Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 1:55:35 PM EDT
I've been thinking about picking one of these up but I have a few questions.
First, how accurate are they compared to other competetive brands?
Second, how much do they cost?
Third, if you had to defend yourself, how hard hitting is it? Would it be comparable to a 9mm with a smaller hole?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
1. They are pretty accurate, provided your not going to get match accuracy, plinking wise it will hit what your aiming at out to 100 yards.

2. You should be able to pick one up for under $100

3. Its a .22. If you shot someone about 5 or 6 times with it they would die, but it probably wouldnt really "stop" a dedicated attacker. Best bet for a defense roll is something bigger.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
IMHO, save your money and get a 10/22.

I've had nothing but problems with my Mod. 60.

Also, there's not many parts/accessories available for the mod. 60.

10/22's have everything. You name it, and they make it for it. flash hiders, stocks, match parts, heavy barrels, folding stocks, hi cap mags, titanium parts, threaded barrels, etc...

Some peopel have had luck with marlins. MAybe i got a lemon. Regardless.... the 10/22 just has more to offer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my son a Mod 60 for his first gun, very accurate and have had no problems with it, it cost around a hundred bucks, I would recommend.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd suggest a 10/22, but considering they're almost twice the price of a Model 60, I can understand why Marlin sells so many 60's.  I had a Model 60 until an anti-gunner destroyed it, and it was my favorite rifle.  Compared to my piece of junk Kel-Tec or my Oly AR-15 that the bolt won't close over an inserted magazine (so it's a single-shot), the Model 60 worked like a sewing machine.  It was also more accurate than I am.  I shot about the same size groups with it that I shot with my Oly AR-15 even with the much better sights on the Oly.

As far as comparing it to a 9mm, 22LR is about 80 ft lbs of energy versus 350 ft lbs for the 9mm.  It isn't really comparable.  Since the Model 60 holds 17 rounds (mine did, I think some of the other models hold 15) and if you do use it for self-defense, I'd suggest pulling the trigger many times before stopping.z
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Model 60's are great! I've had 5 or 6 of them so far and loved every one. It'll outshoot a stock 10/22 most every time too. There's not much of an aftermarket for it like the 10/22 but I bought them to shoot, not sink 1k+ into. FWIW I think you'll be happy with a Model 60.

For those that have problems with your model 60's, here's a few tips
1. Clean the damn thing every so often
2. Don't over oil it, it'll gunk up much quicker
3. Stay away from bulk pack ammo, most of it is inconsistent and burns dirty (esp Win . X-perts)
4. CCI Mini Mags have worked flawlessly in all of mine. HTH
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had two of them, one for about 25 years.  I really don't know how old it is because it is named Marlin-Glenfield mod.60.  I shot the crap out of it until the sides of the bullet feed broke off which results in jamming.  My other one is about ten years old and works flawlessly.  It is very accurate and worth the $100 or so.  I have never really liked the tube magazine, slows me down when plinking.  As for self-defense it is better than nothing, just keep pulling the trigger until the sucker stops.  It's a fun rifle and cheap to shoot!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Model 60's are great little 22's, I grew up shooting an old glenfield/marlin 60 that has had so many rounds thru it the bolt face was damn neer peened flat but kept on going. As long as you follow the advice of others about cleaning and lubing and feeding you won't be disapointed.
The ruger is okay but from my exp with owning and shooting both the Marlin is a better 22 in the basic model format for cost and accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 1988 model 60 that I shot so much it's all but worn out. The "last shot hold open" works, but a light tap on the stock and it'll let go, the bolt face should be smashed to smitherenes by now too. It has a special place in my gun cabinet, and although it never gets shot anymore I do take it out every once in a while and oil her up real purdy like and relive my childhood.

BTW you can get replacement parts for that 60 from numrich or brownells.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
2. Don't over oil it, it'll gunk up much quicker

Ive been lubeing mine up with dry graphite, it works really well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Dry graphite isn't too bad, however excess oil such as Rem-Oil or CLP can trap the blowback from the action and quickly build up a sludge in the works, definately not the best situation. By quickly I don't mean 5-10 rounds, but rather more quickly than it would normally become dirty. I've used anhydrous graphite on mine with decent results. FWIW anhydrous graphite (Gunslick) worsk great to slick up the door locks on my truck and wife's car too!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#11]
It was my first gun as a kid.  It is reliable with decent ammo and accurate enough for plinking and ground hog up to 100 yards.

I will never give mine up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've had two of them, one for about 25 years.  I really don't know how old it is because it is named Marlin-Glenfield mod.60.  I shot the crap out of it until the sides of the bullet feed broke off which results in jamming.  My other one is about ten years old and works flawlessly.  It is very accurate and worth the $100 or so.  I have never really liked the tube magazine, slows me down when plinking.  As for self-defense it is better than nothing, just keep pulling the trigger until the sucker stops.  It's a fun rifle and cheap to shoot!

I believe Cabelas sells a speedloader for .22 tube fed it delivers 15 rounds right into the tube with a press of the button. Holds over 100 rounds.

May fix your problems. I know I need to pick up one for my Marlin 60.

Great rifle IMO, just keep it clean and avoid bulk packs. I use Remington Golden Bullets, normally work flawlessly, we did run into a bad brick that wouldn't function in any of our semi autos though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I love my model 60.  I put a Choate draganov style stock on it and a 4X Bushnell scope on it.  I can shoot empty shotgun shells at 100 yards with it.  Nice little gun.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I believe Cabelas sells a speedloader for .22 tube fed it delivers 15 rounds right into the tube with a press of the button. Holds over 100 rounds.

Im considering making my own out of some plastic tubing, probably wouldnt be that hard. Just cut to length, seal one end and put some kind of stopper in the other.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im considering making my own out of some plastic tubing, probably wouldnt be that hard. Just cut to length, seal one end and put some kind of stopper in the other.

I just like the idea of many tubes with push button access

I'm not very creative, I think I'll pony up my 16 dollars after I pick up a L.U.L.A
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The Marlin 60 is an awesome gun, mine only gave me problems when I ran it for a year without cleaning. Hosed it down with brake cleaner, and it's back to new. It still outshoots the majority of tricked-out 10/22s.

Graphite lube is critical, though, as .22 ammo is pretty dirty, and liquid turns to sludge in a hurry.

With those speed feeder tubes, I can reload very quickly. If I were in a  home defense situation, I would not hesitate to use my .22; I don't know anything that will stand a couple rounds to the head or chest, much less 14. The AR15 is much preferred in this case, however.

Basically, if you're not planning on mods, the Marlin is more gun than the Ruger, and cheaper, to boot.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Never was happy with mine.  Hard to keep clean.  Accuracy was not very good; and no where near as good as a 10/22.  I went for years buying .22s that were cheaper than a 10/22, only finally to admit there was nothing better or as good for what the 10/22 does for the cost.  Get a 10/22 instead, you won't ever regret it.  My dad is still going through the Remington, Marlin, ect. stage.  He still won't just be done with it and buy a Ruger.

BTW.  If you buy a Mdl 60, this is very VERY important, so don't ever forget this.  NEVER, EVER, EVER,  take the bolt apart!  I made this mistake once, and many, many, many hours later finally got it all back together.  I'm talking about the thin pieces that all go together to make up the bolt.  I don't remember why I had to take it apart, but it was a severe mistake.  I don't know if it ever functioned properly all the time, again.  Just that reason alone is enough for me to never ever want another one. Just trying to keep you informed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#18]
i bought a mod 60 when i was 18.  not a bad gun as i remember, i know there are plenty of dead squirrels because of it.  i finally traded it for an sks a few years later.
i just bought and cusotmized a 10/22 this spring and it is way better than the mod60. then again i have about $400 into it.  if i would have gone striaght for the 10/22, i know id still have it today.

$.02
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]
A model 60 was my first .22 and I shot that thing until it was worn out.  Me and my grandpa would go to the strip mines and shoot up a brick of .22 every weekend.  Fun times
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:09:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've had two of them, one for about 25 years.  I really don't know how old it is because it is named Marlin-Glenfield mod.60.  I shot the crap out of it until the sides of the bullet feed broke off which results in jamming. /

The big chrome chunk on the lower receiver if you take it apart? Got a spare, shoot me an IM if you want it, free. I'll even pay the postage!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I must have gotten a lemon Mod 60.  It was my first gun buy in 1981.  Plain Jane stock with a decent bluing job on it.  

I had 2 big problems with it. the first was that the barrel pin was loose and the barrel would wobble in the receiver.  I sent it back to Marlin 3 times for a fix and every time I got it back it was the same or worse.  It is sitting in my safe still to this day with a wobbly barrel.

The second problem was with misfires.  I would squeeze the trigger and "click".  Would eject out the round and not even a pin strike on the rim.  This problem would happen once or twice  a mag.  I had it checked when I sent it in the first 2 times for the barrel wobble and was told nothing was wrong.  

I personally would buy a 10/22.  I have had 2 of them for over 20 years and they are one of my favorite rifles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for the 10/22!
Reliable out of the box
Compact
Customizable (is that a word?)
Easy to clean

My $.02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top