Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2003 1:04:06 PM EDT
I forgot to add this one last night and figure it won't be passed over if i give it its own thread.

The Ruger 10/22 Target model AKA "Plain Jane" manual has a special stipulation on 22 Stinger ammunition. Their fear is that the long casing won't always extract, causing a stovepiped new Stinger. Therefore they say NOT to use any Stinger ammunition. Then I figured that if you feed the rounds by hand in single shot fashion, or load the first 9 rounds with normal ammo and the 10th with a stinger you will have circumvented this problem. This was reinforced by employees at the range, who saw no problem with a full mag of Stingers.
     Then I see this site that manufactures their own tricked out 10/22s. They claim the warranty will be voided if Stingers are used because they "round out" the internals, or some other such statement.

So, are Stingers a bad choice overall, a fair choice if you take loading precautions, or a perfectly good choice for a 10/22? I wouldn't give stingers a second thought normally, except a friend made 250 stingers a present to me, and I have nothing else to put them through.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I shot an assload of stinger out of my 10/22T... I can't recall having any problems.  In fact, it was one of the more reliable ammos I used.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had my 10/22 for almost 28 years, it is a bicentennial model I bought new in '76'.  I have almost exclusively used stingers in it with absolutely no problems.  Sounds like a non existent 'cover their ass issue'.  Match chamber barrels might be different, but the standard barrel should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I use stingers quite a bit in my 10/22, I've never heard of not being able to use them in the standard barrels, I do however beleive it is NOT recommended to use stingers in carbon barrels, or some match barrels.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
How about a Green Mountain 18" bull barrel? I'm not sure if it is up to par with "match grade".
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:04:25 AM EDT
[#5]
its Ok to use stingers in a standard brrl.  its NOT OK to use them in a bull barrel or any brrl w/ a "match" chamber.

read this:
rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30703
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
its Ok to use stingers in a standard brrl.  its NOT OK to use them in a bull barrel or any brrl w/ a "match" chamber.

read this:
rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30703

This sounds like the Wolf ammo argument for AR's!  Works great for some, terrible for others...

Pulpsmack, I'd try it and see what works for you.  It isn't going to hurt the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top