Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 1:58:07 PM EDT
Design a gear setup that will hold all your weapon gear, food and supplies for at least a week on foot.  You would want something that is free moving so you can shoot and move but also be able to walk at least 100 miles comfortably through the woods and hills.  

Would have to carry 1 weeks worth of food, water, ammo, sleeping and camping supplies, and what ever else you would need to get by.  

I am trying to do the same but Im having problems going with a vest of some sorts along with a 3 day assault pack, or jumping into a bigger pack along with say a MAV.  

You would also be caring say an AR and a side arm.  

Please let me know what you would do.  

Thank you

Vedubin01 (armchair commando)
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the General Forum and then the Survival header for more feedback.  The Equipment Exchange might have a vendor who may consider custom orders as well.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, here is my setup:

Line 1 gear:
Kimber TLE/RL with Surefire X200 in a low-ride holster strongside with xtra mags on the holster
Low-ride dual M4 mag pouch on weak side, all held up by a heavy duty riggers belt
Pockets stuffed with essentials, i.e.  Energy bars, combat folder, gloves, etc.

Line 2 gear:
HSGI Woosatch with pouches to hold 8 M4 mags, 2 .45 mags, my Gemtech supressor, and a large utility pouch.  In the UP, I have more food, a couple of knives, firestarter, paracord, multitool, etc.
I also keep a Camelback 3L in a TT hydration carrier on the rear of the plate carrier.

Line 3 gear:
I have an ALICE medium pack that I fill with MRE's, extra water, extra clothes, socks, boots.  I also have a poncho, sniper veil and a cooking setup along with other stuff I can't remember.

If you set your geat up this way, it is much easier to keep it all organized and it allows you to fight & survive to the bitter end.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]
A 3 day pack might not be what you are looking for.  Check out Kifaru's larger packs.  The weight is very well distributed and the packs are very well designed.  A good rule of thumb for long term operations where you are expecting to be cut off from resupply is to keep the esentials on your person and don't touch them!  You could survive with little food per day (think half a metex protien bar or less).  Take several protien bars (as many as would fit in your pocket) and wrap the wrappers with 100 mile per hour tape.  The wrappers are kinda foily and will make noise when moving.  The tape deadens the sound.  In the same pocket, keep a laminated survival guide.  In another pocket, keep survival essentials.  Survival tins can be purchased for about $25 and will include waterproof matches, wire saw, button compass, fishing line/hooks, firing starting materials, etc.  Take all these items out of tin and discard it.  Place the items in a ziploc bag and tape it up too for the same reason as already mentioned.  Also, keep a small water bladder in a pocket along with a high-vis marker panel and a starflash signal mirror.  A Silva Ranger compass is a good dependable compass that should be tethered to your pocket along with a multitool.  A few extra magazines for the weapons you are carrying should also be on your person as well as a map of the area preferably printed on silk, but at least laminated.  A solar water still is another good bit of kit to keep on you along with some 1st aid supplies.  

Second line would be a MAV or SKD/Eagle chest harness, or possibly a BDS Tactical vest.  This would carry my mags, water, and a tactical medical kit.

Third line would be a large Kifaru pack for everthing else.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Real simple:
1st line CCW 226 with spare mag, flashlight, knife.
2nd line
I have a vest system that carries immediate survival and ammo supplies + my  M4 carbine
includes
8 extra AR mags, 100 rds boxed 5.56 backup
3 spare Sig mags (47 rds total)
multi tool
compass
IFAK
MRE
space blanket
knife
fire starting gear
fishing gear
camelbak pouch.

3rd line- Large ALICE pack, with 3-5 days supplies and materials for shelter and more ammo.

I can add armor, helmet, and other tactical gear if necessary.

everything stays packed and ready to roll.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
For those sorts of distances and time periods you're really going to need a bigass pack.  Also, unless you're superman you simply cannot carry an entire weeks worth of water, let alone food, ammo, weapons, etc.  You live in FL - get a backpacking filter along with a backup like iodine tabs, for you water.

Furthermore, moving that far, that fast, carrying what you need to live PLUS what you need to fight, is pushing it very very hard.

+1 on Kifaru packs.  Keep in mind that if you want to be going anywhere cold, you'll need much more room for stuff.

TT MAV's should work fine with rucks.  That's what I use mine for.

Mostly, your problem is you need to get out and backpack as much as possible.  You'll learn fast what you need, and what is really important -- stuff like good socks and boots, how to save weight, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top