Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 5:42:32 PM EDT
I am on my high schools NJROTC rifle team and i learned to shoot pretty good cause we have very good trainers (Deb Boyle- who learned from Lew Tippie). Anyways all we can shoot is air rifle and i need to start moving up but i dont know what type of .22 rifle to start with. I know that i will definately be using the rifle for matches. I already asked my trainers but they are all going to camp perry for a while and i need to shoot! Price for the most is not an option. Any advice given on the topic will be most appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:02:10 AM EDT
[#1]
As a good starter rifle for somebody your age, I'd likely recommend the Marlin 25N before just about anything else.  It's inexpensive, magazine fed, and amazingly accurate for the money.  About the only bad thing I can say about it is the sights aren't very conducive to target/accuracy shooting.

Another option would be Marlin's "Biathalon" target rifle.  I honestly don't know if it's still an active part of their product line, but they are out there.

There are numerous European military surplus trainers out there as well, but I don't have any experience with them.  I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences shortly.  

Then again, if money is no objective, you could always go with an Anschutz.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I would pick up an Anchutz. They are probably the best .22s you can buy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking for an inexpensive, accurate bolt action .22 then I would suggest the Savage Mark II.  They cost around $135, and I get excellent results from it.  Or, just go with a 10/22.  It's probably the most enjoyable .22 while still being relatively accurate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
im thinking about the CZ 452 LUX, T/C 22 Classic, or The Anschutz 145L Rifle. They all got good reviews from the people that reviewed it and i dont feel like getting a 10/22 because they arent as accurate. The main problem is choosing between semi-automatic and bolt, im used to the action of the bolt type from air rifles but does it really matter?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
IF you get a 10/22 and put a really nice bull barrel on it you shoot be able to get some really good accuracy, whatever you do, I would stay away from the marlin semi-autos, every one I have shot jams every other shot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top