Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/29/2005 8:45:53 AM EDT
My kid pickout his new Christmas gift, A Rem 597 22cal, Did a search nothing, Look at Sportsman
Guide and a few others, Nothing, Does anyone make a higher capacity mag for them ?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:28:42 PM EDT
I have no idea if any of this stuff is helpfull but here goes anyway.

www.gunshopfinder.com/remington/remModel597.asp

After reading some of the things here, I'd just buy him a 10/22 and tell him you didn't find a 597
www.brpc.org.uk/Reviews/597rem.html

This has to be the worst magazine design I have ever come across and has been a real let down for the rifle from day one. It's supposed to be an eight rounder! I have determined that it is impossible to chamber the first round from the magazine when it contains 7 or more rounds. Due to the spring force and the quality of the plastic lips of the mag, the top round is forced up at an angle where it simply misses the chamber opening and jams the action. It's not a one off, as I have two mags one of which was purchased in the US as an original Remington spare from a reputable dealer. All I can say is roll on a metal replacement and fast, as the crappy little plastic things are a waste of time and a constant source of frustration and annoyance. After about 30 rounds I have also had magazine jams from powder residue preventing the round carrier from raising and feeding. This just leaves the round sitting loose in the top of the magazine and not feeding. The other problem has been with the action not picking up the round from the base and simply slamming into the body of the case. The best solution was to only load the mag with 5 rounds at a time. With this change in the capacity came a dramatic change in reliability, by keeping the magazine body clear of any powder residue and only loading 5 rounds there were no further feed jams or feed failures.

I dont understand a single word here but it's a forum talk about the 597 with some pics
talks.guns.ru/forummessage/56/77358.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:19:27 PM EDT
Thanks for the info, My kid already has the Rem 597, So far it shoots ok, It has the
ten round mag, out of 150 rounds maybe 4-5 jams, not to bad, I don't think of ever
having a 22 that did'nt have a couple.
Top Top