Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2008 2:27:22 PM EDT
I cant find a store that has this vest, so that I can feel the quality and construction.  I want to order it as I love all the camelback packs I do have.  Does anyone own one of these and have an opinion.  I did a forum search and got nothing.  

Maybe some photos of how you have set one up?  

I am planning on a 5 day pistol carbine class in NC.  I need double pistol pouches and 4 carbine pouches.  Also need a holster.  I dont want a thigh rig.  I am thinking camelback pouches also with a blackwater vest mount holster.

What think you all?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a chest rig instead.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I own one.  Its nice.  The only thing is its built for taller people.  I'm 5'8 and about 140.
With the shoulder straps pull all the way and the belt on the should straps sit a good 3 inches ABOVE my shoulders.  No other way to adjust it.  I ended up wearing it over a plate carrier which worked fine but is pointless.  Unless your taller than say 5'10 don't bother.  
On the other hand if you are that tall and don't require body armor then it might be nice for you.  I used mine once and has sat on the rack ever since.  Honestly if I were you I would just get a plate carrier.  TAG makes a great one as well many other.  I think my TAG carrier cost me about 214 bucks.  Later down the road if you ever wanted to add plates to it your good to go.  I hate to say it cause the Delta 5 is such a nice vest but with other "better" options out there thats my honest opinion.

wolf
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I am 5'5" so i guess the camelback is out.  I do like the TAG plate carrier, looks good.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]
gods man if your 5'5 it would over grow you.  Yup go with either TAG or eagle carrier.
I can give you links if you need them from people I know and trust if you want.

wolf
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Wolf!  I have been to each companies web sites but can yo suggest where to buy on the web?  Links  would be great thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure for TAG carrier Linky
For a Eagle Linky
Other guys I have orderd from and had great luck with were
SKD
operationparts

There alot of others but those are who I have dealt with lately.

Wolf
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I absolutely love mine.  Or, I did until all the additions to the IBA.

To tell you the truth, I don't understand the height restriction issue.  Of course, I've always worn mine over armor - which is where it excells.

It is a pain in the ass with shoulder armor and side plates, however, and simply not worth it with the new armor at all.

If you just want something to keep the weight of your ammo, water, IFAK, etc. off of your armor itself - it is perfect with the old standard IBA.

If you wear external hard plates, a plate carrier makes more sense.

It seems like it would make a great LBV type thing with no armor, though.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got one and I'm shorter than you.  It's an easy fix if you want to modify it yourself but don't want an external plate carrier.  I keep mine at home with some of my other gear, it fits fine over my concealable dpt. armor.

The velcro patches are pretty small, which is kind of a PITA if you want to put a department patch on the back; they don't fit and you'd have to get it permanently sewn on.

I found one webbing strap that was not sewn correctly for a molle strap to go through, other than that, it's not a bad vest.  Interior map pockets on both sides and the padding on the back of the vest between you and the internal water bladder is well done.

As far as a vest-mounted holster goes; I'm not sure how sturdy that would be for you - the zip front is going to limit options for you and it's only mesh under the molle webbing, so not so solid a platform.  Unless you have it zipped tight over armor, I think a loaded pistol + holster would flop around quite a bit on you...then again, I've got a shotshell pouch on mine that seems to hang on OK...

So here's the fix for those of us that are vertically challenged:

The adjustments straps are on the interior of the shoulder area and pull the front portion of the vest up (kind of like an exterior sleeve that goes around the back panel shoulder padding (I posted some pics for you to reference below).  Simply fold the outer sleeve inward and roll it down to the height that works for you.  It's gonna be bulky and look funny because it's doubled up.  Mark the correct positioning and then take the vest apart.  Sew a hem about 1/4" in from your marking, and another hem 1/4" past that.  Pull the excess off and cut it.  Just like hemming a pair of pants (yes, I took home ec class in grade school).  This takes the excess material out, you can adjust your vest so it fits your dimensions correctly, and you won't look like a cartoon character.

Here's the exterior sleeve after I modified them to fit:

Back:

Side adjustment straps with velcro stay straps to keep the excess rolled up:

Interior view; both sides have velcro and zippered interior pockets:

Water bladder pocket:

As you can see, I've got mine set up on the front for 6 AR 30 rounders, 3 pistol mags, a cuff case, and a shotgun shell carrier.  Dpt patch is velcro and I'll probably end up sewing it on to keep the upper RT tab in place.  Rear is simply a map pouch w/flashlight sheath and a small UT pouch.

I've got a spare duty belt with a drop holster on it for the pistol, a standard drop holster gets caught up on the side, you need the extra clearance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing to mine"hem it up".  I'm sure it would work fine until your running and then there's the chance of it coming apart.  That was something I couldn't chance plus I needed a new plate carrier with armor anyway.  I ended up giving it to the woman.  She's 5'10 and fits her fine go fig.  Your vest looks great.  Mine or was mine is about the same but I have 4 mags two on each side and a radio pouch on the left and pistol mags on the right.  When all was said and done the price was close to the same as my new carrier minus the armor.  Again nice job on your vest looks great!.

Wolf
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Love mine....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top