BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I for one, will be dissapointed if this thread goes away.

Bulldog: what's your current sling set up and why?
View Quote
I use a basic VTAC quick adjust sling. Not the best, and the edges have begun to fray slightly, but I haven't really noticed any other problems with it. Being an M4, I don't really need it to be padded or anything (although that would be nice), and the quick adjust is nice.

It's a simple design and simple is what works best for me. Also, it was pretty cheap.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't get the padded one.
It will severely limit your slings adjustability.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Rad. Thank you and stay safe OP
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Realy enjoying this op,stay safe out there!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Really? I haven't had that experience. Can you elaborate?

I've owned and extensively used both.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I use a basic VTAC quick adjust sling. Not the best, and the edges have begun to fray slightly, but I haven't really noticed any other problems with it. Being an M4, I don't really need it to be padded or anything (although that would be nice), and the quick adjust is nice.

It's a simple design and simple is what works best for me. Also, it was pretty cheap.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/462465/20170113-162649-231644.JPG
View Quote
IMO VTAC > BF.

I've got 4 or 5 o the VTACs and one BF. The BF is an indestructible beast, but it has less adjustment and the buckle is so tight that I find it difficult to quickly adjust. I could just be a huge leaking vagina, though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Got the G33 installed and I am liking it so far. Thanks snakeman48!

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
This is gonna sound like an amateur-hour question, but do you need to use some sort of holdover when shooting with the magnifier vs shooting without?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is gonna sound like an amateur-hour question, but do you need to use some sort of holdover when shooting with the magnifier vs shooting without?
View Quote
No, you shouldn't need a different holdover when shooting with the magnifier. Obviously long range is long range and you will need to compensate accordingly.

Just keep in mind the G33 magnifies both the target and the reticle. Not sure why I didn't realize that until I looked down the sight. I like it a lot so far.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, you shouldn't need a holdover when shooting with the magnifier. Obviously long range is long range and you will need to compensate accordingly.

Just keep in mind the G33 magnifies both the target and the reticle. Not sure why I didn't realize that until I looked down the sight. I like it a lot so far.
View Quote
Actually yes you still need to know your holds.  Your Eotech is zeroed at a set distance.  Nothing changes with adding a magnifier other than PID is easier.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually yes you still need to know your holds.  Your Eotech is zeroed at a set distance.  Nothing changes with adding a magnifier other than PID is easier.
View Quote
But I thought he was asking if the holdovers would change by flipping the magnifier down.

Edited my original answer for clarity.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
But I thought he was asking if the holdovers would change by flipping the magnifier down.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your edit addressed my question. That was what I was ineptly trying to ask. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you shouldn't need a holdover when shooting with the magnifier. Obviously long range is long range and you will need to compensate accordingly.

Just as long as the temp doesn't change to much
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just as long as the temp doesn't change to much
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IMO VTAC > BF.

I've got 4 or 5 o the VTACs and one BF. The BF is an indestructible beast, but it has less adjustment and the buckle is so tight that I find it difficult to quickly adjust. I could just be a huge leaking vagina, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/462465/20170113-162649-231644.JPG
IMO VTAC > BF.

I started with a vtac. Now I have 3-4 BF slings and no vtac
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why so?

Genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why so?

Genuinely curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why so?

Genuinely curious.
I found the thinner nylon was not comfortable to use as a hasty shooting sling. It twisted alot. I didn't like how the tail end flopped around or velcroed to it self.

I find the BF sling much simpler with enough adjustments for me.

It's been years since I switched and there might have been more reasons. I think the slings are well made and gave it to my brother in law.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Understood. Thank you for taking the time to explain that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thank You!
Keep safe
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I found the thinner nylon was not comfortable to use as a hasty shooting sling. It twisted alot. I didn't like how the tail end flopped around or velcroed to it self.

It's been years since I switched and there might have been more reasons. I think the slings are well made and gave it to my brother in law.

I tried a VTAC sling that a guy on Lightfighter sent me years ago when they first came out.. I ditched it for the same reason.. too thin and I hated the loose strap.

The first time it snagged on a Humvee seat while I was getting out, I knew I was done with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why so?

Genuinely curious.

I tried a VTAC sling that a guy on Lightfighter sent me years ago when they first came out.. I ditched it for the same reason.. too thin and I hated the loose strap.

The first time it snagged on a Humvee seat while I was getting out, I knew I was done with it.
Got a BFG VCAS sling and never looked back... no loose strap. Plenty of adjustment, right width and thickness.

I will say, the padded version you lose some adjustment, and with wearing armor, you want the adjustment over the padding.

My $.o2
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically, correct....however, there is a POI shift as it changes the image and how your eye perceives it.  There was a huge debate about it on
LF a year or two back and some guys tested it.  There is a small POI shift.  Part of it is from your old zero being less precise, so you can fix it by zeroing with the magnifier.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just want to thank snakeman48 again...I dont want his extreme generosity to be lost among the irrelevant posts. He is a great guy.
View Quote
Props to @snakeman48

That's a great gesture.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for an incredibly informative thread. OP, I hope you and all your folks over there are able to stay safe and return home soon.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Technically, correct....however, there is a POI shift as it changes the image and how your eye perceives it.  There was a huge debate about it on
LF a year or two back and some guys tested it.  There is a small POI shift.  Part of it is from your old zero being less precise, so you can fix it by zeroing with the magnifier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I mis-understood what the question was.  I read it as, "If I use a magnifier do I need to still know my proper holds for different distances?"  To which the answer is yes you still need to know your holdovers same as when you shot your KD course.  Re-reading the original question it's pretty clear I didn't read it, and comprehend it, properly 

Sounds dumb but I've had people assume that a magnified optic turned their gun into a laser rather than realizing ballistics still apply.  It actually happened earlier this week, so it stuck out to me as the same question 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I had the blackhawk commando chest rig.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks for an incredibly informative thread. OP, I hope you and all your folks over there are able to stay safe and return home soon.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#28]
That looks awesome. Shout out to snakeman.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the late reply.

I was taking a basic rifle class and one if the positions was sitting using the sling as an added support.

The pad kept me from adjusting the sling to a tighter fit.

I'm going to sell it and get one without the pad.

Other then the pad, i love the sling.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sorry for the late reply.

I was taking a basic rifle class and one if the positions was sitting using the sling as an added support.

The pad kept me from adjusting the sling to a tighter fit.

I'm going to sell it and get one without the pad.

Other then the pad, i love the sling.
View Quote
Hmm, I'll have to mess around with this. Thank you for the reply!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Very informative thread. Thanks for sharing and stay safe. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Man it's always awesome to see what good people are capable of. Good on you Snakeman. Bulldog, at 44 I'm positioned to have lived with and without the internet. All I can say is, as hard as it is I do my best to tune out the white noise. Easier said than done. Thanks for your posts. I enjoy the technical talk but more importantly it's good hearing that you're doing well. I hope you continue to write in. Thanks from me and thanks from my six month old son, you help to provide the liberty we enjoy. Stay safe brother.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you for your service and taking the time to post your gear and answer the questions!

Dumb street cop here appreciates hearing what works in the extreme conditions!

Stay safe and bless you for volunteering to fight the good fight!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Ill post a little about my belt that Ive been using (crye modular riggers belt) when I get some time. Thanks again to snakeman and all the well-wishers!

Question: are my pictures from photobucket showing up? They aren't for me.

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#35]

I guess Imgur it is for me. Way better than photobucket. Double mag pouch and suunto m9 compass is new (backup to foretrex).
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#36]
My dad and his got a personal tour of Wrigley Field...just sent me this. Now I think I finally miss home
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Being born and raised on the South Side, I'm by birth right a Sox fan....

Bu,t I was a honorary Cub's fan last year for the playoff's    

Cool ring.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#38]
New Harris pouch:

Crye Modular Rigger's Belt:
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry for corny persec

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Highly recommend the Crye belt...love this thing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you still have an IFAK on your PC or did you just move it to your belt?

TYR just had a sale on what I thought was the first one you posted so I bought one.  I've been using a tactical tailor insert in a universal mag pouch on my PC but it sticks out and isn't super functional.  I also have an HSGI bleeder on my belt.

Are you going to move some mags to your belt or keep reloads on your PC?

I'm able to see the photosuckit pictures if I right click and open them in another tab, it's just really slow so I haven't looked at all of them.

Thanks for posting, and for kicking ass, don't worry about taking names.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do you still have an IFAK on your PC or did you just move it to your belt?

TYR just had a sale on what I thought was the first one you posted so I bought one.  I've been using a tactical tailor insert in a universal mag pouch on my PC but it sticks out and isn't super functional.  I also have an HSGI bleeder on my belt.

Are you going to move some mags to your belt or keep reloads on your PC?

I'm able to see the photosuckit pictures if I right click and open them in another tab, it's just really slow so I haven't looked at all of them.

Thanks for posting, and for kicking ass, don't worry about taking names.
View Quote
My IFAK just got moved to my belt, along with my NODs, batteries, and garmin when I dont need it. I also have a dump pouch, knife, and frag grenade on the belt.

All I have on my kit is 6 mags, radio, and a water source.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I hate Photobucket right now... All this talk about all the cool photos and 99% of them won't show :(
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for continuing with this thread, deploying as well and came here for some layout ideas. It's a shame those chode-waffles at photobucket went full retard. Thanks for the oxyclean stick idea, I never knew they made such a thing.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's what I haul around Afghanistan.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#46]
looks like ill be going over soon, good thread for some ideas but being a fresh TL got a lot more shit to carry than the op radios and all the little bullshit that's needed, and have to see if I can actually wear my Crye AVS in country since it changes whether its allowed or not here depending on the 1sg flavor of the month.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Here's what I haul around Afghanistan.

http://i.imgur.com/W1jCEEa.jpg
View Quote
Hey @Doc_Hurley - what plate carrier is that?

And what's that thing hooked onto your belt?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote
Carrier is a Velocity Systems SCARAB LT with a Mayflower M4 placard. And the thing clipped to my belt is a personal retention lanyard, aka monkey tail, to clip into the floor of helicopters.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My IFAK just got moved to my belt, along with my NODs, batteries, and garmin when I dont need it. I also have a dump pouch, knife, and frag grenade on the belt.

All I have on my kit is 6 mags, radio, and a water source.
View Quote
Not that I’m traipsing around Afghanistan but I came to this conclusion too. Nothing on my PC but what you have. Everything else on belt. Hips can carry a lot more weight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Carrier is a Velocity Systems SCARAB LT with a Mayflower M4 placard. And the thing clipped to my belt is a personal retention lanyard, aka monkey tail, to clip into the floor of helicopters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top