Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2017 5:34:37 PM EDT
Hey all,

The time has come fore me to buy a personal use ballistic helmet since I am going to be buying Night Vision. I was thinking about the Ops Core Fast Ballistic or possible Team Wendy but it looks like 3M makes a helmet now that is just like the Ops Core but cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any other options I should look at besides those named ones? I'm willing to drop the money on the OPS core but just trying to see what I gain by paying more for that over another.

My current experience is mainly with the ACH that has been issued to me by Uncle Sam and honestly it sucks. It wont work with my MSA Sordin's and is uncomfortable when using it for long periods of time. I usually find myself not even using the chin strap which is a bad habit.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Fuck team wendy..... google team wendy and Hillary that should be all you need.

2. I have a fast ballistic. Its fantastic. I would recommend upgrading to the 4d pads though no matter what you get.  I cant comment on the 3M as I haven't used it. There ultra lightweight one is about a half a pound lighter on shell weight IIRC vs a fast XP

MTEK is another company that has one that seems to get good reviews but again I haven't used one.

That being said if youre not going to be on a two way range just get a bump helmet youll be much happier.

Theres a big thread in the night vision sub forum on helmets FYI that's probably worth a read.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey all,

The time has come fore me to buy a personal use ballistic helmet since I am going to be buying Night Vision. I was thinking about the Ops Core Fast Ballistic or possible Team Wendy but it looks like 3M makes a helmet now that is just like the Ops Core but cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any other options I should look at besides those named ones? I'm willing to drop the money on the OPS core but just trying to see what I gain by paying more for that over another.

My current experience is mainly with the ACH that has been issued to me by Uncle Sam and honestly it sucks. It wont work with my MSA Sordin's and is uncomfortable when using it for long periods of time. I usually find myself not even using the chin strap which is a bad habit.

Any help is appreciated.
View Quote

I recently snagged a set of the EPIC AIR pads from Team Wendy for my ACH. Between that and a CamLoc chinstrap, it is like a whole new helmet. I would damn near forget I was wearing it. No hot spots on the top of my head, raw face where straps rubbed, etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. Fuck team wendy..... google team wendy and Hillary that should be all you need.

2. I have a fast ballistic. Its fantastic. I would recommend upgrading to the 4d pads though no matter what you get.  I cant comment on the 3M as I haven't used it. There ultra lightweight one is about a half a pound lighter on shell weight IIRC vs a fast XP

MTEK is another company that has one that seems to get good reviews but again I haven't used one.

That being said if youre not going to be on a two way range just get a bump helmet youll be much happier.

Theres a big thread in the night vision sub forum on helmets FYI that's probably worth a read.
View Quote
It will be used in an active shooter kit eventually for my civ job so a bump helmet is out of the question. For the Team Wendy issue the owner can support who they want, they make a quality product and I value my safety more someones political views. I keep hearing rave reviews for the OPs core so that may be my choice at the present.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I see adds for CPG Armory ballistic helmets on my Facebook feed all the time.

I don't own one, anyone have any opinions?

I like their politics, someone asked if Antifa gets a discount, and their reply was that they don't sell to terrorist organizations.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I like their politics, someone asked if Antifa gets a discount, and their reply was that they don't sell to terrorist organizations.
View Quote
If you want a helmet made in china with unknown ballistic capabilities then go for it. For that price I'd go ACH.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I've worn the 3m helmets, they are GTG.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I run an ops core at work. The suspension and pad system sucks. I gutted mine and went with TW epic air and chin strap. They are outstanding and offer a lot of stability for using NVG's. Arms unlimited usually has good prices on their lids : https://www.armsunlimited.com/Ops-Core-FAST-Ballistic-IIIA-Helmet-p/opscorefast.htm

I would look hard at the mtek as well. I don't have one but they look promising.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want a helmet made in china with unknown ballistic capabilities then go for it. For that price I'd go ACH.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, avoid the off shore manufactured knock offs at all costs. Ops Core, Crye AirFrame are two excellent & well tested products. Exfil, I'd avoid due to non-standard accessory rails. Yes, I know the drama about their politics, but my AirFrame has a team wendy chinstrap so...? As far as pads, wendy or 4D. Personally, I feel that the high cut MICH designs expose way too much compared to the "modern" high cuts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yea, avoid the off shore manufactured knock offs at all costs. Ops Core, Crye AirFrame are two excellent & well tested products. Exfil, I'd avoid due to non-standard accessory rails. Yes, I know the drama about their politics, but my AirFrame has a team wendy chinstrap so...? As far as pads, wendy or 4D. Personally, I feel that the high cut MICH designs expose way too much compared to the "modern" high cuts.
View Quote
I don't like the look of the airframe and how it overlaps. I know it's stupid to not use something for looks, while I'm a huge crye fan the Airframe doesn't do it for me. I'm torn between the Ops Core and the 3M Ultra light weight currently since the 3M comes with the 4D stock.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey all,

Any help is appreciated.
View Quote

I know you're probably getting something else anyway but I just wanted to point out that your ACH is likely not sized correctly. What size do you wear? I thought I was a medium, so I bought a medium and it squeezed my head and my Sordins just barely fit under it. Got a large and both problems are gone. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know you're probably getting something else anyway but I just wanted to point out that your ACH is likely not sized correctly. What size do you wear? I thought I was a medium, so I bought a medium and it squeezed my head and my Sordins just barely fit under it. Got a large and both problems are gone. 
View Quote
This. My Sordins fit fine under mine. I'll take the coverage if I'm wearing Sordin's anyways.

If you want to spend the coin on something better/sexier, that's a perfectly legitimate decision, but the ACH shouldn't be disregarded outright.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This. My Sordins fit fine under mine. I'll take the coverage if I'm wearing Sordin's anyways.

If you want to spend the coin on something better/sexier, that's a perfectly legitimate decision, but the ACH shouldn't be disregarded outright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously OP, the ACH isn't really a bad helmet. I think it just has a bad rep due largely to improper fitting and the poor issue pads/suspension. The ACH can actually be decent, you just have to know how to set it up. 

Sordins are made to fit under helmets like the ACH, they should fit. I'm betting you're just wearing a size under what you should be.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I recently snagged a set of the EPIC AIR pads from Team Wendy for my ACH. Between that and a CamLoc chinstrap, it is like a whole new helmet. I would damn near forget I was wearing it. No hot spots on the top of my head, raw face where straps rubbed, etc.
View Quote
Seriously. Yeah yeah, "fuck team wendy fuck hillary" and all that, but those guys know how to make a helmet comfy... I will never own another harness but the CamFit. It's like wearing a snug baseball cap.

I personally wear a TBH-II, which is really just a high-cut ACH with all the Ops-Core goodies from the factory. But I had to take out the foam liner and replace it with Epic Air pads. Ops-Core claims you don't need to go a size-up to wear the foam 360 liner, but there was no way I was cramming that helmet on my head with that thing in there no matter how hard I tried.

I find the high-cut ACH much comfier with my Peltors than my old Ops Core FAST. The FAST sat too low and I had to tuck the tops of my ears into my Peltors. The ACH is cut a little bit higher and allows my entire ear to fit comfortable under my ear pro.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wear a large and it already feels loose on my head. bumping it up to an XL will cause it to fit worse than it already does. I have over the head Sordins and the sides don't fit over them at all and causes the helmet to rise up. If it was my personal helmet I would just drill it for rails and do it that way but it is not. That is why I am willing to drop the money on a quality helmet for personal use.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seriously OP, the ACH isn't really a bad helmet. I think it just has a bad rep due largely to improper fitting and the poor issue pads/suspension. The ACH can actually be decent, you just have to know how to set it up. 

Sordins are made to fit under helmets like the ACH, they should fit. I'm betting you're just wearing a size under what you should be.
View Quote
I wear a large and the issue is the muffs contact the sides. How would I be wearing a size under if they won't even clear. If I had a smaller head and wore a medium it would still be the issue.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wear a large and the issue is the muffs contact the sides. How would I be wearing a size under if they won't even clear. If I had a smaller head and wore a medium it would still be the issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're talking about the Sordins rubbing in the inside of the "ears" of the ACH right? That issue is caused by the helmet being too small. I had the same problem, went up a size, problem gone. When you go up a size there's more room for the Sordins to clear. 

Yes, I saw your other post about wearing a Large and it being too loose. It's entirely possible you just have a head shape that doesn't lend itself to the contours of the ACH. Not denying that, it happnes, everyone is different. But have you tried playing around with pad placement? This can sometimes make the difference for people between a poorly fitting helmet and a decently fitting one. Doesn't do much for me but my head is pretty concentric. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're talking about the Sordins rubbing in the inside of the "ears" of the ACH right? That issue is caused by the helmet being too small. I had the same problem, went up a size, problem gone. When you go up a size there's more room for the Sordins to clear. 

Yes, I saw your other post about wearing a Large and it being too loose. It's entirely possible you just have a head shape that doesn't lend itself to the contours of the ACH. Not denying that, it happnes, everyone is different. But have you tried playing around with pad placement? This can sometimes make the difference for people between a poorly fitting helmet and a decently fitting one. Doesn't do much for me but my head is pretty concentric. 
View Quote
When I tried it this afternoon the helmet sat on the sordins on the kick outs and it wouldn't go any lower. Going back to the discussion I don't like the ACH and am willing to buy a higher quality helmet to run so the ACH is out of the question.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Seriously. Yeah yeah, "fuck team wendy fuck hillary" and all that, but those guys know how to make a helmet comfy... I will never own another harness but the CamFit. It's like wearing a snug baseball cap.

I personally wear a TBH-II, which is really just a high-cut ACH with all the Ops-Core goodies from the factory. But I had to take out the foam liner and replace it with Epic Air pads. Ops-Core claims you don't need to go a size-up to wear the foam 360 liner, but there was no way I was cramming that helmet on my head with that thing in there no matter how hard I tried.

I find the high-cut ACH much comfier with my Peltors than my old Ops Core FAST. The FAST sat too low and I had to tuck the tops of my ears into my Peltors. The ACH is cut a little bit higher and allows my entire ear to fit comfortable under my ear pro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, I was wondering if was just because it was a knockoff I tried but I had the same issue. Tried on a knockoff OpsCore (helmet made here, pads/suspension/rails made overseas, you know the drill) and it hits the tops of my Sordins enough to try pushing them down. Pretty uncomfortable. I'm guessing that's why the Maritime cut version of the OpsCore is so popular, just enough extra clearance to not have that issue. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When I tried it this afternoon the helmet sat on the sordins on the kick outs and it wouldn't go any lower. Going back to the discussion I don't like the ACH and am willing to buy a higher quality helmet to run so the ACH is out of the question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're dead set on this I'd recommend getting the Maritime version of the OpsCore or risk facing the issue me and the other guy I quoted just above ran into. 

Can't help you on any of the other helmet systems, haven't tried them myself. Don't know if any of them may have that problem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you're dead set on this I'd recommend getting the Maritime version of the OpsCore or risk facing the issue me and the other guy I quoted just above ran into. 

Can't help you on any of the other helmet systems, haven't tried them myself. Don't know if any of them may have that problem.
View Quote
Reason for the other helmets is because I plan to just mount each earpiece to the helmet itself instead of wearing them making it easier to wear with a helmet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I own a CPG helmet and knowing what I know now would not.trust it and don't plan on ever using it again.  I got it cheap but buyer beware.  Might also look at Gentex on TNVC site.

Contingency Procurement Group Level IIIA helmet
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#22]
The 3m ultralight is by far the most comfortable one I've worn. It's well below the average price of it's competitors too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It will be used in an active shooter kit eventually for my civ job so a bump helmet is out of the question. For the Team Wendy issue the owner can support who they want, they make a quality product and I value my safety more someones political views. I keep hearing rave reviews for the OPs core so that may be my choice at the present.
View Quote
I was going to write a post but not now. Fucking support traitors?  How does that make you any different.

I'm sorry butcwithvthe direction people like that want to take the country makes them my enemy. That's how they look at us.

Not to mention there are other options that are just as good if not better and don't have that retarded rail.

And you want to suppprt them?  Yeah. COC is all I have for you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was going to write a post but not now. Fucking support traitors?  Makes you the same.
View Quote

You realize all of the other helmet manufacturers donated to the Dems, right? They support traitors too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You realize all of the other helmet manufacturers donated to the Dems, right? They support traitors too.
View Quote
Which ones?  Proof?  Not some Radom story from a no name blog please.

And not that I'm condoning it but a donation is a tad different than hosting an event for the main scumbag herself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Which ones?  Proof?  Not some Radom story from a no name blog please.

And not that I'm condoning it but a donation is a tad different than hosting an event for the main scumbag herself.
View Quote
It's all easily found on the googles.

I don't disagree with you on hosting vs. donation. Varying levels of evil, though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Gentex/Ops-core

Clinton, Hillary$6,487

3m co

Contributions from this PAC to federal candidates(23% to Democrats, 77% to Republicans)$231,100
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP, what about a high cut revision?
View Quote
May have to look into them. I know someone who works for them and may be able to get one on the cheap. When I looked a few months back I didn't see helmet but wasn't seriously looking at the time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was going to write a post but not now. Fucking support traitors?  How does that make you any different.

I'm sorry butcwithvthe direction people like that want to take the country makes them my enemy. That's how they look at us.

Not to mention there are other options that are just as good if not better and don't have that retarded rail.

And you want to suppprt them?  Yeah. COC is all I have for you.
View Quote
People still support Troy after what they did. The make a quality product that does a great job at what it is designed to do. As for the CoC comment, how is that even relevant?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Take a look at the MTEK helmets, super light weight and comfy as hell. Plus the ear parts are high enough that you won't have any issues while running coms.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are Ops Core helmets Berry compliant? Because I did not think that was the case.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Are Ops Core helmets Berry compliant? Because I did not think that was the case.
View Quote
While I don't have a yes or no answer, I will say they are listed on the official Air Force Authorized Protective Headgear list, so take that for what it's worth. I can't imagine they'd put a non-Berry helmet on that list.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Ops cores is or was made in Massachusetts. If I recall correctly. They got into a pissing match wiht a bunch of hippies in their building or what not.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Just an update. Looking hard at the Revision Caiman and may get one of those when they come out. Revision seems G2G especially since they just got the new ACH contract. Anyone have experience with them?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Crye Airframe + 4D Tactical Zero G pads
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Revision is one of the big brands.

As for the Caiman I'll assume it'll be a great helmet that will make an OC Maritime looks like a budget option.
View Quote
I dunno, Revision has always been pretty wallet-friendly. This looks like they're trying to step on MTEK's toes, so if anything I think we'll see them trying to undercut their prices.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Crye Airframe + 4D Tactical Zero G pads
View Quote
I honestly hate the look of the Crye and how it has the vent
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
how bout dis
View Quote
Would get the ultra light weight if I went the 3M route.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I currently have a Revision "gunfighter" cut helmet, which is now the old gen style of theirs.  It works well and can probably be found at a good price when the new helmets are out.  Uses Revision rails, and probably cover, but can add all other goodies, such as pads, suspension, etc.  

Your old ACH can be modified, which is a lot of work but saves you a lot of bucks.  Use rails as templates.  I used a combination of high speed cut off wheel and coping saw.  Re-sealed with Devcon epoxy and McNett Seam Grip (shit-canned old rubber rand).  Custom-fitted Revision helmet cover.  Drilled new holes for 3-hole mount.  Install pads and suspension of choice.  If you want the really good accessories, does not really save much from the Gentex.  But allows you to buy stuff little at a time if on budget.          

The Gentex TBH II is probably the best deal out there right now.  Easily 200 bucks under any major brand (Opscore, Crye) with the same goodies.  Has the rails and shroud but may need to upgrade pads, suspension, etc.  

The Crye Airframe does look weird, but if over pressure from IED's is a concern, then it could save you from a TBI.  Good prices right now.  But may have to upgrade pads, suspension.    

If you really want the Cadillac, the Opscore Maritime ballistic.  But may still want different pads, suspension.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't like the look of the airframe and how it overlaps. I know it's stupid to not use something for looks, while I'm a huge crye fan the Airframe doesn't do it for me. I'm torn between the Ops Core and the 3M Ultra light weight currently since the 3M comes with the 4D stock.
View Quote
I have an Airframe, hands down my favorite ballistic helmet Ive had the pleasure to wear.  Until something comes out drastically lighter with equal or greater protection rating, I wont be changing my lid anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Where can you get an airframe with the mount bracket already installed? I don't want to drill a $1000 helmet myself.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#46]
All AirFrame Helmets we sell come pre-drilled for 3-hole NVG Shrouds.
Doh, I missed that when I was looking earlier. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Doh, I missed that when I was looking earlier. Thanks!
View Quote
What shroud do you suggest? I'm running dual 14s and will have comms on ARC rails.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#49]
About to get a ballistic helmet as well, crye is at the top of my list so far.

Lightweight and comfort are top for me so I'm hoping it works out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Y'all keep mentioning the Crye Airframe making me second guess my choice. It's between the new 3m High cut and the Revision Caimon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top