Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 4:55:34 AM EDT
I just ordered a Choate folding stock for my 10-22, and now I'm looking for a better shooting barrel than the standard 18-incher.  Problem is, most of the barrels I've found are .920 (I've already bought one, and a Hogue stock for it) but I'd really like to find a better barrel to fit this folding stock.  And I'm going to use iron sights with it, so it at least has to be cut with the front sight notch.  Any ideas?  So far, all I've found is the 22-inch Sporter barrel (I'd prefer a black barrel, though) and the Butler Creek Ultra-Lite Carbon Barrel (which is a bit too pricey for me).  Are there any good options (up to $100 range) other than having a standard barrel accurized?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Green Mountain did/does make some 16" standard profile Sporter barrels.
I built up a rig using a non-bull barrel AMT lightning barrel, but even though it's less than .920, it is bigger than a standard Ruger barrel and wouldn't work in the Choate without some inletting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You seem to be working with some conflicting requirements. Tell us what you plan to DO with the rifle and perhaps we can be more help. Exacatly how do you plan to use it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Trying to make a compact pack rifle for small game hunting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Trying to make a compact pack rifle for small game hunting.

Ah, good. Now we're getting somewhere.

You mentioned using iron sights. Since you want that, and a "compact pack rifle," forget that bull barrel. If you work at it a little, you can get the factory barrel shooting as well as you can shoot with irons--at least from field hunting positions. Test several different kinds of ammo, then find the best three and test those with and without the barrel band, and with and without the barrel floated. I was able to cut my 10/22 group sizes nearly in half by doing this.

The beauty of the 10/22 is that you can have both guns--your heavy barrel in a regular stock, with a scope, for bench shooting or target, and 30 minutes (or less) later you can have your iron-sighted, folding-stocked lightweight.

If what I'm saying makes sense, let me know and I'll give you more details.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Tried 4 to 8 different types of 22 ammo in my SS 10/22 with the laminated stock. When all was said and done, the Velocitors did the job. I could pile them all into a .35" hole at 20 yards or so all day long with a 4X scope. Bedding the action and floating the barrel (no barrel band etc) might make it shoot even better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top