Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 6/4/2017 6:19:29 AM EDT
Hey there everyone. I just wanted to update on some of my everyday kit I wear over here and was wondering if anyone had any comments or questions or possibly critiques.

It is a Gen IV IOTV with:

-Tyr Tactical triple mag shingle
-Tyr Tactical single mag shingle
-Tyr Tactical improved SOF IFAK
-Crye General Purpose pouch for NODs
-Source 3L hydro carrier
-Crye 152 Harris pouch
-2 general issue m4 mag pouches

Also some nice knee pads. And obviously my M4 with PEQ15 and, yes, an Eotech EXPS (which has performed FLAWLESSLY in the mountains and extreme heat of Afghanistan).

Not pictured is a Arcteryx H150 Rigger's Belt. Also not pictured: a Crye Modular Rigger's Belt holding a Velocity Systems dump pouch, my NODs pouch from my vest, my IFAK from my vest, a Crye frag pouch, and a Tyr tactical 9mm pistol mag pouch for my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 folder.

I am ordering 4D Tactical Zero G helmet pads for my helmet. I hear they are nice.

Let me know what you think,

John
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank You!
Keep safe
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Stay safe op
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for all you are doing OP
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I need that hydration pack.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Stay safe and keep your head on a swivel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Stay safe.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for sharing.  Looks heavy

stay safe and thank you for what you are doing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#8]
You must be a tall person, with that stock fully extended like that.
Stay safe, my friend.
And thank you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I need that hydration pack.
View Quote
The Source Hydro Carrier is awesome and works great because even if I am wearing a pack, or sitting in a vehicle, it is flat and doesnt feel like a big lump behind me. Its a standard 3L just like the issued camelback but the way it is spread out even when full there isnt much bulge.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for your service OP. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Couple of questions:

1) How do you like the EOTech?

2) How wide is the use of EOTechs?

3) What EOTech issues/failures in the field are you aware of?

And thank you for your service.

Looks like someone was careless with their bottle of hand sanitizer. Might come in handy, but I keep hearing how germ-free everything is over there so who knows? 
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Couple of questions:

View Quote
1) I love the Eotech. It needs a magnifier that is for sure. Especially in the mountainous terrain of Afghanistan. I zeroed it once, and have banged it around on missions and it hasnt lost the zero. I also zeroed it around 85 degrees and for example today was 123°. Zero is still fine.

2) The use of EXPS in SOF community is wide. Less so in line infantry units. The XPS is used by CAG.

3) I am not aware of any issues with the optic at all. With mine or anyone elses.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1) I love the Eotech. It needs a magnifier that is for sure. Especially in the mountainous terrain of Afghanistan. I zeroed it once, and have banged it around on missions and it hasnt lost the zero. I also zeroed it around 85 degrees and for example today was 123°. Zero is still fine.

2) The use of EXPS in SOF community is wide. Less so in line infantry units. The XPS is used by CAG.

3) I am not aware of any issues with the optic at all. With mine or anyone elses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Couple of questions:

Interesting, thank you.

Wonder when yours and others were made. There's been rampant histeria here regarding those exact optics. L3 refunding for optics and the Scarlett Letter "E" given by most here on ARFCOM. Optic non grata.

I ask because I still have my EXPS with the 3X magnifier, never had a reason to dump it and have had zero issues. Then again, I'm a sample size of one and certainly not in a combat role like you and your brothers over there.

And I'm also digging that hydration pack you've got. 
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#14]
In a general sense without betraying any OPSEC, what do you do over there?

If you can't say, I understand.

PM me if you're ever in S.E. Florida, beers on me. Thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Stay safe. Carry what you are most comfortable with.. From a practicability POV. Don't worry about what everyone else does.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In a general sense without betraying any OPSEC, what do you do over there?

If you can't say, I understand.

PM me if you're ever in S.E. Florida, beers on me. Thanks for your service!
View Quote
I am an 11B. Right now on this deployment we focus on missions to promote stability in the region, cultivate a bond of trust between locals and US and the Afghan government, and disrupt the ISIS-k infestation through kinetic operations.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stay safe. Carry what you are most comfortable with.. From a practicability POV. Don't worry about what everyone else does.
View Quote
That's basically my entire driving philosophy. Whatever can make you faster, safer, or more lethal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice kit

Thanks for all you do
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#19]
No sidearm?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice load out, what type of NV are you issue/ using?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No sidearm?
View Quote
Nope. Usually only officers, RTO's and machine gunners carry them. I'd love to carry a G19.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice load out, what type of NV are you issue/ using?
View Quote
PSQ-20s and PVS-14s
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks like it works for you. Stay safe OP.

Do you have a white light for your rifle?

Without going into details do you carry any SERE gear?

What gloves are you using? I always liked the mechanix or OR.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Stay safe
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#25]
No dangling roll of electrical tape or chemlights stuck into the webbing?

Honest question; what are you carrying for snivel gear?

Is there anything you need that you can't get over there?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks like it works for you. Stay safe OP.

Do you have a white light for your rifle?

Without going into details do you carry any SERE gear?

What gloves are you using? I always liked the mechanix or OR.
View Quote
I do have a rifle mounted surefire. Its not in this picture because I usually like to have my rifle as simple and streamlined as possible.

For gloves I have Mechanix flex fit:

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No dangling roll of electrical tape or chemlights stuck into the webbing?

Honest question; what are you carrying for snivel gear?

Is there anything you need that you can't get over there?
View Quote
In terms of snivel gear I carry absolutely nothing. It was 123° today. No shit felt like 130°. All I wore was a tan shirt and pants.

And not much that I really need. I get dip and coffee from my wife so I am all set In terms of gear that I might want, I just order from OP tactical. Gets from America to eastern Afghanistan in 8 days.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In terms of snivel gear I carry absolutely nothing. It was 123° today. No shit felt like 130°. All I wore was a tan shirt and pants.

And not much that I really need. I get dip and coffee from my wife so I am all set In terms of gear that I might want, I just order from OP tactical. Gets from America to eastern Afghanistan in 8 days.
View Quote
That is brutal heat and brings back memories.  Thanks for doing what you are doing, God bless.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice setup. Damn 120+ degrees is some crazy shit. Good to hear the EOtech is holding up though. Everyone is bailing on em back home. Do you guys all rock their optics or do some use Aimpoints? I see a lot of guys gearing up with 3 mags, is that the standard or do some carry more? Stay safe brother, I appreciate what you guys are doing over there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nice setup. Damn 120+ degrees is some crazy shit. Good to hear the EOtech is holding up though. Everyone is bailing on em back home. Do you guys all rock their optics or do some use Aimpoints? I see a lot of guys gearing up with 3 mags, is that the standard or do some carry more? Stay safe brother, I appreciate what you guys are doing over there.
View Quote
Some rock Eotechs, some rock Aimpoints, alot rock ACOGs.

No, you dont leave the wire without 7 mags. 6 on your kit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks very much-I appreciate you very much.I'm former Intel "C.I. "spook"
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I have had one eotech 512, two exps3, and one exps2. All of them took a shit and the nitrogen leaked out. Some more then once when I sent them back for repair. I still have one exps3 because I love the look of it. But I only trust acogs now. I do have some aim points too
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have had one eotech 512, two exps3, and one exps2. All of them took a shit and the nitrogen leaked out. Some more then once when I sent them back for repair. I still have one exps3 because I love the look of it. But I only trust acogs now. I do have some aim points too
View Quote
I understand. My experience has been positive. I have heard horror stories about Eotech's customer service. Havn't needed to use the customer service yet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I understand. My experience has been positive. I have heard horror stories about Eotech's customer service. Havn't needed to use the customer service yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i paid to ship them every time. Once the returns started I decided I did not want to keep sending them back for new nitrogen and used the refund money on an acog
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice rig, looks like you've got the weight pretty reasonable. I'm really liking that hydration pack; I need to get something like that for my carrier so I'm not just using canteens in pouches. Gotta love that plate-carrier-shaped sweat ocean after you take the thing off

Stay safe, man!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#37]
What kind of plates are you using? Gov paid or did you supply them?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Stay safe.

Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nice rig, looks like you've got the weight pretty reasonable. I'm really liking that hydration pack; I need to get something like that for my carrier so I'm not just using canteens in pouches. Gotta love that plate-carrier-shaped sweat ocean after you take the thing off
Stay safe, man!
View Quote
That's the Source 3L Hydro Carrier.  I love this thing.

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Missing mag-coupler, buttstock mag pouch, folding tanto knife, face paint, vertical grip

Fail

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Missing mag-coupler, buttstock mag pouch, folding tanto knife, face paint, vertical grip

Fail

View Quote
Got a bayonet...does that make up for it??

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What kind of plates are you using? Gov paid or did you supply them?
View Quote
The plates are government issued ceramic ESAPI plates with soft kevlar backings. Two large plates front and back, and two small rectangular plates for the sides.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail

Got a bayonet...does that make up for it??

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Jkbulldogg/20170520_151437_zpsa4sxug4q.jpg
Hell yea it does! Bayonets are ninja pirate robot awesome
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Awesome post and thanks for sharing!

Would you have any additional pictures of the Tyr IFAK pouch and its interior layout? And how do you like it? I'm always intrigued with their offerings, but they never have any pics that show the interior layouts.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Those IOTVs don't look bad at all.

If you don't already have one and plan on staying in get an Ops-Core ACH chinstrap. Worlds better and they are jumpable if that's a concern. Unless they issue decent ones now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Which Gen IV IOTV is that, one earlier I saw, the vest is made to fit soft armor like the Gen II-III IOTV, the newer ones, the main body is sized like the KDH Tac-1 Magnum SPCS.   

I guess they finally did like the Marines did with IMTV, instead of issuing MTV and SPC, Army is now issuing the newer, trimmer Carter Enterprises/Armour-Wear.com IOTV to eliminate issuing two armor systems.

The GenIV, the rear carrier has a second pocket to fit the next size up ESAPI plate, too, so you can run Medium up front with a Large on back for more protection while keeping max arm movement up front.

Thank you for taking your turn standing at the Wall, protecting America while we sleep.  God Bless, and be safe!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#48]
How often do you replace the batteries in your Eotech?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Looks good op.

Looks a lot better than what I had a decade earlier.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I think your missing some frag grenades...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top