User Panel

Site Notices
ALICE Gear Setups (Page 17 of 23)
Page / 23
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MDOhmart:

That's the ingenuity and detail I come here for. Excellent post, sir!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MDOhmart:
Originally Posted By AKASL:
Made a few more Mods to my Medium Alice Pack.

*snip*

That's the ingenuity and detail I come here for. Excellent post, sir!

Thank you sir!

I had an opportunity to load my Med. Alice up with gear and ammo and take it for a test hike. The ruck worked perfect with the MAPS panel installed. The only drawback I found was that I could only place soft items in the internal pouch of the ruck. If I loaded the pouch with anything other than soft items then the cut out in the MAPS Panel would be pressed outward toward the shoulder straps and create an uncomfortable bulge in the middle of the ruck.

All in all I liked the way this pack performs now and I don't have to worry about the frame hitting my rifle and scratching the finish off when I have the rifle slung over my shoulder.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone have a preferred vendor for picking up a couple medium Alice packs with frames? Used is fine, so long as it is in good servicable condition.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Old Grouch Surplus. He's one of us.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
a lot of good gear in this thread
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bumping an awesome thread to keep it alive
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:10:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Adirondack1] [#6]
COPES has some parts like waistbelts, shoulder straps and frames CHEAP!
COPES
They also have size large ALICE Packs for 12 bucks....
LARGE ALICE
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azratt] [#8]
Very helpful....picked up a Alice frame with 2 radio shelfs for 35.00 bucks
Old Grouch...good people..
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]
AED Time?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Maguzi308:

AED Time?
View Quote
Just let it die

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Just read through the entire thread. Very cool! Last week I was lucky enough to inherit a truck load of mil surp my FIL had stashed in his garage. Included were three Alice load bearing suspenders with belts and large rear pouch. Also received about 16 3 mag pouches and a bunch of canteen setups. 8 or so plastic med kits in the canvas pouches and one rucksack with frame.
How can I tell which size Alice pack this is? Do I need to remove it from the frame or is there a stamp someplace? Thanks for any info!
Also where is a recommended place to pick up a couple cheap compatible holsters for the Alice belts? need a couple for 1911's and one for m9.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Metal0-1] [#12]
The easiest way to tell the pack size is to look at the front. If it has three pockets on top with snaps on them and the three regular pouches then it's a large. If it only has three pouches across the bottom then it's a medium pack. And as far as holsters the USGI m12 should work for you.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:36:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#13]
Originally Posted By MaydayMalone:
Just read through the entire thread. Very cool! Last week I was lucky enough to inherit a truck load of mil surp my FIL had stashed in his garage. Included were three Alice load bearing suspenders with belts and large rear pouch. Also received about 16 3 mag pouches and a bunch of canteen setups. 8 or so plastic med kits in the canvas pouches and one rucksack with frame.
How can I tell which size Alice pack this is? Do I need to remove it from the frame or is there a stamp someplace? Thanks for any info!
Also where is a recommended place to pick up a couple cheap compatible holsters for the Alice belts? need a couple for 1911's and one for m9.
Thank you.
View Quote

If the pack has 3 external mag pouches with snaps above the cargo pockets it's  a large. If it just has the cargo pockets it's a standard size or some people call it "medium". Only "small" I've  ever seen are commercial made overseas and are junk.

EtA: beat...
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies! I am the proud new owner of a large Alice pack. Off to the inter webs to learn all about this new gear!
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:19:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#15]
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread has been a WEALTH of information!
Here's my (almost worthless) contribution:
The compass / first aid pouch will hold two Glock 19 mags (barely).

I surely would not use this little pouch as a proper mag carrier, but as a carrying pouch to reload your pistol mag carriers....
These little pouches are all over the place, and they're usually pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
So I found this thread and followed the link to Old Grouch Surplus. I was going to buy a Hellcat setup, but have since found an ILBE Marpat in a pawn shop here in town. Missing the lid and has a broken buckle, but I can probably get it for $50. Is there a thread here dealing with this more modern stuff?

Looking for a second pack to drag stuff around hunting deer out west.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
So I found this thread and followed the link to Old Grouch Surplus. I was going to buy a Hellcat setup, but have since found an ILBE Marpat in a pawn shop here in town. Missing the lid and has a broken buckle, but I can probably get it for $50. Is there a thread here dealing with this more modern stuff?

View Quote

I've seen the lids, and the kit that has the replacement buckles, show up from time to time, on the Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet website.

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 4:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#19]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By raf:

Ditto the recommendation for USRO, and you might also consider Ebay.  That said, this is a thread about ALICE items.  I would very much prefer that it was confined to that topic.  

You strongly suggest posting a separate topic/question on Tactical Gear Forum, where you might get more responses.

In any event, be advised that the USMC ditched the ILBE not because it was a comfortable pack--which it is-- but because it did not interface well with body armor.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JPN:
Originally Posted By flinch08:

I've seen the lids, and the kit that has the replacement buckles, show up from time to time, on the Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet website.

Ditto the recommendation for USRO, and you might also consider Ebay.  That said, this is a thread about ALICE items.  I would very much prefer that it was confined to that topic.  

You strongly suggest posting a separate topic/question on Tactical Gear Forum, where you might get more responses.

In any event, be advised that the USMC ditched the ILBE not because it was a comfortable pack--which it is-- but because it did not interface well with body armor.

Thanks for the info. Found the lid on eBay. If I buy it I will start a thread.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:31:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JeffHam] [#22]
So I just found a Medium ALICE pack without frame in a box of stuff that hasn't been opened in two or three moves. I don't even remember where, when, or how I got it. I've never used an ALICE pack or gear, so this thread has been extremely informative. I don't really need another pack so I don't want to dump much money into a new project, but I'd still like to make the pack more usable. The MOLLE II shoulder straps, waist belt, and MSS seem to be found cheap enough to work towards a "Hellcat" modified pack, but that leaves the frame. DEI 1606 frames and even GI surplus frames are on the side of being too expensive for something I don't really have a purpose for. But surplus 1603 frames can be found cheap right now. I thought about doing the "Bobcat" mod and using LC2 shoulder straps, but by the time I purchase those, I'd be most of the way to getting a frame and the MOLLE add-ons.

Has anyone cut down a full sized 1603 frame to fit the medium ALICE? I found this forum post while looking for an answer to the question, but it's foreign and Google translate sucks. From the photos posted on the forum it looks workable but I'm not sure how strong it would be.

http://www.tactical.pl/forum/index.php/topic,66195.msg316305.html#msg316305

Has anyone done this?

Or am I wasting my time?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 5:22:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#23]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Yes, I've made an ALICE Hellcat using the 1603 frame, and it works well with either size ALICE pack.  Your frame should look just like this:http://downeastinc.com/Products.php/?Link=1603.  Be prepared to compare the pic with a prospective purchase.

The frame will have molded-into it, near the bottom, exactly which frame type it is.  Hard to see if the waist belt is still attached. The DEI 1606 and 1603 frames are fine for ALICE retrofitting, with the 1603 fitting the Lg ALICE better, and the 1606 fitting the Med better.  However, either will do with either pack.

DO NOT buy any MOLLE frame other than these frame numbers, as the older (almost always BLACK) frames were found to be deficient, hence the re-designed (and different number) frames.

View Quote

Awesome! Thank you for the reply. Did you cut the larger frame down at the top so that it would fit inside the medium ALICE pack's frame sleeve, or rig it up some other way? The only other resource I found regarding this was a YouTube video showing how to tie the ALICE pack to the 1603 frame with paracord, which seemed workable, but a bit on the hokey side (not that chopping up a frame ment for something else isn't).
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:26:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#25]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=1656

Medium Alice, about $11 from USRO after 30% off Memorial Day Sale.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JeffHam:

Has anyone cut down a full sized 1603 frame to fit the medium ALICE? I found this forum post while looking for an answer to the question, but it's foreign and Google translate sucks. From the photos posted on the forum it looks workable but I'm not sure how strong it would be.
View Quote

Yep. Cut a 1603 I got for free into something resembling a 1606.
IIRC it took about half an hour with a jigsaw.
As for the strength, I don't know if cutting it weakened it appreciably. But since it was going on a Medium, and I"m getting too old, it's never going to be packed too heavy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 5:23:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=1656

Medium Alice, about $11 from USRO after 30% off Memorial Day Sale.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Bought one in a weak moment
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:38:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nipster74] [#29]
I thought about buying a couple.
Then I saw my closet...
Two Alice Large on standard frames
One Medium no frame
One Hellcatted Medium and one Hellcatted Large.
Two Molle s..

I need another ruck, like I need a home in my head..

Although the woodland would have gone on a Hellcat..
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:10:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: assaultdog0351] [#30]
Someone just pointed me in the direction of this thread, need someone to help me spend my money. The ALICE frame on my Tactical Tailor ruck is nearing the end of it's life and I need something to replace it. So far on the radar is the 1606, the tactical tailor frame, the tan MOLLE... are there any other to consider? Ruck gets abused and see 65-90lb, ruck runs, tossed around, etc. Not looking for another ALICE frame.

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Is it just the rivets breaking or the metal itself failing ?

Rivets can be replaced.

CHECK THESE OUT
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 11:55:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: assaultdog0351] [#32]
Originally Posted By 1fromtx:

Rivets can be replaced.

CHECK THESE OUT
View Quote

The rivets are breaking, but also the whole frame itself bent quite some time ago... I am almost certain old U.S.G.I. frames were not meant to sustain heavy rucks. If you look at the side shot, the top end is bent back.

Does the 1606 fit a tactical tailor ruck? Can they sustain, worst case scenario, a 100lb ruck getting tossed around?
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Ok, missed that.

Check the ones in the link.

I still use an Alice Frame on my Blackhawk Ruck but if it ever goes I'll try those.

Some people have used the Mystery Ranch Nice Frame and give good reviews on it, your just going to pay a lot .

Having said that, if you use a lot, that cost may be well worth the price of the Mystery Ranch Frame.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:22:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#34]
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#35]

I suggest the DE 1606 MOLLE Frame, with Enhanced  MOLLE shoulder straps, and MOLLE waistband would be ideal for your TT ruck, as long as your TT ruck attaches in the same way a GI ALICE pack attaches to the frame.  The Enhanced MOLLE shoulder straps are very seldom seen in coyote brown, and are almost always in Woodland or desert camo.  The shoulder straps differ from Standard MOLLE shoulder straps in being curved in order to better accommodate body armor.  I suppose that would also include very heavy clothing as well.  If these things don't matter to you, then the standard MOLLE shoulder straps and waist belt can be found in 3-color desert, and can be easily dyed to a very close approximation of coyote brown.  The 1606 iframe will also allow attachment of a MOLLE Modular Sleeping System (MSS) carrier to the underside of your TT ruck, as long as your ruck has the same webbing strips (as found on all GI ALICE packs) sewn into the bottom of the ruck.  This gives you the option of a separate, removable carrier/pouch/compartment for your sleeping gear.  A very desirable addition to any ALICE-type ruck  The desert camo MSS carriers can be dyed, same as the waist belt and shoulder straps.

The latest iterations of the plastic DE frames have been tested--DE used to have vids-- and shown to withstand more abuse than the GI metal frame.  I believe the vid showed a fully loaded ruck (they mentioned the weight--it was pretty heavy) being tossed from some height, maybe about 6 feet or so, onto the corners of the frame, its' weakest points.  Metal frame was junk, and the plastic frame was GTG.  Can't speak to the new-and-improved TT metal frame, which is much better made than the GI metal frame, but rather pricy.

MOLLE Enhanced desert shoulder straps: https://www.amazon.com/Enhanced-Shoulder-Straps-Desert-Surplus/dp/B00CHSR1AA

MOLLE Desert waist belt:https://www.amazon.com/Army-Molle-Desert-Molded-Waist/dp/B006UBSXSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470508382&sr=8-1&keywords=molle+waist+belt+desert

MOLLE desert MSS carrier:http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/military-issue-unique-items-odds-and-ends/military-bags/molle-ii-sleep-system-carrier-3-color-desert.html

See my thread on dyeing with Rit dye in Tactical gear forum.  I reckon you will need about 6 BOXES (not bottles) to dye the stuff to coyote brown.  With some luck and some experience, you will get a shade so close you can't tell the difference.  BTDT.
Might want to buy some inexpensive GI desert pouches to practice on.

Look for posts by Enforcer in this thread about how to attach the MOLLE stuff to the DE frame and set it up.  One thread of his was on using an ALICE frame with MOLLE gear, and IIRC, a later one showed how to attach MOLLE stuff to a DE frame.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By assaultdog0351:

Rivets can be replaced.

CHECK THESE OUT

The rivets are breaking, but also the whole frame itself bent quite some time ago... I am almost certain old U.S.G.I. frames were not meant to sustain heavy rucks. If you look at the side shot, the top end is bent back.

Does the 1606 fit a tactical tailor ruck? Can they sustain, worst case scenario, a 100lb ruck getting tossed around?

I suggest the DE 1606 MOLLE Frame, with Enhanced  MOLLE shoulder straps, and MOLLE waistband would be ideal for your TT ruck, as long as your TT ruck attaches in the same way a GI ALICE pack attaches to the frame.  The Enhanced MOLLE shoulder straps are very seldom seen in coyote brown, and are almost always in Woodland or desert camo.  The shoulder straps differ from Standard MOLLE shoulder straps in being curved in order to better accommodate body armor.  I suppose that would also include very heavy clothing as well.  If these things don't matter to you, then the standard MOLLE shoulder straps and waist belt can be found in 3-color desert, and can be easily dyed to a very close approximation of coyote brown.  The 1606 iframe will also allow attachment of a MOLLE Modular Sleeping System (MSS) carrier to the underside of your TT ruck, as long as your ruck has the same webbing strips (as found on all GI ALICE packs) sewn into the bottom of the ruck.  This gives you the option of a separate, removable carrier/pouch/compartment for your sleeping gear.  A very desirable addition to any ALICE-type ruck  The desert camo MSS carriers can be dyed, same as the waist belt and shoulder straps.

The latest iterations of the plastic DE frames have been tested--DE used to have vids-- and shown to withstand more abuse than the GI metal frame.  I believe the vid showed a fully loaded ruck (they mentioned the weight--it was pretty heavy) being tossed from some height, maybe about 6 feet or so, onto the corners of the frame, its' weakest points.  Metal frame was junk, and the plastic frame was GTG.  Can't speak to the new-and-improved TT metal frame, which is much better made than the GI metal frame, but rather pricy.

MOLLE Enhanced desert shoulder straps: https://www.amazon.com/Enhanced-Shoulder-Straps-Desert-Surplus/dp/B00CHSR1AA

MOLLE Desert waist belt:https://www.amazon.com/Army-Molle-Desert-Molded-Waist/dp/B006UBSXSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470508382&sr=8-1&keywords=molle+waist+belt+desert

MOLLE desert MSS carrier:http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/military-issue-unique-items-odds-and-ends/military-bags/molle-ii-sleep-system-carrier-3-color-desert.html

See my thread on dyeing with Rit dye in Tactical gear forum.  I reckon you will need about 6 BOXES (not bottles) to dye the stuff to coyote brown.  With some luck and some experience, you will get a shade so close you can't tell the difference.  BTDT.

Look for posts by Enforcer in this thread about how to attach the MOLLE stuff to the DE frame and set it up.  One thread of his was on using an ALICE frame with MOLLE gear, and IIRC, a later one showed how to attach MOLLE stuff to a DE frame.  

Excellent post, I think I might be sold on the 1606 frame. I don't ever use waist belts so duct tape and isomat will do , but I like how there is back padding built into the enhanced molle shoulder straps, the TT shoulder padding is a little lacking
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#36]
When you order, call Downeast, specify the 1606MM USMC/US Army Airborne 4000 Pack Frame, it is a little beefier than the 1606AC, it has some of the slots left solid to increase the strength in areas the first FILBE Frames cracked under use, same price at Downeast.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:12:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#37]

View All Quotes

Rivets can be replaced.

CHECK THESE OUT

The TT straps he has are pretty awesome. I have the same. I can see how the MOLLE might be better with the integral padding on the yoke but my TT straps are pretty thick.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By tsg68:

The TT straps he has are pretty awesome. I have the same. I can see how the MOLLE might be better with the integral padding on the yoke but my TT straps are pretty thick.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tsg68:

Rivets can be replaced.

CHECK THESE OUT

With a regular frame the padding on the TT is small enough to not cover the frame... or mine is just compressed down. With the 1606 the padding that is on the TT might actually do some good. Only one way to find out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#40]

The integral shoulder and back padding on the MOLLE shoulder straps is necessary for user comfort when using any of the DE MOLLE frames, as one will discover if attempting to use ALICE-type shoulder straps, such as the TT shoulder straps.

As far as not wanting to use the MOLLE waist belt, remember that it is a load-bearing waist belt, and the user can take a lot of the weight off his shoulders when using the belt.  It allows greater comfort and endurance.  Give it a try; I think you might be impressed with the result.
View All Quotes

Excellent post, I think I might be sold on the 1606 frame. I don't ever use waist belts so duct tape and isomat will do , but I like how there is back padding built into the enhanced molle shoulder straps, the TT shoulder padding is a little lacking

The integral shoulder and back padding on the MOLLE shoulder straps is necessary for user comfort when using any of the DE MOLLE frames, as one will discover if attempting to use ALICE-type shoulder straps, such as the TT shoulder straps.

As far as not wanting to use the MOLLE waist belt, remember that it is a load-bearing waist belt, and the user can take a lot of the weight off his shoulders when using the belt.  It allows greater comfort and endurance.  Give it a try; I think you might be impressed with the result.

I might give the shoulder straps a go to see how the weight distributes on my back, but I am VERY anti-waist belt...  I can't stand them; might be a mental block, but I feel like it makes each step forward a little more difficult due to the load on the hips. I might be able to compensate for that over time, but my shoulders have already compensated for having no waist belt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

I see what you're saying.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:08:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: randybill] [#42]
recommendations for alice shoulder straps?

Here's my rig- TT frame, TT straps, TT belt and large alice.  current training load 45lbs.  I do NOT use the belt as intended- I train this way so I may quickly take my pack off if needed.  The belt is more like a pad for my back.  anyways.

Issue i'm having- the top center of the frame rubs a hole in my back.  it takes about 3 miles and then it's past body toughening...  I borrowed a buddy's TAG shoulder straps and BAM!  no more holes in my back.  TAG doesn't carry their straps anymore.  What other options do i have and/or where do i find NOS TAG shoulder straps?

I'm considering MOLLE II or FILBE straps but don't care for how low an alice will ride without the use of frame bayonets.  The simple solution if they were still in production would be buy some TAG straps.  I'd even trade someone my TT straps for TAG straps.

Please advise.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:27:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By randybill:

Here's my rig- TT frame, TT straps, TT belt and large alice.  current training load 45lbs.  I do NOT use the belt as intended- I train this way so I may quickly take my pack off if needed.  The belt is more like a pad for my back.  anyways.

Issue i'm having- the top center of the frame rubs a hole in my back.  it takes about 3 miles and then it's past body toughening...  I borrowed a buddy's TAG shoulder straps and BAM!  no more holes in my back.  TAG doesn't carry their straps anymore.  What other options do i have and/or where do i find NOS TAG shoulder straps?

I'm considering MOLLE II or FILBE straps but don't care for how low an alice will ride without the use of frame bayonets.  The simple solution if they were still in production would be buy some TAG straps.  I'd even trade someone my TT straps for TAG straps.

Please advise.
View Quote

The gentleman a few posts above recommended to me the enhanced MOLLE straps. I had the same issue as you and threw some iso mat in there with tape as a cheapo fix... it shifts around but works better than noting. Before I go on a new strap journey I might cut open the padding compartment of my TT pack and stuff some neoprene in there and see how it does.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I also do not use a load bearing waist belt. I find that is pushes down on my hips. If I am walking slow it doesn't bother me much, but rarely am I moving slow and it takes more effort to get a nice long stride.

Where do you normally have your waist straps, sitting on the hips or higher and more-so around the stomach?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:45:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#46]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#48]

A possible reason for this problem is that you are carrying a moderately-loaded pack and not using a load-bearing weight waist belt.  Since all the weight of the heavy pack is on your shoulders, you naturally lean forward, and the frame comes into contact with your body, causing your problem.

A load-bearing waist belt, properly fitted and used, would allow you to carry an even greater load with better comfort.  Such would allow you to walk more upright, in a better posture, and also provide room between the top of the pack and your body.  I have read your reasons for not wanting to use such a waist belt, and with all due respect, I think you are making a mistake.

I might add that the USMC and the US ARMY both currently field packs which use load bearing waist belts, and practically every civilian pack I have seen carrying 45 pounds or more has a load bearing waist belt. In fact, I think it almost impossible to find a long-range hiker without such a waist belt.

I suggest you reconsider.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By randybill:

Please advise.

A possible reason for this problem is that you are carrying a moderately-loaded pack and not using a load-bearing weight waist belt.  Since all the weight of the heavy pack is on your shoulders, you naturally lean forward, and the frame comes into contact with your body, causing your problem.

A load-bearing waist belt, properly fitted and used, would allow you to carry an even greater load with better comfort.  Such would allow you to walk more upright, in a better posture, and also provide room between the top of the pack and your body.  I have read your reasons for not wanting to use such a waist belt, and with all due respect, I think you are making a mistake.

I might add that the USMC and the US ARMY both currently field packs which use load bearing waist belts, and practically every civilian pack I have seen carrying 45 pounds or more has a load bearing waist belt. In fact, I think it almost impossible to find a long-range hiker without such a waist belt.

I suggest you reconsider.

thank you for your suggestions.  I agree that using a waist belt would fix my issues.  however i'm just looking for different straps that I may try out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I also do not use a load bearing waist belt. I find that is pushes down on my hips. If I am walking slow it doesn't bother me much, but rarely am I moving slow and it takes more effort to get a nice long stride.

Where do you normally have your waist straps, sitting on the hips or higher and more-so around the stomach?
View Quote

my waist strap is buckled to itself behind the pack so the belt padding is just at the hips.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Don't know if it's been posted here, but the SPEC OPS HUMP hydration carrier is on sale for $9.95.  I ordered a few to add hydration bladders to my Alice gear.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/h-u-m-p-hydration-utility-multiple-platform.html
Page / 23
ALICE Gear Setups (Page 17 of 23)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top