Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2017 4:48:32 PM EDT
The tactical gear sub-forum has been a pretty cool pace (before) to learn about equipment.

As of late, it has turned into a sort of place to show off stuff that people buy.
And that's cool I suppose, people work hard for their money and like to be able to display the fruits of their labors.

But it's lost something.  Or it never had it, and I was just kidding myself back when I used to come in here.

There was a lot more to this joint than questions about... where to buy stuff at a discount and who had what in stock.

Is there a reason to this sub-forum anymore?  Or has it simply devolved into "take a look at my stuff" and "who has a discount code for xxx vendor?"

This could be a place for so much more, but I'm not sure how to approach it without potential ego bruises

I mean, seriously.  We could be curing diseases with the combined horsepower in knowledge and experience on this board
Can't we do better than show-and-tell?

And if it's just going to be show-and-tell, can't it be more useful show-and-tell?
We could have a combined collection of useful gear review videos or demonstrations of potential pros and cons for what's out there.

There aren't any tips or tricks really being shared here, it's all just "I got a thing, look at it"

When I T&E gear it's being put through its paces.  I use it and see what I can do with it, I find its limitations.  
After testing, I present my findings clearly and in a straightforward manner and I make sure it's as useful as I can make it to those that want questions answered

We could do that here, but instead we're relegated to sniffing around for snippets of information and piecing together an often inaccurate picture

You know over in the AR15 discussion sub-forum, there's this guy... Molon.  He tests barrels and ammunition, the evals are amazing and very complete
Why isn't that happening on other parts of this forum?

I figured I'd bring it in here first, because you guys all have a lot of soft gear.  That stuff is easy to test.
Rucks, bags, vests, all sorts of shit.

You don't have to make a video series or anything, but it'd be awesome if you did.
And if you have a face for radio or you're camera shy, just write as best you can about it and take a lot of pictures.

I get it, there's a lot of airsoft kids out there and some of them are going to use this information to further their airsoft street cred at the playground.

But a lot of real people might be looking in here too, to solve real problems.

And what do they find?  Is it useful?  Does it help solve their problem?

This place could be the fucking online Encyclopedia Britannica of equipment, but right now it's sorta that shitty comic that nobody reads in the local paper
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

You know over in the AR15 discussion sub-forum, there's this guy... Molon.  He tests barrels and ammunition, the evals are amazing and very complete
Why isn't that happening on other parts of this forum?
View Quote
The masses no longer want to hear Molon's message, either. They drove him away.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The masses no longer want to hear Molon's message, either. They drove him away.
View Quote
For real? That guy was awesome, a legit ARFCOM asset.

ETA: I agree with OP to a small degree. raf does some great reviews, and updates them. Otherwise I'm here looking for certain posters' opinions on gear, or at least what they post in the pics threads. I'll take the opinions of the LEOs and dog tags crowd and factor them into my decisions. I really appreciate you professionals chiming in.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I think one issue may be that gear is so subjective. What works well for me may not work at all for you. As humans we also like to cargo cult around certain brands. Just like crossfiters may buy a Nike shirt when a cheaper one would work as well we identify ourselves with symbols and signs as a shorthand. I would like to use this only as a place to educate others, but I doubt that's really practical now. Most people are laypersons about most things, and most people don't have the time or effort to get into the details of things. For someone that does not have the time to study gear or get into keymod vs mlok debates they look at pictures of hsld guys in gear and buy that because it works for operators good enough for them. One example of someone who know better doing that is Karl from the inrangetv YouTube channel emulating a Russian "alpha" an which is a very specialize rifle and using it for a general purpose rifle which it performed poorly as. I'm kind of rambling at this point and I Don't think I'm getting my point across but That's why I think it would be difficult to use this page as only a educational page.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think one issue may be that gear is so subjective. What works well for me may not work at all for you. As humans we also like to cargo cult around certain brands. Just like crossfiters may buy a Nike shirt when a cheaper one would work as well we identify ourselves with symbols and signs as a shorthand. I would like to use this only as a place to educate others, but I doubt that's really practical now. Most people are laypersons about most things, and most people don't have the time or effort to get into the details of things. For someone that does not have the time to study gear or get into keymod vs mlok debates they look at pictures of hsld guys in gear and buy that because it works for operators good enough for them. One example of someone who know better doing that is Karl from the inrangetv YouTube channel emulating a Russian "alpha" an which is a very specialize rifle and using it for a general purpose rifle which it performed poorly as. I'm kind of rambling at this point and I Don't think I'm getting my point across but That's why I think it would be difficult to use this page as only a educational page.
View Quote
It's cool man, I was thinking more in terms of objective reviews.

You know, along with basic sizes, features, and the options present something included like "During this review I used this backpack for airline travel, camping, a deployment, raids, and it accidentally got dropped into the ocean once... here's how it held up, and what I liked or didn't like about it for someone my size and shape"

Being objective and straightforward would be best I think.  Videos would be great because more people are apt to watch a video rather than read paragraphs of sometimes poorly-written and disjointed material.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You know, along with basic sizes, features, and the options present something included like "During this review I used this backpack for airline travel, camping, a deployment, raids, and it accidentally got dropped into the ocean once... here's how it held up, and what I liked or didn't like about it for someone my size and shape"

Being objective and straightforward would be best I think.  Videos would be great because more people are apt to watch a video rather than read paragraphs of sometimes poorly-written and disjointed material.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did this giant review with tons of pics of MSA Sordins. I also did a similar thing for those surplus German flak vests but I used Photobucket to host the pics in that thread so all the pics are gone. Been meaning to redo it. Been meaning to write a lot of gear reviews like the Sordin one but finding the time is a bitch.

If I was rich as hell or at least got paid to do that stuff I'd happily sit around all damn day playing with stuff just for the sake of reviewing it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I was rich as hell or at least got paid to do that stuff I'd happily sit around all damn day playing with stuff just for the sake of reviewing it.
View Quote
And here's the cool part, you have the gear and know how it works and someone else has questions about it and it might be new to them.

What's second-nature to you with that gear might be a fucking mystery to someone else, or you might have figured out options that nobody else did

If you could put that Sordin review back up, that would be awesome
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And here's the cool part, you have the gear and know how it works and someone else has questions about it and it might be new to them.

What's second-nature to you with that gear might be a fucking mystery to someone else, or you might have figured out options that nobody else did

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhh... it is up, at least in the sense that it's accessible. It's archived now. You mean just repost it?

I'm in here as often as possible answering questions. Mostly about nylon gear, electronic earpro, body armor, and the like. That's my area of knowledge. I've typed some huge ass walls of text explaining stuff to people.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Uhh... it is up, at least in the sense that it's accessible. It's archived now. You mean just repost it?
...I've typed some huge ass walls of text explaining stuff to people.
View Quote
Yeah man, polish it up, type it back out, re-hang the photos, and post it.

Hell dude, I'd love to see posters hacking gear to optimize it for field requirements.  How do you split-off a U-328/U connector?  
What about something simple, like the differences between high-impedence and low-imepende headset microphones?

How to make a BA5590 battery adapter to use the remaining power left in a radio battery to charge a cell phone?

What are some good ways to set up an aid bag?

Heck, what's a good way to set up a ruck for backpacking?

Everybody wants to be ready for the second coming of jesus and packs up VOKBOKIFAKS and nobody knows how to ruck?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with you and usually stop in here to see some good reviews as well.

Many times, there has been some kind of war going on about armor, or basic recommendations for soft gear, comms, and ear pro.

I'm the type that really likes the DIY stuff, since I've been making my own gear for so long.  I've done some DIY threads here before for those that like to make their own.

I also like the history of web gear, how it has evolved, how much has changed once so many companies started by end users have revolutionized the market away from the issue garbage that was all you could wear before.

One thing that would be cool would be a personal load bearing equipment history with pics for those that have been military or LE SRT.

I've always had a plan like that, to show what I wore in different units, what I modified then and why, and how that evolved into what I wore in the next unit.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I see a lot of reviews here. Most of the pics I post here are from hunts or competitions.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I agree with you and usually stop in here to see some good reviews as well.

Many times, there has been some kind of war going on about armor, or basic recommendations for soft gear, comms, and ear pro.

I'm the type that really likes the DIY stuff, since I've been making my own gear for so long.  I've done some DIY threads here before for those that like to make their own.

I also like the history of web gear, how it has evolved, how much has changed once so many companies started by end users have revolutionized the market away from the issue garbage that was all you could wear before.

One thing that would be cool would be a personal load bearing equipment history with pics for those that have been military or LE SRT.

I've always had a plan like that, to show what I wore in different units, what I modified then and why, and how that evolved into what I wore in the next unit.
View Quote
LRRP, If you made a "series" of posts showing how your gear evolved and why you did certain things I would be a subscriber!

I probably have saved a lot of money because of this subforum. Lots of good information here. I agree, it is not always a steady stream of good information though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't know if the mods would be down with it, but I have a proposition...

I could make a thread wherein all gear reviews, guides, etc. of acceptable quality are added to a curated list in the OP. I could break it down by sections (armor, plate carriers, earpro, misc. gear, etc...) and then add a link to each thread so it isn't buried forever in the archives once it drops off. This would of course require the thread be tacked, which is where the mods approval comes in.

The creation of such a tacked thread would, in my opinion, encourage a few things. One, people would be more encouraged to do reviews or guides in the first place if there is a tacked thread where the information will forever be easily accessible to viewers of this forum. It would also add some visibility to the effort of getting people to share detailed information in this sub-forum, rather than just using it as a place to ask mundane questions. The thread would serve as a compendium of gear information, collected and updated for years to come.

I volunteer for the task of curating the thread as I visit this forum at least once a day and am more than happy to deal with the task. I've seen many others who do such things forget about it eventually and the thread is left without updates. I can say with certainty I'm not going to be disappearing anytime soon.

What say you guys?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
When we were hot and heavy into the GWOT, this place was on fire.  No wars, no real interest in gear or gear development by manufacturers due to the lack of consumers.  All we have to do is invade/occupy Iran for a decade to water the tactical gear tree.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When we were hot and heavy into the GWOT, this place was on fire.  No wars, no real interest in gear or gear development by manufacturers due to the lack of consumers.  All we have to do is invade/occupy Iran for a decade to water the tactical gear tree.
View Quote
See that? ^
That's why.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
See that? ^
That's why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
See that? ^
That's why.
Just take a look at militarymorons website; wars died, so did his reviews on real gear.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just take a look at militarymorons website; wars died, so did his reviews on real gear.
View Quote
cool, I'll go back to doing something else
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
See that? ^
That's why.
Why would I take the actions of someone who has never been in the military as an indicator of whether or not we are at war when I've been to war, myself?

eta:
I got this from his own site:
Update 3/26/16 - Some of you have noticed (and asked me about it) that I'm not posting as many writeups as I used to in the past, so I thought I'd post a quick update. Frankly, I'm surprised that I'm still writing. When our son was born in 2007, I really thought that I'd have to give this site up. Write ups take an insane amount of time. To write more than a couple of week is literally a part time job in addition to my full time job. Most of the time I had outside of work was devoted to photography, using the gear and writing about it. Amazingly (to me), I was able to still make time for write ups; mostly staying up my son's bedtime and spending more of the weekends to continue writing. The year after he was born, I posted 87 write ups! Nuts!
As my little boy grows older, I'm spending more and more time with him as a good father should. Helping him with schoolwork, taking him to his Jiujitsu classes, going for walks, riding our bicycles, going to the beach etc. At the time of this writing, he's almost 9 years old. I've also added other activities besides my regular gym workout regimen like indoor rock climbing (my wife's passion) and I've started swimming again regularly after 30 years of laying off, so my time outside of work is spread out even more than before.
MilitaryMorons has always been a family effort - it would not have been created, or be possible without the continued support of my wife, who understands my passion for shooting and the outdoors. I'm not ceasing to do write ups; they'll just be less frequent than before. I still love this industry and all the folk I've met through my site. Thanks for reading!
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Standby... tweeter gave me an idea.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Another forum has a "fighting load out" thread, in which members post photos, descriptions, reasoning, experience, etc. with the gear they actually use in the military or police. Plenty of room for other threads, gear porn and discounts, but that ONE thread has tons of useful feedback from guys who have put their stuff through hard use.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I do like the idea of having more in-depth feedback and discussion about gear, but I think the biggest...drawback(?) is that the audience we have here seems to be much more variable than other forums that are geared specifically towards a certain audience (ie LF is mainly for warfighters, etc.).

In other words, I can totally see solid and serious reviews of kit  being buried under "Well, my Condor PC has held up fine for me during my paintball games, so why should I spend $300 on this PC, etc." or "AR500 is the best thing since sliced bread, you don't need that fragile ceramic crap." Which can be discouraging for those who spent quite a bit of time testing things out and writing it up.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Other forums have complained about the same lack of traffic and besides all the reasons why posted above, I think that things have just migrated to social media sites.

FB/Instagram and whatever else there is now wasnt around in the late '90s and early 2000's when forums like these got their start.  We spend so much time on those platforms now so that is where things naturally migrated to.

People can post videos, pics and reviews all without having to host pics or anything requiring a little extra effort right there, so it just is a more convenient way of doing business.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#23]
All I know is that I went through the giant PC and war belt threads ad nauseam when I was putting my kit together and it helped immensely. What another poster said about notating the responses of the dog tag and first responders definitely stuck with me as well. I’ll probably have little to contribute as far as real world experience with my gear, just in different training environments but I really appreciate the folks that take time to chime in with meaningful, well thought out responses. Cheers
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I think this place has fallen off in terms of people simply because of the Trump slump. No one has guns on the brain because they think guns are safe.

Place seems like a ghost town compared to how it was. At least it seems. I’m sure that’ll change when the political winds change. Plus the things mentioned above.

I did a minor review on my new PC. I tried to not make it a show off thread. Same with my unity mark adapters. Again I think people just aren’t buying as much stuff.

As far as the arrogant backyard tester who tried to be scientific but tested outside with multiple uncontrolled parameters......yeah, I’ll hold my opinion of him.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Another forum has a "fighting load out" thread, in which members post photos, descriptions, reasoning, experience, etc. with the gear they actually use in the military or police. Plenty of room for other threads, gear porn and discounts, but that ONE thread has tons of useful feedback from guys who have put their stuff through hard use.
View Quote
Came here to post this.  That thread on said site has a pretty strongly worded intro that it is NOT a gear porn/picture thread and all posts must have a “why” aspect to it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Came here to post this.  That thread on said site has a pretty strongly worded intro that it is NOT a gear porn/picture thread and all posts must have a “why” aspect to it.  
View Quote
Is there some rule against saying this site's name?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#27]
It's on Lightfighter. They, ah, don't hold our site in very high regard. (Actually their tolerance for shenanigans is next to zero)
Nevertheless, is is a Fantastic thread- very very informative.

Part of why that thread is so chock-full of good info is a ruthless adherence to posting standards that doesn't seem like it would mesh with the "less professional" timbre of ar15.com.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Hmmmm.  I would be interested in posting what I've done/did/doing in regards to tac gear.  BUT.  I have found, like others mentioned, that arfcom is very diverse.  You start drilling down into why/where-fors of setting up a good belt kit or whatever and you get responses that make you wonder why you even bother to post in the first place.

But hope springs eternal and I would really like to contribute to some kind of effort to raise the caliber of this here forum.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:36:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm guilty of not writing more reviews/user experiences like I used to.  Ill try, even though I'm currently occupied with the whole war on terror thing that doesn't exist anymore.

I like individual reviews because they offer a more comprehensive picture of the items.  You are free to take and leave what you view as opinion irrelevant to your interests.  If anyone is like me I spend a lot of time downrange and as such spend a lot of time looking for new gear, both for professional and personal purchase.  I'm sure I'm not the only person that hates spending money in the blind, as I've been burned by many products that didn't deliver or ones that I misunderstood certain aspects of them.

With all things internet, be wary and fact check on your own, as I've been burned on this forum by bad info from some clueless people.  But I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I do like the idea of having more in-depth feedback and discussion about gear, but I think the biggest...drawback(?) is that the audience we have here seems to be much more variable than other forums that are geared specifically towards a certain audience (ie LF is mainly for warfighters, etc.).

In other words, I can totally see solid and serious reviews of kit  being buried under "Well, my Condor PC has held up fine for me during my paintball games, so why should I spend $300 on this PC, etc." or "AR500 is the best thing since sliced bread, you don't need that fragile ceramic crap." Which can be discouraging for those who spent quite a bit of time testing things out and writing it up.
View Quote
I don't think that's a drawback, I think that is an advantage. That just needs to be incorporated into the reviews and write ups.

There are people in this thread that use gear and have a need for gear that doesn't meet my needs or have more robust requirements that what I need. For example, I'm in a mech unit now, so I have no need to know (and no way to test) how something holds up to a jump. That doesn't mean information about how something performs during a different set of circumstances than what I typically experience won't benefit me, or this board.

I have had three or four items since the spring that I have been meaning to post an in depth review on. I hope to have time this weekend to do that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#33]
While product reviews are useful, I also think that having discussions that explore what is required, and what are solutions, give the person the knowledge to make/buy gear on their own.  Instead of a laundry list of specific products that work, or not, look at the requirements and decide for yourself if a product has what you need, or not.  For instance, let's say you have evaluated your possible/likely threats and decided you need rifle caliber body armor.  You have also decided that a ceramic/poly "Level III+" strikes the best balance between pro, and weight.  So now you need a carrier that fits a SAPI medium.  This is where this forum kicks in.  But oftentimes this is done in a vacuum, where nothing is discussed as to why you need it, or how you plan on deploying it.  In other words, mission drives the gear.  How many times have we heard that?  But we keep on ignoring that and buy what is popular instead of what works for us.

That is one problem with arfcom.  The community is so diverse, that when you talk about actual mission requirements (or possible requirements), you lose a lot of folks that are simply into milsim or whatever and are more concerned with imitating the big boys than they are with their own requirements.  Style and fashion trumps function.

Now sure we can discuss stitches per inch and sew patterns that make a piece of gear strong for any application, but then where is the actual use?  Going back to our example, we may find that what we need is something quick to don, in case something goes bump in the night, versus a soldier or LEO that is already wearing this stuff for long hours at a time.  Wouldn't you think that would have an impact on what kind of design is needed?   Yet you still having people buying stuff based solely on what DevGru or CAG are running.

But that is just me.  Perhaps this is not the proper venue for these discussions.  If everyone wants to just dress up and play tier one pipe hitters, then drive on.  There is a huge market for that and many vendors who are more than willing to help you out in that regard.

But if by making better, you mean better defining the mission statement of the average armed citizen in an urban environment (where the vast majority live) and discussing what gear requirements may be required to support that mission, then yeah, we can switch gears here and start looking at our actual requirements, rather than focusing on what is/was being used in the GWOT.

Or not.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#34]
It would be good to establish several categories of interest and state those up front so the reviewer or user can cover-down on what is relevant.

Examples:

MIL
Deployed Active Duty/Military Regular Outside the Wire Types
- Airborne and SOF
- Airmobile
- Light/Mountain/Tropical
- Motorized
- Armor
- Artillery
- Engineer
- EOD
- Combat Medicine

Combat and CS Aviation Personnel

CONUS Training for deployment/readiness Personnel

Non-combat MOS Rear Support Personnel

LE/Fire/Rescue
Local LEOs standard Patrol with Active Shooter kit requirements

LEO/HRT/SRT/SWAT Entry and Designated Marksmen

LEO Plainclothes (Investigators, PC, etc.)

LEO Aviation Personnel

Firefighters

EMTs/Paramedics

Search & Rescue

CAP Aviation S&R/Counter Narc

CAP Ground

Hunters
Medium game seasonal rifle hunters (deer, elk, moose, bear)
Year-round hog hunter
Coyote/varmint hunter
Bow Hunter
Helo hunters
Waterfowl blind and boat hunting

Reenactors/Collectors
Milsim
WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, 80s, 90s gear

Homeland Security Civilian
Inside the home Defense
From the Vehicle Defense
Larger Property Perimeter Defense
Workplace/business defense

Outdoor Recreation
Hikers
Campers
Climbers
Watercraft
Survival

PMC
Land-based Static Facility Security Personnel
Maritime Ship and GOPLAT Security/Medical Personnel
VIP PSD Personnel
ADVON, PC, Site Exploitation, Recovery Personnel

Travellers
Business
Explorers
Cruise
Airline
Road

If you state up-front what the gear is intended or designed for, your use of it in the above categories, the readers can determine quickly if it interests them or not.  We have a wide range of forum members who use gear for all of the above, coming from vastly different walks of life, and many of us have used clothing, equipment, PPE, and weapons that cover down in several of the above areas.

I could start a thread on the latest plate carrier, but it will have no real value even to many Combat Support or Support personnel working from a forward-deployed airbase on aircraft maintenance, flight line operations, or ordnance.

I could also start a thread on some type of awesome new winter hunting ensemble for yote hunting, with integrated thermal insulation from the ground while sitting, crawl reinforcement for the elbows and knees for your stalk to get closer to the coyotes, best tripods and optics that work for this, but it will have little interest for the family who got tags for the fall/winter deer hunt.

The static security PMC in some foreign sh*thole might be really interested in other people's experience with travel and VIP PSD work though, as well as GOPLAT contractor experiences since several aspects overlap.

Basically a coding system for threads and posts.  If it was a sticky, it could help people cover down on specifics and make the Sub Forum more valuable I think.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!  Been saying the same thing for years now.  Without any context of how it's going to be used, you just get these generic reviews that talk mostly fluff.  And without knowing a little back ground from the reviewer, you don't know how to weigh the info.  You don't have to get too stupid, just enough to know who is saying it, and what is his mission statement.  Like former grunt, with reconnaissance experience, and for home defense in a WROL sit.  Bingo, now we all know what the fook is being discussed.

It would be a first, I'm sure, but we all lay down our card on the table, and say exactly who we are, what we're up to.  Not so much as persec violation,  but enough to know.  For years I've seen these ambiguous conversations on line with guys discussing all this stuff, and you wonder who they all are.  Are we talking former military here?  LEO?  Hunter, competitor, or milsim?  I don't really care, as long as you identify to a group and state your purpose.

Now this may be anathema to the anonymity of the internet, and all that, but seriously, if you want to have an adult conversation about this stuff, you need to come out from behind the keyboard a little bit and engage.

I am a former cold war Marine, mostly reconnaissance background, and I am mostly concerned with armed civilian home defense.  I am also a former parachute rigger and tac gear maker from way back.  With that being said, I have also tried to stay up to date with current T,T,P's, especially as they relate to a more urban environment that most of us live in.  When I talk about tac gear, this where I'm coming from.  If you find it useful great; if not, then ignore it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Solid points, always happy to read some opinions on gear since pics only go so far with wearable items
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#38]
What if we had a subforum within this subforum catered to .Mil/LE folks (but non-exclusive, anyone can still access it)? Would be a place for those who actually use their gear in life-or-death situations to discuss it and share lessons learned. And those who aren't using their gear for such purposes can post in the "general" forum. Seems like it would be the most expedient way to get the major user groups separated out/identified so everyone has context on the post (ie a 3-gunner probably won't be interested in plate carriers).
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, I like what you're trying to get at, but my main thrust is to take what I've learned from the mil/LEO side and apply it to civilian use, for possible contingencies.  I don't want to keep anybody out that is interested in building up load outs for actual use; I just want folks to declare their background and end-use, so you can decide the merit of their comments.  I mean everyone has the right to use gear in anyway they see fit, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.  That's not the issue.  What I want to try and do is sort out all those who want to do this as a hobby from those who are actually training for real use.  That's all.  I don't care if you want to play games and all.  That's fine.  But I'd like to know that up front when someone is commenting about a piece of gear.  Those that are playing games, continue to do so.  Those that want to train for other things, you can now get advice from others like yourself.

Again, it's not about exclusion, rather simply stating your end-use so we can better judge your comments.  The strength of arfcom lies in it's diversity; you don't need another mil/LEO forum taking a piss at everyone else "beneath" them; I've known armed civilians that were head and shoulders over active duty guys and cops.  So it's not necessarily who you are, but what you want to use it for.  I'd just say if you're a serious student of self defense, then you're welcome.

But then again, there's no reason mil-sim guys can't contribute to the overall discussion about the technical merits of a piece of kit.  They are using it, in their own way, and granted there is overlap in the way it's used and so forth.  Just come out and say so.  I've known some really good hobby guys who contribute to the overall effort.  But they never made any pretense of being a pipe hitter or anything.

I guess what I'm getting at is the very nature of the internet, where you really don't know who you're talking to.  Some folks take advantage of this and so there you are.  People put out phony info or bullshit just to get attention or whatever.  Other people think they know what they're talking about, but never having used or trained seriously with it, don't know what they don't know.

So going back to the concept of end-use. It's simply a matter of declaring what the mission for this load out, or particular piece of gear is.  Then those with similar interests can talk about it.  If it doesn't interest you then ignore it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#40]
I have soooo much tac gear left over finding what I wanted that I have pretty much decided to do a crap ton of in depth reviews and start a Youtube channel just to try and help guys out since the reviews on such gear are a lot fewer and further between than gun and optic reviews. That led to me spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars wasted finding the best gear, and I keep holding on to the discarded stuff so I can a gear comparison video on each type. Trouble is, work takes up lots of time and personal pursuits like reloading, long range shooting, etc. take up time. If anyone wants to complain about the posts in here, feel free to do your own videos/reviews and post em. Hell, I have not even had the time to get a LE membership for my arfcom account this whole decade. Perhaps I will get that new GoPro I wanted for Christmas and I can get to reviewing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#41]
I would really like to see your input on here.  I remember when I first visited these websites and by the ways guys were talking, assumed everyone was a veteran.  I did not realize that in the info age just about anyone can look this stuff up and fake it.  Back in my day, the only guys that knew this kind of info were guys that had actually done it.  Nowadays you get all kinds of people posting all kinds of crap.

But.

If we can move past all this crap and regain some semblance of sanity here, through self-policing, then I think we can still have some good discussions.

DevL, LRRPF52 I've seen your posts and would be interested in your take on things.  I have been using and making this stuff for over 40 years as a jarhead and then an armed civilian.  But I don't know it all and like to hear what others think.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It does seem to have fallen off a bit. I’m not much help on content anymore as I’m no longer much of a gear consumer, but it’s always good to get more quality content.
View Quote
I’ve outiftted myself too but I like coming here to find new products that can upgrade my old ones.

For example at first the maxpedition roly poly was the shit, and it’s goid, but I saw the velocity systems micro diddy and it’s awesome. So small. I love finding stuff like that here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#43]
All I know is threads like the one jkbulldog started about what he’s carrying in one of those Stans right now was awesome.

I still think we do ok here. Again, I just think less people are focused on other stuff because they aren’t worried because Trump.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#44]
@tweeter

They say "Love it or leave it" but you want to change it and for the worse.

"The tactical gear sub-forum [still is] a pretty cool place to learn about equipment."  If the forum owners want to change it, that is their call and we will all wish them the best. It can only get better. Even now, this forum is fine just the way it is. It seems like everyone has a voice. In the true American spirit of equality, no one pulls rank or experience and no one voice drowns out the other. Anyone who wants do the underhanded behavior listed below, can buy their own website and stroke themselves for profit there.

Yes, it is that dreaded time of the year. When certain judas goat crye baby puppet clowns. Get "their" FREE items in from Pategonia or XYZ, and as a condition for receiving these FREE goods. These judas goats must find and have a "special" venue to write a "review." Filled with "tips and tricks" with their "experience" and how good the products are, and directing the masses (us the lamb dupes) where to get it at the slaughterhouse. Most importantly, these judas goat "reviewers" must not disclose having received items for FREE or discounted, under condition of writing a "review."

This kind of obvious judas goat fake reviewing and bragging on many sites, makes me more sick than you are. With these judas goats, representing themselves out to be pro big game hunter "reviewers," when all they've done for pay is sledge hammering some baby ants, if that. Good grief, now these characters want a matching merit badge section for their own paid "reviews" and "insight."

As a know nothing, in addition to the posts by these "kids" you don't like, I also like to consider real "advice" and "reviews." From those who have actually faced a real first world military in their lives. Not disguised "reviews" by those with other motives. Whose sum of "experience" have only been, up against the American people acting as thugs to attack our freedoms at home, or stinking, half naked, sandal clad and barefoot judas goat cannon fodder, funded by mossad XYZ in the worldwide hunting preserves, and in some or many cases both fields, all for pay. As if that was not enough, now they want more pay to write "reviews." we should trust.

To the down home folks like us, it gets even worse, laughable and sickly, when these paid "reviewers" place these artificially inseminated merit badges all over and around their user names, as if to help solicit more paid reviews as a side line business.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#45]
i'm not trying to change anything
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Ar15city, I get the gist of your post...but damn. It's just nylon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#49]
You’re right. I used to be here more than GD. Not anymore. It’s partly how the new layout groups things. I think it’s also a case of not many people using their gear more.

I remember your pocket dump thread. That was a favorite of mine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:09:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@tweeter

They say "Love it or leave it" but you want to change it and for the worse.

"The tactical gear sub-forum [still is] a pretty cool place to learn about equipment."  If the forum owners want to change it, that is their call and we will all wish them the best. It can only get better. Even now, this forum is fine just the way it is. It seems like everyone has a voice. In the true American spirit of equality, no one pulls rank or experience and no one voice drowns out the other. Anyone who wants do the underhanded behavior listed below, can buy their own website and stroke themselves for profit there.

Yes, it is that dreaded time of the year. When certain judas goat crye baby puppet clowns. Get "their" FREE items in from Pategonia or XYZ, and as a condition for receiving these FREE goods. These judas goats must find and have a "special" venue to write a "review." Filled with "tips and tricks" with their "experience" and how good the products are, and directing the masses (us the lamb dupes) where to get it at the slaughterhouse. Most importantly, these judas goat "reviewers" must not disclose having received items for FREE or discounted, under condition of writing a "review."

This kind of obvious judas goat fake reviewing and bragging on many sites, makes me more sick than you are. With these judas goats, representing themselves out to be pro big game hunter "reviewers," when all they've done for pay is sledge hammering some baby ants, if that. Good grief, now these characters want a matching merit badge section for their own paid "reviews" and "insight."

As a know nothing, in addition to the posts by these "kids" you don't like, I also like to consider real "advice" and "reviews." From those who have actually faced a real first world military in their lives. Not disguised "reviews" by those with other motives. Whose sum of "experience" have only been, up against the American people acting as thugs to attack our freedoms at home, or stinking, half naked, sandal clad and barefoot judas goat cannon fodder, funded by mossad XYZ in the worldwide hunting preserves, and in some or many cases both fields, all for pay. As if that was not enough, now they want more pay to write "reviews." we should trust.

To the down home folks like us, it gets even worse, laughable and sickly, when these paid "reviewers" place these artificially inseminated merit badges all over and around their user names, as if to help solicit more paid reviews as a side line business.
View Quote
So full of words, so empty of meaning. Been here since 2013 and only got 87 posts. Gee, I wonder how many of those were spent adding info to this forum?

People like you are why people like me are hesitant to dedicate hours of our time to writing and photographing for forums like this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top