Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 26
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I found one in Woodland new in wrapper on EBay for $14.95 about a month ago. I picked up 4-double MOLLE II 30 rnd. mag pouches in like new condition as well. It goes well with all the other woodland MOLLE gear I've picked up recently - patrol pack, waist pack, canteen covers, medics pouch, etc. With what some commercial MOLLE vests and mag pouches go for, this FLC vest loaded out with other GI MOLLE accessories is a great deal. Great quality at a great price.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I just died one of mine with the rit dark green dye.

Its in the washer now for the final rinse.  After it's dry I will post some pics.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 10:04:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wolfcri] [#3]
Heres how my first dye job came out...

I used a 5 gal. bucket.  I filled it half way with HOT tap water and the other half with boiling water.

I threw in the package of RIT dark green powder.

I dunked the FLC for 20 minutes and then rinsed it in warm water til the water was almost clear.  Then I washed it twice in the washing machine with detergent on warm and with the double rinse cycle on.

I hung it to dry and here she is.

Here you can compare it to the original desert tan color (how it came) and some marpat, multicam, and a blackhawk coyote if I remember correctly.

Close up of the US's and how they fade with just two washes.  I am very happy with the green color.  It is kind of a cross between Ranger Green and old OD.

And here it is with my pouches swapped over.

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
that actually doesn't look that bad.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Wolfcri

Jesus man how much gear do you have?? That last pic w/ everything behind it, looks like you could outfit a platoon
Seriously......the vest looks great, gotta find me one of those.

Z
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
its a sickness
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 10:00:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KBL] [#7]
A sickness it is....

I just picked up two NIW DCU FLC's off EBay for $15.00 ($24.00 and change with shipping). I think I'll try some of that OD dye that's available from JoAnn Fabrics.

For those looking for mag pouches for these vests, here's the stupid deal of the day:

$14.97 for FIVE new US issue DCU MOLLE mag pouches? I got my order in before it's too late.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/5-pk-new-us-military-double-mag-pouches-tan.aspx?a=556333
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome find. Any idea if they will fit an AK mag?  Cmon payday!

<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" />
<input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" />
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TexasSheepdog:
Awesome find. Any idea if they will fit an AK mag?  Cmon payday!<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" /><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" />

No, they won't take AK 30 rnd mags...they're too long and too curved. I've seen plenty of double mag pouches that will take AK mags, but not at a price like this.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By KBL:
Originally Posted By TexasSheepdog:
Awesome find. Any idea if they will fit an AK mag?  Cmon payday!<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" /><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" />

No, they won't take AK 30 rnd mags...they're too long and too curved. I've seen plenty of double mag pouches that will take AK mags, but not at a price like this.

bet they'll hold 20s though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
tag for later reading
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone on page 6 had a vest that looked like this.

https://www.mainemilitary.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2740

I was planning on ordering it, but I wasn't sure if it was true USGI surplus and didn't want to get Chinese junk.

So, is this really USGI surplus?

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
A sickness it is....

I just picked up two NIW DCU FLC's off EBay for $15.00 ($24.00 and change with shipping). I think I'll try some of that OD dye that's available from JoAnn Fabrics.

For those looking for mag pouches for these vests, here's the stupid deal of the day:
http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/164174_ts.JPG?cell=320,320&cvt=jpeg

$14.97 for FIVE new US issue DCU MOLLE mag pouches? I got my order in before it's too late.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/5-pk-new-us-military-double-mag-pouches-tan.aspx?a=556333

That's awesome! Thanks! Almost cheaper than ALICE pouches at the local surplus store.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BB223:
Someone on page 6 had a vest that looked like this.

https://www.mainemilitary.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2740

I was planning on ordering it, but I wasn't sure if it was true USGI surplus and didn't want to get Chinese junk.

So, is this really USGI surplus?

That's the forerunner to the current FLC with the zipper front. Not a bad price, but if you're patient and look around, you can probably score a new FLC in DCU like those shown on these pages. Then pick up some green dye and join the fun...

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:20:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Disco_Stu_TX] [#15]
Just got mine today, can some one post a pic of their back so I have a feeling of how low it should go? I feel like my straps are too long
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Everything is adjustable. You will need to roll up the straps and tape them off. Or cut them down a bit.

Originally Posted By Disco_Stu_TX:

Just got mine today, can some one post a pic of their back so I have a feeling of how low it should go? I feel like my straps are too long

<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" />
<input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" />
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know where I can find pouches that hold 20rd mags?  

Prefer them in camo, but o.d. will work........
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#18]
A sickness it is....

I got the mag pouches in, and I'm disappointed with the quality. The name on the back of the pouch is "Federal Textiles", which from a google search I believe is in Boca Raton, FL. The stitching is all single row and not really good quality work. The end of one of the MOLLE rows on one pouch was already undone. The cuts on folded ends of the material where it's stitched is pretty sloppy. My over-all impression is that these pouches wouldn't last long under field stress.

From the looks of these pouches my guess is that they might have been rejected by a government inspector and then Sportsman's Guide bought them up. They're calling them "US military", but they look more like made for the military and rejected as seconds. I have a sewing machine at home, so I'll probably reinforce the stitching where I can and see if that helps any. If that works it'll make the cheap price worth it...I guess.

(I'm out of town until Monday, so pics will have to wait.)  

Link Posted: 8/6/2009 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]
A sickness it is....

I got the mag pouches in, and I'm disappointed with the quality. The name on the back of the pouch is "Federal Textiles", which from a google search I believe is in Boca Raton, FL. The stitching is all single row and not really good quality work. The end of one of the MOLLE rows on one pouch was already undone. The cuts on folded ends of the material where it's stitched is pretty sloppy. My over-all impression is that these pouches wouldn't last long under field stress.

From the looks of these pouches my guess is that they might have been rejected by a government inspector and then Sportsman's Guide bought them up. They're calling them "US military", but they look more like made for the military and rejected as seconds. I have a sewing machine at home, so I'll probably reinforce the stitching where I can and see if that helps any. If that works it'll make the cheap price worth it...I guess.

(I'm out of town until Monday, so pics will have to wait.)  

Those pouches are from the RACK kits, issued to Ranger Bn.   I have a few woodland pattern pouches, same quality, edges single folded, no edge tape.  Not as durable as the old LC1 Alice 3 mag pouches, but they serve their purpose.

They were surplused because of the change over to UCP.

Link Posted: 8/9/2009 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I just picked one of these up from ebay as well.  A friend gave me a bunch of his ACU pouches.  Has anyone tried to dye the ACU to darken or green it up so to speak?  Since I dont have anything invested in the pouches, maybe I will give it a try when I dye the vest.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ripley7t: Has anyone tried to dye the ACU to darken or green it up so to speak?

Have you read any of this thread????????????????
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By zlman:
Originally Posted By Ripley7t: Has anyone tried to dye the ACU to darken or green it up so to speak?

Have you read any of this thread????????????????

Yes, all of it.  You are missing my question.  My question is has anyone applied dye to the ACU style camo pattern to darken it up.  I will be dyeing the flc, which is tan.  Pouches my buddy gave me are ACU camo pattern.  What happens to that color/pattern style if it is dropped into the green dye.  Will it darken up a bit, turn orange, etc.  I am thinking the lighter areas might turn an OD color?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#23]
BTT for an awesome thread.  Got me on in woodland for $21.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Kimber_45:

BTT for an awesome thread. Got me on in woodland for $21.

Where?... Do tell...

I got two of 'em in DCU, then dyed them and a 3-day pack (also DCU) with two packs (powder) of dark green Rit/hot water/salt in a 30 gal. plastic storage bin. They came out great (thanks to those who posted earlier in this thread), but I'd still like to get a couple in Woodland.

TIA

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
I have a BHI chest rig that I bought, but was just issued the ACU FLC. I wasn't thrilled at first, but did some adjusting and now I'd like to pick up a 2nd one either in ACU or woodland for when I get out and have to turn mine back in. I was told by my XO that he picked up his woodland FLC, 4 mag 3x pouches, and some other pouches for <$30.

I'd like to pick up one in ACU since I'll have tons of ACU when I get out in a few years.
Here's my FLC as it's set up. It's set up chest rig style and I used the space on the chest to put an admin pouch.
http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/39343/2584218580058660536S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/42834/2019259730058660536S600x600Q85.jpg
I didn't like it at first, but then I learned how to set it up and do the chest rig, and I love it.

I really like your idea to use the FLC as a chest rig set up rather than a vest! However for the mag pouches that you have on there do you have it set up so there is a 3 side by side mag pouch on each side of the zipper then two 2 mag pouches on top of each of those? I guess i should have just asked whats your total mag capacity on that particular rig?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By m4a3556:
I have a BHI chest rig that I bought, but was just issued the ACU FLC. I wasn't thrilled at first, but did some adjusting and now I'd like to pick up a 2nd one either in ACU or woodland for when I get out and have to turn mine back in. I was told by my XO that he picked up his woodland FLC, 4 mag 3x pouches, and some other pouches for <$30.

I'd like to pick up one in ACU since I'll have tons of ACU when I get out in a few years.
Here's my FLC as it's set up. It's set up chest rig style and I used the space on the chest to put an admin pouch.
http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/39343/2584218580058660536S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/42834/2019259730058660536S600x600Q85.jpg
I didn't like it at first, but then I learned how to set it up and do the chest rig, and I love it.

I really like your idea to use the FLC as a chest rig set up rather than a vest! However for the mag pouches that you have on there do you have it set up so there is a 3 side by side mag pouch on each side of the zipper then two 2 mag pouches on top of each of those? I guess i should have just asked whats your total mag capacity on that particular rig?
Thanks

I keep my mags primarily on the left as that's my week side hand for reloading. On the left of the zipper I have one 3 mag shingle and on top of that I have 2 double mag pouches. On the right of the zipper I have 1 double mag pouch. Total capacity of 9.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#27]
This is my tri color desert comouflage FLC that has been dyed with rite dye. I used 1/2 cup dark green and 1/4 dark brown liquid dye. was mix in 3gal  of boiling water with 1cup of salt. The FLC and pouches that where also tri color desert camouflage and acu all dyed in the same mix for 30 min.

FLC

Pouch

FLC with pouches

I need to get a few more pouches what color do you guys think would mach?
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 1:07:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kimber_45] [#28]
Originally Posted By CSOGA:

Where?... Do tell...

I got two of 'em in DCU, then dyed them and a 3-day pack (also DCU) with two packs (powder) of dark green Rit/hot water/salt in a 30 gal. plastic storage bin. They came out great (thanks to those who posted earlier in this thread), but I'd still like to get a couple in Woodland.

TIA

got it here.  arrived in 3 days in like new codition.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230370173178&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

some here for $10
https://www.mainemilitary.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=135&idproduct=2740
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread should be tacked.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread should be tacked.

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I love gear.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:57:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Kimber45, thanks for the links... had a busy weekend, but I'll be checking those out this week, esp. the 9.99 one, and maybe some pouches from there, too... gonna dig around that site and see what the shipping cost is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a couple of the 3 color desert ones but am having a hard time finding pouches in the 3 color desert. The only ones I have found are from EBAY. Does anyone know where they sell the 3 color desert pouches. If not what colors go good with 3 color desert. I saw the Multicam pouches on one on 1st page of this  thread and it looked alright. Does Coyote match it well? what about desert digital?
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 10:53:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: whick1] [#34]
sorry double post
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:48:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gary_P] [#35]
I have 2 of these vests both in DC. one for me and the other for the Mrs.    ok the other one for me too

this vest has 6 magazine pouches 2 canteens a ACU grenade holder I use to put my compass in and an assbag
The thing I like about the magazines is....they hold 2 mags apiece

or a single FAL / M1A 20 round magazine with no problems

Link Posted: 9/25/2009 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Wick1...try Sportsmansguide...I picked up a 5 pk  of dcu, two mag pouches about 3 wks ago...new surplus.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Great thread! Haven't been on in a while but if anyone needs to carry 12ga, the Specialty Defense Systems RACK Hand Grenade Pouch holds 12 loose or 2 5rd boxes in 2 3/4. Picked a couple up used just to try. Work great.

Jay
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#38]
after using one of these FLC's for the last 14 weeks during OSUT......They're not bad but there are better things out there.  Without an IBA I didn't like them, with I thoguht they weren't terrible but not great.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
after using one of these FLC's for the last 14 weeks during OSUT......They're not bad but there are better things out there.  Without an IBA I didn't like them, with I thoguht they weren't terrible but not great.

K1, could you describe in more detail your likes/dislikes? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By ARJJ:

Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:

after using one of these FLC's for the last 14 weeks during OSUT......They're not bad but there are better things out there. Without an IBA I didn't like them, with I thoguht they weren't terrible but not great.

K1, could you describe in more detail your likes/dislikes? Thanks.

lots of MOLLE to place pouches

the mesh on it is nice when you aren't wearing armor

weight is pretty well distributed

has the buckle in the middle of the chest, serves as a good backup incase the zipper breaks or if you want to use it to hold up your rifle by the QRP mount on your CCO

loops on the collarbone area for you to put carabiners/grimlocks.  I tied a prusik loop of 550 on there to hold my camelbak hose for quick easy access

Dislikes

the zipper in the middle is retarded, difficult to zip shut when you have it adjusted so it fits tight (i.e. no shifting) over your armor

MOLLE on the belt around the back is retarded, if you carry a pack with it on like we had to the kidney belt is right there

honeslty it's a bit heavy for what it is, but that's me being a gear queer

adjustments are a PITA, but once it's set it's g2g.

map pockets or whatever they're called inside the vest are retarded, you'll never use them

when putting it on you have to be careful not to stick your arm through the gap in the rear adjustments...you look like a retarded deformed midget trying to fix it too

the belly buckle inside the vest is retarded too, I never used it.

With a little modification it wouldn't be a bad setup, however there are better things out on the market but not in it's price range.  If I was allowed to break SOP I would have used mine as a chest rig, but my DS wouldn't let us.  At least he let me move my pouches around so when I carried a ruck my shoulder straps didn't rest on my canteens.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey thanks K1, and thanks for your service! Congrats on your blue cord!

I notice you commented on the interference between the FLC belt and the pack waist strap. When I went through ITB, our DS had us tape our kidney belt straps behind the pad, effectively eliminating the kidney pad as anything other than a back pad. Of course, we were still using ALICE gear and packs then.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#42]
one of our DS's told us to do that, the others said to use it since it's there.  The interference only plays in if you attach a pouch to the back of the belt.  if you don't then it's a non-issue....well....except for when you do use the kidney belt you have to pull it under the vest and buckle the kidney belt down there.  Of course with a ruck on the vest tends to bunch up and kind of make it look like you've got tits.  That only happens when you don't have an IBA on though, we never did any ruck marches with our IBA's for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 2:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve-oh] [#43]
Could somebody post better instructions on how to convert the FLC to a more chest rig like set up? I was just issued this and am not thrilled with it as it is, but the chest rig option where it sits a little higher and is easier to use in conjunction with IBA sounds like a huge improvement. However the belt seems to be permanently attached.

If you post instructions I will be your best friend.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Nevermind I figured it out. Looks like I'm going to be my own best friend.

Just like high school.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By steve-oh:
Nevermind I figured it out. Looks like I'm going to be my own best friend.

Just like high school.

I will be your friend, please post the instructions....
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone have a good source for the pouches and sustainment pouches for the ruck??
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bmyk:
Anyone have a good source for the pouches and sustainment pouches for the ruck??

ebay is where i've been getting all mine
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By CSOGA:

Where?... Do tell...

TIA

got it here.  arrived in 3 days in like new codition.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230370173178&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

some here for $10
https://www.mainemilitary.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=135&idproduct=2740

care to toss up a pic/review?
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By steve-oh:

Could somebody post better instructions on how to convert the FLC to a more chest rig like set up? I was just issued this and am not thrilled with it as it is, but the chest rig option where it sits a little higher and is easier to use in conjunction with IBA sounds like a huge improvement. However the belt seems to be permanently attached.

If you post instructions I will be your best friend.

I can explain it.  There is a T shaped piece of webbing on the belt that keeps the belt from moving located where it enters the chest piece.  Undo that first and undo the "suspension" to adjust the height completely.  Open up the vest and look where the belly buckle is, just back the webbing out of the side-lock buckle and the tri-glide.  At this point the belt should be fully detached from the vest and can come out.  TO turn it into a chest rig you're just going to reverse the belt so the buckles are behind you.  Make sure you put that T shaped piece of webbing back into the belt so it doesn't slide around, that is all that will keep it anchored now.  You also re-route the suspension in the back for the height adjustment as best you can.

it works for some people, not all....depends how big you are.

Link Posted: 10/13/2009 9:24:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KansanShooter] [#50]
WORK IN PROGRESS-

Here is mine. After looking at Wolfcris's first post and pics it seems mine is the exact same vest. Weird thing is that from what I have seen on here in some pics is that most of your vests were made by Specialty Defense Systems. Mine says it was mad by Michael Bianco, Inc

And after I Googled it this is what I got...

Michael Bianco Inc - 5 Managers And Nearly 500 Illegal Aliens Arrested In Immigration Bust

By Digger
Michael Bianco, Inc of New Bedford, Massachusetts openly sought out and hired illegal aliens
to manufacture goods under a federal contract for military equipment and for Coach Inc. and Timberline Co. The company had secured more than $91 million in military contracts.
Owner Francesco Insolia, 50, payroll manager Ana Figueroa, 40, plant manager Dilia Costa, 55 and office manager Gloria Melo, 41, were each charged with conspiring to encourage or induce illegal aliens to reside in the United States and Luis Tores, 45, was charged with the knowing transfer of fraudulent identification documents. As many as 500 illegal aliens were also arrested in the raid.
The 11 month investigation - dubbed Operation United Front - included an undercover ICE agent who was hired even though declaring they were illegally in the country. The payroll manager, Ana Figueroa, even instructed the agent on how and where to buy fraudulent documents like a Social Security card.
Providence Journal

The exact number of undocumented workers arrested is unclear, but officials said the number could be as high as 500.
“It is understandable that many from around the globe would want to come to live, work and raise families here in the greatest democracy in the world. However, this must be done in compliance with U.S. immigration laws - not in violation of them,” Massachusetts U.S. Attorney Michael J. Sullivan said in a statement. “Employer accountability is essential to ensuring the integrity of the nation’s immigration system and knowingly hiring illegal immigrants is a violation of law, plain and simple, and those responsible will be prosecuted.”
Why would the managers hire illegal workers? The government contends that the company “intentionally seeks out illegal aliens because they are more desperate to find employment, and are thus more likely to endure severe workplace conditions,” according to a statement.
The article details how the company abused and took advantage of employees at the company including these barbaric practices:

*docking of pay by 15 minutes for every minute an employee is late;

*fining employees $20 for spending more than two minutes in the restroom and firing for a subsequent infraction;

*providing one roll of toilet paper per restroom stall per day, typically resulting in the absence of toilet paper after only 40 minutes each day

*fining employees $20 for leaving work area before break bell sounds;

*fining employees $20 for talking while working and firing for a subsequent infraction

Since 2001 Michael Bianco Inc. grew from 80 employees to 525, apparently mostly illegal aliens if you reference the above "rules". No legal worker would go to work for a company with those rules which violate labor laws.

WTF?
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top