Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/15/2003 7:38:22 PM EDT
Hey guys, went shooting this weekend and took my 10/22 with hogue barrel out to the range and knocked out around 300 rounds. After awhile, the accuracy just started flying all over the place, so I put it away till I could get it apart and figure out what was wrong.

Well I took a look inside the barrel, and it looks like there's a ton of molten lead in there. Only thing I can imagine what happened is I had a squib, a slug only went halfway down the barrel and without knowing that happened,I fired and another round hit it, it liquified and dried inside.

I ran a brass brush down the barrel, and the actual rod scraped alot of it out, but there's still alot in there. Should I try a steel brush? Is there any sort of lead solvent that would help? Or is it a complete loss?

Thanks for any help - J

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:48:55 PM EDT
Good ole Hoppes #9 should help ya out. Spray a good amount in there and wait 10 minutes. The go at it with elbow grease. Scrub with brush then spray again with solvent. Repeat as necessary
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:29:01 AM EDT
Don't use a steel brush!

Follow Snorkel Bob's advice.

Oh, yea, don't use a steel brush!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:29:32 PM EDT
there are lead out patches, or use JB bore paste on a patch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:40:31 PM EDT
Told a friend about it, he said the same thing happened to him recently with his bull-barrel 10/22

I got all the lead out, but it looks like there might be some damage in there, I guess I'll go to the range and see what kinda groups I get.

btw, We were both using Winchester Xpert .22LR. If you have a bull-barrel 10/22, I wouldn't suggest using this ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:32:52 PM EDT
That s tuff is really dirty shit. It might have been a build up of that wax they used on the bullets. If your patches are still coming out dirty keep going untill they come clean.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:45:58 PM EDT
I always ran Remington throught my 10/22 but a few month's ago, I bought a box of Winchester X-pert. It's very inconsistant. Some rounds don't have enought power to eject the empty. I also wouldn't recommend CCI Blazer. Very dirty ammo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:48:16 AM EDT
I think Xpert is only good for cheapo plinking with a bolt .22, or other manual operating action. maybe .22 revolvers, but man it's dirty and does not feed like a champ!
Top Top