Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2003 12:25:48 PM EDT
I recently acquired a free 10/22 receiver, only problem is, it's broken.  The section underneat the ejection port is broken where it meets the front of the receiver (the end where the barrel is).  It is sanded down to bare aluminum.  The owner was in the process of building a customized rifle.  He put the receiver in a vise to pull the barrel out and tightened the vice too much, OUCH!  I saw it laying on his work bench and asked what he was gonna do with it, he said "you want it?".  So, what should I do with it?  I have some extra 10/22 parts laying around and don't know if it would still function correctly like it is.  Even if it does function, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable running around with a broken receiver.  Any body have any ideas or want this thing?  I'd take some neat little stuff in trade, or sell it outright.  I would like to find some good use for it.  It is definitely a preban receiver.  Open to suggestions...
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The guys at www.rimfirecentral.com would be able to help you out...

p3
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:10:36 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you want for it?

And where are you in MS?
I grew up on the coast, my father lives in Vicksburg, and I lived in Hattiesburg until about two years ago.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Its not really a grandfathered pre-ban unless the evil features were present before 94, you knew that right?

I hope you can do something with it, sounds like a fun little project
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#4]
do you have a pic of the damage?

the 10-22 barrels are dove tailed into the receiver block and removed by loosening two machine screws.  they don't have to be twisted off like a regular barrel.  i don't see how he broke it.  depending on what parts you have you may be able to rebuild it but it is probably cheaper to buy a new one.

god luck
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#5]
He did take the barrel wedge off before trying to pull it out.  He painted the receiver at one point and that's what made the barrel so hard to remove.  I tried and can't get the barrel out either.  I contacted Ruger and sent the receiver and barrel to them.. after putting a spare bolt and trigger in it, so it's not quite so obvious someone was butchering the rifle.  I think it would still cycle fine, but I don't trust a broken receiver.  Depending on what I hear from Ruger, I'll let you know something Donith.  I'm in Jackson.  MadProfessor, I was recently corrected on the preban issue, thanks.  308wood, the section running under the ejection port where it meets the front portion of the receiver is where it is cracked, broken all the way through.  I would take pics if I had a digital camera.  I stole a pic from the net and doctored it.  This is basically how it looks.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
good deal, keep in touch with Ruger.  they may fix it for free or charge very little.  let us know what they do.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Indeed, hopefully you can have a working rifle.

Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If Ruger doesn't want to fix it I'd try JB Weld. Given where it's cracked is not a high stress area and it is a 22 I doubt very much if the JB Weld fails anything serious would occur. I think it would just crack again. It might run fine cracked anyway.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I think about any welding shop could just tig weld it for you. Grind it clean, refinish the receiver, and have at it. If you decide to sell it, I might be interested. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Its not really a grandfathered pre-ban unless the evil features were present before 94, you knew that right?

I hope you can do something with it, sounds like a fun little project

It's not grandfathered at all. He received a barrel and receiver. Unless those tow parts themselves had enough parts to count as an assault weapon, it's not grandfathered. You can't grandfather an assault weapon if it clearly isn't an assault weapon in the first place.

Now, if he received it with a folding stock, or with two or more pre-ban featured, then he's be in the clear.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Pitch it and get a new one. Aren't they kinda like Bic lighters?

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a letter from Ruger today and they're replacing the receiver for free!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top