Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 8:40:51 PM EDT
Well guys, Uncle Sam will be returning my overly taxed funds to me later this week, and I'm looking to take a step into the tactical nylon arena.  I'm looking to build a LBV-type MOLLE rig (I really like the CTD Hydradtion carrier vest (MOLLE-137).  My experience has been that this positioning of the pouches right above the belt line works great on my barrel chested frame.  I want to set the vest up for a basic 2nd line setup, AK-47 and 1911 pistol.  I'm not certain about these open top bungee pouches and whether they'll hold an AK mag or not.  I'm looking to put a total of 4 pistol mag pouches for approx 4 pistol mags, as well as surefire and knife.  I'm looking for suggestions from the more experienced!

AKTactical
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I am also setting up a rig for AK and 1911.  First thing to warn you, many pouches WILL NOT work with an AK mag.

I have a Hellcat MK2, the body of which is very similiar to the rig you are looking at.  You can fit AK mags in it, although with the way the top of the mag angles I suspect the bungee might not work.  But The mags will be pretty darn secure.  For $40 that chest rig is probably worth a try, as it is cheaper than most the inidivdual mag pouches for the AK.

As for Molle AK mag pouches, Blackhawk, HSGI, and Patriot Performance Materials all make them. CTD says that their 6-AR mag pouch will hold 4x AK mags, but I have tried one out and with 2 mags in each pouch you have maybe 1/4" of velcro engagement on the flap.  The mags are REALLY, REALLY tight in the pouch too, but maybe it would loosen up a little over time.  Being that the "first line" manufacturere pouches are $25 for a dual AK mag pouch and the CTD pouch is around $12 for a quad AK mag pouch, it might be worth buying one to try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top