Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2017 1:16:20 PM EDT
I post this at great risk to my reputation as a non-operator, civilian-type guy who likes to shoot and train...My name is Brian and I have purchased an "airsoft" plate carrier.  
Sorry, this may jump around a bit.

The Pantac XPC cost me $89 shipped.  It is constructed of 1000D Cordura with ITW buckles and branded Cordura, Velcro and Teflon tags throughout.  It is however, constructed overseas.  It comes with shoulder pads and built in pontoons (front and back) with removable pads.  I have removed the ones in the front as they were uncomfortable for me.  From the pic in the link, you can see the 3x6 grid of MOLLE on the lower front with velcro and MOLLE on the top of the front.  There is also a kangaroo pouch on the front.  The back is full MOLLE webbing with velcro on the top.  The front and back are connected with a 1.5" strap that ties to vertical webbing using a bungee under the back panel.  The front buckles attach under the Kangaroo pouch with velcro similar to a traditional cummerbund.  There is actually a skeletonized cummerbund available or I'm sure you could use any of the available cummerbunds from other manufacturers.  My 10x12 AR500 plates with GI sleep mat padding fit perfectly in the plate pockets on the medium size carrier.  I'm not a seamstress but the stitching looks solid.  It is double and triple stitched at certain locations and the thread melts like nylon (not burns like cotton).

The only flaws in stitching that I can find are one of the MOLLE columns are slightly narrower than the others but my MALICE clips still fit without issue.  Also, the rectangular stitch pattern at the top of the front plate pocket is not quite straight.  I'm not sure why that stitching is there.  It looks to be the size of a flag patch and maybe should have had velcro sewn in that rectangle but none of the pics or videos online show any velcro in that spot.  There were no loose threads or stitching that I could find.  I am however, curious about the stated 1000D Cordura.  It looks and feels more like 500D.  It definitely feels like a lighter weight material than my Woosatch.

All-in-all, I am very happy with the XPC but still have that lingering feeling.  What am I missing?  Why is it so cheap and when is it going to fall apart?  

As mentioned in a previous post,  my original intent was to find a minimalist plate carrier to have as a backup or compliment to my dated but still in service HSGI Woosatch.  After almost a decade of use and countless mods, I have my Woosatch down to nothing more than AR500 plates and 3 rifle tacos.  I've had to sew up portions of the plate pockets to get the plates at the correct height.  I've added 1" buckles and straps to make it easier to put on and take off and on several occasions have almost cut the cummerbund portion off.  Currently, I tuck it behind the front plate pocket to get it out of the way.  It has always felt comfortable to me so I wasn't really looking to replace it.  That has all changed.  The XPC is way more comfortable and I have now decided to turn my Woosatch back into a chest rig and start using the XPC as my primary plate carrier.  I think the Woosatch is a great piece of gear but serves better as a chest rig than plate carrier.

My OCD has now lead me to start looking for a "quality" carrier to be ready to replace the XPC if/when it falls apart.  The ATS Aegis V1 seems to be the closest thing to the XPC.  Any thoughts on the Aegis?  
My other option would be to get a LBT 6094 or something similar and replace the cummerbund but that seems a little strange given the cummerbund is one of the major features of the 6094...seems like a waste to get a nice full-on carrier and tear it apart.

Thanks for listening...carry on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
LBT 6094 is on sale right now.

It's something body armor is going to go in; don't try to save 50$ or whatever.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
My experience with cheap gears has not been good. I have a Condor battle belt that required a lot of modification to even be usuable. The biggest problem with cheap gears is the stitching, shitty as fuck. Even good gear like my Safariland soft body armor vest has both shoulder straps stitching came undone after 10 months of daily  wear. The Molle attachments on cheap gears may also be out of spec, spacing too close together causing your kits flopping around.

The best rig I own is a First Spear LE Active Shooter Kit w/level 4 plates. Went to a few courses and running around with it about a year, still solid.

Try Grey Ghost Mininalist Plate Carrier.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]
GGG is currently running a 50% off sale, with their minimalist PC running at about $56.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I think for the average guy those affordable brands are sufficient. It's not like you're hunting terrorist everyday or humping up mountains in Afghanistan. Plus most of us started somewhere. Take Condor for example, they were very crappy when they first came about but now they are a lot better and even some police officers use them when it's a good bang for your buck and have to replace a lot of gear.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
"Airsoft" gear has come a long way over the years.  Hell there's major real gear companies that run airsoft lines.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I used a Pantac MAP (Modular Assault Pack) clone for dismounted patrols in Afghanistan. It carried 2-3 60mm Mortar rounds (~4lbs a piece), 2 bottles of water, hydration bladder, some snacks and and M18 smoke. It could be Molle woven on or carried like a backpack with 2" nylon webbing straps, no padding. I used it as a backpack with the straps so I could take it off and when attached it made my PC ride weird. Held up phenomenally.

I'm not a fan of Condor stuff but every on post PX sells it so, a lot of Joes run it with and without fail.

Bottom line, use what works for you and theres no substitute for training. Beat on it a little bit and see if it holds up.

Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used a Pantac MAP (Modular Assault Pack) clone for dismounted patrols in Afghanistan. It carried 2-3 60mm Mortar rounds (~4lbs a piece), 2 bottles of water, hydration bladder, some snacks and and M18 smoke. It could be Molle woven on or carried like a backpack with 2" nylon webbing straps, no padding. I used it as a backpack with the straps so I could take it off and when attached it made my PC ride weird. Held up phenomenally.

I'm not a fan of Condor stuff but every on post PX sells it so, a lot of Joes run it with and without fail.

Bottom line, use what works for you and theres no substitute for training. Beat on it a little bit and see if it holds up.

http://i65.tinypic.com/16pa1u.jpg
View Quote
One of my concern is that a lot of the replica/knock-off gear doesn't use NiR compliant materials and they do make you stand out under IR conditions. I usually tell the joes that during training using some gear like this is okay but be mindful on real field-trips as they stuck out under NVG's during multiple FTX's. The enemy in the sandbox has had sophisticated NOD's for a few years now collecting them off of dead coalition troops, stolen from armories or even smuggled into the country. Hell, some of these guys are running PVS-4's which are more than enough to be a threat for us at night out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top