Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 11:25:01 PM EDT
Ok, after a couple weeks of foot patrols I have decided its time for a plate carrier. I was waiting for the Eagle PIG from SKD but its been a couple weeks and they have been backordered on both coyote and multicam so I need to go a different route. A couple guys in my unit ended up going with the diamondback tactical FAPC carrier, but I wanted to see all options before I order one.

I should be issued one here soon, but as usual the army issue carrier is complete garbage so I will be getting my own.

Ive looked at the Eagle RRV, HSGI, and diamondback setups but don't really know what to think without seeing it in person.

I just need a carrier that is lightweight, can hold side SAPI plates, comes in coyote or multicam, and sits high so I can still wear my demo belt while wearing this carrier. i have an esstac rig that I wear over my armor so internal pouches aren't necessary.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Eagle Plate Carrier w/ cummerbund, soft armor from Steve at Triad tactical.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Have you used this setup before?  I have been eyeing the eagle setups, I had an RRV just as a molle vest without the plate carrier function in iraq.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is the way to go. Add some rifle plates if you are going to seriously be in the shit. Comfy, easy to takeon/off, and durable as a motherfucker.

ETA: I really like the Tactical Tailor mag pouches, they work awesome with the eagle PC.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you used this setup before?  I have been eyeing the eagle setups, I had an RRV just as a molle vest without the plate carrier function in iraq.

Yeah, I've used both the RRV and the MBAV (I got the MBAV after Army Times said thats what the Army was going to issue in 2009 with hopes of getting to use it in Iraq but my COC said no way). MBAV has the ability to accept soft armor (ESAPIs are an in conjunction with plate, they need soft armor), and has a decent amount of real estate for pouches. Think of it as a mini IOTV without the quick release.

RRV is great as a chest rig, but you'd need to wear something under it with soft armor if you are going to use it as a plate carrier, as well as the rear plate carrier which can be hard to find. MBAV is also a bit more stable on your since its got the cummerbund.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out GreyGroupTraining.net and take a look at their vest and carriers.  They stock a good bit of Mayflower, MSA/Paraclete, and a couple of others.   I went with a vest that accepted soft armor as well.  I got a Paraclete RBAV in multicam from Grey Group.  For soft aromor I went with Velocity Systems Kevlar.     The RBAV takes stealth side plates 6"X6" or you can get a Mayflower rig that accepts 6X8s.  

Eagle is great stuff too, as is Diamondback Tactical.  

Check out the Mayflower low profile plate carrier in coyote on Grey Groups website.  It has everything you need and very affordable.  These were specially built for Grey Group and I haven't seen them anywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I've used both the RRV and the MBAV (I got the MBAV after Army Times said thats what the Army was going to issue in 2009 with hopes of getting to use it in Iraq but my COC said no way). MBAV has the ability to accept soft armor (ESAPIs are an in conjunction with plate, they need soft armor), and has a decent amount of real estate for pouches. Think of it as a mini IOTV without the quick release.

RRV is great as a chest rig, but you'd need to wear something under it with soft armor if you are going to use it as a plate carrier, as well as the rear plate carrier which can be hard to find. MBAV is also a bit more stable on your since its got the cummerbund.

And you WANT the cummerbund. It makes a world of difference when you're humping around a ton of shit hanging off that PC. The way the whole rig fits you and carries some of the load over your hips instead of all on the back/shoulders makes miles of difference when you wear it all day, everyday.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
You could also look into the Eagle Scalable Plate Carrier (SPC). Has soft armor built into it. I think the Marines were suppose to start fielding it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I really like my Eagle PC.  I do have Level IV plates but I'll need to add the soft armor for the hell of it.  I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Interested....so where can I order this MBAV, everywhere I look seems to be out.

[edit] Jesus...everyone seems to be out of carriers.  I like that mayflower low pro but there is a 21 day lead time on them.

quick question, do any of these accept the IOTFV issue soft armor? I doubt it since the IOTV is pretty big.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interested....so where can I order this MBAV, everywhere I look seems to be out.

[edit] Jesus...everyone seems to be out of carriers.  I like that mayflower low pro but there is a 21 day lead time on them.

quick question, do any of these accept the IOTFV issue soft armor? I doubt it since the IOTV is pretty big.

Regarding plate carriers fitting you IOTV soft armor panels, in a word no. You would need to obtain plate backers for use with inconjunction plates or use Stand alone plates. If you are thinking of pulling the plates from your IOTV and using them alone; like one poster already mentioned these are in conjunction plates so you can't use them w/o the soft armor behind them or your going to have a real shitty day if you get shot in them.

The Mayflower is not a plate carrier, it's a low pro amror carrier than also accepts plates. They are great kit. I have one and have worn it in 100+ degree high humidity and it was as comfortable as any armor vest could be, under the circumstances. However they are made for concealment cut armor so they will not fit your IOTV soft armor either. The other issue comes in if you did get a plate carrier and some plate backers from a company on your own, ok now you are using unauthorized armor behind your plates. Is your CoC or other leadership going to let you get away with that one? If you are getting some issue stand alone plates then this should not be a problem.
If some of your unit guys are getting the DBT and using them with some authorized armor or the plate backers then you are GTG. I've never worn DBT plate carriers but personally know a couple of units with some HSLD kinda guys using these carriers and are happy with them. Just make sure you can get away with wearing what ever you get. Does no good to order something and your CO or CSM comes up and says you can use it.

Since supply/stock seems to be a problem. Their is also the ones from BCS.BCS Plate Carrier. I've not worn their plate carrier but I do have two of their NIJ armor carriers and they are great even with plates. BCS stuff is well made and would ocnsider it very close to Eagle. These guys could prob. also make you some side plate pockets if needed.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Our Plate Carriers have had the Issue Magnum Plate Carrier's Soft and Hard armor ran in it.

Its a lot more comfortable platform..

Available at SKD and can attach a Cummerbund/Side SAPI system.

http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI_Plate_Carriers_s/86.htm

CXS
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I believe the Army issued KDH SPCS plate carrier uses the same soft armor as the IOTV.
Triad Tactical has the MBAV (he told me he was 3-4 weeks out on the soft armor inserts) in MultiCam and UCP in stock http://www.triadtactical.com/Plate-Carrier-w-Cummerbund-MOLLE.html
Dustin
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Another vote for the Eacle PCwC, with Triad backers, and lvl 4 plates.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Also take a look at the Paraclete SOHPC - comes with integral soft armor for the sides, just purchase plate backers and your good to go.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regarding plate carriers fitting you IOTV soft armor panels, in a word no. You would need to obtain plate backers for use with inconjunction plates or use Stand alone plates. If you are thinking of pulling the plates from your IOTV and using them alone; like one poster already mentioned these are in conjunction plates so you can't use them w/o the soft armor behind them or your going to have a real shitty day if you get shot in them.

The Mayflower is not a plate carrier, it's a low pro amror carrier than also accepts plates. They are great kit. I have one and have worn it in 100+ degree high humidity and it was as comfortable as any armor vest could be, under the circumstances. However they are made for concealment cut armor so they will not fit your IOTV soft armor either. The other issue comes in if you did get a plate carrier and some plate backers from a company on your own, ok now you are using unauthorized armor behind your plates. Is your CoC or other leadership going to let you get away with that one? If you are getting some issue stand alone plates then this should not be a problem.

If some of your unit guys are getting the DBT and using them with some authorized armor or the plate backers then you are GTG. I've never worn DBT plate carriers but personally know a couple of units with some HSLD kinda guys using these carriers and are happy with them. Just make sure you can get away with wearing what ever you get. Does no good to order something and your CO or CSM comes up and says you can use it.

Since supply/stock seems to be a problem. Their is also the ones from BCS.BCS Plate Carrier. I've not worn their plate carrier but I do have two of their NIJ armor carriers and they are great even with plates. BCS stuff is well made and would ocnsider it very close to Eagle. These guys could prob. also make you some side plate pockets if needed.

To be honest nobody here is wearing soft armor, just plates, not even in the issued plate carriers.  And yes, it is authorized by my command.

Anybody know anything about the Tactical Tailor TTRAC?  They actually have them in stock.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Nobody is wearing soft armor? Someone higher up doesn't understand that the issue plates do not work by themselves and they need to change policy before someone gets killed and all plate carriers become unauthorized.

TTRAC has some cool features like the quick release, but the cummerbund bunched up quite a bit on the one my TL had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top