Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2017 8:00:12 PM EDT
Was trying to get this mounted on the rail on my Airframe, and while I can get it all together and get it to hold both a regular and admin light, I seem to be having a problem with having the rail adapter piece move.

The first step on the installation is to simply slide the adapter into the rail. When I do this, it firmly slides in and I can feel a slight click each time it passes over one of the vertical slots in the rail. The problem is, I can't seem to figure out (or if its even supposed to) actually lock into one of these slots to stay put. Once the KNUCKL unit is together, I can basically slide the unit back and forth very easily on the rail as it gets just barely any friction on the slots and from the rail; this would make it super easy to slide forward and out of the rail.

Is there a trick to locking this down? Is it somehow supposed to be like this? What am I missing? Tried calling Unity twice so far and no reply.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Heat tab and bend inward.

I had same issue. Unity said basically their kit is perfect and impossible for that to be an issue and must be my ARC rail. I told em no, because 3M fit perfect. I just mentioned it so they could look for it because a little heat gun and bend made it perfect, but slightly deformed/chalky looking on the tab. Unity will probably offer to swap but a heat gun and bend tab in will fix it like it should have been. Mine NEVER moves and is robust as the 3M now. Hard clicks and no accidental or unwanted movement.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about the tab that goes into/over the square indentations on top of the rail or the tab thats sticking out horizontally in the front of the adapter?

For a quick fix I dummy corded it through the hole for the Wilcox piece onto my helmet cover so that it would be impossible for it to move, yet I can still articulate the light mount portion. It's kind of obnoxious that I had to do this as well as leave 2 voicemails that have never been returned and 1 single email basically telling me that they've never heard of this problem before.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#3]
1. I shimmed the bottom of the mount with painters tape to take out slop. One layer cut to perfectly match the side that faces in toward your head. This creates friction.

2. I bent the arm that sticks out to the top and goes into the square indents, toward your head on the arc rail. Bend in toward helmet, just a tad. This increases the lock up.

That made it super secure. It takes a great deal of pressure to move it from one position to the next now.

They said the same thing to me. That they never heard of such before.

It does work perfectly once you tweak it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#4]
OP had one job.

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine wont lock in one position, the slightest bump shifts the camera up or down.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine wont lock in one position, the slightest bump shifts the camera up or down.
View Quote
Yeah its fucking annoying.

Such an awesome idea and a pretty slick design, but the actual execution of it fucking sucks.

The way they have the 'ball axis' is sloppy and loose as fuck regardless of how tight you torque the screw. Then the actual mount you put the accessory rails, attached to the 'ball axis' on doesn't fucking stay put.

So basically you have a unit that easily moves around on all axis' from walking around, attached to your helmet rail with an attachment point that moves back and forth.

Not impressed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah its fucking annoying.

Such an awesome idea and a pretty slick design, but the actual execution of it fucking sucks.

The way they have the 'ball axis' is sloppy and loose as fuck regardless of how tight you torque the screw. Then the actual mount you put the accessory rails, attached to the 'ball axis' on doesn't fucking stay put.

So basically you have a unit that easily moves around on all axis' from walking around, attached to your helmet rail with an attachment point that moves back and forth.

Not impressed.
View Quote
The ball is only plastic so it likes to pop right off once your helmet starts getting banged around a vehicle or something.  I need to find a better solution.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The ball is only plastic so it likes to pop right off once your helmet starts getting banged around a vehicle or something.  I need to find a better solution.
View Quote
Yep, its a feature. Why? I don't know.

Ironically, if you flip the main body over and put it over the ball, you get a tactile click and it stays in place but you end up losing any axis other than clockwise/counterclockwise. Problem is the arms for the attachment rails are bent the opposite way so you couldn't make it work like that.

I 550 dummy corded the rail mount piece to my helmet cover so it can't go anywhere, but the ball moving/possibly disconnecting itself is yet another issue.

Still can't believe the design flaws in this thing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Never had mine pop off. The camera stays put pretty much, just needs a fresh point up and out when helmet goes on, then holds OK. I have lots of tension on the ball. Biggest problem is the damn cameras sold by Contour suck in low light and are essentially worthless for inside homes, at night, etc. so it never gets used.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never had mine pop off. The camera stays put pretty much, just needs a fresh point up and out when helmet goes on, then holds OK. I have lots of tension on the ball. Biggest problem is the damn cameras sold by Contour suck in low light and are essentially worthless for inside homes, at night, etc. so it never gets used.
View Quote
Mine hasn't popped off but its moved/rotated/bounced around while just walking around in the desert with it.

I have the Peltor rail attachment so needed something to buy me real estate for a light. Problem is the weight from the light (or anything that adds weight at all) basically makes it move and bounce around more. I have no idea why they didn't design it so that you could torque it down to make it not move at all unless you wanted it to.

Great idea. Horrible execution.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:50:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I need another solution.  Had my camera attached with velcro to the side of my helmet last deployment, may have to go back to that.  The Unity mount simply will not realistically take the abuse of everyday combat usage.  Im always banging my helmet into shit or having it tossed all over vehicles and stuff.  The mount has separated completely several times, and constantly needs to be readjusted.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got mine in. No joy with the TW helmet and muff adapters
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello all,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with KNUCKL, we have many users that are very happy with it. And of course we always welcome feedback and will ensure we do everything in our power to take care of the customer.

I will attempt to answer some of the questions I see in the thread. If you have any more, please ask.

And at the end of the day, if anyone is unhappy with their purchase, use the contact form on our site, reference this thread, and we will provide store credit for a return (Even if the KNUCKL is used).

1. Whisky1Alpha - This does depend slightly on the rail that is being utilized. There are a lot of rails that "look" like ARC rails, but in fact are not the same dimensions. It sounds like you have a genuine Airframe so that shouldn't be an issue. We are looking at modifying the mold to use a self adjusting dovetail to help compatibility across all helmet rails. I am also sorry you have not received a call back if you left a message. I will look into that.

2. DevL - I am not sure which one of our employees would have said that our kit is "Perfect". While we are striving to have the best product we can possibly make, we are not perfect. The answer you were given is likely a result of the large number of calls we get from customers that believe they have a genuine ARC rail, which turns out to not be the case (In some cases we have had to request pictures or even the actual helmet setup). I am glad you found a modification that works for you. We will continue to look for a permanent solution to improved compatibility across all rails.

3. daemon734 - I assume you mean that the ball joint. Its hard to quantify how tight you have the adjustment screw. But we have tested it to allow the mount to remain in position through movement, but still allow articulation by hand. We also started to include a small velcro dot to attach to the contour for those users that need more holding power. We have looked at some options to increase the friction of the ball joint and those may be implemented at some point. The easiest solution is to tighten the ball joint slightly more. If that still isnt working for you, we would like to get the unit back and take a look. In some cases its difficult to troubleshoot over the phone or email.

4. W1A - The break-away feature was requested feature in the event it snags something that would end up potentially injuring the users neck.

5. GripnAK47s - I will get this added to the website to ensure customers are aware of this prior to purchasing. I thought it was on there, but I just checked and (obviously) its not. We would be happy to return it if it will not work for you.

The web contact form is probably the best way to get in touch with us. Most emails are answered within 24 hours and many within just a few. Our customers come first, we will work with you to make sure you are taken care of.

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hello all,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with KNUCKL, we have many users that are very happy with it. And of course we always welcome feedback and will ensure we do everything in our power to take care of the customer.

I will attempt to answer some of the questions I see in the thread. If you have any more, please ask.

And at the end of the day, if anyone is unhappy with their purchase, use the contact form on our site, reference this thread, and we will provide store credit for a return (Even if the KNUCKL is used).

1. Whisky1Alpha - This does depend slightly on the rail that is being utilized. There are a lot of rails that "look" like ARC rails, but in fact are not the same dimensions. It sounds like you have a genuine Airframe so that shouldn't be an issue. We are looking at modifying the mold to use a self adjusting dovetail to help compatibility across all helmet rails. I am also sorry you have not received a call back if you left a message. I will look into that.

2. DevL - I am not sure which one of our employees would have said that our kit is "Perfect". While we are striving to have the best product we can possibly make, we are not perfect. The answer you were given is likely a result of the large number of calls we get from customers that believe they have a genuine ARC rail, which turns out to not be the case (In some cases we have had to request pictures or even the actual helmet setup). I am glad you found a modification that works for you. We will continue to look for a permanent solution to improved compatibility across all rails.

3. daemon734 - I assume you mean that the ball joint. Its hard to quantify how tight you have the adjustment screw. But we have tested it to allow the mount to remain in position through movement, but still allow articulation by hand. We also started to include a small velcro dot to attach to the contour for those users that need more holding power. We have looked at some options to increase the friction of the ball joint and those may be implemented at some point. The easiest solution is to tighten the ball joint slightly more. If that still isnt working for you, we would like to get the unit back and take a look. In some cases its difficult to troubleshoot over the phone or email.

4. W1A - The break-away feature was requested feature in the event it snags something that would end up potentially injuring the users neck.

5. GripnAK47s - I will get this added to the website to ensure customers are aware of this prior to purchasing. I thought it was on there, but I just checked and (obviously) its not. We would be happy to return it if it will not work for you.

The web contact form is probably the best way to get in touch with us. Most emails are answered within 24 hours and many within just a few. Our customers come first, we will work with you to make sure you are taken care of.

Thank you
View Quote
Thank you for your reply.

-  The ball joint is simply unable to be locked.  I wear mine on my work helmet for combat training/deployments, and its constantly getting banged around.  If moderate pressure is all it takes to shift the camera up and down it's still a no-go for me.

- The ball joint has also popped out of the socket several times on me and I do not carry tiny allen wrenches on me to reseat it on the fly.  It has come out hitting it slightly coming in and out of a turret and a few times just setting it on the floor of a vehicle and rolling around a little.  Not exactly hard impacts.

I simply do not think that this product is durable enough for combat use, which is unfortunate as I would very much like it to be.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#15]
If possible, I would like to get yours swapped out for a new one and get yours back for inspection.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hello all,

Thank you
View Quote
Not sure why, but didn't see your reply until just now.

I'd like to get one where it actually locks into the rail like it is supposed to. I have a real Crye Airframe and the unit simply slides around in the rail on the adapter. Was out and running with the helmet on, stopped, turned my head quickly and the whole thing was dangling by its dummy cord.

Again, great idea, but so far its execution is very lackluster for me.

No one has emailed or called me back from the emails/voicemails I've left prior to making this thread. Is there a way you can IM me and we can handle this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If possible, I would like to get yours swapped out for a new one and get yours back for inspection.
View Quote
@goteron, I just saw this, but I deployed a couple days after posting in this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top