Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2017 1:05:22 AM EDT
I am a member of a ground search a rescue team.  I am also a local LEO.

I am looking to put together a belt/system to carry gear while in the field conducting searches.

First, during these search and rescue ground operations, we are expected to conceal carry.

As such, I am planning on carrying in a concealed carry pouch attached to the belt.  Later, I would like to be able to remove the pouch and attach a duty type holster for practice training.

As such, I have considered multiple belts by Tyr, HSGI, ATS, Volund, Snake Eater Tactical, AWS, First Spear etc...

I am leaning towards the Crye Precision MRB and replacing with a stronger riggers belt.  Thoughts?

Also considering the Tyr MAB because it is very similar to the Crye MRB but is slightly longer in size and requires ordering a belt for it.  Thoughts?

I plan on placing the following items on the belt:  spare magazines in covered pouches, general pouch or two, flashlight, multi-tool, IFAK/Blowout kit and that is about it.

Rest of the gear will be either in a small pack with a hydration bladder etc.

what advice and guidance can those that have been there done that give??

Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Suspenders help distribute weight and keep the belt where you want it when you are moving, and despite different clothing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Esstac with their clips or the ronin.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the guys are only using a hydration bladder...maybe a thing or two attached to it via molle/pals

They discovered heavy packs was slowing things down and getting access is a pain.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
By ESSTAC, do you mean their shooters belt?

Why this type of belt as opposed to a molle sleeve style belt?

Sorry for the questions, I do not intend to buy more than one of these until it wears out!  I don't want to have the experience of buying several till I find something I like.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, that sounds like a job for a riggers belt and paddle attached accessories. Nothing else is going to allow concealed carry that operates as a quasi duty or war belt. Duty belts are too wide, war belts are too thick, G-hook belts are too difficult with a lot of gear.

The only way to effectively carry concealed and be mobile is an in the pants behind the hip carry. Appendix is not a good choice for search and rescue where you might need to have a rap harness. Even a riggers belt is often thick for a  Crossbreed or similar holster and pushes the limits. Swapping stuff around can be a nightmare without paddles or TecLok. Even then you will need to adjust for IWB vs not. I use a 5.11 Maverick Assaulter belt which I use for carrying duty holster on paddle, mag holder on paddle, radio, flaslight, cuff case, etc. daily. It threads through belt loops since it has a small male side on the Austri Alpin buckle. It has an ergonomic shape and not too hard to adjust. It's not really a full warbelt, but it is an ideal pants belt to add stuff onto that is clip loop, TekLok, or paddle attached and is not a double belt like a Sam Browne, needs no keepers, etc.

I have a QLS on my gun paddle to change gun holsters, plus a fork on a DFA attached to a single leg strap 6001 leg plate so I can remove the gun from paddle, clip the drop on the paddle, then the holster on the leg drop. So it's attached by paddle on belt and 1 leg strap. Before I got a dedicated warbelt, that was how I rolled... everthing on Safariland paddles that I could, with a couple belt clips and TekLok here and there. I been wearing same belt for two and a half years, 5-6 days a week, 10 hours a day.

G-hook too fiddly to adjust when you need to hit the head on occasion, but the loops are spaced out so you can maybe get an IWB and OWB sizing without adjustment. The velcro tail is always in the way of something if I use G-hook for something other than concealed and have stuff mounted I have 2 Volund G-hook belts, 1.5" and 1.25" sizes. I hardly ever wear em and they don't look professional enough to daily wear for work, IMO.

The disadvantage to such a set up is the 2-3 minutes it takes to gear up the belt and the fact that paddles or TekLok in the wrong spot can hurt your hip bones. You also might have stuff move around when you unbuckle for whatever reason. Also all your stuff has zero retention and can be pulled out by a perp. Like I said... not a duty belt or warbelt replacement, but more of a compromise heavy duty concealed nonconcealed set up you can use like you describe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
How much stuff/ med gear are you carrying?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly, that sounds like a job for a riggers belt and paddle attached accessories. Nothing else is going to allow concealed carry that operates as a quasi duty or war belt. Duty belts are too wide, war belts are too thick, G-hook belts are too difficult with a lot of gear.

The only way to effectively carry concealed and be mobile is an in the pants behind the hip carry. Appendix is not a good choice for search and rescue where you might need to have a rap harness. Even a riggers belt is often thick for a  Crossbreed or similar holster and pushes the limits. Swapping stuff around can be a nightmare without paddles or TecLok. Even then you will need to adjust for IWB vs not. I use a 5.11 Maverick Assaulter belt which I use for carrying duty holster on paddle, mag holder on paddle, radio, flaslight, cuff case, etc. daily. It threads through belt loops since it has a small male side on the Austri Alpin buckle. It has an ergonomic shape and not too hard to adjust. It's not really a full warbelt, but it is an ideal pants belt to add stuff onto that is clip loop, TekLok, or paddle attached and is not a double belt like a Sam Browne, needs no keepers, etc.
View Quote
Hey DevL...I sent you a couple of IMs and en email...

The pouch I am considering using for the concealment is https://www.maxpedition.com/collections/ccw-concealed-carry/products/jk-2-concealed-carry-pouch-medium-closeout?variant=35002452497

It is not the most ideal but it is within guard policy....I prefer to keep the gun on the same side so I can keep all my current training skills....weapon retention, draw from concealment etc....I always use a paddle or belt slide off duty...figured attaching the pouch makes it concealed...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How much stuff/ med gear are you carrying?
View Quote
The med stuff will be basically a IFAK, then a blowout style kit and an extra tourniquet or two.  No reason not to have a spare one or two just in case.

Other than that, personal items...spare socks in water proof bag, some energy snacks, hydration bladder, admin pouch with some usuals (pen, memo pad, map etc), a couple of extra mags for the pistol, chemlights, rain poncho...

That is all that comes to mind right at this moment but my list is not here in front of me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I would just carry my CCW normally and size the belt accordingly.

So basically this belt is for really basic water com, tq type set up?

Me personally? I'd rather just have a smallish camel back with a pouch for ifak, radio, etc.

If you're chasing escaped prisoners and they're dangerous than more mags than your EDC aren't really going to be needed. I don't think a war belt is really needed and may just encourage you to load yourself down needlessly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would just carry my CCW normally and size the belt accordingly.

So basically this belt is for really basic water com, tq type set up?

Me personally? I'd rather just have a smallish camel back with a pouch for ifak, radio, etc.

If you're chasing escaped prisoners and they're dangerous than more mags than your EDC aren't really going to be needed. I don't think a war belt is really needed and may just encourage you to load yourself down needlessly.
View Quote
I sent a PM with some more details.

I am considering putting some of the smaller pouches on the camelbak.  But some of the more important stuff I might want immediate access, I do plan to put them up front either on a chest rig or on the belt.  I don't want to have to remove a pack or the camelbak to get to stuff I will be using.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Both my hunting and training set ups are similar.

My hunting belt has less ammo, no dump pouch. For you it would be easy to add a radio pouch. I think you'd be pretty set with that

If you can imagine removing a pistol mag, both rifle mags and the dump pouch and replace with a canteen pouch at 7oclock and an old side plate pouch at 12oclock for toilet paper.

I have a few flashbang pouches for magazines  for my bolt action.

My hunting belt has less med gear too. Just a couple tqs, dressings,  and Band-Aids. I keep my binoculars in a saw pouch as well.

While I really like my hsgi warbelt. It's not really that much more comfortable than this
$50 USMC warbelt

I actually wear the USMC belt for much longer stretches while pushing through really thick vegetation and have no complaints. I'll dig it out over the next couple days to give you a better idea.
Attachment Attached File

I guess that picture is hard to see the belt.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]
O3RN,

That 3-gun stuff looks fun.  Might have to find some local matches just for fun and some trigger time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Suspenders help distribute weight and keep the belt where you want it when you are moving, and despite different clothing.
View Quote
For that amount of stuff, and that sort of activity, I second the use of suspenders.

Personally, I use M1967 suspenders with an ALICE belt for such a setup.  Cheap, but effective, and I am able to integrate my Camelbak into it.  There are, of course, more modern setups.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]

You need a Unity Tactical CLUTCH belt.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the input!!

Being able to get it all before start of mission is also a consideration!

I have been talking to T3 and they have been very helpful.  They also provide a discount to LEO/Military personnel.  I have nothing but high praise for them.  If the limited gear review information I have read holds true, the equipment will definitely work for me.

Stay tuned for pics and details after I get gear in hand.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:30:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Loving my ronin tactical belt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dude, I need to do some comps while I'm here...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1497639122524767723728-232013.JPG
http://i65.tinypic.com/2vwtj7o.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzpaWIaJrKA

Both my hunting and training set ups are similar.

My hunting belt has less ammo, no dump pouch. For you it would be easy to add a radio pouch. I think you'd be pretty set with that

If you can imagine removing a pistol mag, both rifle mags and the dump pouch and replace with a canteen pouch at 7oclock and an old side plate pouch at 12oclock for toilet paper.

I have a few flashbang pouches for magazines  for my bolt action.

My hunting belt has less med gear too. Just a couple tqs, dressings,  and Band-Aids. I keep my binoculars in a saw pouch as well.

While I really like my hsgi warbelt. It's not really that much more comfortable than this
$50 USMC warbelt

I actually wear the USMC belt for much longer stretches while pushing through really thick vegetation and have no complaints. I'll dig it out over the next couple days to give you a better idea.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0005-331785.JPG

I guess that picture is hard to see the belt.
Dude, I need to do some comps while I'm here...
There's a uspsa in Charleston tomorrow that I can't make. In NH this weekend.

With hunting trips and work I think the next comp I can do is Nov 19
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Worth a look for your application

AttackPak
https://youtu.be/v_LK2VTXk1A
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top