Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2017 12:28:35 AM EDT
What have you guys found to be the best/required/etc. accessories for London Bridges 3 Day Assault packs? What isn't necessary?

I'm sitting here with the foam/HDPE frame insert, Medium modular insert, and some velcro backed pouches in my cart and even with the sale prices I'm feeling the sting a bit after having ordered a bunch of other crap for Black Friday already.

ETA: Please see my post on 12/6.

For reference, I'm talking about these packs:

Link Posted: 11/26/2017 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You have it. Insert and sheet.

The three day pack design were the cats @ss 20 years ago. What you get is two large pockets in a fairly durable platform that lays flat to the back.
Downsides is floppiness without a back panel, weight all above the waist with limited transfer to the hips and relatively wide width. Also predates the wide scale issuance of advanced armor, I.e. The PASGT era.

There is a reason why narrow and more modular packs are out there now.
That said, it has been two days since I last used a vintage Blackhawk three day pack. Classic design.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have it. Insert and sheet.

The three day pack design were the cats @ss 20 years ago. What you get is two large pockets in a fairly durable platform that lays flat to the back.
Downsides is floppiness without a back panel, weight all above the waist with limited transfer to the hips and relatively wide width. Also predates the wide scale issuance of advanced armor, I.e. The PASGT era.

There is a reason why narrow and more modular packs are out there now.
That said, it has been two days since I last used a vintage Blackhawk three day pack. Classic design.
View Quote
Thanks. I know 3 day assault packs aren't exactly top of the line anymore, but LBTs design seemed updated and more well thought out compared to some other designs. It's got a padded waist strap, we'll see if it actually rides my hips or not.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I once traveled internationally for two months with an LBT three day. At the end I could have sold it as LNIB.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Two necessities:  The HDPE frame sheet/foam insert, and the Condor T&T Pouch.  http://combatsportsupply.com/index.aspx.  This pouch fits perfectly on the PALS webbing on the dorsal side of the LBT pack, and compensates for the pack's complete lack of internal organization.  The pouch is made well enough to last a long time as long as you don't stuff it with fishing weights.  Do shop around for price and color/camo pattern.  I have these mounted on a number of my packs.  with a shoulder strao, can also serve as an over-the-shoulder pouch.
View Quote
Yeah, I ended up getting their frame insert and the medium modular insert. It's got velcro on one side, MOLLE on the other. Grabbed a couple of LBTs velcro backed vinyl window pouches they had on sale to attach to the modular insert.

ETA: Had to google the Condor pouch you mentioned. Looks neat. Any possibility there's a similar pouch made in USA? Not a fan of Condor and I'm especially not a fan of supporting Chinese/overseas manufacturing if I can help it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA: Had to google the Condor pouch you mentioned. Looks neat. Any possibility there's a similar pouch made in USA? Not a fan of Condor and I'm especially not a fan of supporting Chinese/overseas manufacturing if I can help it.
View Quote
Check out the Kifaru Organizer, it can also attach to PALS webbing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
After doing some searching, there are some domestically-made external organizer pouches, like the one mentioned above, available.  Design, prices, and colors/camo pattern vary with mfr, of course.  Take a look around, and see what suits you.  For the LBT pack which both you and I have, the Condor has suited me well; YMMV.  OTOH, having some sort of external organizer pouch adds greatly to the LBT pack's utility.  I add a Condor T&T pouch, or a Condor Sidekick pouch (smaller version of the T&T) to any pack which lacks an external pouch with built-in organization.

Some features of the Condor pouches which I have come to appreciate are the adjustable drawstring which allows the pouch to be opened to 90 deg or less, as the user chooses, thus allowing easy access to all contents.  Another feature is the Velcro tabs on the sides, which, if the zipper should ever fail, will secure the pouch in a closed position.  It is a bit of a fetish of mine to rig zipper back-ups; I've had zippers fail at the most inopportune times (Condors have not failed as of this writing), and having a backup is now important to me.   The included clear plastic map pouch (T&T only) is a nice touch.

This sort of pouch is often discussed at edcforums.com.  Might have to register to do some searching.

Here's a YouTube vid of what can be placed inside a T&T pouch: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=YouTube+Condor+T+Pouch+T&&view=detail&mid=9822E7B0DF6AFD2388A59822E7B0DF6AFD2388A5&FORM=VRDGAR
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out the Kifaru Organizer, it can also attach to PALS webbing.
After doing some searching, there are some domestically-made external organizer pouches, like the one mentioned above, available.  Design, prices, and colors/camo pattern vary with mfr, of course.  Take a look around, and see what suits you.  For the LBT pack which both you and I have, the Condor has suited me well; YMMV.  OTOH, having some sort of external organizer pouch adds greatly to the LBT pack's utility.  I add a Condor T&T pouch, or a Condor Sidekick pouch (smaller version of the T&T) to any pack which lacks an external pouch with built-in organization.

Some features of the Condor pouches which I have come to appreciate are the adjustable drawstring which allows the pouch to be opened to 90 deg or less, as the user chooses, thus allowing easy access to all contents.  Another feature is the Velcro tabs on the sides, which, if the zipper should ever fail, will secure the pouch in a closed position.  It is a bit of a fetish of mine to rig zipper back-ups; I've had zippers fail at the most inopportune times (Condors have not failed as of this writing), and having a backup is now important to me.   The included clear plastic map pouch (T&T only) is a nice touch.

This sort of pouch is often discussed at edcforums.com.  Might have to register to do some searching.

Here's a YouTube vid of what can be placed inside a T&T pouch: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=YouTube+Condor+T+Pouch+T&&view=detail&mid=9822E7B0DF6AFD2388A59822E7B0DF6AFD2388A5&FORM=VRDGAR
Thanks for the info raf. I'll look around and see what's out there. That Kifaru pouch Badaim mentioned doesn't seem like a bad pouch, comes in a couple camo patterns that would mesh well with Woodland too. Looks like non-standard mounting though, I'm guessing it's adaptable to PALS but it doesn't seem like it's set up for it out of the box.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info raf. I'll look around and see what's out there. That Kifaru pouch Badaim mentioned doesn't seem like a bad pouch, comes in a couple camo patterns that would mesh well with Woodland too. Looks like non-standard mounting though, I'm guessing it's adaptable to PALS but it doesn't seem like it's set up for it out of the box.
View Quote
The 500d organizer uses their "Lock and Dock" system which secures to PALS quite well...check out a couple of the videos on youtube in regards to the system! But if you prefer the traditional PALS style, their 1000d organizer uses MALICE clips-- but it only appears to come in Multicam or CB.

I have the same Condor pouch that raf described above and it's a great pouch that will be durable enough for everyday use. I took mine off, as I just preferred the more streamlined appearance.

Also, check out the Mega Admin Pouch from Zulu Nylon. It's a beast and made in USA!
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The 500d organizer uses their "Lock and Dock" system which secures to PALS quite well...check out a couple of the videos on youtube in regards to the system! But if you prefer the traditional PALS style, their 1000d organizer uses MALICE clips-- but it only appears to come in Multicam or CB.

I have the same Condor pouch that raf described above and it's a great pouch that will be durable enough for everyday use. I took mine off, as I just preferred the more streamlined appearance.

Also, check out the Mega Admin Pouch from Zulu Nylon. It's a beast and made in USA!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, ok. Watched a video. I get it now.

That Zulu pouch looks badass. Definitely on the pricey side though, especially since it doesn't include any mounting hardware.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
So I got the pack a few days ago and have messed around with it a bit. Ho lee shit. The strap adjustment goes from "Fat" to "Jumbo Jet".

I think I got the pack straps adjusted ok, that's not really a problem. The waist belt on the other hand does NOT fit snugly at all. I even adjusted the pack straps down a bit to lower the waist belt over the largest part of my hips and it still isn't snug. Did everything I could to tighten it. If I could just get it tightened another 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch it would be ok...

Any tips on making this thing fit better on someone who isn't obese?

For reference, I've got a ~34" waist.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Two necessities:  The HDPE frame sheet/foam insert, and the Condor T&T Pouch.  https://www.condoroutdoor.com/ma54tandtpouch.aspx.  This pouch fits perfectly on the PALS webbing on the dorsal side of the LBT pack, and compensates for the pack's complete lack of internal organization.  The pouch is made well enough to last a long time as long as you don't stuff it with fishing weights.  DO shop around for price and color/camo pattern.  I have these mounted on a number of my packs.  with a shoulder strap, can also serve as an over-the-shoulder pouch.
View Quote
Whenever I see someone recommend Condor products, I really have to stop and wonder what is going on.

Condor makes garbage, there are no 2 ways about it.

Before I knew what to expect from them, I bought some mag shingles from a LGS back in 2009.

I never used them, and this is what happened to the elastic cord retention for the mags:

They were not subject to direct sunlight exposure or storage in a vehicle.

They just degraded in a gym bag of gear I have.

I'm not sure I would even want my enemy wearing Condor gear, because I at least want them to make it to within effective range so I can blast them.  With Condor, they would barely make it out of their assembly area before stitching takes a dump and spills their mags all over.

If you look at the Condor brand gear, made with that terrible Chidura tainted with Yalu River urea yellow, try pulling lightly on their bartacs and see what happens.

Stitches will rip right out on the MORRE webbing.

Zipper pulls come off when you look at them, inner linings on their Eagle knock-off drag bags rip out, binding tape comes off and frays, snaps lose their backings and pop out, webbing raw edges burst forth from the edges that were supposed to be sealed and bound, the list is long and at every turn, you have examples of how not to build sewn gear.

Link Posted: 12/7/2017 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top