Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2017 2:12:15 PM EDT
...use with L-ll soft body armor, max size 8"x10", multi curve, thin and light weight?

The idea is to have an oversized hard trauma plate. Something more than our issued soft  L-ll and less then my active shooter L-lV plates and carrier for daily & special event needs. Liking the weight of the UHWPE

TIA
7mm
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Level II soft armor? Going to be a bit of an odd combo. All the In-Combination-With (ICW) rifle armor I know of is designed to work with IIIa soft armor as a backer. Level II is going to be too light for this application. Level II is no longer the standard for primary soft armor, IIIa is. Level II nowadays is used primarily when concealment needs to be maximized above all else.

That's not to say an ICW plate over level II armor won't stop a rifle round from penetrating, but the increased blunt trauma will likely be severe. It wouldn't surprise me if the backface deformation went well over the limit with only a level II backer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Look into European stuff. Most cops in the UK wear HG1a vests similar to NIJ II. Their upgrade plates usually are designed to be worn over that soft armor. They often use pure poly plates since they don't have much M855 over there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look into European stuff. Most cops in the UK wear HG1a vests similar to NIJ II. Their upgrade plates usually are designed to be worn over that soft armor. They often use pure poly plates since they don't have much M855 over there.
View Quote
Isn't the Euro standard for soft armor BFD more strict than NIJ standards? I've heard that quite a bit so, if true, getting some Euro made soft armor may work but I'd imagine it would be hard finding something equivalent to OPs existing armor in thickness and weight. I'd recommend he just get a good IIIa vest and be done with it. Then he can get whatever ICW plates he wants and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Level II soft armor? Going to be a bit of an odd combo. All the In-Combination-With (ICW) rifle armor I know of is designed to work with IIIa soft armor as a backer. Level II is going to be too light for this application. Level II is no longer the standard for primary soft armor, IIIa is. Level II nowadays is used primarily when concealment needs to be maximized above all else.

That's not to say an ICW plate over level II armor won't stop a rifle round from penetrating, but the increased blunt trauma will likely be severe. It wouldn't surprise me if the backface deformation went well over the limit with only a level II backer.
View Quote
It would surprise me if it didn't.

Level II is just shy of completely useless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#5]
In the UK HG1 and HG2 have maximum BFD of 25mm, HG1A is 44mm that's so American vests can be bought off the shelf without the recertification. A plate designed with HG1A in mind would perform the same with a level II.

A level II vest has about 24 layers of kevlar or equivalent. A IIIA has about 28 layers. A level II vest is not useless.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
What utter horse shit. Please don't open your pie hole again about things you have no knowledge of. Level II stops all the threats Level IIIA stops. It just has a bit more backface signature.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Isn't the Euro standard for soft armor BFD more strict than NIJ standards? I've heard that quite a bit so, if true, getting some Euro made soft armor may work but I'd imagine it would be hard finding something equivalent to OPs existing armor in thickness and weight. I'd recommend he just get a good IIIa vest and be done with it. Then he can get whatever ICW plates he wants and not worry about it.
View Quote
He does not need to worry about it anyway because II is fine for the application. If you are so caught up with the need for IIIA why don't you buy that IIIA vest for him?

Sounds like a standard "useless" Police Department issued vest and guy wants a rifle proof trauma plate to fit existing trauma pocket. Your solution is for him to buy his own IIIA vest? What utter nonsense. Why not recommend some $1,000 per plates while you are at it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What utter horse shit. Please don't open your pie hole again about things you have no knowledge of. Level II stops all the threats Level IIIA stops. It just has a bit more backface signature.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, you need to chill. Seriously. Did you forget this is a tech forum? 

I don't know what your problem is today but you need a break or something. Relax.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's cute. You really have me pegged when it comes to my knowledge of armor.

Also, your statement about threat stoppage regarding II vs III-A is not only wrong, it's dangerously bad data. But... rant away. You have it all figured out and as you said, I don't know anything about armor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also, your statement about threat stoppage regarding II vs III-A is not only wrong, it's dangerously bad data. But... rant away. You have it all figured out and as you said, I don't know anything about armor.
View Quote
Have you ever shot armor with clay to test it? I have and you'll find most vests will stop things they aren't rated for with more BFD than the NIJ allows.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Have you ever shot armor with clay to test it? I have and you'll find most vests will stop things they aren't rated for with more BFD than the NIJ allows.
View Quote
Only a few times. The other 2000+ times or so, I sent my product designs to one of the labs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was exactly my point. It's not that a lower level vest won't stop penetration, it's that the BFD can be severe enough to be life threatening depending on what you got hit with. I wouldn't trust a level II vest to give the proper BFD when used ICW with a rifle plate that's taking rifle hits. OP needs a IIIa vest if he wants the proper level of protection offered by an ICW plate.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Oh I did my own backyard test with clay! Seems like it stopped everything...so they must be the same! Im cheap so Ill go Level II..."
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...use with L-ll soft body armor, max size 8"x10", multi curve, thin and light weight?  The idea is to have an oversized hard trauma plate. Something more than our issued soft  L-ll and less then my active shooter L-lV plates and carrier for daily & special event needs. Liking the weight of the UHWPE

TIA
7mm
View Quote

Take a look at the Point Blank/Paraclete Speed Plate Plus.  It is a special threat rifle tested plate designed to be worn in the pocket of a standard concealable police vest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top