Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 3:31:12 PM EDT
Now we all now about the 1994 Crime Bill that screwed over the semi-auto's.  But what about the small caliber .22 rifles?  The AWB states that:
Any semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following features:
a folding or telescoping stock.
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
a bayonet mount.
a flash suppressor or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.
a grenade launcher.

Is illegal to make.  But what about our rifles, the small caliber .22 LR and Magnums?  Take my Remington model 597 Magnum, now there is not a possibility for a folding/telescoping stock or a pistol grip (there has been no aftermarket accessories for this that I have ever seen), and there is no way in hell that I could attach a grenade launcher (not any reason that I would even think of it), and there is not a bayonet lug or the possibility for one on it.  THe only thing that I could do would be to thread the barrel for say a flash suppressor or muzzle break.  Would that violate the AWB?  I am curious about this because 597 has a little to much muzzle climb for a small caliber (it has more than a AR15 Carbine).

Other than that I am just bored and thought of a question to ask the ATF.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If thats the only evil feature then it should be ok

Im still looking for a way to put a folding stock on my Marlin mod 60
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
.22 rimfires are included in the ban. I'm guessing you knew this.

But, yes, you can thread the muzzle for a flash suppressor if you like.

Look at all the different 10/22's with built in sound suppressors. With the proper paper work associated with a suppressor you could add one to your 597 and still not violate the '94 Crime Bill.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Would if NY was that classification.  No sound suppressors, SBR, SBS, MGs in NY, AOW's are ok.  But I think that putting transfering the barrel to a colt style thread would be interesting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top