Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 8:58:14 PM EDT
Just picked up a Ops Core Bump helmet and was thinking about adding hearing protection to it.

Was thinking about picking these up since there on sale, If I got those earmuffs what ARC rail adapter would I need?

Also is those earmuffs good for the price?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol, are the ComTacs good...

Yes. The ComTac III is used heavily by U.S. special forces units and other analogous units in foreign militaries as well as police departments that can afford such a luxury. They're the best you can buy for under a grand. They're pretty much as good as it gets and $300 isn't a bad price for them.

I'm pretty sure all you need is the rail adapter. What mounting system does the helmet come with, if any? If it doesn't have the rail on it you'll have to add it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol, are the ComTacs good...

Yes. The ComTac III is used heavily by U.S. special forces units and other analogous units in foreign militaries as well as police departments that can afford such a luxury. They're the best you can buy for under a grand. They're pretty much as good as it gets and $300 isn't a bad price for them.

I'm pretty sure all you need is the rail adapter. What mounting system does the helmet come with, if any? If it doesn't have the rail on it you'll have to add it yourself.
View Quote
Helmet

I don't have the helmet yet, I just bought it so I don't know lol
I got it off Ebay brand new and it's the same as the site.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Helmet

I don't have the helmet yet, I just bought it so I don't know lol
I got it off Ebay brand new and it's the same as the site.
View Quote
Oh yeah, it's got Ops-Cores rail system on it so you should be good to go with the proper rail adapter. I think. I've never mounted earpro like that but I know a bunch of people here do. Someone should come along eventually who can confirm/correct my statements on the mounting hardware...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, it's got Ops-Cores rail system on it so you should be good to go with the proper rail adapter. I think. I've never mounted earpro like that but I know a bunch of people here do. Someone should come along eventually who can confirm/correct my statements on the mounting hardware...
View Quote
Which adapter? 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Which adapter? 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which adapter? 
You said you wanted ARC brand, so this. I think there's a couple other brands but like I said I've never mounted muffs myself. 

I'm pretty sure that adapter is all you need once you've got the muffs and helmet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#6]
If I get a pair of those Comtac's can I set them up for comms down the road when I get into them?

I read that you can and others say you can't?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I get a pair of those Comtac's can I set them up for comms down the road when I get into them?

View Quote
You're going to have to ask someone with more knowledge of the ComTac line than myself to know for sure but I'll tell you what I know.

From my understanding ComTacs have a proprietary 2 pin downlead plug for plugging in cables. They make 2 pin cables that adapt to stuff like 3.5mm jacks. I know there's "dedicated" comms models that have certain downleads either permanently fixed to the headset or they just come with them, those are the $500+ models you see. 

For some reason I had a hard time finding a straight answer on this myself when I was looking for electronic earpro. If you want to know for 100% certain I'd contact Peltor and ask them. Have the exact model ID ready.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can, you'll need the following IIRC:

https://srstactical.com/y-cable-harness-assembly.html
and
https://srstactical.com/all-products/communication-headsets-and-kits/accessories-leads-and-adaptors/flexi-boom-microphone.html
and
A PTT for your radio that accepts a TP120 plug wired to the same pin-out config as the Y-cable you use.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

and
https://srstactical.com/all-products/communication-headsets-and-kits/accessories-leads-and-adaptors/flexi-boom-microphone.html
and
A PTT for your radio that accepts a TP120 plug wired to the same pin-out config as the Y-cable you use.
View Quote
Thanks!!

I just placed my order for a pair Foliage Green Comtac III  

I'm glad I did, The black pair I was thinking about getting went up $25 

I will see how they work for me and when the time comes for comms I'll set them up. Thanks guys!
Will try to post pics when everything gets here 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Youllwant the 3m adapters. I got the new Unity MARK adapters and hate them. Pics and review are in the night vision forum.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:10:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Which adapter? 
View Quote
the Arc Rail Adapter. 3M makes one,

Honestly tho, fitting them to the helmet is a semi destructive process
Once you do it, the headband is pretty much ruined. It looks like this in the end

Attachment Attached File

They work great, but know that you can achieve similar results by running the headband under the suspension harness and keeping the headband in tact. This is a less solid fit, but still works and leaves your (expensive) headset intact for standalone use.

The only difference between that $300 version and the $550 version is the lack of a boom mic. If you aren't running a military style radio it will be a moot point as it's just an extra cable and mic hanging off your shit
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Once you do it, the headband is pretty much ruined. It looks like this in the end

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427499/IMG_1937-287084.JPG

They work great, but know that you can achieve similar results by running the headband under the suspension harness and keeping the headband in tact. This is a less solid fit, but still works and leaves your (expensive) headset intact for standalone use.

The only difference between that $300 version and the $550 version is the lack of a boom mic. If you aren't running a military style radio it will be a moot point as it's just an extra cable and mic hanging off your shit
View Quote
Nice helmet, thanks for the input and info
what light is that?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks!

Light is a Princeton Tec Switch MPLS (ARC Rail adapter sold separately)
http://princetontec.com/switch-mpls

So kicking this around, there is a wire that connects the two earcups that is encased by the leather headband (I wish I'd taken pics of the transformation). You have to cut the leather off to get to the wire in order to mount the headphones to the Arc rail. Then you can pull the earcups off the wires holiding them in place and transfer them to the ARC rail adapter.

If you do have to cut, cut the actual threads in the stitches on the headband and leave the leather intact. Then you can either see it back together later, or maybe see some Velcro in it so it is a removable feature.

As mentioned before, in the OpsCore manual that came with your helmet, it might have a diagram showing how to install the headset with the headband still attached. I found that to be really uncomfortable but your experience may vary.

Note with the light: I had to set my headphones pretty far back on the rail in order to securely fit the light on. I also have it mounted backwards on the adapter so the tab is accessible from the front. Play around and problem solve till you get a solution that works for you. Ain't anyone else wearing that helmet
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks!

Light is a Princeton Tec Switch MPLS (ARC Rail adapter sold separately)
http://princetontec.com/switch-mpls

So kicking this around, there is a wire that connects the two earcups that is encased by the leather headband (I wish I'd taken pics of the transformation). You have to cut the leather off to get to the wire in order to mount the headphones to the Arc rail. Then you can pull the earcups off the wires holiding them in place and transfer them to the ARC rail adapter.

If you do have to cut, cut the actual threads in the stitches on the headband and leave the leather intact. Then you can either see it back together later, or maybe see some Velcro in it so it is a removable feature.

As mentioned before, in the OpsCore manual that came with your helmet, it might have a diagram showing how to install the headset with the headband still attached. I found that to be really uncomfortable but your experience may vary.

Note with the light: I had to set my headphones pretty far back on the rail in order to securely fit the light on. I also have it mounted backwards on the adapter so the tab is accessible from the front. Play around and problem solve till you get a solution that works for you. Ain't anyone else wearing that helmet
View Quote
Exactly what happened to me. I had to mount my muffs as it was too uncomfortable to do it the other way and I had to also mount the thing backwards to have the tab sticking out.

3M vs MARK
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

and
and
View Quote
I bought this. I DO NOT recommend. It is junk. It will unplug, it will break. It is not the same as a wired kit. That said, I bought a fully wired Comtac III single comm and don't recommend that either due to price. Instead, get remote speaker mic for your radio and run a 3.5 mm cord to the headset. Use the speaker mic as your PTT and mic.

Alternatively,  get an in the ear set up and run it under the headset.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427499/IMG_1937-287084.JPG

View Quote
Both of these are not true. I can pop my headset back onto my headband which has an aftermarket cover to retain the wire.

There are electronic differences in the headset, which is why you have a milspec downlead that won't break or pop out. The aftermarket kit to put the electronics outside from SRS is NOT as robust. It's a huge hunk of crap and I'm pissed I ever bought it. But as I stated above, the boom mic is not the answer, the shoulder mic and 3.5mm plug is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top