Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 161
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah it was riding much too low; I adjusted it last night and pulled it up a few inches higher. The bottom edge of the rig without the dump is right at the top of by belly button; with the dump deployed, it's above my package.

Any higher and I'd probably have a hard time drawing my pistol unless I rearranged things to a cross-draw from the left, which I haven't ruled out yet. This whole setup hasn't even seen the range yet so I may change some things but I like the JSTAs on the ends; they're perfect and I feel like I'm getting close.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Thanks dude. So I already have the KYWI inserts, all I need is one of each of these to make it work?

7.62mm Elastic Insert

But do they make wraps for pistol inserts?
View Quote

You should just need these wedge adapters for the kywis.

https://www.8492nylonworks.com/products?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=kywi

I think haley makes a pistol insert.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By daemon734:

You should just need these wedge adapters for the kywis.

https://www.8492nylonworks.com/products?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=kywi

I think haley makes a pistol insert.
View Quote

Yeah, it says those work with all KYWI inserts, so that's all I need. One thing I noticed with the KYWI inserts though is the retention is REALLY stiff. Might try and heat those wedges up and ease the retention a tad.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Any ideas on assault packs to buy? Specifically Made in the USA is great but not opposed to foreign so long as it's not made in China. And needs to have molle on the sides and maybe the front. Has to have sternum strap as well, I don't really want a cummerbund because it would make carrying a battle belt a PITA.

Or should I stick with purchasing a USGI surplus in mulitcam or brand new? Leads to places to buy the legit real deal and not copies?

Would like to have internal space to store for a water bladder or water bottles, poncho, poncho liner, extra IFAK, rations, snacks, hatchet, possibly a folding shovel, and maybe some admin pouches to store the smaller things like batteries and chemlights. Definitely needs places to mount D60 drum pouches, M18 pouches, Esstac mag pouches, etc.

Figured I ask here instead of making another random thread.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:
Any ideas on assault packs to buy? Specifically Made in the USA is great but not opposed to foreign so long as it's not made in China. And needs to have molle on the sides and maybe the front. Has to have sternum strap as well, I don't really want a cummerbund because it would make carrying a battle belt a PITA.

Or should I stick with purchasing a USGI surplus in mulitcam or brand new? Leads to places to buy the legit real deal and not copies?

Would like to have internal space to store for a water bladder or water bottles, poncho, poncho liner, extra IFAK, rations, snacks, hatchet, possibly a folding shovel, and maybe some admin pouches to store the smaller things like batteries and chemlights. Definitely needs places to mount D60 drum pouches, M18 pouches, Esstac mag pouches, etc.

View Quote

Kifaru Xray

TAD Lightspeed

ATS RAID

TYR Huron

TYR Huron Assaulters

Mystery Ranch

SPEC OPS T.H.E. Pack

Eberlestock HiSpeed II

Agilite AMAP
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:

View Quote

Newer version

I believe that's the newer version of what you posted.

I was issued what you posted and it's tolerable.

I'd hesitate to mount a d60 to the outside. The bag isn't going to support it.

Fwiw I keep a camelback for my assault pack
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Newer version

View Quote

Your "newer" version is actually the Medium Rucksack, 72-hour bag. Meant for a frame, bigger than the assault pack.

Thy original surplus bag is what comes with the Rifleman's kit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By last_crusader:

Your "newer" version is actually the Medium Rucksack, 72-hour bag. Meant for a frame, bigger than the assault pack.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By last_crusader:
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Newer version

Hmm, I thought there was an updated assault pack. Not the one I linked to apparently but I thought it looked similar.

I remember seeing one and thinking it looked a lot better than the one I had when I was in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#9]
@daemon734, excellent recommendation bro. These things work GREAT. I put the heat gun to them and loosed the retention up a little as well.

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I need a dump pouch. Works good for me. KISS.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]
You know those super cheap Mystery Ranch THOR III packs that no one seems to have a use for?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

On board is a Tobin Sports Canyon Pro 3 man/600 lb. inflatable raft, rigid floor, oars and there are still 3 pockets left over for odds and ends.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Advance:
You know those super cheap Mystery Ranch THOR III packs that no one seems to have a use for?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20220901_174319768_jpg-2510932.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20220901_174637751_jpg-2510934.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20220901_174450656_MOTION-01_COVER_j-2510935.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20220901_174725854_jpg-2510937.JPG

On board is a Tobin Sports Canyon Pro 3 man/600 lb. inflatable raft, rigid floor, oars and there are still 3 pockets left over for odds and ends.
View Quote

That’s a very cool, and unique use!
What’s that set up weigh?

Also, I’ve made a comfortable living and retirement but I can’t classify a Mystery Ranch Thor pack as “super cheap” 😎
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 1:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#13]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:

That’s a very cool, and unique use!
What’s that set up weigh?

Also, I’ve made a comfortable living and retirement but I can’t classify a Mystery Ranch Thor pack as “super cheap” 😎
View Quote

Total weight if I had to guess is ~45-50 lbs. Since the THOR III is designed for a specific military purpose, there really aren't many practical applications in the civilian world. You can pick these up brand new for $175-220 if you are diligent. Much less expensive than the $620 MR Crewcab (which admittedly works better for its intended purpose).

I'm thinking this will also make a great drone hauler if I can find the right sized Pelican case.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#14]
My current situation for a course I'm going to in the coming days.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZsvJVG2draY3epQt5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tMRpfmz3Nwi3U2us7
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Advance:

Total weight if I had to guess is ~45-50 lbs. Since the THOR III is designed for a specific military purpose, there really aren't many practical applications in the civilian world. You can pick these up brand new for $175-220 if you are diligent. Much less expensive than the $620 MR Crewcab (which admittedly works better for its intended purpose).

I'm thinking this will also make a great drone hauler if I can find the right sized Pelican case.
View Quote

The Crewcab is also like triple the size and comes with a NICE frame.  Both of them absolutely sucked for the equipment we bought them for.  They literally blocked the fans and made the thing overheat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MRTEX:
I need a dump pouch. Works good for me. KISS.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455918/CCE4DB25-EE5A-47C4-B499-CBE2DFA6F258_jpe-2504205.JPG
View Quote

I find the TRex dump pouch bulky but well made.

The HaleyStrategic is lower profile
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks. Probably stick with esstac. My whole rig is esstac.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Final product.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:33:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 2:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#21]
Been getting more into the Spiritus stuff lately, I spend a lot of time out and about with a radio on and was tired of always wearing a full PC, so I got a spiritus rig.  I ended up wanting to expand it a bit because the PRC-163 is pretty heavy and gets really hot, so I wanted something more dedicated than an expander wing.  Ended up going with the Spiritus "thing 2".  It has internal radio pockets on both sides but I will be putting an external radio pouch on one side to let the radio cool better, and a utility pouch on the other side.

While setting it up I figure I would try some of my other placards on it, and to my surprise they worked...really well.  So now I have a base chest rig I can add any placard to from just about any manufacturer.

The offending piece of equipment, the PRC-163. With an expander wing It just gets too hot and tilts the entire rig to one side because of it's weight.  With a utility pouch on the other side filled with a nalgene or something I can easily balance it out.

Base setup...havent added the utility pouch or radio pouch yet. Just ordered extras of both to dedicate to this rig.

With actual spiritus MK5 placard and esstac kywis installed

With Esstac dedicated 308 placard

With velocity molle placard and esstac subgun setup

With esstac molle placard pulled off my JPC 2.0

Link Posted: 12/18/2022 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/221816/20221215_171858-2640099.jpg

Mostly spiritus shit with some jones tactical and kinetic stuff sprinkled.
View Quote
"not a spy"? that's exactly what a spy would say.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I think I finally have my LBE rebuilt to a point where I can live with it.

Surplus USGI ALICE belt with Y suspenders. The metal clips are removed and replaced with 550. It has an Eagle Industries belt pad.

L-R - 2 UW Gear 2x30rd mag pouches, Spec-Ops X6 pouch, A french gas mask pouch (these are great little bags for buttpacks, they have various pockets inside and two side pouches), another Spec-Ops x6, knife in Eagle Industries sheath, a UW gear Small GP pouch as a first aide bag, and a molle compass/greanade pouch.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Final product.

https://i.imgur.com/MRPPUUO.jpg
View Quote

Are these two JSTA pouches on the side? What do you keep in them besides chem lights? I'm trying to decide what inserts if any I should get for the pouch, besides a rifle and pistol insert.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By doyouquaxu:

Are these two JSTA pouches on the side? What do you keep in them besides chem lights? I'm trying to decide what inserts if any I should get for the pouch, besides a rifle and pistol insert.
View Quote

Yeah, JSTAs, and I had them modified a little to stow TQs and chem-lights on the outside; the inside keeps a range finder, IFAK, tape, paracord, and other small shit. I'm not using any inserts inside the pouches though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#30]

This is all I got so far.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Yeah, JSTAs, and I had them modified a little to stow TQs and chem-lights on the outside; the inside keeps a range finder, IFAK, tape, paracord, and other small shit. I'm not using any inserts inside the pouches though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doyouquaxu:

Ah yes, I see the elastic you added, now. Very clever. I added the Tracer Viper Panels to mine and the shock cord on the sides that helps retain the mod and keep a flat pouch can also do some minor retention of a similar type.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Nice, thanks. I was wondering why yours had the elastic and mine didn't, thought it might have been an older design. I like the pouch so far, running it on my first line belt.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#33]

I was curious if we were still doing loadout pics...I'm testing a new hot weather camo pattern this summer that I picked up on a return trip from the rockies.  I thought long and hard earlier this year about ditching the airframe, JPC, and MRB for updated kit; but I'm gonna give it all another season.

Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Day hike kit
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

I see you are a man of classic taste as well.  

M81 FOREVER.  The Lord's plaid.  Nice rig.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:54:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Maguzi308] [#36]
View Quote

Can you dig it!  Ole school, must have the knife.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#37]
My go-to set up after a match. It's important to find a way to test stuff.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Currahee:
My go-to set up after a match. It's important to find a way to test stuff.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55313/IMG_1995_jpeg-2866687.JPG
View Quote

If you’re going to have the tubular nylon on your kit I suggest securing the two running ends together either with a water knot, or have a loop on each end and connect them with a carabiner.  It’s one of those things where if you need to use it, it’s typically a thing where it has to go fast
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#39]
Originally Posted By mban2:

If you're going to have the tubular nylon on your kit I suggest securing the two running ends together either with a water knot, or have a loop on each end and connect them with a carabiner.  It's one of those things where if you need to use it, it's typically a thing where it has to go fast
View Quote
It has loops sewn in each end. Why would I want the ends clipped together? I used to keep a carabiner on the front but replaced it with grim locks, I should go back
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:39:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mban2] [#40]
We used those for dragging people, you would loop it under their arms and pull them like you are a plow horse, or to lower someone from one story of a building to another, or you do a girth hitch around an object to make a fixed line…. All of these tasks typically happen quickly.  We always kept overhand-type knots on each end that formed a bite and used a carabiner to make the line into a loop for this stuff.   It’s just one less thing to worry about or fuck up when you are moving fast in the dark/gunfight/medical emergency.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:51:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#41]
Ive dragged plenty of people with those lines, you don't want it pulling at one side or the armor is just going to try to come off the entire time. You want it under their arms or run through the molle and an even pull across the entire carrier.  A Grimloc will not hold together at all.

The only thing I don't like about the water knot is that it can come apart when shaken, so getting in/out of vehicles likes to pull it apart.  I just do a double overhand to tie it off.

Here's an older setup I used, you break the rubber band and 4 feet of pull line drops already connected to drag somebody to cover. No running lines through or around anyone (which may not work if the person is missing their arm) and no fucking around connecting carabiners in the dark.

My newer setup has an overhand knot tied off instead of a water knot (for the reasons motioned above) and the rubber band was replaced with a quick pull velcro flap I made.

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Ive dragged plenty of people with those lines, you don't want it pulling at one side or the armor is just going to try to come off the entire time. You want it under their arms or run through the molle and an even pull across the entire carrier.  A Grimloc will not hold together at all.

The only thing I don't like about the water knot is that it can come apart when shaken, so getting in/out of vehicles likes to pull it apart.  I just do a double overhand to tie it off.

Here's an older setup I used, you break the rubber band and 4 feet of pull line drops already connected to drag somebody to cover. No running lines through or around anyone (which may not work if the person is missing their arm) and no fucking around connecting carabiners in the dark.

My newer setup has an overhand knot tied off instead of a water knot (for the reasons motioned above) and the rubber band was replaced with a quick pull velcro flap I made.

https://i.imgur.com/pGIp7i6.jpg
View Quote

I used to have mine attached exactly the way you did until I went to a climbing team and we did a lot of lowering/lifting between balconies and such.   There are lots of good ways to do this, and yours is very practical for almost everything you will encounter
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By mban2:

I used to have mine attached exactly the way you did until I went to a climbing team and we did a lot of lowering/lifting between balconies and such.   There are lots of good ways to do this, and yours is very practical for almost everything you will encounter
View Quote

Ah yeah, in extraction and climbing and you definitely don't want to be getting pulled by your carrier for that.  I carry a separate line for lifting/lowering stuff and people.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Ah yeah, in extraction and climbing and you definitely don't want to be getting pulled by your carrier for that.  I carry a separate line for lifting/lowering stuff and people.
View Quote
Mine is not attached to the carrier except for quick access.

It is intended for looping under arms.  I wouldn't try to pull some by the carrier if there was another option.

if I had a team that practiced that shit regularly, with SOPs it would be run under the carrier and attached to the belt then excess gathered at the top.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Currahee:
It is intended for looping under arms.  
View Quote

For what reason?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:37:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joeviterbo] [#46]
Earlier at some point i was taught the under arms way.
Some swore by It (expecially trainers).
Not something stable or particularly usable in my opinion.
I think the way shown by daemon Is the best One.
I think someone also used a climbing carabiner to attach the lower part to a rigger or a blast belt to mitigate the armor riding up, do i remember wrong?. Needless to Say you needed a quality carrier.

We used the early Kosmo Mout lifeline, a design that could definitely be improved.

At some point we had carriers that had rescue handles attached at the end of a 2-3 feet webbing tucked into the plate bag that popped out when you grabbed the handle so you had a Little more space as the handle cleared the wounded Person neck, head and helmet. It put a lot of strain to the material, but It held securely.  I still prefer the standard One and the large webbing loop.

Edit: i forgot that the large underarm webbing loop technique was standard procedure for those african wildlife Rangers i met that run unarmored.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#47]
A webbing method I have seen that seems to work well is the following;

Run the running end under their torso just under their armpits

Take the working end and pass it through the loop at the tip of the running end

Pull the working end tight to cinch it around the body then drag.

Not sure if that makes sense the way I typed it.  The PC kind of acts as a cushion between the body and webbing. Plus cinching it tight and being under the armpits prevents the PC from pulling off.  It’s only meant to move someone from a danger area to better cover.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:07:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#48]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
A webbing method I have seen that seems to work well is the following;

Run the running end under their torso just under their armpits

Take the working end and pass it through the loop at the tip of the running end

Pull the working end tight to cinch it around the body then drag.

Not sure if that makes sense the way I typed it.  The PC kind of acts as a cushion between the body and webbing. Plus cinching it tight and being under the armpits prevents the PC from pulling off.  It’s only meant to move someone from a danger area to better cover.
View Quote

That is the best way with regard to comfort of the individual.  It isn't the best way if you are taking fire.  It takes too much time to set up and limits you to pulling a single line which means you are forced to walk backwards and it's hard to do prone if you have to crawl, as opposed to tossing it over your waist and walking forward.  It also doesn't work if the guy is missing an arm and can take more time depending on how he individual is laying on the ground.  If the arm is pinned to the ground you have to roll the guy around before you can loop the line under the armpit.

I've gone through a LOT of training iterations of this and a few live runs and the SOP always shakes out to nylon run through the carrier. You can access it with the casualty in pretty much any position.

The only revision i've made was swapping rubber bands for a velcro quick pull tab, I can get pictures of that later.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#49]

That is the best way with regard to comfort of the individual.  It isn't the best way if you are taking fire.  It takes too much time to set up and limits you to pulling a single line which means you are forced to walk backwards and it's hard to do prone if you have to crawl, as opposed to tossing it over your waist and walking forward.  It also doesn't work if the guy is missing an arm and can take more time depending on how he individual is laying on the ground.  If the arm is pinned to the ground you have to roll the guy around before you can loop the line under the armpit.

I've gone through a LOT of training iterations of this and a few live runs and the SOP always shakes out to nylon run through the carrier. You can access it with the casualty in pretty much any position.

The only revision i've made was swapping rubber bands for a velcro quick pull tab, I can get pictures of that later.
View Quote

I went to our sew shop and had the riggers make me a sheath similar to the lowering line used jumping.  I keep it rubber banded to my kit and it keeps it slightly safer from constant rubbing/sand when helps keep the integrity of the line in case you have to use it for something like pulling a vehicle or something.  TBH, a big loop of nylon is always in my emergency shit, even at home because you can do damn near anything with it
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#50]

For what reason?
View Quote
For dragging them
Page / 161
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top