Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2017 9:48:31 PM EDT
Hello!

I would be grateful for your expertise in helping my team develop a more precise and detailed gear list for an upcoming austere deployment.  We'll be embedded with a SEAL team (support role) and would prefer similar functioning/appearing gear.   Below are some of the vaguely listed items from our SOC reporting instructions I could use some help developing.  

*NOTE:  The content after the *asterisk in red are my notes and items I think might work.  I debated on including it in this post, but ultimately I'm leaving it for reference.  

I'm hoping to build a list with specific items (with possibly a sub), NSNs required, and possibly GSA Approved places to purchase to make my unit deployment manager's life easier and with hopes he actually purchases the items requested and not a "suitable sub" for price savings.  My internet access is extremely limited at my current location and I need a list submitted soon.  All items in coyote tan (preferred) or multi-cam when possible.  Thank you!

~40L Civilian Hiking Bag (For carrying force pro, items while going to town)
Mystery Ranch “Rats” Pack (if no Alice)
Assault pack (for a go Bag) *(Direct Action)
Body Armor with Plates  *Cry Precision JPC (Not IOTV)
Concealable body armor for KLE/in-town duty *(Point Blank Elite Level II - tan)
Holster – non-concealed  (drop/hip, SOCM) *Safariland 7395 7TS ALS Low Ride Duty Holster w/ ALS Guard
Concealed carry holster *Safariland 7379 7TS ALS Concealment Clip-on
Rescue or aircraft rigger belt with aircraft personnel retention lanyards  *Mandatory for aircraft ops  
Sturdy leather belt *For concealed M9 holster in civ uniform (MGL Victory Aegis or MAGPUL Tejas)
War belt (SOCM optional) *?Never worn a war belt
Helmet *High Cut a must for Peltor compatibility (Ops-Core FAST)
NVG mount for Helmet with correct swing arm *PVS-14 (single tube) definite, possibly PVS-31 (dual tube)
Peltors *ComTac III w/comm and helmet attachment required
Trucker mic for 152 *Harris PRC-152
Bug net head cover (SOCM, highly Recommended)
Hammock w/rain fly and mosquito net (SOCM, highly Recommended)
Sleeping Pad, light weight (SOCM)
Mosquito bed net *Iguana Pop-Up Bed Net or Catoma IBNS (Improved BedNet System)
Sleeping bag (lightweight bag only) *Rectangular/lightweight/packable/down
Folding Knife  
Headlamp *Must have non-white light option (Surefire, Petzl)
Flashlight *Variable white light levels, secondary color preferred
Gloves (flight or tactical) (x2) *Camelback or Outdoor Research
Compass
IR Strobe

Cheers,
Supra
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
*Note before reading*: I'm not mil. or L.E.O. or anything of the sort and never have been. My advice is based solely on my knowledge and experience with the gear itself, not its use in a tactical setting. Just didn't want to lead you on with thinking something like that. *Note end*

Honestly I think your gear list is pretty solid. Can't go wrong with the Ops Core, they seem to have become the standard for high cut helmets. Same with the Peltor Com Tac IIIs. 

As for a war belt I know HSGIs offerings are spoken highly of. TYR Tacticals Brokos belt also seems to get positive reviews quite often. There are however other options out there and I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge of such belt set ups.

For headlamps I personally like my Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II, but I use it as a primary light not a task light or IR illuminator which I suspect is what you guys would use a headlamp more as. It does however have an IR option, along with a white light and two other colored lights of which there are different combinations. I have White/Blue/Red/IR. All light settings can be set to strobe so if you needed it to act as an IFF light it would work in that fashion. I suppose the Streamlight may also be able to fit your flashlight requirements, but it is made specifically to be a headlamp and is therefore not ideal for hand held use.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm sure others will be along eventually who know more than I do but I thought I'd share what knowledge I can. Like I said before though I can't find anything wrong with the list of items you put together. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello!

I would be grateful for your expertise in helping my team develop a more precise and detailed gear list for an upcoming austere deployment.  We'll be embedded with a SEAL team (support role) and would prefer similar functioning/appearing gear.   Below are some of the vaguely listed items from our SOC reporting instructions I could use some help developing.  

*NOTE:  The content after the *asterisk in red are my notes and items I think might work.  I debated on including it in this post, but ultimately I'm leaving it for reference.  

I'm hoping to build a list with specific items (with possibly a sub), NSNs required, and possibly GSA Approved places to purchase to make my unit deployment manager's life easier and with hopes he actually purchases the items requested and not a "suitable sub" for price savings.  My internet access is extremely limited at my current location and I need a list submitted soon.  All items in coyote tan (preferred) or multi-cam when possible.  Thank you!

Holster – non-concealed  (drop/hip, SOCM) *Safariland 7395 7TS ALS Low Ride Duty Holster w/ ALS Guard
Rescue or aircraft rigger belt with aircraft personnel retention lanyards  *Mandatory for aircraft ops  
Sturdy leather belt *For concealed M9 holster in civ uniform (MGL Victory Aegis or MAGPUL Tejas)
NVG mount for Helmet with correct swing arm *PVS-14 (single tube) definite, possibly PVS-31 (dual tube)
Folding Knife  
Compass
IR Strobe

Cheers,
Supra
View Quote

Mystery Ranch rucks suck over plates. Alice is better.
Tyr makes a couple SOF assault packs that are ok. Aside from that, the Crye back panels are nice.
Get the JPC 2.0 for back panel reasons
I like the 565 Helo Personal Retention Lanyard, but they're all about the same
Riggers belts are all about the same, unless you get a war belt designed for tying in, too. In that case, get the ronin belt.
Ops Core maritime and peltors on arc rail adapters is fine.
The normal pvs 14 j arm and rhino mount are fine if youre using 14s. For 31, you'll need Wilcox l4 g70
Do not get a fucking trucker mic for your radio. Get a PTT and plug into your peltors
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For headlamps I personally like my Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II, but I use it as a primary light not a task light or IR illuminator which I suspect is what you guys would use a headlamp more as. It does however have an IR option, along with a white light and two other colored lights of which there are different combinations. I have White/Blue/Red/IR. All light settings can be set to strobe so if you needed it to act as an IFF light it would work in that fashion. I suppose the Streamlight may also be able to fit your flashlight requirements, but it is made specifically to be a headlamp and is therefore not ideal for hand held use.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up on the Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II.  I'm adding it to the list.  From the description, I much prefer its selector knob (for better control) to the do it all button on my personal Petzl headlamps.

Cheers,
Supra
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Mystery Ranch rucks suck over plates. Alice is better.
Tyr makes a couple SOF assault packs that are ok. Aside from that, the Crye back panels are nice.
Get the JPC 2.0 for back panel reasons
I like the 565 Helo Personal Retention Lanyard, but they're all about the same
Riggers belts are all about the same, unless you get a war belt designed for tying in, too. In that case, get the ronin belt.
Ops Core maritime and peltors on arc rail adapters is fine.
The normal pvs 14 j arm and rhino mount are fine if youre using 14s. For 31, you'll need Wilcox l4 g70
Do not get a fucking trucker mic for your radio. Get a PTT and plug into your peltors
View Quote
Thanks!  Do you have to remove the JPC 2.0 to access the back panel?  While nice, that would be a no go.

As for riggers belts, our current issue is thin/floppy and doesn't support my M9 well.  I also hate the separate D ring secured by Velcro for weight issues.  I was looking at the Wilderness tactical titanium, but they've been out of stock forever.  

Thanks for the reminder on the PTT.  The Peltor site is confusing on kits that include everything I need.

Cheers,
Supra
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I used the Crye LV MBAV for a concealable plate carrier.  I don't have an NSN, but it worked well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks!  Do you have to remove the JPC 2.0 to access the back panel?  While nice, that would be a no go.

As for riggers belts, our current issue is thin/floppy and doesn't support my M9 well.  I also hate the separate D ring secured by Velcro for weight issues.  I was looking at the Wilderness tactical titanium, but they've been out of stock forever.  

Thanks for the reminder on the PTT.  The Peltor site is confusing on kits that include everything I need.

Cheers,
Supra
View Quote
Yes, your buddy is the only one getting into your panel. Did you get my pm?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:57:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hello!

Folding Knife  
Compass
IR Strobe

Cheers,
Supra
View Quote

Flashlight - Surefire Kroma Milspec
Headlamp - Princeton Tec Remix Pro
Gloves - Mechanix Fastfit
Folding Knife - Spyderco Manix II (most of our guys have auto Benchmade though)
Sleeping bag - depends of temperature. SnugPak is good (I went with a down Marmot bag but be aware down is worthless when wet. Synthetic might be better for you.) Also get a Kifaru woobie.
NVG mount - We have Wilcox L4
War belt - HSGI padded suregrip (also get a belt with Cobra buckles to go with it)
3DAP - Mystery Ranch 3DAP
Rigger belt - ATS (it uses an integrated ring instead of the seperate D ring and it has a built in holster which worked great for my 9mm).
Rigger belt - Or look at Arc'Teryx if you want higher-end, lighter weight.

I was issued most of this so a lot of it probably has an NSN. A lot of it is / was in BAMS. However we also purchased a lot of it with OCO funds from places like SKD and OPTactical. OCO should be an option for you as well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#8]
A mid cut helmet still works with Peltor Comtac III, just can't stow on the rear of helmet as easily. But they fit on the ARC rails. So mid cut TW, ACH, OpsCore all still function to remove headband.

If you are going to be doing low profile with a radio consider an in ear piece instead of a PTT and just put it in the Peltor.

To me, a Ronin belt with a HSGI velcro liner is way easier to get on and off, less bulky, etc. Than a full HSGI belt.

If putting a plate carrier on and taking off many times is necessary, a First Spear tubes cummerbund makes it take less than 1/3 the time to suit up. The JPC 2.0 back panel won't work with that set up though without modification to add a cummerbund pass through.

The JPC 2.0 costs a lot more than 1.0 and requires a panel not included in price beyond that. You will also want some shoulder padding of some sort I bet.

If you get a PTT, don't get one with coiled wire and try to route it, it will quickly fail, get straight wire. Get a remote antenna kit or suffer an antenna in your face all the time.

Also, the 7TS holsters are not as ruggedly built as the traditional Safariland holsters. The nose block can move because it's not bolted in like the traditional holsters, the material is more flexible and that extra safety lever to retain the SLS is not as robust on the 7TS since there is so much flex in the one piece body. If it already works for you, great, but if you are coming from a traditional SLS ALS combination the only advantage is that the holster is less expensive and sits lower. I wear a 7TS daily, but I'm a police Detective. I wouldn't wear it as a duty/high retention/heavy use holster in SLS format just from the failures I have had. A hard off center insert can press that barrel block/pin off center and prevent the holster from going in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
So what is it that you do, that might help with this.

EOD, SIGINT, MWD?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the additional info from everyone.

Quoted:
To me, a Ronin belt with a HSGI velcro liner is way easier to get on and off, less bulky, etc. Than a full HSGI belt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've never used a war belt.  Start now?  It's on my reporting instructions.  I've always just put everything on my IOTV and M9 on my belt in a UBL low drop Safariland SLS.  Lots of room for improvement.  The JPC's less real estate might change things.

Quoted:
The JPC 2.0 costs a lot more than 1.0 and requires a panel not included in price beyond that. You will also want some shoulder padding of some sort I bet.
The JPC doesn't come with shoulder pads?

Quoted:
Also, the 7TS holsters are not as ruggedly built as the traditional Safariland holsters. The nose block can move because it's not bolted in like the traditional holsters, the material is more flexible and that extra safety lever to retain the SLS is not as robust on the 7TS since there is so much flex in the one piece body. If it already works for you, great, but if you are coming from a traditional SLS ALS combination the only advantage is that the holster is less expensive and sits lower. I wear a 7TS daily, but I'm a police Detective. I wouldn't wear it as a duty/high retention/heavy use holster in SLS format just from the failures I have had. A hard off center insert can press that barrel block/pin off center and prevent the holster from going in.
Good info.  I'll just keep my 6004 SLS.  I might go back to the thigh drop with one strap removed as my UBL low drop mount flexes some away from my thigh upon draw hindering a quick release for me.  It's also in the worst unmovable position when sitting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So what is it that you do, that might help with this.

EOD, SIGINT, MWD?
View Quote
Forward damage control resuscitation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:55:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Forward damage control resuscitation.
View Quote
Like on an FST?  If so I wouldnt worry too much about the personal gear and worry more about stuff like lights and generators, solar showers, etc.  Ive only seen those guys wear kit for enfil/exfil and spend a week staged in scrubs in between.  Ex., I dont know what you would do with a warbelt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#13]
No, the JPC does not have padding, shoulder or otherwise. The plates must be stand alone multicurved and the padding comes from the plate rear face of the plate as its just thin stretchy material. For the shoulders, I use PIG BRIG shoulder pads. Cheap, thin, light. The velcro fits perfectly on either side of the stock shoulder sleeve/cover on the JPC 1.0 and if you are running a decent amount of stuff on your carrier you will appreciate the thin padding.

I run III+ SAPI L plates, 3 mags or 2 mags and a radio, IFAK, TQ, and Emdom Vehicle Hydration carrier. That was the tipping point for needing pads. With any less I didn't need them. I also swapped to a first gen First Spear tubes cummerbund, which is less breathable, but is always adjusted perfectly and takes me 3-4 seconds to get my carrier on or 2-3 seconds to get off. While you can get a traditional velcro set up on almost as fast, it is always misaligned, too tight or loose, etc.so you inevitably take your time lining it up.

For me the full sized battle belts were too thick, shifted too easily, etc. I went through a lot of belts before going Ronin and it also takes about 4 seconds to get on. I quit using drop legs and went low ride belt mount and normally use an HSGI padded liner instead of a two belt system. The only advantage to the two belt system is the belt does not ride up over you normal belt in back when you sit. The Ronin plus HSGI liner does not move at all. It might in some weird scenario, but not in use, training, classes, etc.

The mid/low ride holster clears my cummerbund easily, does not take the extra time to secure a strap, and does not flop much. Some guys run a single leg strap on the low ride duty plate, only to remove some of the nose out movement when you run or draw, but it does not move with your leg. I have a 6004 one leg strap variant with that rubbery DFA and while it moves with the leg and is stable, it's slower to put on, does this weird bow out bendy thing when seated, and makes drawing difficult in a car seat.

A SLS/ALS Safariland has mounting points that make it ride higher. A SLS has mounting bolts that are higher, where the SLS mechanism is, and makes the holster sit 1" lower. I use a mid ride with SLS to gain clearance. With low ride, I found some holsters nose dug into seats and I started doing a QD mount to move the holster to my chest. An SLS on a mid ride removes the need for moving the gun, running a strap, having that weird DFA bendy spring thing going on, etc.

So I'm not a 6004 altweed from 2 strap to 1, the dedicated 1 strap or UBL low ride with 1 strap still have negatives, and SLS/ALS combo does not work on a mid ride, but the ALS only does.

If you don't NEED level 2 or 3 retention, your original 7TS holster idea on a mid ride plate with NO strap, on a Ronin belt will be great, I'd just recommend the traditional Safariland STX tactical material over 7TS if it needs to be heavy duty. The STX Tactical comes in colors too, if that was a concern.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Like on an FST?  If so I wouldnt worry too much about the personal gear and worry more about stuff like lights and generators, solar showers, etc.  Ive only seen those guys wear kit for enfil/exfil and spend a week staged in scrubs in between.  Ex., I dont know what you would do with a warbelt.
View Quote
No, but good guess.  1/3 size of an FST and attached to and project out with Team platoon/ODA.  Member can supplement/stand-in for SOCM/18-D, while rest stage in mudhut within minutes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, but good guess.  1/3 size of an FST and attached to and project out with Team platoon/ODA.  Member can supplement/stand-in for SOCM/18-D, while rest stage in mudhut within minutes.
View Quote
Nice.  Hope you can carry a lot of heavy things real far.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
He is asking on AR15.com so I'm going to assume he is into guns. Chances are good that it will get used. For military ops though? Probably not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I was assigned/stationed/embedded with MTTs and NSWGs, it's really odd that you're having to source a PC, NVG mounts, IR strobes, comms, and the like. I was always issued gear. In fact with these particular units, more gear than I needed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was assigned/stationed/embedded with MTTs and NSWGs, it's really odd that you're having to source a PC, NVG mounts, IR strobes, comms, and the like. I was always issued gear. In fact with these particular units, more gear than I needed.
View Quote
I took it he was assembling a dream list of issue gear.  That's why he needs NSN's.  The unit has discretionary money to buy extra equipment in support of their designated mission.  They just need to figure out what they need/want for the team.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I took it he was assembling a dream list of issue gear.  That's why he needs NSN's.  The unit has discretionary money to buy extra equipment in support of their designated mission.  They just need to figure out what they need/want for the team.
View Quote
Gotcha
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Not military here....

AMRON (Kelty) MAP3500 ruck is in use by SEALs.

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#21]
A lot of that stuff is unit purchased or a contract specific to them but here is some ideas, I have included NSNs for items I have used if available. My comments are in RED. Contact the companies they may have the NSN for what you are looking for or if you can do GSA go on GSA Advantage and shop around. Build a shopping cart in GSA advantage and then email to the person who can buy it so you get exactly what you need. I did a search for the items listed below and found many of them on GSA Advantage. I did this to outfit some disaster response kits with my last unit and it worked pretty well.

~40L Civilian Hiking Bag (Kelty Redwing 50)
Assault pack (LBT 3DAY)
Holster – non-concealed (drop/hip, SOCM) *Safariland 7395 7TS ALS Low Ride Duty Holster w/ ALS Guard (Consider MID RIDE Jacket Slot belt adaptor if it will work with your armor)
Rescue or aircraft rigger belt with aircraft personnel retention lanyards *Mandatory for aircraft ops (YATES 565 4240016189712)
Sturdy leather belt *For concealed M9 holster in civ uniform (MGL Victory Aegis or MAGPUL Tejas) (Bianchi Fancy Stitched B9)
War belt (SOCM optional) *?Never worn a war belt (Never did either as a support guy but if you are going to put shit on a rigger belt look at the High Speed Gear Inc COBRA 1.75” RIGGER BELT WITH D-RING AND INTERIOR VELCRO)
Sleeping Pad, light weight (SOCM) (Cascade Designs Z-Lite folding mat)
Folding Knife (Lots of choices but really for effective no BS cutting tool look at Benchmade SKU 550BKHGSN)
Headlamp *Must have non-white light option (Surefire, Petzl) (SIDEWINDER 2 6230-01-613-4312
Flashlight *Variable white light levels, secondary color preferred (Surefire EB2 Backup, Streamlight PROTAC® 1L-1AA FLASHLIGHT or Quark Click QK2A-X are viable options for different light levels with the 4 Sevens having the most if I remember. None however will have a secondary color and all have a pocket clip and no sharp edges to snag on clothing or a pouch)
Gloves (flight or tactical) (x2) *Camelback or Outdoor Research (Outdoor research by a large margin )
Compass (Suunto MC-2G Global Metric Compass Manf P/N  SS004252010 the scales are 1:25 and 1:50 and you can set declination and while your at it get the Suunto M-9 Wrist Compass 6605-01-543-8145)
IR Strobe (Adventure Lights 02608-7 Gen 4 5 LED's (2IR/3Green) Mockingbird 5850-20-003-8764 you can program the IR flash with really any IR source like a remote control or illuminator, meaning you can set a specific pattern as desired or required)

Something else to consider Survival Kit, Escape and Evasion (E&E), NSN 6545-01-534-0894
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Most of the guys that fall under SOCOM get issued the "good" gear from a specific Govt. contracted entity. However, your command might have to set up sizing, etc... Right now most are issued the Multicam Crye AVS system with stand alone / SPEAR GEN IV or V plates as body armor. You can try contacting the help desk from your .mil email or call them at SOCOM logistic help desk: (859) 293-3114; dsn: 888-763-7259; email: [email protected]

I copied and pasted that email and phone number hopefully it works if not, use WEBFLIS to search for the contact! If it works then these guys do all the work for you, that is, if you are authorized and all they need is your group sizes!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Most of the guys that fall under SOCOM get issued the "good" gear from a specific Govt. contracted entity. However, your command might have to set up sizing, etc... Right now most are issued the Multicam Crye AVS system with stand alone / SPEAR GEN IV or V plates as body armor. You can try contacting the help desk from your .mil email or call them at SOCOM logistic help desk: (859) 293-3114; dsn: 888-763-7259; email: [email protected]

I copied and pasted that email and phone number hopefully it works if not, use WEBFLIS to search for the contact! If it works then these guys do all the work for you, that is, if you are authorized and all they need is your group sizes!
View Quote
Thats only if you are organic to an SF group/NSW mobile unit or similar entity, or your unit has bought in to the SPEAR program.  Externally attached enablers must have the majority of their equipment paid for by their respective units.

My last unit bought in to SPEAR and got it issued, my current one does the same mission and has not, we buy our stuff on GPC.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

IR Strobe (Adventure Lights 02608-7 Gen 4 5 LED's (2IR/3Green) Mockingbird 5850-20-003-8764 you can program the IR flash with really any IR source like a remote control or illuminator, meaning you can set a specific pattern as desired or required)
View Quote
OP, you really should ID what type of strobe you need.  If the SOP you fall under requires it to be visible by aircraft something like this one wouldnt work, it's meant for ground-ground signal.  Im not in your job but I would prefer to have one that can be used as a marker for air medevac as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP, you really should ID what type of strobe you need.  If the SOP you fall under requires it to be visible by aircraft something like this one wouldnt work, it's meant for ground-ground signal.  Im not in your job but I would prefer to have one that can be used as a marker for air medevac as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point, I suggested it because of the adaptability of the patterns to copy what team might be using. But a regular MS-2000 from ACR Electronics might be a better option 6230-01-411-8535.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top