Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I ordered five to use as loaner rigs/set up for lesser used weapons like the shotguns and PS90.  All five arrived with the shoulder harness, one with the FSBS/MTV shoulder straps, 3 with surface mount buckles, and one with the QwikPoint assembly guide.  I ordered it during their July 4 sale, so even with shipping it was less than $100.

They are a bit larger than I'd like, but I figure that in the extra large pockets you could fit a handgun and/or an IFAK, they'd be a great handout item to allies if SHTF, or just for training.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I ordered five to use as loaner rigs/set up for lesser used weapons like the shotguns and PS90.  All five arrived with the shoulder harness, one with the FSBS/MTV shoulder straps, 3 with surface mount buckles, and one with the QwikPoint assembly guide.  I ordered it during their July 4 sale, so even with shipping it was less than $100.

They are a bit larger than I'd like, but I figure that in the extra large pockets you could fit a handgun and/or an IFAK, they'd be a great handout item to allies if SHTF, or just for training.

Well that gives me some hope!
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter
ETA: any pics wearing it?

Quoted:
Quoted:
The sewn-in front and rear buckles on the rig itself are the 1" type, and changing them to a wider type might be problematic. I believe some of the relevant buckles on the PIG harness linked above are wider than 1", and so there might be compatibility issues.

That's what I was thinking eyeballing them.

At that point you're better off making one from scratch like you suggested.

Plus StrapWorks has a Multicam style pattern you can get.

Multicam harness with a coyote rig?
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/12/2013 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The sewn-in front and rear buckles on the rig itself are the 1" type, and changing them to a wider type might be problematic. I believe some of the relevant buckles on the PIG harness linked above are wider than 1", and so there might be compatibility issues.

what are we, tactifashaneestas now?  Are you going to say that Multicam Vans are no good save for sunday wear.

Rolling in the dirt will make this pretty much moot

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what are we, tactifashaneestas now?  Are you going to say that Multicam Vans are no good save for sunday wear.

Rolling in the dirt will make this pretty much moot

Well, call me Mr. July of the 2013 Tactifashaneesta calender then. And before all the comments start from the esteemed brotherhood here - I've rolled in the sand with rounds cracking over my head thinking "Oh good, if nothing else, this will blend the FDE of my belt to the Coyote Brown of my chest rig..." The fact remains...I was pissed afterward that my kit not only still didn't match, but now it was dirty as fuck, too...
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 3:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Ordered...says 34 left in stock
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Tacfashionista just made me subscribe to this thread.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Since there have been several pic requests...
I own one in ACU. Oddly, it doesn't have the adjustable flaps; there's no way you're closing these things on a Pmag

Fr reference, I'm very much a Medium-reg kinda guy. The adjustments straps are completely tightened as far as they'll go.. It Juuuuust fits me without being too big. Obviously designed to be clipped onto armor.

Mah Belly

Here's the best pic I could get of the back straps. Like Raf said, kind of a y-harness. It does it's job, but it's not great.

Coyote brown eh? Twenty bucks eh? I'm tempted..... Then all I'd need is one in Multicam and I'd have the full set!
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
to the guys who ordered.

is the flat rate 5$ USPS? im assuming it is...

but i live in an apartment and will be out of town all next week and dont want UPS dropping a box at my door with no one here.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#12]
No luck at the surplus store.

Looks like it's off to StrapWorks I go. I think I might try to make up an H-harness instead of trying to copy the Y-harness this uses.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No luck at the surplus store.

Looks like it's off to StrapWorks I go. I think I might try to make up an H-harness instead of trying to copy the Y-harness this uses.

Build an H-harness with a a molle panel on the back for a small hydro bladder or just get a hydro bladder and build straps off the top and bottom and cut out the molle panel all together.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you be so kind as to post pix and dimensions of the various straps and so forth, as well as pix of the entire QwikPoint assy.guide?  Please be as detailed as possible, as your doing so will be of great value to those of us who might be able to either re-create missing items, or fabricate equivalent replacement items. Also please add any commentary on what you would change or modify. If we choose to/are forced to make our own, it already seems some people are less than 100% satisfied with the OEM Y-harness and input on how to better it would be helpful. Regardless if mine comes with the Y-harness or not, I'd like to, eventually, have a new one custom made to include or accommodate a hydro pack. YMMV

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got mine in. Wondering if the TT MAV harness would work?
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This?
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This?

Yes. The straps need to be 1 inch though and I'm not sure they are. The MAV stand alone harness and the regular MAV are 1.5 inch for the front buckles and 1 inch for the back/sides. Seems like I'll be sewing something up rather than spend $40 on something I got for half that price! Really wish is have gotten the ready made harness that I know exists somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Paid $90 for a Tactical Tailor MAV setup complete with mag pouches, admin pouch and utility pouches from local surplus store. Brand new. Win.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This?

Yes. The straps need to be 1 inch though and I'm not sure they are. The MAV stand alone harness and the regular MAV are 1.5 inch for the front buckles and 1 inch for the back/sides. Seems like I'll be sewing something up rather than spend $40 on something I got for half that price! Really wish is have gotten the ready made harness that I know exists somewhere.

I have the harness in the link and the front buckles are 1.5" like you suspect. I would definitely sew up your own.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like a custom job is the ticket. I'll get what I need from rockywoods but this is just pass around gear for family/friends so not too worried. Might even snag some real harnesses from "work."

ETA Here
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#20]
No access to a computer right now, so the best I can do is a cut and paste job from my iPhone.  I think the pics on the site are big enough to understand.

https://www.kwikpoint.com/kwikpoint-store/military-visual-user-guides/usmc-chest-rig-instruction-card/
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#21]
PM sent raf. I've had the ibiley mounted to my SPC for a bit and have no use for the harness.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#22]
For those of you needing to know what the harness entails, here's some pics.
Can take more if needed.

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Build an H-harness with a a molle panel on the back for a small hydro bladder or just get a hydro bladder and build straps off the top and bottom and cut out the molle panel all together.

You, sir, are friggin' brilliant!

Your post prompted me to go dig through my gear pile to see what I had for bladder carriers before I went and bought something. I dug out one of these Camelbak carriers I got from my brother who was in the Marines (mine is all Coyote Brown so it matches the carrier perfectly).

(Not my pictures, from the linked eBay auction)

Looking at the buckles I was ecstatic to see the ones on the Camelbak were 1" and were female sided on the shoulder straps. I tried to mate up the Camelbak female to the male chest rig but no luck.

On closer inspection, here's what I found the problem was:

(The rest of these pictures are mine)

The buckle on the chest rig is solid

while the buckle on the Camelbak is slotted

The female of the Camelbak. As you can see, there is a ridge down the center (ignore the circle, I'll get to that in a second):

Out came the Dremel... I opened up the buckle on the chest rig.

Overjoyed with my level of ingenuity, I snapped the two together but found it to be a little tough. Then I found out I couldn't get the buckles apart. Turns out these ridges needed removed (now the red circles come into play):

Once those are removed the buckles snap together and remove easily. You have to be very careful not to remove too much or the male ends of the buckle won't have enough to grab onto. Too little and you'll have a bear of a time getting the two ends apart.

Here is a picture of the two ends mated:

And the setup together:

The only thing I should need to do now is replace the male ends on the lower part of the chest rig with female. I was considering replacing the male ends on the lower part of the Camelbak but the stitching on the Camelbak is nicer and I'd rather not mess it up. Chest rig on the left, Camelbak on the right:

I'll probably have to grind down that T on the center of the Camelbak male end since that looks a little wide to fit into a regular female buckle.

I don't think you could ask for a better fit of two dissimilar pieces of gear. You even end up with padded shoulder straps!

The only possible complaint I could see after mocking it up on myself (holding the lower straps of the Camelbak and chest rig together) is the chest rig ends up riding a little lower than shown in the pictures sic_ness posted. It's more around the belly area due to the length of the shoulder straps on the Camelbak and they aren't adjustable. The lower edge of the chest rig ended up about 1" above my waistline, again, just doing a rough mock up (I'm 6' tall for the record).

ETA: Looks like Rockywoods has Coyote side release buckles and StrapWorks only has black. I ordered 2 from Rockywoods and the total was just under $5 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 4:57:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks to everyone for posting pics. I'm gonna try to make my harness as faithful as possible. I'll see if my photobucket still exists so I can post pics.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Edited
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Here are some detailed pictures of the extra buckles, PC mounting straps and insert. Please bare with me as this is all done on my phone

First set is for MTV/PC, second is for the IMTV. This is sans SPC straps.

SPC Velcro mounting straps:

Replacement buckles sans the two on my carrier.

Instruction insert:

For mounting to a carrier:

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The QD buckles on the rig and harness aren't identified as to mfr, but the ITW/Fastex buckles linked by me way above, and offered by Supply Captain, will interface well with buckles on the rig/harness.  Since most of them are "field expedient repair buckles", they can probably be used to replace existing buckles (like on the Camelback unit used above), probably eliminating the use of a dremel and such.

That's one thing I considered at first but all of the buckles on the Camelbak are "permanently" sewn on and I don't think you could replace them without a lot of work, possibly damaging the Camelbak. Of course, I suppose I could have cut the buckle itself and used one of the open end replacements. Might go that route with the male ones I'm planning on replacing on the chest rig to see how that stacks up.

By the way, here's the stitching on the female buckle on the shoulder strap. The strap is stitched in two places, top and bottom, with the top stitching going all the way through the strap:

And then I already posted the picture of the male end on the Camelbak. Again, very thorough stitching.

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One could cut-off the Camelbak buckles, and substitute the 'Field-Expedient type, or do as you did.

Since most, GI gear uses ITW/Fastex-pattern buckles, having all the buckles all the same type adds to modularity and interfacing, so I usually elect to go that route when feasible.

Nothing against what you did in modifying the CB buckles.  It was very ingenious.

I was sitting here looking at the setup and replacing the Camelbak buckles might have even more merit than I had originally considered.

My chest rig came with one of the female field expedient replacements attached to the front:

And looking at the strap on the Camelbak it dawned on me that if the Camelbak female end were replaced with the field expedient type, it would eliminate the problem of lack of vertical adjustability without the stitching being an issue:

I think I'll definitely be picking up some of the field expedient replacements to do some more experimenting.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's clever of you to see that possibility.  May I suggest getting some 1" wide milspec webbing from Strapworks (linked above)?

With some buckles and webbing to experiment with, you will find all sorts of easy modifications you can make.  You can hardly have too many of those field expedient buckles, because they are so handy.

Doing some searching, there is one thing I'm having an issue with. I can't seem to locate any of the split bar, dual adjustable female ends like these in the lower right:

I'm only finding the single adjustable ones like the lower left and I'm thinking I will need the dual adjustable to maintain a positive grip on the Camelbak strap.

Any idea where I could find the split bar, dual adjustable ones? Or would I be better off just buying regular ones and trimming a slot out of the center?

ETA: Just saw the link you added to the QASMs. May have to get those if I can't find the split bar ones.

ETA2: The link for the QASMs is sold out. SKD has them though.

ETA3: Here's the part on ITW's website. They call it the GTSR Waveloc Split-Bar Body.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 1:33:05 AM EDT
[#34]
The Mayflower HHarness uses 1" buckles, works well with the TAP.

You can use a soldering iron to melt thru the center bar to make field expedient repair buckles.

The QASMs, a simple length of 1" webbing folded to the middle of itself then sewn in the middle forming loops on the ends for the QASM legs, lets you hang the QASM on the PALS webbing on your PC to snap in the male SRBs on the TAP.

SKDTac PIG Brig CR Harness uses 1" front and back legs, front with the metal ITW GHooks, which can be swapped out for a plastic SRB to mate with the male SRB on the TAP. $20

For PMags, I punched holes and set #00 black oxide brass grommets into the 2" wide mag flaps for running bungee corded mag retainers.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#35]
I just got mine, I will go through the above post to deside what i m going to do with a harness, mine is not marked not cuts or discoloration

good buy
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#36]
got one, but it didn't come with the harness :(  

Wondering if the Source Hydration Bladder pack that Uncle Sam's has for $10 would work?

When I get home to night I'll play around with it, I've got some buckles and straps and junk in a box in the closet.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
got one, but it didn't come with the harness :(  

Wondering if the Source Hydration Bladder pack that Uncle Sam's has for $10 would work?

When I get home to night I'll play around with it, I've got some buckles and straps and junk in a box in the closet.  

At that price, seems like it would be hard to go wrong, even if you had to redo the buckles.

If you need a bladder, take a look at this - Sette Wide Mouth Flopak 100oz Bladder

I needed a replacement for the Camelbak I used for this and this one was the cheapest I could find at the time but that was a couple years ago. There may be cheaper options available now. I used it a couple times just to see how well it held up and had no issues.

ETA: Looking closer at the bladder carrier, that wide mouth bladder might not be compatible with it. It's hard to tell just from the pictures. I went ahead and ordered another chest rig and one of these bladder carriers to mess with. I guess I'll see what type of bladder it needs when it gets here.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Mine should be here today as well. I also ordered the $10 USMC 3L Source carrier. Great minds think alike.
The OEM shoulder straps from the Source carrier should provide enough comfort and padding to bear the weight of 6 mags + other misc crap i.e. radio, IFAK, etc.

From their it should be an easy addition of some 1" coyote webbing on the front and sides + a few side release buckles here or there and POW, a very badass handout system for like $50
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Just ordered some 1" and 2" coyote brown webbing and a few of the slide release buckles and type E tan thread. Ill mock up a harness when I can. I hate doing this by hand but whatever. Ive got time to kill.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just ordered some 1" and 2" coyote brown webbing and a few of the slide release buckles and type E tan thread. Ill mock up a harness when I can. I hate doing this by hand but whatever. Ive got time to kill.

please post pictures whenever it is completed or at least in progress!
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol its gonna be ugly as sin bro but ok
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol its gonna be ugly as sin bro but ok

You can put blur marks over the stitching if it'll help your dignity
I just want to see the overall layout of webbing and buckles.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#43]
so do you guys think you can use the rig and this to make the rig work without a harness?

If so... i think im game.

also, did the flat rate shipping advertised come USPS or UPS? I live in a apartment and the address im sending it to will be away from all week and dont want the box sitting outside my door to get picked up
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
so do you guys think you can use the rig and this to make the rig work without a harness?

also, did the flat rate shipping advertised come USPS or UPS? I live in a apartment and the address im sending it to will be away from all week and dont want the box sitting outside my door to get picked up

That's what we've been talking about. I WILL make it work. Some mods will be required though.
Mine shipped $5 from Fedex, should be here today. Ship it to a friend if you're paranoid about shitty neighbors
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what we've been talking about. I WILL make it work. Some mods will be required though.
Mine shipped $5 from Fedex, should be here today. Ship it to a friend if you're paranoid about shitty neighbors

Yep, FedEx.

You might want to get in touch with USRO to see if it could be shipped "HFP", Hold For Pickup, at a FedEx location. If they will you'll have to give them the address of a nearby FedEx location to hold it at. We use the HFP option at work when we are shipping high dollar parts and have never had a problem going that route.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
For PMags, I punched holes and set #00 black oxide brass grommets into the 2" wide mag flaps for running bungee corded mag retainers.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/adlerarmory/IMG464-1_zps2db74d9b.jpg?t=1373881544

Do you think you could post some closeups of where you installed the grommets and your shock cord setup? I'm considering doing this mod to mine.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#48]
who knows maybe in six months some company will have a ton of "unknown harnesses" for $10
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#49]
you know what else might work is an alice gear H suspenders
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got mine today, no harness.  Rig is definitely used, but clean, and in pretty good condition.  For $26, not a bad buy at all.  

I have some ideas from this thread about what needs to be done to make this an awesome rig for me.  Pics to follow once a few odds and ends hit my mailbox.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top