Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2010 10:34:53 PM EDT
I'm looking to do something low profile that could be easily covered by a light jacket, something similar to that.

I am looking for options that would be plate only, or perhaps with the BALCS cut soft armor.

Honestly, one of the options I was looking at was the blackhawk low profile plate carrier.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know of some good level III/IV plates that are cut narrow up by the shoulders? I believe they're referred to as swimmer cut, or something similar to that. I don't want to break the bank and go with a 1k+ setup, but I'd like to get some servicable plates that won't weigh a ton.

Any help here?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:20:59 AM EDT
I've never dealt with them personally, but lots of people suggest www.bulletproofme.com

I've always heard of them as "combat cut", but maybe that's just what certain people/companies called it, I don't know. Anyways, on that website it looks like their SAPI plates run about $280 each.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:14:37 AM EDT
Shooter's cut, Combat cut, whatever you want to call it is good for the front. I've ordered from bulletproofme.com and would again in a heartbeat. Their service was excellent.

For low profile you're going to have to sacrifice light weight for conceal ability. The thin plates are still made of steel. They are heavier than ceramic but much thinner. Honestly carrying stand alone plates that close to your body the weight isn't too bad. I purchased a shooter's cut front and rectangular back. I went with their carrier. I have used the Blackhawk carrier in the past. It is good to go. The Blackhawk will only fit the Shooter's cut front and rear and I wanted a full size rear plate.

Remember steel plates will cause spalling, and a lot of ceramics are in conjunction with soft armor. Every option has tradeoffs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:43:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 8:46:24 AM EDT by jinx667]
The Eagle LVAC with hold BALCS soft armor and plates and is concealable. I got mine from SKD.

You can see it in here under my chest rig.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 12:52:54 PM EDT by Marksman14]
Looks like Im going to order from bulletproof me.

They have level 4 multi-hit ceramics that are .6" thick, 8 lbs a peice and they're 230 per plate. They have level III/IV ICW plates that are 6 lbs, but plate backers are 1.3 lbs and almost 1/4 inch thick. The level 4 stand alone multi-hit ones seem to make more sense. 1.5lbs heavier, but thinner.

Going to get two shooter-cut plates so that I can run the kit with the blackhawk low-vis plate carrier.

510 or so + shipping, and I think I'll have a fairly decent SHTF setup.

Thanks for the recommendation. Once you figure out how their site works, they have some really good stuff there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:04:44 PM EDT
Any input?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:09:24 PM EDT
Even if you run Stand Alone plates, Plate backers are not a bad thing to wear with them..
Adds padding, and will absorb some of the trauma impact of the 45.70 gov that smacks you in the chest..

CXS
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:44:10 PM EDT
Thanks for the input!

I might go that route as funds allow. Obviously the plates being stand alone will be heavier than if I went the ICW route right off the bat, but I do appreciate the option of being able to just toss the plate in and go.

Eventually the plan is to get something like the eagle low-vis carrier with BALCS armor underneath for added side protection, and any added protection where the plates are is just icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:35:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:37:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By roguetrader:
try these "group buy in EE"

I'd prefer ceramic due to their resistance to splatter....and I don't see much about stopping M193 and heavier 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:38:35 PM EDT
I sometimes run the TAG HAVOC with BALCS armor and issue ESAPIs. I also have a Diamond back Tactical Fast Attack Plate Carrier with issue ESAPIs which is a more concealable. I have not tried it with plate backers but I may in the future. Right now I wear it over a Level II concealable vest.
Top Top