Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2013 5:34:02 PM EDT
Didn't know where to post this and got tired of looking around. I wear foam ear plugs and ear muffs when I shoot. One pair of muffs is Browning, the other is Caldwell. Neither are  real expensive. I shoot primarily in a 25 yard indoor range. Sometimes the noise still gets to me, to the point one of my ears starts to hurt, literally. (this ear has its own problems) What I want are recommendations for something better than what I have. I don't care about Electronic unless they quiet things down more. I am willing to spend what I have to to quiet things down a bit.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok , it looks like I posted this in the wrong place. If one of the Mods would move it to the right forum I would appreciate it. I have to do something lest I lose an ear.
Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
get some custom plugs made and double up with some muffs (traditional or electronic).

I spent $40 on some custom plugs and they have been well worth the money....I dont exactly feel like hearing my ears ring for the next 50 years.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, thanks. Where do I get custom plugs? Brownells? Midway? etc?

And thanks again,
Mark
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of times local clubs on big "shoot" days will have a guy there making custom plugs, they will mold them to your ears. Always look at the decibel rating of your plugs and muffs. I try to find plugs that are @31db protection, and I double up with ear muffs.

I don't know what other options you have, but shooting indoors is definitely worse on your ears than outdoor ranges. if you have an outdoor range available and it is just less convenient, well, convenience vs. hearing damage......

That's why suppressors are so valuable, not so somebody can 007 people, but for the hearing protection when shooting. Wish I could have them where I live.

Good luck.

Red
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to test body armor daily at an indoor test lab so I spent a lot of time with hearing protection on.  

You'll usually see higher NRR's on the non-amplified muffs.  

I doubled up foam ear plugs and electronic muffs when shooting pistol rounds.  Went to foam plugs and non-amplified when shooting rifles.
CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Guys. For several years I lived in the country and had my own range. I could get out to 250 yards easily. Well a few heart attacks later I am now living back in town. This time of year my only option is an indoor range, as the cold air does a number on what is left of my heart. I ordered a kit to make custom plugs from Brownells yesterday after some of your answers. I may be looking for another set of muffs too. I appreciate the help.

Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top