Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 5:24:17 PM EDT
Do manufactures of Tactical gear have difficulty producing, supplying, and providing availability have real issues in today’s market or not?

Just wondering, it seems that most of the high-end gear manufactures are not very well stocked. Is it because of the cost, or is it because of demand?

What are your thoughts about the business of tactical gear in the market?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If  I may enlighten towards my thoughts , but not be the thoughts of other gearmakers .
HSGI consist of 2 shops . Each shop has approx. 12 to 15 employees each . We have a 5 day work week , 8 to 10 regularly , 12+ hours a day on at least 1/2 of it's staff   .
I can say that we do suffer growing pains as HSGI gear grows popularity each and everyday . Demand over production is our worst enemy I must say . With the failure of issue gear , command has allowed many service  personel go out and buy their own gear . In the past , they were restricted to use issue gear  . Along with gamers , contractors , collectors , and armchair commandos , the request for more gear has taken it's toll on the manufacturer , raw good suppliers and everyone concerned .
  Just before the end of the year , HSGI not only has added  new items , but 3 new color patterns to the sewing tables . Not counting other countries patterns . Persay 5 new coor patterns X ( times ) each item it makes , either advertised or not advertised .
 Then there is the factor of rising cost in materials . Most of all cordura's , buckles , and threads are petroleum based . Higher gas , higher raw goods to produce the gear . As new companies arises , they do not produce their own gear , but have other companies already in the industry OEM there gear . Making the stock level of existing gear less on the shelves .
 I beleive that there is not one gearmaking company out there that is not doing there best to provide to the community . It's in my opinion , more users looking for something better than issue gear .  There is more training going on now more than ever to provide better protection in this world . I have notice more training schools poping up everywhere as well as those schools wanting to sale gear as well . HSGI has at least 3 training facilities that it supplies to . Even the dealers have increased their orders as well . From what the small time dealers whom average about $2,000.00 orders every month or two , are now ordering that amount or more every week or so .
     I honestly beleive it's the demand more so the production .
  Gene

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
hey Gene good to see you on buddy :)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#3]
To echo High-Speed, most issue gear has it's limitations, most surrounding the low-bid process of manufacturing. That being said, my reserve unit is looking forward to another mobilization in early 2007 and we've already been given the word to start picking up and training with our own gear of choice. So long as the camo pattern is compatable, the command is ok with us buying and using whatever gear works for us. My unit has a cross-section of equipment from all the high-end gear suppliers and the failure rate has been very low in our training and field exercises. Not that we're looking forward to another deployment but at least we'll be better equipted than last time around in 2003. That trip was a real clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
hey Gene good to see you on buddy :)

+1, Glad to have you Gene! For those who don't know HSGI, they make some of the best gear on the planet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that most of the gear shops, with the obvious exceptions of Blackhawk, and I'm guessing Eagle, are still pretty small.  Tactical Tailor for instance is a pretty small facility.    I've only been in the sewing area once, when they fixed a mag pouch I brought home with me on leave, and it didn't seem like there were much more than maybe 20 people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top