Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/18/2006 5:25:15 PM EDT
I'm not wanting to go into business or anything, just wanting to make my own gear for something to do (hobby).

My questions are, where can I get cordura nylon, ballistic nylon, or any other stuff I might need for my stuff to be worthy of abuse? Where can I get it in the colors I want like coyote tan, O.D. green, and other camouflage type colors? This stuff won't be for looks, it will be used, and used hard, so I need the good stuff.

Advice on what materials to use is welcome as well. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm confident I can make what I need, if given a little bit of guidance to get me started...

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:27:40 PM EDT
Check THIS THREAD over at Lightfighter in their Roll Your Own forum.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:41:45 PM EDT
I just became a member, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:48:55 AM EDT
Tactical Concealment: codura in green and tan/coyote, webbing (1” and 2”), nylon mesh, and nylon thread. Get their print catalogue because the prices are cheaper ($.95/yard vs $6.50/yard for webbing). There are also items in the print catalogue that are not on their web page (heavier weight mesh and webbing). Also they have online ordering, and no min order.

Supply Captain: look under build your own gear. Velcro in all the popular colors and ITW products. And online ordering.

Other places:
Seattle Fabrics: just about everything you could want except tactical colors, but still worth a look.

J Caroline: webbing and grosgrain ribbon

An example of what you can do:
Roll your own MOLLE vest

I’m sure EGG will be along in a bit with better information and advice. I wish I would have had him look over my plan before I put it all together. At least it was a good learning experience.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:12:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spaatz:
J Caroline: webbing and grosgrain ribbon

Sweet, that's one thing I'd never found a good source for. Does the grosgrain seem sturdy? I used some regular brown ribbon from a craft/fabric store to trim a VS-17 panel and don't think it'll stand up to anything heavier.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:49:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SlimHazy:
Does the grosgrain seem sturdy? I used some regular brown ribbon from a craft/fabric store to trim a VS-17 panel and don't think it'll stand up to anything heavier.

It doesn’t feel quite as sturdy as the grosgrain ribbon on gear from major manufactures, but it does seem stronger than regular ribbon from a fabric store. I haven’t had a chance to really test out. When I do I’ll post the results.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:54:57 PM EDT
Wife and I dont owned a sewing machin,but was wondering if a reg sewing machin would work?

I like making alteration to my gear.

TG
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:38:59 PM EDT
You really need a industrial walking foot machine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:27:28 PM EDT
Time - patience - more time - more patience -> stomped fingers ->stitched fingers

Research -> reverse engineering -> investment in $$$

More Time - and a machine with nut! ie. an industrial sewing machine.

EGG
Top Top