and yes, I can handle it.]

I visited RimfireCenteral to get some info on this barrel. At least 75% of the posts were negative, and not specific. For example, "accuracy sux," "its a POS," and "I wouldn't use it if it was given to me," were the type of comments given. One of the most negative posters slamed the barrel in one thread, then said "it may be accurate, but you never know where your groups will end up," In another post. WTF?! Nothing against those guys, but they seem to be purists overthere . . .

I am not looking for a sub-MOA barrel, just one that is about as accurate as the factory barrel. The appeal of the BC CF barrel is weight and length.

Any comments based on first-hand experience are appreciated.

Any other reasonably priced 16" or 16.5" factory contour barrels out there?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw this in the GD so I thought I'd stop by.  Got my bone stock 10/22 back in 98 and it's been bone stock ever since.  Last October I saw that Bipod Stock and Carbon Fiber Bull Barrel Combo at Bass Pro Shop.  It's a cheap plastic stock with an internal Bipod and the Featherweight barrel.

Butler Creek Bipod Stock and Carbon Fiber Bull Barrel

Installing the parts was a breeze.  But the cheap plastic stock wouldn't allow the factory mag to drop free.  In fact I had to PRY it out with a screw driver.  That's why you see me with a long butler creek 25 rounder.  I figured I'd sand it down later.  So then I realized I needed some kind of sights.  The combo pack has no irons of course.  So being a cheap ass I purchased a $6 dollar Weaver T-09 scope base.  What a mistake that was.  It's made ONLY for scope rings and a real scope.  A cheap $40 Red Dot won't mount properly onto the T-09.

So when I took it to the pit it shot way to low.  Becuase my Red Dot was tilted at a high angle.  I know the pic looks fine but trust me it was awful.  Now for the life of I'm trying to recall how tight the groups were.  From what I remember it was as accurate as the stock barrel.

I remember I started to rapid fire and bullets went all over the place.  This bothered me becuase even though I'm doing a mag dump it's not like a 10/22 can get away from you.  In the end I took the whole thing back and swore off the stuff.

But!  My wife loves to go shooting now and wants a light 10/22 for erself.  So I'm going to trip the light fantastic and play the lightweight carbon barrel game again. This time with a HOGUE rubber stock and the BC Featherweight barrel.  This time a REAL base from TPS, and then a cheap Red Dot!

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
All I have heard is that they are inaccurate, like mini-14 inaccurate.
Bob
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
the carbon fiber is actually more like plastic and the accuracy is hit & miss
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Isnt a 16" .920 fluted (GM) about the same weight as the factory taper bbl.?  

I thought I've heard this somewhere, here or RFC.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Isnt a 16" .920 fluted (GM) about the same weight as the factory taper bbl.?  

I thought I've heard this somewhere, here or RFC.  

i doubt it,
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#6]
i've heard they were pretty crappy.  i was gonna order one, but then i found a used VQ THM barrel w/ 32 hole compensator for $50!  needless to say i went w/ the THM instead.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Cold bore mine is dead on for 25 rounds. After it heats up it will be off a little but not all over the place. I can dump a 25 round mag at 50 yards in a 2 inch group. Shot slow and it is touching holes in a group of less than an inch
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i've heard they were pretty crappy.  i was gonna order one, but then i found a used VQ THM barrel w/ 32 hole compensator for $50!  needless to say i went w/ the THM instead.

now that is a crackhead deal!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

now that is a crackhead deal!

it was over in RFC. i snagged it about a minute after he posted it, so i got lucky.  it's fitted for a superlite, so i have to get it switched over to 10/22 setup, but that's the only problem w/ it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am not looking for a sub-MOA barrel, just one that is about as accurate as the factory barrel. The appeal of the BC CF barrel is weight and length.

Why not just stay with the factory barrel?

If you just like the 'look' of the BC bbl. then go ahead and get it and forget what anyone thinks about it.

I personally think the Green Mountain bbl's cannot be beat because they are extremely accurate and inexpensive.

They are heavier than the CF bbl's so they might not fit what you have in mind.

I have a K10/22T and I like the way the bbl looks on it with the hammer forging but I don't think it is as accurate as the GM bbl's are. I haven't shot it so I don't know for sure.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
My butler creek barrel and stock set shoots about 1 and a half  to 3" groups @ 25 yards.  its a very light setup and I like the foldaway bipod but it really would be nice able to hit something with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My butler creek barrel and stock set shoots about 1 and a half  to 3" groups @ 25 yards.  its a very light setup and I like the foldaway bipod but it really would be nice able to hit something with it.

wow!  that's a downgrade from the stock barrel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
i have one on mine and love the shit out of it. its a super light rig with new butler creek stock to go with the barrel and a red dot. i use it mostly for rabbit hunting but it scary accurate maybe i got lucky but i love the shit out of mine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:10:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow!  that's a downgrade from the stock barrel.

no sh!t.

i think could pull that off out at 100yds with crap ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the BC Combo myself.  Mine shoots great.  I can shoot touching shots all day long at 25 yds.  mag after mag.  I was shooting a 100yd. target with it and it grouped about 3-1/2" inches with a scope of course.  I have neve had any issues with it.  I have heard everyone say that they heard they were junk but few people ever own them.  I also shoot Glocks too and they have never exploded either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like you need a Tactical Solutions aluminum barrel. They are really light, look good, and are very accurate. I was shocked as shit with the barrel I got for my Buckmark Rifle..
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm happy to hear that others are doing well with their BC barrels.  the other thing that would really frustrate me is my point of impact would change the more i shot.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Points taken; thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#19]
The biggest problem wit the carbon fibers is consistancy.

I never shot mine before I sold it but the buyer said he was shooting 1/2 at 50 all day long with it. When I explained this I was told from others that that's usually the case however the barrel will react differently to different temperatures.

They might shoot great all day long, it might not. I've heard when they start heating up they start getting inacurate.

The other problem you can run into is you think you have it set up one day and then you'll pull it out in the cold and it might shoot off.

When I received mine I was rather unimpressed. The "Carbon Fiber" is "plastic fiber", the chamber looked like it came out of a casting (very rough, blemished) and it felt & looked cheaply made.

Once you own a good barrel like VQ, Kidd, GM or whistle pig you'll know what a well produced barrel looks like.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't own one. That said, in my own serch for a CF barrel, I read that those B.C. barrels aren't real carbon fiber barrels. They grind up some carbon fiber and mix it with plastic.
The result is a barrel surround that isn't even around the barrel. That's why they have a reputation for scattering shots after they heat up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top