Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 19 of 65)
Page / 65
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:33:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slapdaddy:
... Never would have crossed my mind to dab away with q-tips.

Now this thread is costing me not only money, but time as well.  Got some various khaki pouches I can try this out on.

Have to channel my inner Bob Ross.
View Quote
If you don't have the patience to Q-Tip dab try a solid rattle-canning, then follow up with a brush (2 or 3 inches wide) and you can get a "Dennison" pattern.  If you're good you can do a "Rhodesian" or Nordic brush pattern.

Kinda like:

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Just to finish the belt kit, here's the double-triple mag pouches.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54178/IMG_0834_JPG-2813001.JPG

I like the Brit style of 2 pouches joined together.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54178/IMG_0835_JPG-2813003.JPG

And the inside showing their doublers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54178/IMG_0836_JPG-2813005.JPG

And finally the lids.  Note they also have web doublers.

For you guys making individual pouches, just cut down the panels I'm using here to individual backing plates for each pouch, and sew on molle straps for attachment.  This rig is a custom sewn down design, so each pouch doesn't need an individual back wall.
View Quote
Are the T-5038 binding tape tunnels for bungee/shock cord cinching?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#3]
You have a sharp eye sir.  Yes indeed, but their purpose is two-fold here.  They primarily provide a tensioning device to keep shit from bouncing, not to mention rattling around, but in this position, they will also provide a "jump" lock, that the pull tab can be tucked behind, thereby locking it in place.  The thought being for insertion/extraction, not to mention infil or exfil, you can have your pouches locked down, and then later rigged for patrol, or actions in the obj area.  I was using webbing before but bungee is much easier to articulate in the field, so I stripped the "tunnel" off the middle portion of the cord, and put it to work.  Much quieter/lighter than SR buckles, and can be manipulated one-handed, in the dark, without looking at it.  Same as the tuck tab.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#4]
Not so sure if this is the "correct" place to post this, but the original GI MOLLE 1 FLC vest had a buckled-on (and (somewhat) height-adjustable) waistbelt that could be detached from the FLC in order to provide a place for the larger MOLLE pack's load bearing waistbelt.  As such, it made sense, given the overall intent of the system.  I suspect that it was too complicated--and expensive- to be useful, hence the "dumbed-down" MOLLE 2 FLC.

MOLLE 1 FLCs and waistbelt now uncommon, and possibly the best of the GI FLCs offered, since the detachable belt offers unique opportunities.  IMHO.

I remember that "FLC" thread, and the flak I took. Some of the flak was due to my not explaining my initial point of view properly, although I tried to do so with repeated (ETA) revisions to original post, and comments within the thread.  That's my fault, and mea cupa.  OTOH, there were persons who were antagonistic to my comments, some personally so, as in making false statements about me; they were "corrected" as to their comments by Sr. Staff, at my request. I cannot speak about some things about my being fired from Sr. Staff, but I can, and have, asked others to speak for me.  Don't like imposing on others, but there it is.

Some folks just objected to my LBV thread because they it was something outside their (possibly) limited personal experience, and that sort of thing is very common and understandable.

I don't regret posting the (LBV) original post, despite the push-back.  I believe its' original thrust to be valid today.

Sorry for thread-diversion. I thought it useful for various reasons.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Well there's something to be said for being still upright after taking so many hits.  

Someone made the comment a way back about the divide between what your basic "leg" Joe gets issued and what the ninjas all get.  I think there is some truth to that statement.  When all the Joes see the jedis all strutting around in their gucci kit, they begin to despise the stuff they are issued.  So when some guy on-line posts about how good it is, they fly off the handle at his "ignorance" of things, which in reality is just their frustration at not getting all the gucci stuff.

And what usually happens is the demand for lots of things the airborne mafia has, ends up with lots of items eventually issued to all the troops.  Whether we're talking about berets, airborne cammies or boots, or LBE.    This last go-round was amazing, in that all the troops ended up with an enormous amount of kit that started out as "special issue" and then became "general issue".  For example, I am simply amazed at the new kit issued to each Jarhead these days.  You only saw that kind of stuff at Recon or Anglico back in my day.  And all the Doggies made out as well.  

So if you got blasted for daring to remind the Joes that their "ghetto" kit was actually pretty good, I wouldn't take that too personally.  They were all busy up-grading and didn't want anyone bringing up the fact that their issue stuff was actually quite serviceable.  I'm not a fan of the FLC system myself, although I put that down to personal preference, not some outrageous flaw that can't be overcome.  Obviously, opinions varied on that point.  

The funny part is that people outside the system, that is, many civilians, have looked at stuff like this, and said, hey, this might be a good piece of kit.   And then you have to listen to all the vets tell you why you're an idiot.  Well, I think there is truth on both side of this argument.  Maybe for what the Army was doing, and what those guys were carrying, it wasn't an optimal choice, but for civvies, which much different kit (probably not as heavy for one thing), it can actually work well.  And that's what a lot of folks aren't factoring into these discussions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Any gear in the right hands is effective. I've yet to hear any troop say their gear saved the day.

In the end, our gear in more a vanity project than an absolute necessity.

in 1994 I was issued the first model LBV, 4 3x30 M16 pouches, two canteens with pouches, two compass pouches, a buttpack and a lg ALICE pack.

It worked. End of story.

The M1956 gear worked.

A shoulder bag over your shoulder works. I ran OPFOR for a couple years using a 2qt canteen pouch filled with mags as my "gear".

We are all familiar with the adage "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian." Well, his arrow quiver and loincloth also are not a defining factor in his effectiveness. Nor is his combat knife, or what brand of bow, or any of that shit.

Have functional gear.

That said, I've been a gear whore for almost 30 yrs, and we gear whores like to see what's coming and speculate on improving gear, but the gear shaming is truly asinine and I've been guilty of it myself. Just last week I laughed at a friends "Mil Tec" tactical vest." He actually bragged by saying; "It was only 30 bucks" LOL.

I set him up with a load bearing rig that will work BETTER.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:41:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#7]
This is very true, in that practically anything will work.  When I was doing research for an AK chest rig, I saw some amazing jungle workshop rigs.  Some weren't, uh, what I'd call optimum, but in each case they worked for the end-user.

I think where it starts to make a difference is when you finally get off your ass and do some training.  Then any short-comings in either gear, or it's placement become readily apparent.  When I did a series of SUT classes, I optimized a chest rig for that instructor, based on what he and his students were doing. And that there is the key.  Depending on you, and your environment, you may find certain kit, and certain techniques work better.  But that is for you, and your requirements.

When we talk about "jungle kit" here, it is for a very specific environment, and usually a very specific chore, namely recon-type patrolling.  What many are (re)discovering is a very different way of doing things, as opposed to what you've seen done in the past couple of decades.  And that is a real eye-opener, for those that have only been exposed to modern stuff.  

Where I've found it starts to make a difference, is when you drill down into it, with some training, and find out what makes a reload faster, easier; or how many rounds/mags does it take to do 3-4 bounds towards/away from someone; or what kind of pouch holds your shit securely (or not); or what kind of pouch is easier to get into (or not).  What gets in the way when I take a knee; what gets in the way when I prone out.  Am I carrying too much; am I carrying too little.  These things will all become readily apparent in short time.  So in my case, I have always strived to make my kit work better for me, so I am more efficient during battle drills.  Or just during movement as well.  Less bounce, less noise, good drainage, and some level of tolerable (dis)comfort.

Is it necessary?  That's totally up to you.  You can "get by" with just about anything; or you can optimize things to whatever level you think is required.  Most of us are very fortunate in that we have the wherewithal to do so.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Diz, I agree with all of that. We, right now, have the luxury of dialing in our gear, as opposed to just making do.

I think I've built and/or assisted a friend in building and dialing in 6-7 rigs this year alone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Almost two hours, only one big mistake that required a redo, and not the straightest sew lines ever.  Not super happy with the top corners on the back, but I wasn't sure how to finish them best.  Now just need to find the time to sew the three others.....

Stuffed with woobie hoodie for shape and to show capacity.

Beer can for size reference

Didn't plan out the interior front facing pocket right, way to narrow.  Will adjust fire on the next one. Top interior pocket for water tabs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this your first attempt at a pouch? Looks pretty damn good to me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RIFLEMANIV:
Is this your first attempt at a pouch? Looks pretty damn good to me.
View Quote

Yup. Many thanks to Diz for his advice and his pictures.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Ya man.  Looks good.  And don't worry about the looks - does it work?  Is the stitching strong - perfectly straight lines are not as important as actually doing the stitching right, though it looks like you got them straight enough where it's really important.  You will get the perfect lines down eventually.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks way better than my first attempts.  Good job man.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
Almost two hours, only one big mistake that required a redo, and not the straightest sew lines ever.  Not super happy with the top corners on the back, but I wasn't sure how to finish them best.  Now just need to find the time to sew the three others.....

Stuffed with woobie hoodie for shape and to show capacity.
https://i.postimg.cc/J035b8sK/IMG-4136.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/HsH2TrNN/IMG-4137.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zG2Sw0fm/IMG-4140.jpg

Beer can for size reference
https://i.postimg.cc/Y2QRc6dg/IMG-4138.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/BQgCbq9n/IMG-4139.jpg

Didn't plan out the interior front facing pocket right, way to narrow.  Will adjust fire on the next one. Top interior pocket for water tabs.
https://i.postimg.cc/DwwPbtnd/IMG-4141.jpg
View Quote

Nice work.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#15]
@Diz

Any suggestions on how to prevent the rear flap corners from popping up like they do? Should I change the shape or something else? TIA
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:42:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#17]
Well many ways to skin this cat.  Suggest you trim those side flaps into a curved radius, starting at back, and ending at flap front corner.  Remove lower half of the flap in a nice smooth curve.  Re-tape new shape.  By curving the shape, it helps the side flap get out of the way when closing flap.  Some folks also just cut a straight line.  This depends on nationality.  Germans: straight lines.  Brits: nicely tailored curve.  Italians: beautifully crafted double "S" curve.  Just kidding.  Sorta.  

This is something that I simply don't understand on the VelSys design.  Not only did they put a seam here (between top and side flaps), but also used different materials.  So they are prone to fold inward and foul when you're trying to close pouch.

The best designs have the closing seam on the front/side interface, not the side /top interface.  By having one continuous piece on the fold where the sides meet the top, it encourages the side flaps to fall outboard, and out of the way when you're trying to close things.

They will also have double-wall construction, or some kind of stiffener to help the flap hold it's shape.  

Also, the way you tailor the curve of the side flap will help in this regard.  You want minimal material up top, right where the flap bends to close.  Cutting it to break straight down (as in this example) is the least desirable way of doing things.  But you have now discovered that and are making progress.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#18]
HI! I need some info fast; my apologies for being demanding, so to speak.

Which UK made gear is GTG, and which is second-tier or lower?  Which Mfrs/vendors to use first, which are merely "OK", and which to avoid?

Which UK gear mfrs/vendors sell UK MOD gear, and which do not?  (Perhaps a similar list as above?)

Specifically, Is "Marauder" brand kit OK, or unsat?

@Diz    @marmsdorff   @joeviturbo    @ROCK6

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#19]
As far as users of the M1 Garand go, as well as users of rifles with 5-rd stripper clips are concerned, the "Jungle Rig" seems to pose unique problems for ammo carriage.

Sure, some single-clip pouches can be mounted on the forwards (front) portion of the belt, and fortunately such pouches can be had with MOLLE/PALS attachments from Olongapo Outfitters.

Such pouches will contain one M1 Garand clip in each cell, or TWO 5-ctg stripper clips.  In the event, the .308/7.62 NATO clip(s) might require a closed cell foam insert into the bottom of the pouch for "graspibility".

Even so, there is little room on the belt for even such small clip pouches.  I am investigating whether or not the Olongapo "Grab and Go" M1 clip carrier can be adapted, by optional removal of the OEM shoulder strap, AND substitution of suitable 1" straps with adjustable QD buckles into some sort of chest rig/placard for ammo carriage.  Will advise.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By raf:
HI! I need some info fast; my apologies for being demanding, so to speak.

Which UK made gear is GTG, and which is second-tier or lower?  Which Mfrs/vendors to use first, which are merely "OK", and which to avoid?

Which UK gear mfrs/vendors sell UK MOD gear, and which do not?  (Perhaps a similar list as above?)

Specifically, Is "Marauder" brand kit OK, or unsat?

@Diz    @marmsdorff   @joeviturbo    @ROCK6

View Quote

The #1 go-to company is:

https://www.jay-jays.com/

Other similar, tier 1ish companies (from what I am told):

https://dixiescorner.co.uk/

So this site is kinda like the 'REI' of british tactical gear.  They carry a little bit of everything.  Including new and surplus british issue stuff.  If you don't see what you want above, I'd poke around through here.  

https://www.kitmonster.co.uk/index.php/cPath/151

Other gear that I remember is supposed to be good, but I don't remember which ones for sure:

https://www.warriorassaultsystems.com/

https://dragonsupplies.co.uk/

https://britishtactical.com/

Brands to avoid:

Web-Tex, Viper and Kombat

Note that there are *alot* of british sites that sell surplus MOD gear.  Also, for surplus MOD gear, ebay is your friend too.  

I hope this helps for a quick and dirty look at the companies to look at.  I'll add some specifics below for MOD stuff to look for.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, so British surplus stuff.

You have the oldschool PLCE direct to belt attachment gear.  It's not MOLLE.

You have the modern modern MOLLE style PLCE gear.  The old style yoke's work with this too.  The belt is MOLLE and the pouches attach via MOLLE.  

You have the Osprey series of gear.  This is a slightly older British body-armor central gear system.  Most of the British pouches you see for sale surplus here in the USA are Osprey pouches.  Alot of them will work on the MOLLE belt kit.  I use alot of these - specifically the various canteen and utility pouches - on my gear.  It's well built, if slightly heavy.  There are about 4 different utility style pouches.  You can get them in MTP and desert camo patterns.  I think the brits use these pouches on their regular belt kit.

The Virtus stuff is the newer generation body armor system.  Came out in like 2018 I think?  These seem more body-armor central, but some would probably work on belt kit gear.  

If you want to go the MOD issue type stuff, I'd poke around the Kitmonster site and see what's on there.  They have a pretty complete listing of osprey surplus pouches on there.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#22]
As far as users of the M1 Garand go, as well as users of rifles with 5-rd stripper clips are concerned, the "Jungle Rig" seems to pose unique problems for ammo carriage.

Sure, some single-clip pouches can be mounted on the forwards (front) portion of the belt, and fortunately such pouches can be had with MOLLE/PALS attachments from Olongapo Outfitters.

Such pouches will contain one M1 Garand clip in each cell, or TWO 5-ctg stripper clips.  In the event, the .308/7.62 NATO clip(s) might require a closed cell foam insert into the bottom of the pouch for "graspibility".

Even so, there is little room on the belt for even such small clip pouches.  I am investigating whether or not the Olongapo "Grab and Go" M1 clip carrier can be adapted, by optional removal of the OEM shoulder strap, AND substitution of suitable 1" straps with adjustable QD buckles into some sort of chest rig/placard for ammo carriage.  Will advise.
View Quote

You are going to be hard pressed to get a bunch of pouches for the M1 Garand to fit just on the belt kit.  The old Garand belt kit had, what, 8 pouches total?  And that wrapped around to where the canteens would be.

You could maybe double up the pouches - one above the other - in the location where the regular 4 ammunition pouches would be on the British style gear.  Have a custom ammo pouch sewn up to do that.  4 clip pouches on each side.  That will give you 8 clips total, plus room for the canteens and utility pouches / buttpack.  

I am told that M1 Garand clips will fit nicely into 40mm grenade pouches.  The following video seems to back that up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRP65h-lLrc

The following vest would be more workable with the belt kit.  It would hold 18 Garand clips, plus have room on the belt that attaches below the vest for another 4 or so clip pouches, canteens, utility pouches, etc.  Pros and cons to these vests.  You would have to do some custom rigging to make it work with the British MOLLE belt systems.  However, it would probably mate up nicely with a British PLCE belt, which would let you then run old-school, non-MOLLE British PLCE utility / canteen pouches.  Add a hippo pad and it wouldn't be bad.  The vest is also super cheap, like $18?  

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-40mm-grenade-carrier-vest-new?a=2243112

You can get a set of British PLCE web gear, the oldschool belt driven stuff, here for $40.  It only has two utility pouches though.  I got a couple sets, and the gear ranged from new to 'well used and dirty'.  It's all mix and match.  However, both belts and one of the yokes came in in like new condition.  You could probably dig up a few more utility pouches elsewhere.  If you are going to make an order from that Kitmonster site I mentioned above for non-Garand gear, you could throw in a surplus belt and 4 or 5 utility pouches pretty cheap to go with the above vest.  That's probably what I'd look into doing if I were going to build a Garand belt-centered kit and didn't want to spend a ton of money.

https://www.budk.com/Great-Britain-Military-Surplus-Harness-And-Gear-Ba-49842

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:06:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#23]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

You are going to be hard pressed to get a bunch of pouches for the M1 Garand to fit just on the belt kit.  The old Garand belt kit had, what, 8 pouches total?  And that wrapped around to where the canteens would be.

You could maybe double up the pouches - one above the other - in the location where the regular 4 ammunition pouches would be on the British style gear.  Have a custom ammo pouch sewn up to do that.  4 clip pouches on each side.  That will give you 8 clips total, plus room for the canteens and utility pouches / buttpack.  

I am told that M1 Garand clips will fit nicely into 40mm grenade pouches.  The following video seems to back that up:

The following vest would be more workable with the belt kit.  It would hold 18 Garand clips, plus have room on the belt that attaches below the vest for another 4 or so clip pouches, canteens, utility pouches, etc.  Pros and cons to these vests.  You would have to do some custom rigging to make it work with the British MOLLE belt systems.  However, it would probably mate up nicely with a British PLCE belt, which would let you then run old-school, non-MOLLE British PLCE utility / canteen pouches.  Add a hippo pad and it wouldn't be bad.  The vest is also super cheap, like $18?  

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-40mm-grenade-carrier-vest-new?a=2243112

You can get a set of British PLCE web gear, the oldschool belt driven stuff, here for $40.  It only has two utility pouches though.  I got a couple sets, and the gear ranged from new to 'well used and dirty'.  It's all mix and match.  However, both belts and one of the yokes came in in like new condition.  You could probably dig up a few more utility pouches elsewhere.  If you are going to make an order from that Kitmonster site I mentioned above for non-Garand gear, you could throw in a surplus belt and 4 or 5 utility pouches pretty cheap to go with the above vest.  That's probably what I'd look into doing if I were going to build a Garand belt-centered kit and didn't want to spend a ton of money.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not to bring ‘shitty’ gear back into the discussion, but if a Garand Enbloc clip fits in a 40mm pouch, would the grenadier vest be a cheap base layer? I know it’s designed to work with the pistol belt that’s light years behind where we are now, but outside a custom setup I don’t see many options for Garand Zombie Apocalypse gear.

ETA: the SG link is exactly what I was thinking about. Just hadn’t hit the links until after I posted.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Not to bring ‘shitty’ gear back into the discussion, but if a Garand Enbloc clip fits in a 40mm pouch, would the grenadier vest be a cheap base layer? I know it’s designed to work with the pistol belt that’s light years behind where we are now, but outside a custom setup I don’t see many options for Garand Zombie Apocalypse gear.

ETA: the SG link is exactly what I was thinking about. Just hadn’t hit the links until after I posted.
View Quote

Yup.  With the right padding behind the belt, you could use the vest as the 'yoke' and rig up a doable 'belt kit'.  I mean, if you are bound and determined to rock that Garand through the zombie hordes (make sure to get that bayonet!), this is probably the best bet for a non-totally custom rig.  And for $16 or whatever, that's not a bad price.

Add an oldschool British PLCE belt and one of their hippo pads for the belt and a bunch of utility pouches.  And that bayonet sheath of course.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I think you guys just about covered it.  Sorry was sewing all yesterday; just saw this.  

Only to add Maruader is "cadet" grade, meaning it will work, for light duty training but not really built to last in harsh (jungle) conditions.  I am taking mine apart and re-sewing it with better features because I like the MTP base material.  This is sorta like the CFP-90; the raw material is there to work with, but it does need some work to be brought to say JJ's or Dixies' Corner stds.  Worth it to me becasue I run MTP cammies.  

If'n I was to source something right now, I would probably go with something from Kit Monster, only because I know it's good solid kit, and it also all goes together, with no questions about whether this pouch works with this belt or whatever.  I believe a lot of their stuff is from Hamiltons, which is probably like Tactical Tailor, vs VelSys (JJ's), Eagle (Dixie's Corner).  Just to put it terms of gear we are all familiar with.  In your case Raf, you could get a base with 4 sustainments around back, and Molle on the sides for "ammo" pouches.  In your case, conditions permitting, a 40mm vest would be an awesome way to carry clips.  You could then carry any pouch you liked on the sides for additional smoke grenades, GSW kit, binos, NVG's, etc.  Maybe even a dumper if you're saving clips (and why not).  

I did a vest one time for a dude with a Roosian sniper rifle.  This thing had like 5-rd mags so a vest format was ideal.  I think that makes the most sense in your case as well.  A micro vest format, with say 8 clips, and additional ammo in your rucksack.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:30:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#26]
TYVM for kind and informative comments.  On the way is the Woodland LBV-based "Grenadier's vest" from SG, and a set of GI Multicam 40mm grenade pouches for attachment to a different MOLLE FLC.  Between the two different items, I have all the other MOLLE/ALICE gear to rig them out.

The MOLLE 1 FLC, with the waistbelt detached, might serve as a viable clip "carrier" along with Brit style waistbelt.  Unfortunately, hard to find nowadays, but I have a couple.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#27]
British Army Personal Kit - Layer 1: Survive!

British Army Personal Kit - Layer 2: Fight!

British Army Personal Kit - Layer 3 : Live!

That is basically a lot of what we are talking about, only explained by a person with a lot more experience. Many good points.

Bonus: he also has a video on Jungle, i bet it is good material but still didn't have time to watch it.
Jungle Kit - Watch this video if you're heading to the Trees!

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#28]
TYVM for kind and informative comments.  On the way is the Woodland LBV-based "Grenadier's vest" from SG, and a set of GI Multicam 40mm grenade pouches for attachment to a different MOLLE FLC.  Between the two different items, I have all the other MOLLE/ALICE gear to rig them out.

The MOLLE 1 FLC, with the waistbelt detached, might serve as a viable clip "carrier" along with Brit style waistbelt.  Unfortunately, hard to find nowadays, but I have a couple.
View Quote

Make sure to post pics of these projects with a review, I'm curious how they turn out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:24:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#29]

Make sure to post pics of these projects with a review, I'm curious how they turn out.
View Quote
Pictures on pgs 1-7 and 23 in this MOLLE I Manual  should suffice, for now, to illustrate how the waistbelt can be detached from the MOLLE 1 FLC.  A short horizontal strap may be needed at lower back to secure the side panels together around the body.

In a similar vein, the Woodland ILBV "Grenadier's Vest" has the option of attaching a GI pistol belt at its' bottom.  ETA:  Woodland "Grenadier" ILBV arrived promptly from SG and was in new condition.  After some preliminary investigation, the webbing flaps on the pouches will need reinforcement webbing glued in place, and the installation of a second snap to secure the clip.  In addition, the bottom center of each pouch will need to be secured at its' center (either by sewing or a "Chicago" screw) to prevent the shorter 7.62 clip from sliding too far into the pouch and thus becoming too hard to grasp and extract; a small piece of foam at bottom of pouch is required for 7.62 clips, but not the longer .30-'06 clips.

The "hope" is that the bottom of one or the other rig will be high enough on the user's body to allow use of the wide Hip Belt discussed in this thread.  It may even be possible to attach the "beltless" FLC and/or ILBV to the "Jungle" hip belt using the included attachment devices present on both vests.

This exercise is only necessary for M1 Garand users and/or users of some rifles fed by 5-rd stripper clips.  Obviously, a niche application, although the niche might be expanded to SKS users.  ETA: it appears (from YouTube vid), that the GI "Flash Bang" pouch will fit 3x 10-rd AK/SKS stripper clips.  I >>might<< have to rig up a kydex "U" to retain the clips once the pouch is opened, and to keep the rds/clips from rattling.  

IMHO, the more options for gear/load carriage folks have, the better.  Expanding the number of users (even niche users) who can take advantage of the option of the "Jungle-style" kit seems a worthwhile experiment.

We'll see.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Just finalized ordering from Kit Monster:

1 x Hip Pad, MOLLE, AAMBeR, MTP, Vanguard
 - Yoke: Under Body Armour
 - Buckle: 02 Roll Pin
 - Size: 02 Medium

Cost (all-up) was $115.51.  "Carriage" was a reasonable $33.66.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#31]

The "hope" is that the bottom of one or the other rig will be high enough on the user's body to allow use of the wide Hip Belt discussed in this thread.  It may even be possible to attach the "beltless" FLC and/or ILBV to the "Jungle" hip belt using the included attachment devices present on both vests.

View Quote

The one I posted at Sportsmans Guide should work fine with a belt kit.  I've got a rifleman's version of that vest and you can easily rig up a belt kit to it - it's designed to do so.  

Not that it isn't designed to rig up to a MOLLE belt.  I mean, you might be able to make it work.  But it absolutely will rig up to an ALICE or oldschool British PLCE belt.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#32]

The one I posted at Sportsmans Guide should work fine with a belt kit.  I've got a rifleman's version of that vest and you can easily rig up a belt kit to it - it's designed to do so.  

Not that it isn't designed to rig up to a MOLLE belt.  I mean, you might be able to make it work.  But it absolutely will rig up to an ALICE or oldschool British PLCE belt.
View All Quotes

I have some "hope" that both the rigs will:
(1) Work with the "Jungle-kit" heavy waistbelt ensemble, and
(2) Work as independent items with some minor and easy, no-sew mods.

As noted above, such are niche items.

Time will tell.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like a plan.  And remember Raf, we may be slimy civilians, but we are smart enough to figure out our own needs, and tailor shit to them.  Just because Big Army, or the Crotch does things a certain way, does not mean we have to follow suit.  As a general guideline, sure, but we all have our own unique situations that may require different ways of doing things.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Beware the man who is still rocking an M1 Garand a few months into the Apocalypse.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey that's no shit.  Check out John Hurt's: "Feathers on the Wings of Love and Hate", I&II.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Sounds like a plan.  And remember Raf, we may be slimy civilians, but we are smart enough to figure out our own needs, and tailor shit to them.  Just because Big Army, or the Crotch does things a certain way, does not mean we have to follow suit.  As a general guideline, sure, but we all have our own unique situations that may require different ways of doing things.
View Quote

All very true, Diz, but there are some folks who refuse to acknowledge it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#37]
That's almost a part of that bro-vet thing, in that only they can have guns, gear, and tattoos; the rest of you all are just imitate-n.  Remember that idiot who blew up on line about civilians wearing military kit?  What a fucking putz.  I guess he forgot about all the minutemen.  

I have found there are vets who know what they're talking about, and others who are clueless.  There are civvies who know what they're talking about, and others who are also clueless.  The key is not whether you served, but if you know what you're talking about.  

When I first got on line, I thought everyone was a vet, then I realized it's just that more info is available, and a lot of these jokers are just kids.  But then some stood out, such as Military Moron, who knew more info than your average vet about all this stuff.

While I admit, I sometimes get a case of the ass with some of these kids talking shit about these things, without a second of overseas deployment in the bush, I also realize anyone has the right to keep and bear arms, and wear anything you like.  What these bro-vets are saying is only the government use of these things is legit, and that's pure bullshit, any way you slice it.  

As the man said, wear your kit Kings!
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Beware the man who is still rocking an M1 Garand a few months into the Apocalypse.
View Quote

If you are, I'd advise having an adjustable gas plug, but that's for another thread
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:04:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#39]
Understood about M1 adjustable gas block; got it covered.

Back on topic, so to speak, in a niche way just discovered a box of modified MOLLE "Grenadier" pouches modified (closed bottom) to accept and retain a small closed-cell foam spacer in their bottoms for installation of 7.62 NATO ammo (with full double foam spacer) and .30-06 ammo (with single foam spacer).  These pouches are so damn tight that the foam spacers are necessary to prevent "over-insertion" of the M1 clip, thus requiring excessive force to extract the clip.  Also included in the box were a bunch of two-cell MOLLE "Pyrotechnics" pouches, which also fit M1 clips, and which save space.

Just for laughs, I'll need to investigate appropriate pouches for stripper clips of 10-rds of 7.62x39 ammo.

Regret the "niche" intrusion, but the more folks able to use their "legacy" firearms in conjunction with the "Jungle" platform, the better, I think.  Investigating practical alternatives for "legacy" or unusual firearms seems useful, to me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:13:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#40]
Understood about M1 adjustable gas block; got it covered.

Back on topic, so to speak, in a niche way just discovered a box of modified MOLLE "Grenadier" pouches modified (closed bottom) to accept and retain a small closed-cell foam spacer in their bottoms for installation of 7.62 NATO ammo (with full double foam spacer) and .30-06 ammo (with single foam spacer).  These pouches are so damn tight that the foam spacers are necessary to prevent "over-insertion" of the M1 clip, thus requiring excessive force to extract the clip.  Also included in the box were a bunch of two-cell MOLLE "Pyrotechnics" pouches, which also fit M1 clips, and which save space.

Just for laughs, I'll need to investigate appropriate pouches for stripper clips of 10-rds of 7.62x39 ammo.

Regret the "niche" intrusion, but the more folks able to use their "legacy" firearms in conjunction with the "Jungle" platform, the better, I think.  Investigating practical alternatives for "legacy" or unusual firearms seems useful, to me.  YMMV.
View Quote

Thank you for the information and I’d welcome pics if you’re able to provide them. There are a thousand ways to store a STANAG mag, 100 ways to hold an AK mag, but few options for different firearms like the SVD, PSL, Garand, M1 carbine, SKS, etc.

Knowledge is power…
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Thank you for the information and I'd welcome pics if you're able to provide them. There are a thousand ways to store a STANAG mag, 100 ways to hood an AK mag, but few options for different firearms like the SVD, PSL, Garand, M1 carbine, SKS, etc.

Knowledge is power
View Quote
Agreed.  Will post topics in Tactical Gear forum as pertinent, not here, in order to prevent further thread diversion.

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I think this discussion is just a discussion jungle / belt kit....not weapons specific.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I think this discussion is just a discussion jungle / belt kit....not weapons specific.
View Quote
You have a valid point.  OTOH, if the "Jungle kit" can be made to work with "legacy" firearms, so much the better.  I'll avoid contaminating the thread with "diversions".
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Agreed.  Will post topics in Tactical Gear forum as pertinent, not here, in order to prevent further thread diversion.

View All Quotes

Thank you for the information and I'd welcome pics if you're able to provide them. There are a thousand ways to store a STANAG mag, 100 ways to hood an AK mag, but few options for different firearms like the SVD, PSL, Garand, M1 carbine, SKS, etc.

Knowledge is power

Please drop a link in here. I don’t own a Garand yet, but my fathers will eventually be mine
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#45]
So I started with this….

And dyed and padded the belt….

Then began sewing version one of my pouches…

And then with some slight mods, and figuring out how to construct them, I’m finished with round one.  I ended up attaching the buckle to a piece of webbing to allow for a tunnel for a bungee cord if I need it.  And I folded the back corners in to shape the lid better.

I could just add back the current pouches I have to finish it (ammo pouch, IFAK, and commander pouch). But now that I’ve cut my teeth, I think I’m definitely going to make an ammo and IFAK pouch.  My commanders pouch may stay as is. But I’m sure at some point I’ll make a new one.  Many thanks to @Diz for his guidance.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 3:28:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
So I started with this….

https://i.postimg.cc/DzbhMtVg/IMG-4070.jpg

And dyed and padded the belt….

https://i.postimg.cc/k4QmnKgR/IMG-4081.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9K7KbMw/IMG-4080.jpg

Then began sewing version one of my pouches…

https://i.postimg.cc/J035b8sK/IMG-4136.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/HsH2TrNN/IMG-4137.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zG2Sw0fm/IMG-4140.jpg

And then with some slight mods, and figuring out how to construct them, I’m finished with round one.  I ended up attaching the buckle to a piece of webbing to allow for a tunnel for a bungee cord if I need it.  And I folded the back corners in to shape the lid better.

https://i.postimg.cc/brfFLNgt/1627-CBEC-0-C32-4-D25-B67-B-4421052-B9843.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/8cdXYQXn/8-C8588-F9-805-C-4835-8-B23-1-CA3-BC7-F21-F2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/nzDPvQ4x/993-AE76-B-4354-412-C-99-C4-50-A8-A2665-AC1.jpg

I could just add back the current pouches I have to finish it (ammo pouch, IFAK, and commander pouch). But now that I’ve cut my teeth, I think I’m definitely going to make an ammo and IFAK pouch.  My commanders pouch may stay as is. But I’m sure at some point I’ll make a new one.  Many thanks to @Diz for his guidance.
View Quote

Looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 4:14:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Great job.

Yesterday video from jungle school in Hawaii.

Noticed by someone other than me, starting at 56:00 mark you can see one instructor wearing what looks like a JayJays belt kit with the large alice pack.
How Army Jungle Soldiers Are Training For A Possible War With China | Boot Camp | Insider Business

Screenshot

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
Want to get even older school, one of these USA M1918 Grenade Vests would probably hold 2 M-1 Enbloc Clips per pocket.  ITs even Coyote Tan OD#2, rigged with a TT MAV H Harness. Over 100 years old!
World War One U.S. Army M-1918 Hand Grenade Vest?

WWII Airborne had some limited issue, Rigger-made pouches for multiple Enbloc Clips, another for M-1 Carbine 15rd Magazine another for 20 and 30rd .45 M-1 Thompson SMG Magazines.    But I would think losing an Enbloc while removing one or not securing the pouch immediately would be a risk.

The 2nd issue 30rd M16 Magazine Pouches had individual flaps with a #20L snap to secure each Magazine so none would fall out if the lid wasn't immediately secured.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Here ya go, OP:

https://poshmark.com/listing/VIETNAM-ERA-LC2-LOAD-CARRYING-SUSPENDERS-ALICE-CLIP-OD-LBE-RIG-BUT-PACK-5-LD-05-6403c1fc712eae04c54f14b7?utm_source=gdm_men&utm_campaign=19929534621&campaign_id=19929534621&ad_partner=google&gskid=pla-2005815641016&gcid=654013584930&ggid=149472287924&gdid=m&g_network=g&enable_guest_buy_flow=true&gbraid=0AAAAADwcDC-jesKWyOx270G1e46Mb7BEh&gclid=CjwKCAjwyeujBhA5EiwA5WD7_fDMtEPFgxwtFFLlk-Sag4R6C_AFTAdP1_dkmWRoNqXBJLqq_4PSNxoCskkQAvD_BwE

I fucking HATED the LC-1. It was a raging POS.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By wsix:
Any gear in the right hands is effective. I've yet to hear any troop say their gear saved the day.

In the end, our gear in more a vanity project than an absolute necessity.

in 1994 I was issued the first model LBV, 4 3x30 M16 pouches, two canteens with pouches, two compass pouches, a buttpack and a lg ALICE pack.

It worked. End of story.
View Quote
What choice did you have back then?  None. Its not like you could have gone out, bought the latest Coleman plastic framed Mountain Pack to use in the field.   Or the latest offering from Eagle Industries,  you would stick out to every E7 and above who would tell you "Dat shit ain't authorized, troop!"

Like some of these for sale ads on ebay, calling the ALICE the "Pack of Choice" for US Forces.......there was not choice.  You wore what Uncle Sam issued you, and that's all.    Some units even required an SOP for how your LBE was to be set up, First Aid Pouch attached to the Y Harness on the non-firing shoulder, when the Lensatic Compass was also issued it was to be worn on opposite shoulder or on equipment belt forward of the left side M16 3-Mag Pouch.  

There was no "Shooters' Choice" as I heard the term used during the GWOT.

Now Jungle Patrol Belt Rigs,   that old Gen I MOLLE Main Ruck Bag looks like a perfect fit for riding above the kidney or Bum Bag, it just needs a chopped down FILBE/MOLLE4000/Down East 1606-AC or 1606-MC Frame, to keep it off your back.   Maybe chop the frame down to the 2nd horizontal cross bar to give it the right length to ride above the Belt Order? Ruck Bag would be a bit more CU than the Pattern 44 Pack and about the same CU as the Pattern 58 Pack. And you can still plus up the carrying capacity by adding 1-4 Sustainment Pouches as needed.
Attachment Attached File

Page / 65
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 19 of 65)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top