Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/10/2005 11:47:54 AM EDT
I don't know that I'm that crazy about them. The two that I have aren't feeding correctly. I am assuming that they just need cleaning.

Along the cleaning line ... What do I need to get the magazine apart? I have a set of CHEAP hex wrenches but none of them fit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:36:36 PM EDT
ive never had a problem with the factory ruger mags, i dont know about anyone else though. i found this little site with instructions www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:58:52 PM EDT
A 9/64ths allen key will fit it. Take it apart, and clean it.
When you re-assemble, turn the spring "a few flats" before you tighten it.
You'll see on the one side a octogon? stop sign looking piece.
The bolt goes through to that end, so just give it a twist to put more tension on the spring.

Tighten and give it a go. It should work fine after that.

I've had VERY good results w/ my factory mag. I know MANY others have also.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:33:15 PM EDT
the factory mags are the absolute best mags i have ever used and have never given me a single problem.

heres a link to rimfirecentral.com's tuning page. look for mag service.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:41:33 PM EDT
I had a 10/22 for several year and never had any issues with the factory mags.

Man, I need to get another one!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:05:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RRA-A2:
A 9/64ths allen key will fit it. Take it apart, and clean it.
When you re-assemble, turn the spring "a few flats" before you tighten it.
You'll see on the one side a octogon? stop sign looking piece.
The bolt goes through to that end, so just give it a twist to put more tension on the spring.

Tighten and give it a go. It should work fine after that.

I've had VERY good results w/ my factory mag. I know MANY others have also.

How many times have you had to clean or retension it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:10:58 AM EDT
I have never heard of anyone having problems with a factory magazine. That is until now. My dad has had one for the longest... never had a problem. I have owned one for several years...never had a problem.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:19:34 PM EDT
This thread has proved most usefull. 1 of 6 factory mags wasn't feeding after about the 5th round, so I followed the instructions. I just went outside and dumped the mag as fast as I could without a problem. Mods I really think this thread should be tacked.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:24:58 PM EDT
so fatk1d, have you fixed your mag problem?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:12:05 PM EDT
Yeah, on one of them, anyway. Basically I got it apart, cleaned the whole thing, fine tuned the tension and I no longer have an issue. Now I just have to find time to clean the other one. The second one I might be able to get by with increasing the tension as it doesn't seem like I'm getting much resistance from the spring when I load it up. I'll try that first on the second one and then cleaning it ... Thanks for the information here, it helped!
Top Top