Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 8:07:29 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good scope mount and rings set for my 10/22.  I've heard .22 rings can be utter crap, so I was hoping to buy the right stuff the first time.  I'd appreciate what's good, what's the best bang for the buck (I'm on a budget with my 10/22 build up), and what's the best overall regardless of price.

To give you some background, I'm building up a bull barreled 10/22 stainless with a Hogue overmold stock.  I haven't bought the barrel yet, but I'm leaning towards Green Mountain or Whistlepig.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the B-Square 15514/15515 mount. Slightly more expensive than the Weaver T-09, but cheaper than the Volquartsen equivalent. Uses Weaver-type rings and offers more versatile mounting positions. I've been using this base along with Burris Zee Rings on all of my 10/22s.

I've tried the one piece steel Redfield-style bases from Leupold, but I don't like the way they mount to the receiver. They don't mount flush and the entire mount just kind of looks cluttered and bulky.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
This is the Force 10/22 receiver.  If you are doing a complete build-up, I'd start here.  Integrated base - doesn't get any stronger!

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you need some hi-caps for this 10/22? I have some for sale/trade.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I like the B-Square 15514/15515 mount. Slightly more expensive than the Weaver T-09, but cheaper than the Volquartsen equivalent. Uses Weaver-type rings and offers more versatile mounting positions. I've been using this base along with Burris Zee Rings on all of my 10/22s.

I've tried the one piece steel Redfield-style bases from Leupold, but I don't like the way they mount to the receiver. They don't mount flush and the entire mount just kind of looks cluttered and bulky.

Thanks Jim.  It looks like that's the way I'm going to go as well.  The price on the B-sqare is very resonable.  On the Burris Zee rings, which height rings do you reccomend?  Natchez has low, medium, and high.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]

On the Burris Zee rings, which height rings do you reccomend? Natchez has low, medium, and high.

Go with the lowest you can use. I have low on all of my 10/22s and the largest objective bell on any of my scopes is 36mm.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is the Force 10/22 receiver.  If you are doing a complete build-up, I'd start here.  Integrated base - doesn't get any stronger!
mikesshooting.com/10-22Ultimatereceiver.jpg

That looks pretty slick.  What does something like that cost?

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
mikesshooting.com/10-22Ultimatereceiver.jpg

That looks pretty slick.  What does something like that cost?

Here is a price on the force receiver

mikesshooting.com/10-22%20Rifles%20&%20Parts.htm

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest the Power Custom Base and the Burris Zee Signature rings not the Burris Zee.

The Power Custom base is solid and not too expensive.

10/22s tend to have a hump in the casting at the front of the receiver this hump cants the front of the scope mount and scope upward, this can cause your scope to run out of adjustment before you get on paper. The Burris Zee Signature rings have plastic inserts in them; you can buy offset insert kits that compensate for the hump on the receiver.  

Go to RimFire Central for good advise, link below.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#9]
The Power Custom base is one nice base. I just purchased one here locally in Atlanta for $18.00. It's solid and looks great on my rifle. Also Max_Mike thanks for the insight on the cant with the receiver as I was wondering what would be a good choice of rings...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I had to learn the hard way…

I had a 10/22 receiver with the hump and after filing the top of the receiver (and ruining the finish) and then shimming the base I was still running out of scope adjustment. I then got the Burris Zee Signature rings and a set of the offset inserts and they got me right on target. The inserts also protect the scope finish.

The bad thing is I was warned about the hump problem and chose to ignore advice to get the Signature rings and got a cheaper set of ring. So I got to buy 2 sets of rings. Do yourself a favor and get the Burris Zee Signature rings they are cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#11]

The Power Custom base is solid and not too expensive.

With the exception of being squared at the corners, the Power Custom base is identical to the B-Square item.

Power Custom:

B-Square:

The B-Square is slightly cheaper for the same item.

Signature Zee rings aren't necessary, but the inserts are kind of neat. If they're within your budget and you like them, get them, otherwise the regular Zee rings will serve you just fine.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]

The B-Square is slightly cheaper for the same item.

I have seen both and that is not true. I have never seen anything produced by B-Square that is the same quality as Power Custom. The B-Square is slightly cheaper for a cheaper mount.

Signature Zee rings aren't necessary

They are if you have a receiver hump and do not want to file down the receiver. I let someone just like you convince me not to get the Signature rings and it cost me money. Check the receiver to make sure it is flat before getting rings very many are not flat.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]

I have seen both and that is not true. I have never seen anything produced by B-Square that is the same quality as Power Custom. The B-Square is slightly cheaper for a cheaper mount.

Not in agreement. They're more than likely produced by the same foundry and then finished and packaged as required.

They are if you have a receiver hump and do not want to file down the receiver. I let someone just like you convince me not to get the Signature rings and it cost me money. Check the receiver to make sure it is flat before getting rings very many are not flat.

Untrue. The receiver hump only becomes an issue if you're trying to mount a Redfield-type base. You may want to learn how to mount a scope in the future.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Untrue. The receiver hump only becomes an issue if you're trying to mount a Redfield-type base. You may want to learn how to mount a scope in the future.

You sir are without a doubt wrong, you do not know what you are talking about. The only 10/22 base not effected by the receiver hump is the Volquartsen and that is because it has a relief cut built into it specificly to take care of the problem. If the hump is there it will throw off any 10/22 WEAVER base except the Volquartsen.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]

You sir are without a doubt wrong, you do not know what you are talking about. The only 10/22 base not effected by the receiver hump is the Volquartsen and that is because it has a relief cut built into it specificly to take care of the problem. If the hump is there it will throw off any 10/22 WEAVER base except the Volquartsen.

In case you're just now making it to the conversation, I'm not mounting a Weaver base nor am I recommending one.

Kind of funny how I've mounted a dozen or so of these B-Square bases and regular Zee rings and my Brownell's scope alignment rods show they're dead on the money. Of course you "read" something on the 'net and it must be true.

Sorry, guy. You're the one who ruined a receiver due to poor judgment, not I. I can't help you there. I can only offer what's been successful thus far.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive done about 12  10-22 buildups and here is what has worked for me.
Power custom receiver mount 14.95 at brownells.com,you could get the Volquartsen one for 30.00 but they are just about the same.
As far as rings go i buy Weaver Sure-grip rings and they hold up just fine.
This is going to sound crazy but most of my 10-22s wear Simmons White Tail Classics 6.5-20x50 scopes. SWFA used to sell them for about 100 bucks. Good scopes for the money, but I dont know how they would hold up to a high power cartrige. They also have parallacs ajustment down to 30 feet. Ive also got a few Weaver V-24 scopes and they are great scopes but at around 300 bucks they should be.
Last but not least, barels. I currently have, White Face Mountain, Green Mountain, Magnum Research, Cleark, Whistle pig, Volquartsen and a ruger hammer forged ss t. My favorate one is the magnum lite, it will shoot 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards all day if i do my part. That is off sandbags with Federal gold medal, wolf and winchester dyna points.
The Green mountain barels i have are a close second, they also shoot around 1/2 to 3/4 inch quite regularly. And for the money they kick ass. My Whistle pig shoots under an inch at 50 so im not too happy with it, i think is still needs to be fine tuned or broken in.
If you decide to go the Green Mountain rought call ken at 603-284-7191. Usualy i get my barel in 3 to 4 days, probably even before he gets my check.
Dont forget to drop in a VQ hammer, the triger pull will be around 3 pounds, the best 35 bucks you can spend on a 10-22.

Hope this helps

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#17]
The only thing I have to add in addition to the others is that I like to use the Extended Powers Custom base, the one that mounts on the receiver and the barrel.  You mount it on the receiver, then spot center mark the holes on the barrel and D&T them.  It gives a longer scope base for a bit more latitude in scope placement.  In regards to the scope base mounting to both barrel and receiver making the barrel/receiver joint stronger, who knows?  I use Accraglass gel to glue in my barrels anyway. You would be surprised at how much that one little action improves accuracy on 10/22s and 77/22s.  Just make sure you want to keep that barrel in the gun for a while.  If you decide later that you do want to remove it, a propane torch on the BARREL, not the receiver, will break the AccraGlass bond long before any damage to the bluing will occur.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#18]
If you are going with a different barrel, Check into the Volquartsen Cantalever(sp?) mount.  It mounts directly on the barrel.  I really like mine, so that's my $.02.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm with Big-Bore on the Powers Custom Extended Base. I tried it first just mounted on the receiver; I saw a noticable improvement in accuracy after D&Ting the barrel. Seems like in my case it did a good job locking the barrel to the receiver.

And yeah, I use it with Zee Rings.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Volquartson cantilever mounted to the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I just picked up one of these combos from Ebay.  Power custom base with Millett rings.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3616900425&category=7307&rd=1
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the Jack Weigand mount on my 10/22.  It's very solid and lightweight.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Not in agreement. They're more than likely produced by the same foundry and then finished and packaged as required.

Do you not know WTF you are talking about.  The two bases are shaped different and are of different external dimensions.  Most if not all B-Square products are pure shit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Do you not know WTF you are talking about. The two bases are shaped different and are of different external dimensions. Most if not all B-Square products are pure shit.

Do YOU not know WTF YOU'RE talking about, slick? Apparently your knowledge of B-Square products can be described much as your eloquent opinion of them- SHIT. B-Square has made subtle changes to their product lines from time to time, most likely due to different suppliers. I have two or three B-Square mounts that are identical to the Power Custom mount pictured here and I have a few identical to the generic mount B-Square shows on their webpage. Time for you to go back to your sandbox.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I went with the Leupold one-piece base and Burris Signature rings. The rings turn into the base just like any highpower rifle setup. Rock solid. With the Signature ring plastic offsets, I have enough elevation for 300yd shots.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The Power Custom base is one nice base. I just purchased one here locally in Atlanta for $18.00. It's solid and looks great on my rifle. Also Max_Mike thanks for the insight on the cant with the receiver as I was wondering what would be a good choice of rings...

I will pile on for this.  The Power Custom base on my 10/22T was a solid investment.  I looked at the POS that Ruger supplied as the "free" base and laughed.  I wouldn't use that to put a scope on a Daisy Red Ryder (tm), let alone a decent .22 autoloader...

Best 18.00 I spent...

Geoff
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Will any of these bases accept an Eotech, Aimpoint, or any other ring mount designed for a AR15 flat top?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top