Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What helmet pads are y’all using to retrofit these?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally got mine (sorta) finished up today. Now to accessorize! This won't be my primary, but likely will go in the truck kit. I put it together on the cheap with a shroud I traded for on the EE, some MSA rails from GunNook, and a chinstrap from a busted Airsoft helmet. The shell was one I picked up at a gun show 10+ years ago. The only real issue I had was it was already drilled for a 3 hole shroud using 3/16 hardware. Rather than using washers and having slop around the 4-40 screws the shroude came with, I epoxied some 3/16 aluminum rivets in after I drove out the stem. Still need to fill the gap in the edging at the back...

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I kinda screwed up the cut, trying to use the Ops Core rails and the MSA rails to create the cut line, but its not too bad. Still need some velcro, since I don't think a cover exists for this config unless I roll my own.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Finally got mine (sorta) finished up today. Now to accessorize! This won't be my primary, but likely will go in the truck kit. I put it together on the cheap with a shroud I traded for on the EE, some MSA rails from GunNook, and a chinstrap from a busted Airsoft helmet. The shell was one I picked up at a gun show 10+ years ago. The only real issue I had was it was already drilled for a 3 hole shroud using 3/16 hardware. Rather than using washers and having slop around the 4-40 screws the shroude came with, I epoxied some 3/16 aluminum rivets in after I drove out the stem. Still need to fill the gap in the edging at the back...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/98686/20200925_205204_jpg-1607384.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/98686/20200925_205120_jpg-1607386.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/98686/20200925_205132_jpg-1607388.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/98686/20200925_205142_jpg-1607389.JPG

I kinda screwed up the cut, trying to use the Ops Core rails and the MSA rails to create the cut line, but its not too bad. Still need some velcro, since I don't think a cover exists for this config unless I roll my own.
View Quote

That's a great-looking job.

Curious why your rails seem so much longer than mine.

And I used the contour of the rails for my cuts behind the (removed) ear-sections. I'm not sure what you mean you did in your describption.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I mean I used the ARC rails and MSA rails to build my "template", so its kind of a hybrid cut line. The MSA rails sit higher, but the ARC rails have a distinct corner. Had I followed the ARC rail it would have ended up with about 1/4" of the ears intact, and the MSA rear drop added another 3/4" of linear length to the edge on both sides, so the edging would be way too short...so I went with combo of the higher side but the more distinct corner.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would like to know as well. The team Wendy liners look nice, but there are some cheaper options too.

Also, will ACH rails fit on a PASGT helmet without it being cut? I've got two helmets to play with and I'm definitely leaving the ears on one of them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would like to know as well. The team Wendy liners look nice, but there are some cheaper options too.

Also, will ACH rails fit on a PASGT helmet without it being cut? I've got two helmets to play with and I'm definitely leaving the ears on one of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First question= Once the ears and bill are removed from a PASGT, you have now essentially changed it into an ACH high cut helmet. You can use any pads you want, same as you would use in an ACH high cut helmet.

Second question= Yes, rails made to fit an ACH will fit on a PASGT, BUT you need to keep in mind that both ACH and PASGT helmets come in different sizes and not all rails will fit large and XL helmets. The ears are larger on large helmets vs. medium helmets. Some rails will only fit on medium helmets and some are made to fit any size. Also keep in mind that PASGT helmets have the holes drilled in different locations so new holes need to be drilled for ACH rails to bolt onto a PASGT.

Edit= You mentioned leaving the ears on one of your PASGT helmets, good idea, IMO. I have both ACH and ACH high cut helmets but my favorite helmets are still PASGTs. PASGT helmets may not look as cool or modern as high cuts but they have more coverage and that's what counts if bullets are flying at you. Here is the helmet I'll likely be grabbing if SHTF (a PASGT), it has MSA rails and an Opscore H-Nape chin strap on it.
Also, if you use MSA rails on a PASGT, the original front holes of the PASGT end up being in the correct location already. You only need to drill the rear holes for the rails. The front holes do need enlarged a little though because the ACH bolts are fatter than the original PASGT holes.

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm the guy that you're probably thinking of.
I made a couple ACH high cut helmets from PASGTs. If you're gonna cut off the ears of an ACH, it isn't much more difficult to start with a PASGT and also remove the brim, ends up the same either way.
https://i.postimg.cc/8PkDvtWT/20200508-143012.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Zn8zrVYk/20200601-163608.jpg
View Quote

Wow! Awesome!
nice work.

What earpro is that? looks different than the Amp´s.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wow! Awesome!
nice work.

Cheers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made a couple ACH high cut helmets from PASGTs. If you're gonna cut off the ears of an ACH, it isn't much more difficult to start with a PASGT and also remove the brim, ends up the same either way.
https://i.postimg.cc/8PkDvtWT/20200508-143012.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Zn8zrVYk/20200601-163608.jpg

Wow! Awesome!
nice work.

Cheers

It's an FMA RAC headset. It's a copy of the Opscore RAC. I'm too cheap to spend $1,400 on an Opscore RAC .
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm trying to figure out what rails will fit my United Shield ACH High, size Medium. I found some MSA rails but the contour and hole spacing is all wrong. The rials don't sit flat on the helmet. My existing rivet holes- there are no screws- is 6 1/2", and the holes in the MSA rails are 7 7/8". I'm hoping I can get the answer here because so far, two CS reps have told me they can't measure the hole spacing on the rails they have. What the hell kinda customer service is that?
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]
If you watch BigJunk1's videos, he had to Dremel and shape the rail to get it to fit. Also, did you check the link he posted about the ebay rail? That might be a cheaper and better-fit option for you.

To all those who posted and contributed to this thread, thanks. I have a far better understanding on how to go about this now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you watch BigJunk1's videos, he had to Dremel and shape the rail to get it to fit. Also, did you check the link he posted about the ebay rail? That might be a cheaper and better-fit option for you.

To all those who posted and contributed to this thread, thanks. I have a far better understanding on how to go about this now.
View Quote

I haven't made any videos about helmets? I've only posted photos and information here on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Cross-post from a thread I started in the HAM forum. I thought one of you guys might be able to help:

Okay. So, I couldn't afford real Peltors, so I bought a knock-off pair on Amazon to mount on my helmet-rails. (Yeah. I know. The budget is tight and I have needed to cut SOME corners!)

Of course, since they're knock-offs, they're set up for Baofengs (although the two-prong plug MIGHT work with my FT-817 [which I never use], but I digress).

I need them to work with my VX-7R.

The PTT that came with them has the two prong plug, but the headset itself has what reminds me of a shorter 1/4" stereo plug with 3 black rings around it - I suppose for R/L and mic.

Can someone PLEASE point me toward a PTT which will work with this 1/4" plug? I can't find a damn thing.

Sincerest thanks!

*Bonus question: the PTT I have for my throat-mic/earwig and FT-817 is pretty decent quality (at least, I think so). It has nice, screw-in connectors with what remind me of old S-video contacts. Is there a cord which would be female on one end for the headset, but would fit the PTT - and is there one then I can also get to go from the PTT to the VX-7?

That would be another way to solve the dilemma.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cross-post from a thread I started in the HAM forum. I thought one of you guys might be able to help:

Okay. So, I couldn't afford real Peltors, so I bought a knock-off pair on Amazon to mount on my helmet-rails. (Yeah. I know. The budget is tight and I have needed to cut SOME corners!)

Of course, since they're knock-offs, they're set up for Baofengs (although the two-prong plug MIGHT work with my FT-817 [which I never use], but I digress).

I need them to work with my VX-7R.

The PTT that came with them has the two prong plug, but the headset itself has what reminds me of a shorter 1/4" stereo plug with 3 black rings around it - I suppose for R/L and mic.

Can someone PLEASE point me toward a PTT which will work with this 1/4" plug? I can't find a damn thing.

Sincerest thanks!

*Bonus question: the PTT I have for my throat-mic/earwig and FT-817 is pretty decent quality (at least, I think so). It has nice, screw-in connectors with what remind me of old S-video contacts. Is there a cord which would be female on one end for the headset, but would fit the PTT - and is there one then I can also get to go from the PTT to the VX-7?

That would be another way to solve the dilemma.

Thanks again!
View Quote

I assume the plug you describe on your headset is a TP120? The TP120 is a common plug for headsets. Here's a U94 type PTT listed for your radio that connects to a TP120 plug. This was the least expensive PTT from searching on Ebay, there may be some from the US that cost more if you look around?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-Z-TACTICAL-U94-HEADSET-U-94-A-PTT-For-YAESU-VX6R-VX7R-VX-6R-E-VX-7R/233424937753?hash=item365935e319:g:5oUAAOSwRDRd6az8
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a ACH that might end up getting chopped since I found this thread.  For the ones who mod’d their helmets you think it was worth it? My ACH fits fine over my peltor and it’s comfortable enough.  With a rail system it looks a lot more convenient to pop in and out off but you sacrifice a little ballistic coverage.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a ACH that might end up getting chopped since I found this thread.  For the ones who mod’d their helmets you think it was worth it? My ACH fits fine over my peltor and it’s comfortable enough.  With a rail system it looks a lot more convenient to pop in and out off but you sacrifice a little ballistic coverage.
View Quote

Obviously, I started out with a PSGAT, but the effort was absolutely worth it.

I didn't expect to have to buy new pads, but having done so, I could hardly be happier.

Besides . . . it's only money, right?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are those standard Ops Core high cut helmet covers? I'm looking for something that fits a high cut ACH helmet.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Are those standard Ops Core high cut helmet covers? I'm looking for something that fits a high cut ACH helmet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are OneTigris covers. The PASGT helmets end up exactly the same dimensions as an ACH high cut helmet, after the ears and Bill are removed. The OneTigris covers fit an ACH high cut fine but the rear of the covers (width) needs to be pulled together. The covers are made wider than needed in the back portion because fast helmets have rails that are spaced further apart, the covers also fit fast helmets. Notice how I have the rear of the cover folded upon itself to fit. This is how the cover fits on a Large ACH high cut (front to back). The cover goes all the way to the bottom on a medium helmet.
" />
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Anybody in here have intel on which harness works with the hardware from the Ops-Core rail kit?

I've gone and cut up a TBH that was essentially free, using the Ops-Core rail kit as my trace line.

However, the Gentex harness that was already with the helmet, does not have big enough holes in the tabs for the Ops rail hardware.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top