Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:51:18 AM EDT
Anyone get one of these yet?  Review?
Patrol Bandoleer

The other option i've found is the Maxpedition Thermite.  Reviews said that it holds 4 M4 mags.

What do you all think?

Maxpedition Thermite
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with the Maxpedition.  I read a review that said it could fit 5 M4 mags in the main compartment.  So that is one more mag than the PB plus one more carry option plus it doesn't look as "tactical" as the PB.
My MMV.
We'll see
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks like a drop leg fanny pack.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
To be honest it kind of is.  It can be worn as one or worn over the shoulder.  I was looking for a grab and go mag bag.  The only other option that I found that suited me was the Patrol Bandoleer from Eagle Industries, or the Maxpedition Toadstool.  The thing with the Toadstool is that to get the pistol mags on the sides, you have to purchase the pouches separately to the tune of 24 each.  So it adds a ton of money to the cost.  The other added bonus to the Thermite is that there are two carry options.  One being the over the shoulder, and the other being around the waist with the optional leg band, that if that works, then you can attach mag pouches to....  But it is then a drop leg fanny pack that holds five M4 mags plus 2 pistol mags.  Plus I can use it not in that role if need be.  It is not as obvious to me as a piece of "kit" as the Patrol Bandoleer.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#4]
those look like purses.  but i do understand the purpose.  how about a bandolier or saw drum bandolier for cheap.  or a flexible belt with single mag shingles on it.  you could use it is a belt or over the shoulder bandolier.  they will be noticed, but so will the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to be ordering an Patrol Bandoleer very shortly.  I only wish they did other colors without having to order 25.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
keep in mind that mention of 4-5 m4 mags was to indicat the relative VOLUME of the bag vice its utility.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#8]
eggrolly, i'm not sure I understand what you mean, can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
eggrolly, i'm not sure I understand what you mean, can you elaborate?

He means it's not designed to hold magazines, they just used the "5 M4 magazines" description to put the interior volume into terms that everyone can understand and visualize.  It's tough to tell someone "interior volume of 50 cubic inches" if they don't really have an understanding of how big a cubic inch is.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I got that 5 M4 mags measurement from a person on this board who actally uses the Thermite for that purpose - as a grab and go.  
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=271288&page=2

Half way down the page - the Thermite is covered by the rifle.

Thank you Ridge for the idea on using the Thermite

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Update:

I got the Thermite.  Definately fits 5 30rd Mags with Ranger Plates inside the main compartment.  This is one more than the Patrol Bandoleer advertises.  I think that this bag looks less conspicuous than the PB as well.  It is very well made.  I also like the fact that it can also move down and act as a drop leg pouch as well.  The other thing that is not advertised is that the leg strap buckle also fits the shoulder/belt strap.  I am a pretty big fella at 6'5" and the shoulder strap didn't extend quite long enough for the bag to hang low enough.  The leg strap easily comes off and snaps in to the shoulder strap and extends it quite a bit.

Overall a very nice, adjustable piece of equipment that is very versatile.  Good for range use.

Pic with the 5 mags in the main compartment.

Pic with 30rd Mag for Size
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
The Thermite pack is great.  I use mine to hold 4x 30 round AK mags very discreetly, along with a small IFAK, a pair of 1911 mags and a surefire.  Turning the mags upside down is a must though to get them out quickly.

AKTactical
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's what I went with for a grab and go:
Killer Gear GO-BAG

Quoted:
those look like purses.

Hey, Jack Bauer carries a purse. Uh, I mean go bag.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#14]
"Hey, Jack Bauer carries a purse. Uh, I mean go bag."

hahaha.    Damn.  

I like the idea of that or a similar product for use in vehicles- in the rare event you need to leave the vehicle you just grabe the bag, but the only problem is I bet I would forget to.  

Another cool idea is to use those for ammo re-supply, carry your regular ammo and supplement it with stores of loaded magazines in go-bags ready to grab in the vehicle for the rare not-probably-going to happen event that might require the extra ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top