Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

ALICE Gear Setups (Page 21 of 23)
Page / 23
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Thinking about changing my alice set up from 5.56 to .308 G3 mags...what are my options for. 308 mags?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:20:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Metzger31:
Thinking about changing my alice set up from 5.56 to .308 G3 mags...what are my options for. 308 mags?
View Quote

The ALICE M-16 30 round mag pouches, if they don't have dividers in them.

ETA:  Three 30 round 5.56 mags per pouch, or two 20 round .308 Pmags per pouch.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

You could try these on an ALICE belt. The D ring might even work to hook on the suspenders.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017440774
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You can put a piece of closed cell foam in the bottom of the ALICE pouch to get the mags to your preferred height.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, the Navy ordered ALICE mag pouches for the M-14.  I think FMCO made a copy of them.

I use the Canadian Pattern 82 pouches.  I like their pull-tab closure system, they have full internal dividers, and they have lifting straps for each mag, as well as a waterproof lining on the cover.  If you remove the plastic interface for the Canadian belt, you can attach two slide keepers to the pouch (too narrow for something like MALICE clips, though).  They also have a velcro strap which by itself permits attachment to the belt.

I do believe there are other 7.62mm pouches that will interface with ALICE gear, whether by design or coincidence (mostly European; I think the Germans had ALICE adapters for their pouches for the G-3, and I think the later camouflage Dutch pouches for use with the FAL are ALICE-compatible).  A lot of the older 7.62mm pouches with belt loops probably won't fit over the ALICE belt buckle, though, only those on older belt models.

You can also go older to the M1956 system, which has the "universal" and M-14 mag pouches, both of which will work with 7.62mm magazines, as will the USMC M1961 pouches.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
IIRC, the Navy ordered ALICE mag pouches for the M-14.  I think FMCO made a copy of them.

I use the Canadian Pattern 82 pouches.  I like their pull-tab closure system, they have full internal dividers, and they have lifting straps for each mag, as well as a waterproof lining on the cover.  If you remove the plastic interface for the Canadian belt, you can attach two slide keepers to the pouch (too narrow for something like MALICE clips, though).  They also have a velcro strap which by itself permits attachment to the belt.

I do believe there are other 7.62mm pouches that will interface with ALICE gear, whether by design or coincidence (mostly European; I think the Germans had ALICE adapters for their pouches for the G-3, and I think the later camouflage Dutch pouches for use with the FAL are ALICE-compatible).  A lot of the older 7.62mm pouches with belt loops probably won't fit over the ALICE belt buckle, though, only those on older belt models.

You can also go older to the M1956 system, which has the "universal" and M-14 mag pouches, both of which will work with 7.62mm magazines, as will the USMC M1961 pouches.
View Quote

I do believe I may have one of those FMCO pouches. It's totally ALICE, but clearly 7.62, no grenade loops and completely devoid of markings.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#7]
My Canadian pouches are shedding their laminated layers, due to age.  Stinky, and common amongst such items of a "certain age".
Takes some finagling to make then adaptable to MOLLE/PALS platforms. "Re-conditioning" elderly gear can be done, but doing so is a HUGE PITA, and seldom worth the time/effort/expense.  YMMV.  BTDT.

In all honesty, cannot recommend such elderly CN, or other, surplus pouches.  BTDT.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I tried the one from midway linked above and it wont work. I was originally looking at the flecktarn G3 pouches but the alice adapters seem to have dried up. I'll probably just stick to the m16 pouches as they do fit 2 G3 mags and have the eyelets for the suspenders.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:02:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#9]
ALICE Adaptor For German Bundeswehr Pouches  The Mfr of these adaptors is a company called Mil-Tec.

IIRC, later Canadian pouches can be adapted to ALICE/MOLLE platforms by removing all the plastic tab projections on rear of pouch, and mounting a MOLLE K-Bar Adaptor to the pouch.  Look at both pix in link to see the fold-over velcro-secured flaps of the K-Bar adaptor.

Both adaptors can benefit from removing the ALICE clips, and substituting either Velcro One Wrap or other platform-attachment device.

Not suggesting any particular vendor, so do shop around.  Make certain that you are getting the K-Bar adaptor, not the ALICE adaptor.  They look much alike in many pix.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I tried the one from midway linked above and it wont work. I was originally looking at the flecktarn G3 pouches but the alice adapters seem to have dried up. I'll probably just stick to the m16 pouches as they do fit 2 G3 mags and have the eyelets for the suspenders.
View Quote

Bummer. What didn't work about it, so I know for the future?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By raf:
ALICE Adaptor For German Bundeswehr Pouches  The Mfr of these adaptors is a company called Mil-Tec.

View Quote

Mil-Tec is a current Bundeswehr contractor. Their stuff is good to go.

The Flecktarn G3 pouches are superb for .30 cal mags, and the closure system blows the pants off of the Brot P58/Canadian/et al... tabs. I'll go so far as to say that the German LBE was the best of its class before MOLLE came around. I have two sets and they check every box.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lew:

The Flecktarn G3 pouches are superb for .30 cal mags, and the closure system blows the pants off of the Brot P58/Canadian/et al... tabs. I'll go so far as to say that the German LBE was the best of its class before MOLLE came around. I have two sets and they check every box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:

They essentially use the same closure system, it's just the execution that differs, such as using a plastic tip for the tab to insert instead of stiffened nylon webbing.  I do think that the pull-tab closer system is the best and I wish it was more common on commercial tactical gear.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
@Metzger31 I've got 2 G3 alice adapters I can send you if you like. I know I have more, I just have to look for them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I think that many users can benefit from adding some padded/floatation inserts to the typical Alice Pistol Belt.  Such inserts greatly aid user comfort.

Unfortunately, such aftermarket add-ons also delete some space on the belt, due to snap-closed 1" wide fasteners.

Probably the best alternative is to use closed-cell GI sleeping-mat foam inserts, secured by tape or suitable cordage, such securing items being in between the pouches.

Having a padded belt is one of those things that seems like a "luxury" until you try it out.  

View Quote

Agreed.  Back in the day I ran a Blackhawk pistol belt pad on all my ALICE gear.  Not the wide (tall) one, but the shorter, thicker one that secured with velcro.  More comfortable and kept the belt secure on your body as you moved.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Any website out there besides the Equipment Exchange and Ebay you use to buy/sell vintage gear?

I've got some 2-quart canteens and some other older gen stuff I think its time to let go of.

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Hello people. Long time lurker.

This has been my to-go ALICE reference thread for a long time.

Now: I have been trying like crazy to find the Blackhawk belt pad in OD. Its obvious that they stopped manufacturing it some time ago, but supplies seem to have dried up.

Anybody knows a similar alternative? I have the posibility to get a MOLLE sleeve and call it a day, but I am looking for this pad just for the sake of "I want to build certain rig"

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ProfessionalGrumpy:

Now: I have been trying like crazy to find the Blackhawk belt pad in OD. Its obvious that they stopped manufacturing it some time ago, but supplies seem to have dried up.

Anybody knows a similar alternative? I have the posibility to get a MOLLE sleeve and call it a day, but I am looking for this pad just for the sake of "I want to build certain rig"

Any ideas?
View Quote

Tactical Tailor Duty Belt Pad
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

Tactical Tailor Duty Belt Pad
View Quote

I cannot believe I overlooked TT.

Thank you a lot sir.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#19]

I cannot believe I overlooked TT.

Thank you a lot sir.
View Quote

Happy to help.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Any ideas?
View Quote

I have bought about 1/2 dozen of the olive drab Brigade Quartermaster pads from these people. They are very good to deal with. Very customer service orientated, and plainly, just nice folks. Family owned.
https://hahnsurvival.com/products/limited-surplus-brigade-pistol-belt-pad-med-hws-e502b?_pos=1&_sid=055fc7902&_ss=r
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:

I have bought about 1/2 dozen of the olive drab Brigade Quartermaster pads from these people. They are very good to deal with. Very customer service orientated, and plainly, just nice folks. Family owned.
https://hahnsurvival.com/products/limited-surplus-brigade-pistol-belt-pad-med-hws-e502b?_pos=1&_sid=055fc7902&_ss=r
View Quote

Wow, Brigade Quartermasters. I had a couple of very, very old pouches that I inherited from my mentor, and likely are still alive and well in the hands of the person I passed onto.

Thank you for this suggestion too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PirateEC] [#22]

My old gear from back in the day.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PirateEC:
https://i.postimg.cc/8cY7N0J8/88-DBA30-C-4526-4240-B65-A-6-A4431612-EC0.jpg

View Quote

Beautiful set up, my old ALICE gear was set nearly exact.

Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Great slick setup,
My dad was issued one identical (late 80s) except for the first two mag pouches being for the 20rounders.
Still have that kit somewhere..
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Bumping this great thread so it doesn’t get lost.
It really should be tacked.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 8:48:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#27]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:
Bumping this great thread so it doesn't get lost.
It really should be tacked.
View Quote
This thread is not only "tacked" in the "Look Here First" thread atop the Tac gear forum, but I think I also toggled non-archive status as well, back when I was Staff.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Before the Dark Times... before the Empire.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Neat thread!
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Going to have to dig out my old Alice set up. Still my best for me to wear.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By recon:
Going to have to dig out my old Alice set up. Still my best for me to wear.
View Quote

Yeah, unfortunately for me, I no longer have the size 28 inch waist that I had in 1990.

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 12:05:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: recon] [#32]
Your right. Me either! Gained a few pounds in the process. I wore that set up like 36 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:48:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#33]
it would be ideal if we could all lose weight and get back to ideal weight.  Easier said than done., and I include myself.

ALICE pistol belts came in different sizes, and slightly adjustable within size group.  

One will need to go through a good many ALICE pistol belts to find one that is a "Large" size.  BTDT.  Most Pistol belts were Medium sixe.

Add-on, non-GI "Kovatch" clip belt extenders also available in differing sizes, usually made for wearing the "properly-sized" Pistol belt over winter clothing.

Google "Alice Belt Extender".

Most Alice pistol belts are quite a hassle to properly adjust, thus the add-on "Kovatch" extension.  I always liked some sort of padding between me and the belt, which adds to the length/size/girth of the pistol belt.  YMMV, but such padding greatly adds to user comfort.

Having a "too-long" pistol belt is heavier but allows limited future adjustment.   The Kowatch clip/Extender allows much greater girth of the pistol belt in order to accommodate heavy winter clothing.

Haven't tried it but seems to me that an adjustable replica of Kovatch clip could be made with appropriate ends/buckles, some appropriate nylon webbing, and a couple of appropriate Tri-glide buckles.  Thread the ends of the webbing back through the Tri-glides to "lock" the whole assy.  Simple.

Suggest avoiding early-issue OG OEM plastic buckles and substituting common Fastex buckles of appropriate size. Original GI OG plastic buckles units not liked by the troops using them, and black Fastex buckles were used in later GI pistol belts.  Far easier to detach, and more durable.

Admittedly, I've not tried to make an adjustable Alice Blt Extender, but I reckon such an add-on could be fairly easily made, and very useful to some folks.  I've made much more complicated "no-sew" stuff, FWIW.

Another alternative is finding a proper width modern-made belt which replicates the stiffness of the GI pistol belt, but which can be bought in proper size.

Given the inherent drawbacks of the original GI pistol belt, such modern belts might be a significant upgrade compared to GI-Issue units.  Allow a very long "tail" to the belt to accommodate added winter clothing.

I suggest going with an entirely new belt, instead of adapting the GI Pistol belt.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:54:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#34]
A bit of a thread revival. Using this thread as inspiration, I managed to get at LBT 8-pocket 'Alice' pack onto a MOLLE/Down East frame (awesome pics of what it looks like).  Took a little dremeling to get the waist belt to fit; I initially tried the outside slots but couldn't get the strap to fit, so had to cut the inside one as well.  Currently right around 50-55 lbs in it, I've probably rucked around 60 miles in it.  Unfortunately it pulls back a bit, but it's loaded with ammo and text books, so not the most ideal weight distribution (the ammo boxes fit nicely into the pockets).

Nothing really new or amazing, just using a different ALICE-type pack onto a MOLLE frame.  This pack originally came with an ALICE frame.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Pics of attachments to frame.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:27:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#35]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
A bit of a thread revival. Using this thread as inspiration, I managed to get at LBT 8-pocket 'Alice' pack onto a MOLLE/Down East frame (awesome pics of what it looks like).  Took a little dremeling to get the waist belt to fit; I initially tried the outside slots but couldn't get the strap to fit, so had to cut the inside one as well.  Currently right around 50-55 lbs in it, I've probably rucked around 60 miles in it.  Unfortunately it pulls back a bit, but it's loaded with ammo and text books, so not the most ideal weight distribution (the ammo boxes fit nicely into the pockets).

Nothing really new or amazing, just using a different ALICE-type pack onto a MOLLE frame.  This pack originally came with an ALICE frame.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20230320_104519_jpg-2752924.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20230320_105525_jpg-2752927.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20230320_105446_jpg-2752928.JPG

Pics of attachments to frame.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20230320_104628_jpg-2752930.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20230320_104701_jpg-2752933.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20230320_104639_jpg-2752935.JPG
View Quote
If memory serves, I think I did something similar, although not sure if my particular LBT 6-pocket pack had a detachable lid.  IIRC, I think I used a spare MOLLE 2 waist belt in lieu of the LBT waistbelt in order to avoid needing to modify the frame.

Left the LBT waist belt on the ALICE frame that came with the pack and attached some decent USGI LC-2 shoulder straps.  Along with an ALICE frame metal shelf and some 1" QD straps, I have a way to carry metal ammo cans or a 5-gal can on the ALICE frame.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#36]
it would be ideal if we could all lose weight and get back to ideal weight.  Easier said than done., and I include myself.

ALICE pistol belts came in different sizes, and slightly adjustable within size group.  

One will need to go through a good many ALICE pistol belts to find one that is a "Large" size.  BTDT.  Most Pistol belts were Medium sixe.

Add-on, non-GI "Kovatch" clip belt extenders also available in differing sizes, usually made for wearing the "properly-sized" Pistol belt over winter clothing.

Google "Alice Belt Extender".

Most Alice pistol belts are quite a hassle to properly adjust, thus the add-on "Kovatch" extension.  I always liked some sort of padding between me and the belt, which adds to the length/size/girth of the pistol belt.  YMMV, but such padding greatly adds to user comfort.

Having a "too-long" pistol belt is heavier but allows limited future adjustment.   The Kowatch clip/Extender allows much greater girth of the pistol belt in order to accommodate heavy winter clothing.

Haven't tried it but seems to me that an adjustable replica of Kovatch clip could be made with appropriate ends/buckles, some appropriate nylon webbing, and a couple of appropriate Tri-glide buckles.  Thread the ends of the webbing back through the Tri-glides to "lock" the whole assy.  Simple.

Suggest avoiding early-issue OG OEM plastic buckles and substituting common Fastex buckles of appropriate size. Original GI OG plastic buckles units not liked by the troops using them, and black Fastex buckles were used in later GI pistol belts.  Far easier to detach, and more durable.

Admittedly, I've not tried to make an adjustable Alice Blt Extender, but I reckon such an add-on could be fairly easily made, and very useful to some folks.  I've made much more complicated "no-sew" stuff, FWIW.

Another alternative is finding a proper width modern-made belt which replicates the stiffness of the GI pistol belt, but which can be bought in proper size.

Given the inherent drawbacks of the original GI pistol belt, such modern belts might be a significant upgrade compared to GI-Issue units.  Allow a very long "tail" to the belt to accommodate added winter clothing.

I suggest going with an entirely new belt, instead of adapting the GI Pistol belt.  YMMV.

View Quote

You can buy a new USGI Large pistol belt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By recon:
Any one know where I can something similar like this.
View Quote

Your link posted says they have ten in stock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Should of stated I need a bigger size than medium.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Just for gits and shiggles

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#41]

These were 5$ specials when Alice was falling out of favor.

Suspenders and large belt fed pouches are from Tactical Assault Gear. triple pouches and buttpack from London Bridge trading, Duty belt with padding is unknown. Radio pouch is Eagle idustries.

It is not comfortable however, very wobbly if loaded full weight, as pouches don't have all the belt support they need.

A shout to these LBT ammo pouches. At the time they were like 15$ for 4 pieces and aside from the rounded buckle that is stiff and uncomfortable the heavy rubber layer inside makes them sturdy, lasted 2 deployments without problems (not worn in this style of belt kit obviously).
https://militarystripes.com/product/london-bridge-trading-m4-m16-mag-tactical-belt-pouch-no-tags-or-labels-lbt-0280/
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Anyone done a “malice” mod kind of like this one?
The Mini Malice Pack: Medium Alice Pack Mods
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jharpphoto:
Anyone done a “malice” mod kind of like this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pisSD4QUqlc
View Quote

That medium ALICE is beautiful.   I have spent money on some the best wiz bang packs and I'm thinking of just Fo'ing it and going to a Medium Alice with the Malice MOD like that, but waiting to see what Crossfire's new DG3 is going to look like first.  

If someone could do a detachable assault pack in place of the Medium ALICE's top flap cover it'd be perfect for me with the MALICE Mod.  Also, I really wish I could get a medium ALICE in Multicam.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

U.S. Army Jungle School instructors are still running ALICE belts and suspenders and frankly I think it's still the better option over the more modern initerations I've seen like the ridiculously expensive Vertx jungle belt set-up.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 3:29:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: recon] [#45]
View Quote

That is my exact set up that I had in the Army. I still use that one today but with H-straps instead. Just fits right

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#46]

If you see this, how do those 4 cell mag pouches work out on a belt, are they too heavy or sit funny? Or are they usable? I'm trying to find a good way to set up a alice belt to run AK gear. Or if anyone else has any ideas chime in please.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By VinceMeal:

If you see this, how do those 4 cell mag pouches work out on a belt, are they too heavy or sit funny? Or are they usable? I'm trying to find a good way to set up a alice belt to run AK gear. Or if anyone else has any ideas chime in please.
View Quote

Alice compatible, made in the US.

https://www.charleyssurplus.com/ak-47-ammo-pouch.html
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:37:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#48]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
View Quote

Charley’s Surplus in Chicago used to sell the Navy M14 pouches but it looks like the finally depleted their supply.  They looked like the M16 Alice pouch but had a single divider running side to side rather than the two dividers running front to back.

FMCO were making a similar pouch but without the grenade wings but FMCO was closed and up for sale last I checked including all their patterns for gear which was an extensive catalog.

There was a seller on Ebay that was making a similar 7.62 pouch to the FMCO version but I’m not sure he’s still there.  He made the pouches in all different colors and camos with the Alice style buckles.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By VinceMeal:

View Quote

They're defiantly usable. You just have to work to get them on the belt in the first place. This setup is basically permanent. Otherwise the ride and functionality are great.
Page / 23
ALICE Gear Setups (Page 21 of 23)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top