Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/10/2003 7:58:35 AM EDT
What's the best way to go about cleaning my 10/22? Do I need to clean it everytime I shoot it? I've only had it a short while and cleaned it once. I had to take it completely apart to get it clean. Is there a way to clean it without having to take it apart? What's the best way to patch the barrel while keeping it in one piece? I feel that taking it apart every single time to clean it will only lead to future problems. It's obviously not designed for this.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:57:03 PM EDT
The BoreSnake is a wonderful device for cleaning out the bore without disassembling the rifle.

But to clean the bolt face and back of the barrel area the only thing you can do is take the thing apart.

I used to thoroughly clean mine very frequently, like twice a week because I was burning 1000 rds per week. It still functions great and is now 25 years old. Now I still clean it every 2000 rds or so. Or, about once a year. Same goes for my new, heavy barrel custom 10/22.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:15:07 PM EDT
I have mostly gone with the-wipe down fingerprints
and don't mess with it if it ain't broke method
(please use on 10/22/s only)
Not to drive anyone away but you need to go here
rimfirecentral.com
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:04:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 00_buckshot:
I feel that taking it apart every single time to clean it will only lead to future problems. It's obviously not designed for this.

Are you saying you remove the barrel from the receiver every time you clean? If so, I would definitely not recommend this. The 10/22 barrel (in factory form) must be cleaned from the muzzle end, unless a pull through (Bore Snake) is used. The easiest fix is to drill a hole in the back end of the receiver to allow a cleaning rod to be inserted from the breech end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:58:48 AM EDT
Removing the barrel every time can loosen up the barrel to receiver fit. Mine was a press fit and I used Loctite 571 to really lock the match barrel in.

If you are concerned about cleaning only from the receiver end, you can drill a slightly larger than .22 hole in the rear of the receiver. This will allow the bore rod to go through the bore from the receiver without disassembling them. You do have to remove the stock, trigger group, bolt, and bolt stop.

I have a Volquartson barrel. I use a string with a loop on it. I drop the string through the muzzle to the receiver and then place a patch on the loop. I pull it through, remove the patch and then repeat. It usually takes only three patches to get this match bore spotless.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:18:11 PM EDT
i use a bore snske and clean what ever i can get at really well. ive recently done a lot of mods to mine and i have been able to clean it completely while i had it apart. otherwise i would just take it apart once in a while, every 2k or so.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:44:21 PM EDT
Is it difficult to remove the bolt? I have never done this, I only clean by removing the trigger group and get around the bolt as best I can. Can anyone fill me in on how difficult this is?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:55:00 PM EDT
Anyone need some 20 round mags for the 10/22?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:40:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ar15zams:
Is it difficult to remove the bolt? I have never done this, I only clean by removing the trigger group and get around the bolt as best I can. Can anyone fill me in on how difficult this is?

Couldn't be any easier. After you've removed the trigger group and the bolt stop pin (big pin at the very back of the receiver)lay the receiver/barrel upside down on your bench so that you're looking at the bottom of the bolt. Use the bolt handle to pull the bolt back as far as you can. While holding the bolt and handle all the way to the rear lift the front end of the bolt straight up. Thta's all there is to it. Reassembly is the reverse, you'll just have to use a screwdriver or punch to compress the recoil spring all the way, before you can drop the bolt back into its' recess.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:39:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
Anyone need some 20 round mags for the 10/22?

send me details please...
pollakd@velocitus.net
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:33:32 PM EDT
Instead of a screwdriver or punch (metal)to compress the spring, I use a wooden handle from (don't laugh) a kitchen spatula, with the rubber blase removed. That way nothing is scratched. Works great. Mine has the Volquartson trigger group (really great), Green Mountain BBL and Houge Overmolded stock, and nil-dot scope...

ps 10/22 is EASY. Don't ever take a Remington 597 apart for cleaning unless you have lots of time to get the four compressed, interlocked springs back in.
Top Top