Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@pebble

My AMPS w/NFMI should be arriving soon. What radio and PTT are you using with yours? I've got a Yaesu FT-3DR and need to find a decent PTT.
View Quote

For radio, the
Baofeng BF-F8HP 8W is the best. It's a chinese made radio that is actually very high quality, and being chinese, they aren't limited to conventional US frequency or power limits. You can use these things like police scanners, or even talk in the TV spectrum if you really wanted to. Very easy to find hidden channels for when you don't want every old regular yahoo with a FRS/GRMS radio to be able to listen in.

The Disco32 PTT units are high quality and compatible between both the opscore and Baofeng.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It’s weird. I can get audio output using Howard Leight impact sports from the commountain speaker mic. I get audio  through the Fl6n from an iPad. My next guess is to try the fl6h mono cable. I got the FL6N that you linked from SRS.
View Quote

You need an amplified speaker mic to get audio into the comtacs
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Keeping this thread on page one. Good info, fellas. Still trying to iron out the following details:

Radios: If we broke GMRS radios down into three simple categories, which models would fit into them?

Cheap but workable
Mid-grade
Sort of high end, but not top-tier

Again, our needs are: 1-2 mile range minimum, more is better.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

For radio, the
Baofeng BF-F8HP 8W is the best. It's a chinese made radio that is actually very high quality, and being chinese, they aren't limited to conventional US frequency or power limits. You can use these things like police scanners, or even talk in the TV spectrum if you really wanted to. Very easy to find hidden channels for when you don't want every old regular yahoo with a FRS/GRMS radio to be able to listen in.

The Disco32 PTT units are high quality and compatible between both the opscore and Baofeng.
View Quote

Also look at the Wouxun KG-UV series (I have the Triband 8E). They're a bit more, I think about $115, but they have an IPx rating, and have a Scramble feature when talking to other Wouxun's. It's not encryption from what the guys on the Ham forum say but its unintelligible to me - average Joe just coming across it won't hear anything in the clear. Has a ton of other features, for radio nerds. Programs with the same cable as the Baofeng's, and there is free software for it. CHIRP can do basic programming, but the Wouxun software offers way more features.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My comtac IIIs took a shit, is there anyway to get them serviced or am I just out of luck?
View Quote

I would say contact Peltor and ask. If they can't service them then I suppose you now have an excuse to get Comtac Vs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Keeping this thread on page one. Good info, fellas. Still trying to iron out the following details:

Radios: If we broke GMRS radios down into three simple categories, which models would fit into them?

Cheap but workable
Mid-grade
Sort of high end, but not top-tier

Again, our needs are: 1-2 mile range minimum, more is better.

Thanks again.
View Quote

https://forums.mygmrs.com/
https://forums.radioreference.com/forums/gmrs-frs.169/

These folks use GMRS and will have much better answers about the radios than those who don't.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It kinda has to be that way given you can have something like 1000 channels in a zone on the Anytone.

The argument that Anytone radios suck because they're chinese is kinda weak. Sure, I don't want to support china either, but Motorola doesn't even make a radio that can be programmed from the front. And for most "prepper" useage, that's going to be pretty important.
View Quote

I've had Motorola XTS models that are front panel programable (FPP).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top