Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2012 9:14:05 PM EDT
I am looking at a new chest rig but I've never used these. I am looking at the pros and cons on these. If there is another suggestion throw it out there.

ATS M4 modular harness
Not sure if the mag pouches are too small to put a AK mag in.

BFG Ten speed chest rig
I'm not sure why it states it can hold 6 ar mags. Are some of the pouches a double mag pouch?

PIG UCR
Can this hold a single AR mag in the pouch with enough retention when practicing with a light load.

I run a AK, a AR, and a Mini 14. I want to be able to fit the different mags. I also want to mount a IFAK, dump pouch and maybe a small GP pouch. I will mount my pistol on my belt or on a paddle.

Will this work with the PIG UCR? Will it work with a full size 1911 and XD40 tactical model? Not sure how well this would work. What is the verdict on this?
Eagle thumb break for UCR

ETA: I read that the eagle thumb break will not work with the PIG UCR on the site so scratch that. They are making one though.

There is another one that may fit the bill.
Double Decker Value combo
Not to sure about the platform it is on. I've used the tacos though so I know they are good.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm just a civi, and had a pretty elaborate chest rig set up to go with my war belt set up. I found myself using the war belt way more than the chest rig, and sold off all the pouches, and rig. It just seemed to over kill for a civi.

I still wanted a simple chest rig, for those just in case moments, and in case I needed one for classes,  so I recently bought an SOE Pals Micro rig with a monkey admin pouch, and two Emdom Immediate acces pouches. Very happy with it, and it doesn't get in the way of my sidearm draw from my belt like the big chest rig did.

IMHO, I think a small micro rig is perfect, and more realistic for a civi.

Others with allot more knowledge, and some real world experience should be by shortly also, so hang in there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the tactical tailor mav, split front, with center adapter and x harness. After being issued, owning, and messing with a lot of different set ups, this is what I found works the best.

A 3 mag pouch on each side, a fast mag in the center.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Was something wrong with the plate carrier(s)? I have an Eagle/SKD Chest Rig (basically the same as the PIG UCR) that I really like. It will hold 2x M4 mags or 1x .308 mag in each pouch. Retention was pretty good with one mag (thats all I run in each pouch), but you will lose mags if you end up upside down. The Eagle thumb break will not work with the PIG UCR, they are working on their own though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was something wrong with the plate carrier(s)? I have an Eagle/SKD Chest Rig (basically the same as the PIG UCR) that I really like. It will hold 2x M4 mags or 1x .308 mag in each pouch. Retention was pretty good with one mag (thats all I run in each pouch), but you will lose mags if you end up upside down. The Eagle thumb break will not work with the PIG UCR, they are working on their own though.

Nothing wrong yet. I'm still checking out the Woo and testing. I'm also waiting on PIG PC to arrive. I used chest rigs and they breathe better in the summer. I ran a Tac vest before in the hot summer and it can get sweaty.

Yeah I read the eagle thumb break won't work with the PIG UCR on their site. If I do go with the pig I may get the H harness adapter. How is the h harness adaptor if you guys ever used them.

ETA: I want something smaller to fit in a pack that I carry most of the time which is a 5.11 RUSh 24.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not get the x-back straps for your Woo and use it as a chest rig?  Got mine straight from HSGI in multicam in less than a week.

Bib folded down

Front and back being worn...

Link Posted: 12/6/2012 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't know they have the Multicam straps. How does it fell with the crossed straps and does it chaff your neck? I had the problem before with a similar setup.
Also do the pads help with that?
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I didn't know they have the Multicam straps. How does it fell with the crossed straps and does it chaff your neck? I had the problem before with a similar setup.
Also do the pads help with that?

When I ordered them, I requested to match a multicam Woo.  I thought I would get coyote colored but was surprised to see the multicam.

The pads do a great job of keeping it off my neck.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#8]
That's Murdock Jacquard woven MC webbing which is markedly different from the Texcel printed webbing most are familiar with.

The pro to this webbing is truer representation of the MC color way

Back to the original post, Simplicity is KEY... If you cannot find it on your rig without looking at it, you've packed on too much stuff

Simplicity drives weight. Weight drives capability, capability is driven by user fitness

A suggested serving would be. 3-4 primary, a dressing, a compass, a map of AO, a signal mirror, a flat pack of duct tape and a small SAK
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's Murdock Jacquard woven MC webbing which is markedly different from the Texcel printed webbing most are familiar with.

The pro to this webbing is truer representation of the MC color way

Back to the original post, Simplicity is KEY... If you cannot find it on your rig without looking at it, you've packed on too much stuff

Simplicity drives weight. Weight drives capability, capability is driven by user fitness

A suggested serving would be. 3-4 primary, a dressing, a compass, a map of AO, a signal mirror, a flat pack of duct tape and a small SAK

I would also maybe add a small dump pouch and 2-4 secondary mags. Maybe a flashlight in place of a secondary mag. I carry 550 in place of tape.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
TT 1 piece mav
2 rifle tacos
2 pistol tacos
double hsgi pistol mag pouch on right side for leatherman and surefire
HSGI bleeder
TT upright E&E pouch
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#11]
i prefer the old chicom. super light and very mobile. updated ofcourse. thousands of vietcong/mujahideen/operators etc cant be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Optactical has the SO tech rigs on sale.. They are bomb proof, I have ran a Callahan and a hellcat on my two tours of Iraq. Not one issue with either of the. They care a lifetime warranty and you can carry any type of rifle mag in there rigs
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Still listening to opinions and other options.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/skdtactical/Screenshot2012-12-09at55321PM.png

PIG UCR now has a Molle Bib option.  Also works with Eagle UCR when used in-conjunction with the PIG CR-UTV Upgrade Straps.

That bib is sexy. Enlighten me though, now are the 'upgrade straps' different from the ones what come with it. In briefly looking at pics, they seem to be identical.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/skdtactical/Screenshot2012-12-09at55321PM.png

PIG UCR now has a Molle Bib option.  Also works with Eagle UCR when used in-conjunction with the PIG CR-UTV Upgrade Straps.

Will this support the weight of let's say a full size 1911 on the bib? Just want to know so I don't have floppy bib when eating lobster.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#19]
One of these days I am going to grab a PIG UCR if I can ever catch them in stock. I need something simple for times I need to deploy a patrol rifle. I don't need super highend gear since it would only get used a few times a year not including training. I just need something basically to carry a handful of extra mags, a first aid/blowout kit, flashlight...that's about it really.  For the price, the PIG looks very hard to beat.

I also really like the super simplicity of the Specter Gear's M-2 Rapid Reload Chest Carrier.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Still looking at a gift for myself.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Still thinking of one of them. Oh yeah I got a gift certificate to SKD too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I tried the TT Split Mav with Xharness, it was ok.. I ended up going with a BCM 03... 4 Ar mags, 2 pistol mags, Esee 3... simple and light.  Then anything else i wanted, I put on my duty belt.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Tactical Tailor Mini MAV with a TT Fight Light 3 mag pouch, and a single mag pouch. Simple, low profile, and comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top