Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 2:02:18 PM EDT
Hi guys,  Need some feedbacks how is their quality?  Are they the same as SOE gear?  I have a original SOE patrol vest & it is very well made & now need a couples of accessory/mag pouches wonder should I order it from them(BDS Tactical)?   Thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
M4Gunner

Go to the man himself.  He can be reached over at Getoffthex forum

http://getoffthex.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/463106881
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have their 6-mag "Stacker" pouch. Good quality, though I take it they have split from John Willis who was one of the original guys at SOE. John Willis is now offering many of his designs direct now, so you have that option too.

The BDS mag pouches are very tight. If you are using the old-school Magpuls that slip over the mag they will not fit in the mag. However, the lids are adjustable so you can use them with Ranger Plates, H&K mags and stuff that is a little longer than normal. Also, you can go through John Willis who will do custom gear for whatever your needs are; but I imagine the delivery time is a bit longer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#3]
M4gunner---dont you post on some other forums? I recognize your name. What pouches do you need? I designed and chances are that I built parts if not all of the vest you have. Do a search on some of the other forums and you will be able to answer the questions that you have asked. There are lengthy threads out there on this topic.

Barthomew---Here is my six mag shingle.

Thank You
John Willis
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys & the man John Willis!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to be clear, I've got some SOE gear from several years ago when John was running things and some more recent gear from SOE/BDS after John was out of the picture and the new stuff isn't in the same class as the real thing.  If you want the good stuff then follow the link that Stevie posted and get it from John.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#6]
While the new stuff migt not quite be perfectly up to the standards of the all handmade by one of three guys SOE (my 1911 thigh rig and mag pouches are from '02), I have two newer BDS pieces from mid-'05 and they are still very acceptable pieces of work. I love my 2-quart cover with the 40mm loops on it, it's a rather specialized piece most people will have no use for (I'm a 203 grenadier among other things) and I couldn't find anywhere else.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
While the new stuff migt not quite be perfectly up to the standards of the all handmade by one of three guys SOE (my 1911 thigh rig and mag pouches are from '02), I have two newer BDS pieces from mid-'05 and they are still very acceptable pieces of work. I love my 2-quart cover with the 40mm loops on it, it's a rather specialized piece most people will have no use for (I'm a 203 grenadier among other things) and I couldn't find anywhere else.

Sure you could. You can get them from me. The guy that sat down and made the patterns. The guy that can tell you why they are made that way. The guy that originally designed them with a couple of guys from bat. recon at midnight after a late night dinner.

Im not sure what you meen by one of three guys. My My biggest focus was and is quality control. No, I dont have 35 sewers right now but when I did  there where never any issues and realy we operated just the same then as we do now.

For those with no use for 2qt covers with 40mm on them I also make covers with utility pockets or smokes on them. They are also made left or right handed.

John Willis
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#8]
John,

I have seen pictures of some of your gear posted here-and-there on various forums, but is there anywhere I can geta  good overview of all the stuff you make?  I realize taht a lot of it is custom or semi-custom, but it would be helpful to see some of the stuff you currenlty make, i.e. I had no idea you had canteen covers with 40mm loops until reading this trhead.  

I have a  feeling there is a lot of "wow I would have never though of that " stuff you make and would love to see more of it.

[ETA] email sent with some questions on "rallyman" pouch.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I am operating on such a tight budget (both time and money) that ever thing I have is going into building gear and what little is left is going to y kids. I will have a site up in the near future. I post pictures on the forums and prety much use that for niow. I built soe into a multi milion dollar company soley on word of mouth and the forums. I basically build every thing I did at soe. I dont have all of my patterns so as I repattern I am making slight changes and improvments. Of course there are also a few new items. I totaly hear what you are saying and will get some thing together soon.

john
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am operating on such a tight budget (both time and money) that ever thing I have is going into building gear and what little is left is going to y kids. I will have a site up in the near future. I post pictures on the forums and prety much use that for niow. I built soe into a multi milion dollar company soley on word of mouth and the forums. I basically build every thing I did at soe. I dont have all of my patterns so as I repattern I am making slight changes and improvments. Of course there are also a few new items. I totaly hear what you are saying and will get some thing together soon.

john

No problem, I understand.  And from what I understand the old SOE product line is a pretty good base point to understand the kind of gear you are making.  

Besides, I think everyone can agree your time is better spent building gear for those who need it (and know what they want) than getting a fancy website set up so gear queers like me can browse.  

Dawg
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#11]
John, I didn't KNOW that then. Hell, the only way I'd heard of SOE in the first place was I walked into Lightfighter outside Gate 5 at Campbell and asked Brad "What have you got that will take a 1911?"  He had one of your 1911 holsters in stock and I was willing to pay the extra ten bucks (at the time) over a Blackhawk because I could get two single-stack .45 mags into the pouch and I couldn't in the BH. Then I only heard about the SOE/BDS switchover when I hit the web site. But the next time I need something weird, I know to call you directly. Can't take any more time than BDS took  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
M4Gunner

Go to the man himself.  He can be reached over at Getoffthex forum

http://getoffthex.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/463106881

+1 on geting it from John he is good shit and GTG!

I have some very old pieces of gear that take all of my abuse and come back for more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top