Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 8:28:44 PM EDT
I am about a month out from being a father and am on the lookout for a nice small sized BACKpack to use as diaper bag. My wife and hike alot and would beusing it for general duty but also for outdoors activities with the baby this summer. I need something to carry a couple days worth of baby gear so im thinking something in the eagle 3 day size. Also can we get this under a hundred? I saw some packs from a compnay called Dakine at the local sports authority this weekend and they seemed feasible and really nice for the 50-80 range. ANyone ever run one of these?

Thanks in advance fellas.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
does the diaper bag really have to be tactical?
ETA: you should get a tactical vest with all the mag pockets to hold bottles and quick release snaps for the num, num.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
holy shit.
arfcom has just reached critical mass.
tactical diaper bags?

ETA: check out maxpeditions line of products.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me be a bit more clear. My back sucks so it has to be a backpack. I do not want one of the shoulder bags with like 3 main pockets,blah. I dont want a jansport backpack without alot of options. I want something i can work with that comes in a nicer color for me at least. IE woodland,OD,etc etc.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
see post on Lightfighter...

http://lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9036044533/m/5621024902/r/8001038412#8001038412
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
well, that didn't work, let's try this again...

lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9036044533/m/5621024902
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with the Maxpedition Jumbo S-type (left side use, keeps my right hip clear for the Glock 23.)  Write up and a few pictures on LF.net.  lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9036044533/m/8891060022

That doesn't address your need for a backpack though.  2 to 3 days of baby supplies?  Kifaru MMR or EMR!    Diapers are bulky, and you'll be going through 5 to 10 per day with a newborn.  Seriously though, I would suggest a panel loader like the Kifaru Marauder with pockets added internally for organization.  However, that pack totally breaks your budget. www.kifaru.net/MGmaraud.htm

NOT a flame:  Oh, I don't think you'll really be doing any multi-day hikes as a family this summer, or much hiking at all......

PS - I've got two daughters, 2.5 years and 4 months.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I started with a backpack and a bunch of other goodies, fold up changing mats, etc, but after a while, I found the best thing to have as a diaper bag, was a big canvas bag.  

Digging through pockets to try and find stuff each and every time was a PIA.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I started with a backpack and a bunch of other goodies, fold up changing mats, etc, but after a while, I found the best thing to have as a diaper bag, was a big canvas bag.  

Digging through pockets to try and find stuff each and every time was a PIA.  

A big +1 on this.  I take it this is your first.  Congrats!  I just had my third ( a boy, FINALLY!!).  

You'll start out with every accessory under the sun packed into the thing, and in about 2 weeks you'll sort out the stuff that matters and the stuff that don't pretty easily.  Much more than a few bottles, wipes, diapers, change of clothes, and a general purpose blanket/wipe cloth and it's excess for some time out of the house.  For anything longer you're packing the minivan full anyway!  

Oh, and sorting through pocket after pocket after pocket to find out "...grumble....grumble....where did that go....grumble" is a definate no go.....just put it all in the center compartment if your wife will let you get away with it.  Tactical Infant Domestic Deployment Gear, what a mess!

Tom  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
well whatever the case may be i definitely need a back pack. it would be nice to be able to carry the things like powdr ointment etc that i recall needing with ym sisters kids.

ETA: as for hiking. my wife is 71/2 months now and i cant keep her from going hiking. shes a moron for hills and the outdoors
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
well whatever the case may be i definitely need a back pack. it would be nice to be able to carry the things like powdr ointment etc that i recall needing with ym sisters kids.

ETA: as for hiking. my wife is 71/2 months now and i cant keep her from going hiking. shes a moron for hills and the outdoors

Keep the pack simple. Trust me on this.  

As far as hiking when preggo, it is not a big deal.  There was a lady that ran the Mount Marathon while 7 months pregnant.  Be happy that she is healthy enough to still do that sort of thing while pregnant, many women cannot. I'd be fookin' proud of her if I were you.  

PS baby powder is the Devil.  Breathing rock dust is not a good thing.

PPS....Congrats!

Quoted:
A big +1 on this.  I take it this is your first.  Congrats!  I just had my third ( a boy, FINALLY!!).  

You'll start out with every accessory under the sun packed into the thing, and in about 2 weeks you'll sort out the stuff that matters and the stuff that don't pretty easily.  Much more than a few bottles, wipes, diapers, change of clothes, and a general purpose blanket/wipe cloth and it's excess for some time out of the house.  For anything longer you're packing the minivanSuburban full anyway!  

Oh, and sorting through pocket after pocket after pocket to find out "...grumble....grumble....where did that go....grumble" is a definate no go.....just put it all in the center compartment if your wife will let you get away with it.  Tactical Infant Domestic Deployment Gear, what a mess!

Tom  

Exactly what I went through.  The second kid things were so much easier (and cheaper) since we had a clue about what we were doing and what we needed.

Life is alot easier when you open the bag, see all its contents, and can reach in and grab them.  

Other items that we bought and hated....Backpack carriers, cribs, toddler beds, cheap car seats, and big toys.

Items of infinite usefulness:  Receiving blankets, kitchen towels, paper towels, Kirkland brand baby wipes, washcloths, rags, old t-shirts, cut up sheets, (see a trend here?) and having a showerhead that is on a hose.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Items of infinite usefulness:  Kirkland brand baby wipes.

I'm going to disagree with you here.  I find the Kirkland brand wipes from Costco to be terrible.  They are thin and flat (no quilting) and don't do a very good job of cleaning without using multiple wipes.  I also don't like the pouch they come in.  I get the Huggies brand from Costco (a little bit more expensive, but not much) and they work much better.  Thicker (retains moisture better) and the quilting helps with the cleanup.  Also, since they are more "bulk packed" I can refill the diaper bag containers easily (the thin plastic clamshell) or refill the big tub at the changing station.  I'm sure you could pull the Kirkland wipes out of the pouch to fill the clamshell, but it isn't very convenient.

Just my experience.

As far as the bag goes, I have it organized with "a place for everything, and everything in its place" setup.  I know that if I need wipes, they are in pocket X, if I need diapers, they are in pocket Y.  Tablets?  Front pouch.  Etc. etc.  But my wife says I'm a little OCD when it comes to being organized...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Items of infinite usefulness:  Kirkland brand baby wipes.

I'm going to disagree with you here.  ...

They recently upgraded them.  They are more "quilty" than before.  I also like the packaging, it was pretty handy.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Let me be a bit more clear. My back sucks so it has to be a backpack. I do not want one of the shoulder bags with like 3 main pockets,blah. I dont want a jansport backpack without alot of options. I want something i can work with that comes in a nicer color for me at least. IE woodland,OD,etc etc.

Translation:

I do not want to appear as a "girly man."

Forget it, Man....

You cannot fight it. You will look like a "daddy," no matter what color/type your diaper bag is.

There is one thing you MUST resist at all costs....the Tan Minivan.

Nothing screams "I sold out my manliness" more than a tan minivan.

Enjoy fatherhood. It is really cool (especially when your child gets a little older and you can BS with them).
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#14]
A proper tactical diaper change includes two important details:
1. Dry the bottom of the baby before affixing the diaper.  Use a "changing towel" for this purpose.

2. Paint that ass with a 3/4" long ribbon of ORIGINAL DESITIN.  There is no substitute.  Do not argue.  Buy several tubes and use it at every change.  

If you follow these simple steps you can take diaper rash off your list of new problems.

Good luck on your mission!

I would give you advice on how to carry all these supplies, but geez!  The trick is to get HER to carry this stuff, leaving you to lug the man supplies.  Like beer, meat products, ammo, etc.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
a truly tactical baby would just piss and crap their BDUs diapers and continue on with their mission.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
i have no doubt with the proper training the baby or tiny miniature operator will be able to fix her own diaper/assruck within a few months.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i have no doubt with the proper training the baby or tiny miniature operator will be able to fix her own diaper/assruck within a few months.

by 6 months they can and will destroy anything and everything, I hear they grow out of it around 21...years or so...

There will be no packing the diaper bag so long as they are in need of one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've been useing a Spec-Ops "T.H.E. Pack" (in ACU) for Nealon2.0. The "2X" mag pouches are perfect for bottles, I use a "4X" mag pouch for toys/etc.  and the "OP-Order" pouch for medical supplies. I have sub-loads on the inside with everything I would need to keep the kid clean/warm/fed for 72 hours.

www.cavalryarms.com/gear/babybag-1.jpg
www.cavalryarms.com/gear/babybag-2.jpg
www.cavalryarms.com/gear/babybag-3.jpg
www.cavalryarms.com/gear/babybag-4.jpg
www.cavalryarms.com/gear/babybag-5.jpg

little stuffed animals in a tactical bag. That is so cool
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Pack Review: Maxpedition Monsoon
I actually referred to it as my tactical diaper bag...

Garryowen, that's awesome. You really have that thing packed out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#21]
The Maxpedition Monsoon is a great pack when you're hauling the kid around. Just the right size and still looks tough. Although that Spec-Ops pack looks pretty bad ass. If I ever feel the need to drag my kid to the suck I'll be throwing his wet wipes and mini MRE's into that bad boy!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#22]
If you decide on monsoon from Maxpedition let me know I can give you a quote.  I use the Jumbo versipack for short trips.  Its big enough to carry two or three diapers with bottle, wipes, formula,Glock 21, two 13rd mags, and a little room left over.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Its big enough to carry two or three diapers with bottle, wipes, formula,Glock 21, two 13rd mags, and a little room left over.

Just make sure you know what you're pulling out when it's feeding time. Don't wanna put the barrel in the baby's mouth by accident or draw down on someone with a bottle of Similac.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#24]
well in my case the worst is she will get a mouthful of a glock 22 mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top